Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2012   #1
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected
Default PFF Three Years of Drop Rate for Wide Receivers - Sticky Fingers

Once again we are shown that Kevin Walter has hands like a tree frog.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...ide-receivers/

Quote:
...up at the top thereís a name that wonít surprise many Bears fans but may surprise many others. Earl Bennett, with just four drops from 127 catchable balls, has the lowest drop percentage of just 3.15%. That wasnít much better than the ever-excellent Larry Fitzgerald who continues to show remarkable consistency with his hands, dropping an average of three balls each season and just 3.27% of catchable balls. Behind him are less-heralded players like Kevin Walter and Lance Moore, while San Diego fans will be happy to see Malcom Floyd with the fifth-lowest drop percentage, and new signing Robert Meachem down in 11th.
Quote:
Catching the ball isnít the be all and end all when it comes to receiving. You need to be able to get open and make things happen after the catch. But, fundamentally, if you donít secure the ball then your route running is wasted, and you donít even get a chance to find your way for extra yardage.
- much respect for former Texan Jabar Gaffney (number 7 on the list)
Old 07-02-2012   #2
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: PFF Three Years of Drop Rate for Wide Receivers - Sticky Fingers

Walter just never appears to get much seperation. Great hands and all, if your not open your not an option for the quarterback.

Good article.
Old 07-02-2012   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Walter just never appears to get much seperation. Great hands and all, if your not open your not an option for the quarterback.

Good article.
He's not, nor has he ever been a receiver that can get "seperation"... He's known to run good inside, "clear-out" routes... Steve Largent was never known to get separartion and was known as the "slowest receiver" EVER!!! That worked out pretty well for him and Seattle... As an aside, the Oilers effed up by not retaining him (Largent that is), no??
Old 07-02-2012   #4
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5772 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

When did Houston become HST and not HOU?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #5
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
He's not, nor has he ever been a receiver that can get "seperation"... He's known to run good inside, "clear-out" routes... Steve Largent was never known to get separartion and was known as the "slowest receiver" EVER!!! That worked out pretty well for him and Seattle... As an aside, the Oilers effed up by not retaining him (Largent that is), no??
Plenty of slow wideouts who get/got separation by route/hand play/or other nuisance. I know hes typically a 3-5 option on plays but personally I expect to see more production. At least jacoby was considered a bit of deep threat for a while.

Largent worked out pretty damn good. I was fortunate to see his last season or 2.
Old 07-02-2012   #6
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter slides in as TE on a lot of plays, I've also seen him line up at "h-back". The guy can block like a FB and catches passes thrown to him at a very high rate.

Walter may not be our Jordy Nelson who can break big plays but I also don't see Nelson motioning into the backfield as a blocker very often.

I know Walter needs to be upgraded at some point but there is very good reason he is still our #2 after all these years.
Old 07-02-2012   #7
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
When did Houston become HST and not HOU?

Pretty sure that's what they are on official scorecards.
Old 07-02-2012   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #9
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5772 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Pretty sure that's what they are on official scorecards.
Really...I have to admit that's the first time I've seen it listed that way...for that matter it's not something I really give a flip about so probably I've probably seen it a bunch of times and just didn't care. Just one of those things that seem to catch my eye this time.
Old 07-03-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Walter slides in as TE on a lot of plays, I've also seen him line up at "h-back". The guy can block like a FB and catches passes thrown to him at a very high rate.

Walter may not be our Jordy Nelson who can break big plays but I also don't see Nelson motioning into the backfield as a blocker very often.

I know Walter needs to be upgraded at some point but there is very good reason he is still our #2 after all these years.
There's also a reason they asked him to take a pay cut this off-season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #11
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Plenty of slow wideouts who get/got separation by route/hand play/or other nuisance. I know hes typically a 3-5 option on plays but personally I expect to see more production. At least jacoby was considered a bit of deep threat for a while.

Largent worked out pretty damn good. I was fortunate to see his last season or 2.
Largent was the true example of being able to cut on a dime. The guy was the best route runner of all time in my opinion. That combined with great hands is what made him an incredible receiver. You can have the best DBs line up on him but he always has the advantage becuase only he knew which direction he was going. Don't want to hijack the thread, but here's a good piece on him for those interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xngEhkD9uuA. On a side note, Zorn was a great scrambler (not by choice) and could make things happen with Largent on the fly.
Old 07-03-2012   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If I'm not mistaken, we were trading with Seattle and ended up getting Earl Campbell right? Or was that for Oscar Giles?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If I'm not mistaken, we were trading with Seattle and ended up getting Earl Campbell right? Or was that for Oscar Giles?
I think the Oilers cut him after his first training camp
Old 07-03-2012   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone notice Jabbar Gafney at 7th best drop percentage?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

Good article.
With access to the All-22 film this season, I think we'll find out for certain once and for all that this is imply untrue. He is not targeted all that frequently, but it's by design rather than ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's funny. All anyone ever seems to remember are two plays - the one that hit him in the back of the shoulder (which I believe was on Carr) and the one drop he had in or near the end zone. My memory is getting fuzzy on the early years, thankfully. But I do remember posting a statistical breakdown that showed Gaffney was a very good WR for the Texans. I believe it was after the '04 season, he had the highest catch percentage of anyone on the team, the fewest drops, and the most yards per catch, considerably ahead of AJ in the latter category. The gist of it was basically when he was targeted, Gaffney was a very productive receiver. Of course back then, DD was the primary target of every play LOL.
Old 07-03-2012   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

I just got a little sad for remembering that I posted something eight years ago.
Old 07-03-2012   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I did. Before we even saw this article.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gaff was the first player the Texans released that I truly had an issue with. The man was money over the middle.
Old 07-03-2012   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
With access to the All-22 film this season, I think we'll find out for certain once and for all that this is imply untrue. He is not targeted all that frequently, but it's by design rather than ability.
I think some of it is a bi-product of design. I'm willing to say its unreasonable to expect 70 reception seasons because of how he's used ,but he should be in the 50-60 reception range. I just dont see enough production or homerun ability.

I think hes not targeted more often because he's not open. Feel free to post screen shots ala 76 because the TV view sucks.
Old 07-03-2012   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
I think some of it is a bi-product of design. I'm willing to say its unreasonable to expect 70 reception seasons because of how he's used ,but he should be in the 50-60 reception range. I just dont see enough production or homerun ability.

I think hes not targeted more often because he's not open. Feel free to post screen shots ala 76 because the TV view sucks.
I think the routes he is asked to run are by design not open. It's his job to confuse the defense and drag a couple of defenders a couple yards off their spot while AJ or the TE goes up the seam or on a deep in route. The first game that AJ was out, for instance, Walter was targeted only once, while JJ was targeted 11 times. That tells me they weren't even trying to use Walter as their #1 WR in AJ's absence.

I'm looking forward to the All-22 to see if that's true. We shall see.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read