Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2012   #81
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub leading players-only throwing sessions

People would complain about lack of leadership if Schaub DIDN'T hold extra practices. So....whatever.

People wouldn't know leadership if it led them to leadership.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #82
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Unless they watch the games ...

Or if you watch the games ...
Watchin' ain't playin' just like ridin' shotgun ain't being behind the wheel.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #83
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is your contention that you have to be in the huddle to know if he is a leader?

My contention is that if that is the case, then he isnt.
If it isn't his, it's mine. If you aren't in the huddle to hear the confidence (or nervousness) in his voice, to pick up the certainty (or uncertainty) that we will get the job done in his tone, and to see no fear (or that deer in headlights look) in his eyes then you, no WE, don't have enough information to make a proper assessment.

If you ain't in the huddle, you're guessing.

Then again, you could get a read from what his teammates and coaches say. If you believe post-game presser-speak.
Old 07-02-2012   #84
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If it isn't his, it's mine.

If you ain't in the huddle, you're guessing.

Really?

I could watch Brett Favre play and tell he was a leader, never got the invite to the huddle though. I must be like amazing Cris Angel football voodoo man to be able to do that huh?
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #85
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really?

I could watch Brett Favre play and tell he was a leader, never got the invite to the huddle though. I must be like amazing Cris Angel football voodoo man to be able to do that huh?
Like I said at the very beginning of this, different people get motivated by different styles. Different people lead different ways.

Being vocal and demonstrative is not being a leader. You CAN be a leader and be vocal and demonstrative but it's not a requirement and a lot of people are DE-motivated by that style.

Personally, what I saw on TV from Brett Favre would NOT have motivated me and he's not a guy I've ever thought of as having leadership skills. I've always thought he was a self-centered gunslinger. BUT... I wasn't in those huddles with him. I wasn't at practice with him. I only saw on TV what the TV producers wanted me to see. Maybe he was a great leader.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #86
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Like I said at the very beginning of this, different people get motivated by different styles. Different people lead different ways.

Being vocal and demonstrative is not being a leader. You CAN be a leader and be vocal and demonstrative but it's not a requirement and a lot of people are DE-motivated by that style.

Personally, what I saw on TV from Brett Favre would NOT have motivated me and he's not a guy I've ever thought of as having leadership skills. I've always thought he was a self-centered gunslinger. BUT... I wasn't in those huddles with him. I wasn't at practice with him. I only saw on TV what the TV producers wanted me to see. Maybe he was a great leader.
Right! I said a couple of pages down-thread that there are ALL types of leaders. Demonstrative - Ray Lewis. Quiet - Roger Staubach or more close to home, AJ. There is no "cookie-cutter" example of a specific type of leader other than guys want to play for you.

Misnomer about Favre. Guys in Green Bay responded to a guy like Donald Driver moreso than Favre because they were never sure when Favre would throw some drive ending, stupid interception.
Old 07-02-2012   #87
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with this, and it kind of reminds me somewhat of Tony Dungy's approach to leading/coaching. He's not your typical NFL head coach in terms of how he deals with his players, but he managed to make it work. Same thing with a guy like Hakeem Olajuwon. He was the unquestioned leader of that team, but he wasn't an extremely vocal guy leadership wise.

I think Schaub is more than capable of being the type of guy to lead this team to a championship. After he's done doing it, then you'll have talking heads wanting other QB's to lead their team like Schaub does. Winning takes care of a lot of that stuff. Amazing isn't it?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2012   #88
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before last week’s game against the Bengals, Texans receiver Andre Johnson sought out quarterback Matt Schaub and told him he loved him.

After Johnson, who was playing in his first playoff game in a nine-year career, scored a third-quarter touchdown to extend the Texans’ lead to 14 points, he again found Schaub to give him a hug.

Schaub wasn’t in uniform for the franchise’s first playoff game. The Texans’ all-time leading passer was on crutches and wearing a walking boot because of season-ending foot surgery in November.

“I talk to Matt a lot, and he wants to be out there so bad,” said Johnson, who missed nine games this season with hamstring injuries. “I feel bad myself to see him have to sit there and watch.
Quote:
Yates appreciative

Yates said he couldn’t put a value on Schaub’s contribution.

“He’s always got something to help me out, whether it’s coming off a bad play or a bad series or coming off a good series going into the next one,” Yates said. “He’s always got something positive to say that kind of keeps me going.”

Johnson said Yates threw a lot of balls to him when he was recovering from his first hamstring injury, so the two have solid chemistry.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...uch-as-he-can/

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #89
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Really?

I don't believe your standard for leadership is Mr. I don't care what's best for the Packers I wanna unretire.
Or Mr. I'll come back if you send a private jet and beg me.
Or Mr. My Arm is only at 70-80% but I want that consecutive start record so I won't take myself out of the Jets' lineup...
Or I won't lift a finger to help prepare Aaron Rodgers take my spot when I retire...

Yeah... he's a real leader.
Old 07-02-2012   #90
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really?

Guessing about Brett Favre's "leadership", and then congratulating yourself for being "right" isn't amazing. The adjective that would best describe this action would be "laughable". Please tell me more about Brett Favre's leadership.
Old 07-03-2012   #91
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure how any one can be sure either way. Just based off what we do know though I'd tend to lean toward him being at least an ok leader.

Part of being a leader in sports is actually being good at what you do. The better you are the more people will tend to listen.

Take two guys who both say the same things and act the same way and people are going to listen more to the guy who has been more successful. The guy that people know is going to bring it on game day is the guy that they will be afraid to disappoint.

Matt does and says all the right things that you want in a leader, but I think if he has some signature moments in important games he'd have even more respect from his teammates. Guys would respond even more to him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #92
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I don't believe your standard for leadership is Mr. I don't care what's best for the Packers I wanna unretire.
Or Mr. I'll come back if you send a private jet and beg me.
Or Mr. My Arm is only at 70-80% but I want that consecutive start record so I won't take myself out of the Jets' lineup...
Or I won't lift a finger to help prepare Aaron Rodgers take my spot when I retire...

Yeah... he's a real leader.
I am talking about his career in GB not the fiasco his retirement became.

He was a field general. During the game he took control. As far as not helping Rodgers, it wasnt his job. Montana didnt help Young either. Who wants to speed up losing their job?
Old 07-03-2012   #93
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Please tell me more about Brett Favre's leadership.
You dont own a television?

They are cheap.

Must be hell following football with just a radio.
Old 07-03-2012   #94
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24274 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Farve is a "Me" first type of leader.

Schaub is a "Team" first type of leader.

Both leaders, but with a different style of leadership.
Old 07-03-2012   #95
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am talking about his career in GB not the fiasco his retirement became.

He was a field general. During the game he took control. As far as not helping Rodgers, it wasnt his job. Montana didnt help Young either. Who wants to speed up losing their job?
He wasn't a field general. He was a gunslinger. He was about taking risks and making bad decisions. He was about joking around and cutting up and not being a professional. He was about not being in his playbook and not really knowing the gameplan. He was about looking for the big score instead of the sure thing. He was a sandlot type of player. He was the kind of player who would let the other team back in the game when you had them down, the kind of player who could bring you back when you were down but who got you down in the first place.

A guy like that can be the heart and soul of the team but you don't want him to be the leader. At least, I don't want him to be the leader. That sort of guy sets the wrong example. Young players might start emulating him and start cutting up and joking around instead of taking the game seriously.

BUT. As I said before, that's just judging him by what I could see on TV. He may have been a good leader despite what he looked like.
Old 07-03-2012   #96
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He wasn't a field general. He was a gunslinger. He was about taking risks and making bad decisions. He was about joking around and cutting up and not being a professional. He was about not being in his playbook and not really knowing the gameplan. He was about looking for the big score instead of the sure thing. He was a sandlot type of player. He was the kind of player who would let the other team back in the game when you had them down, the kind of player who could bring you back when you were down but who got you down in the first place.

A guy like that can be the heart and soul of the team but you don't want him to be the leader. At least, I don't want him to be the leader. That sort of guy sets the wrong example. Young players might start emulating him and start cutting up and joking around instead of taking the game seriously.

BUT. As I said before, that's just judging him by what I could see on TV. He may have been a good leader despite what he looked like.
That's the deal, it's not us he's trying to lead, it's his team! If they respond to it that's all that matters. Some teams respond to the rah-rah of a Ray Lewis, and some to the laid-back looseness of a Brett Favre.

I look back on those Packers teams, and though i may not understand Favre's style of leadership, i see that Favre was the leader of that team and his guys were in...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #97
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
That's the deal, it's not us he's trying to lead, it's his team! If they respond to it that's all that matters. Some teams respond to the rah-rah of a Ray Lewis, and some to the laid-back looseness of a Brett Favre.

I look back on those Packers teams, and though i may not understand Favre's style of leadership, i see that Favre was the leader of that team and his guys were in...
I don't see Favre as the leader of those great Packer teams that went to the SB. I see it as Mike Holmgren and Reggie White. I see Favre as a piece of the puzzle but not the guy everyone was following. After Holmgren and White left, the Packers had some good years, some bad years. But they never got to a conference championship again until the 2007 season when Favre was surrounded by a pretty good team.

When he went to the Jets and Vikings, he didn't seem to display particularly great leadership.
Old 07-03-2012   #98
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hwhoa!

Give me a low one!

Romo "Someone show me what nutz feel like!"
Old 07-03-2012   #99
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Romo "Someone show me what nutz feel like!"
At the end of the day for all my issues with Matt, I traded Romo for him in my fantasy league. I have AJ and Arian and OD, and think he will ring up good TD numbers, and I may get a double-dip or two.

In the end ...
Old 07-03-2012   #100
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You dont own a television?

They are cheap.

Must be hell following football with just a radio.
This is a response typical of somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read