Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-29-2012   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub leading players-only throwing sessions

Different people in different lines of work have different "requirements" on someone to be a leader.

For me, I have to have someone be competent at what they do before they can claim leadership. I have to trust that the person telling me what to do knows what he's doing and knows what I need to do AND I have to trust that the "leader" has a better grasp of the overall picture than I do. I want to be able to concentrate on doing my piece of the job as well as I can without having to worry too much about all the other pieces that are around me. And I expect a leader to make sure that each of us are doing what we need to do to move everything in the right direction.

I don't need someone cheering me on and telling me I can do it and trying to make me feel good about myself. I need someone who points me in the right direction and then recognizes that I'm doing good work when I'm doing good work and points out when I'm doing bad work and possibly offers suggestions or help when I'm struggling.

Some people want rah-rah. Some people need rah-rah. Other people need their asses chewed.

I can't say if Schaub is a leader or not. I'm not in that situation doing that job with those guys. So I have no information about how good or bad a job he does. And neither does anyone else. And I don't trust team sources when they tell me whether someone's a leader. So I try to ignore the leadership issue as much as possible. It's a black-box.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #42
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Different people in different lines of work have different "requirements" on someone to be a leader.

For me, I have to have someone be competent at what they do before they can claim leadership. I have to trust that the person telling me what to do knows what he's doing and knows what I need to do AND I have to trust that the "leader" has a better grasp of the overall picture than I do. I want to be able to concentrate on doing my piece of the job as well as I can without having to worry too much about all the other pieces that are around me. And I expect a leader to make sure that each of us are doing what we need to do to move everything in the right direction.

I don't need someone cheering me on and telling me I can do it and trying to make me feel good about myself. I need someone who points me in the right direction and then recognizes that I'm doing good work when I'm doing good work and points out when I'm doing bad work and possibly offers suggestions or help when I'm struggling.

Some people want rah-rah. Some people need rah-rah. Other people need their asses chewed.

I can't say if Schaub is a leader or not. I'm not in that situation doing that job with those guys. So I have no information about how good or bad a job he does.

And neither does anyone else.
Best to speak for yourself. You don't have the privilege of knowing what other people know, or don't know, about "how good or bad a job he does".
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Something with a hard shell protecting from being stepped on would make me feel better?
An upper hard shell is not what you need. If he has someone step on the top of the foot, you need the underfoot orthotic to prevent his mid foot from flattening out and again displacing the Lisfranc joint. Laces on top should be enough to maintain the foot securely to the orthotic. Actually, a hard shell against the top of the boney structures of a relatively freshly repaired foot wouldn't feel to good to begin with.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Best to speak for yourself. You don't have the privilege of knowing what other people know, or don't know, about "how good or bad a job he does".
I know that none of the known, regular posters posting on this board knows how good or bad a job Schaub does at leading the team.
Old 06-29-2012   #45
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

As a regular "poster" on this board, I must point out that I don't know $^!+.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
As a regular "poster" on this board, I must point out that I don't know $^!+.
You were exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Old 06-29-2012   #47
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know that none of the known, regular posters posting on this board knows how good or bad a job Schaub does at leading the team.
How?
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2012   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
How?
What the heck is it you are asserting you know? Right now you look argumentative for no reason. If you think you have some source then stop dancing and put it out there.
Old 06-29-2012   #49
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How?
The only way to know is if you're in the huddle with him.

None of the known, regular posters are players. If there are players posting on this board, then they're not known, regular posters. Most (if not all) of the people taking part in this discussion are known, regular posters.

Therefore, the discussion is between a bunch of people who don't really know and can't really say.
Old 06-29-2012   #50
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless they watch the games ...

Quote:
The only way to know is if you're in the huddle with him.
Or if you watch the games ...
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Unless they watch the games ...

Or if you watch the games ...
Pony up big dog. You are making the assertion. Give all the examples you can of Schaub being a poor leader. Give us all your insight on what he said in the huddle. Give us what you know about his demeanor. Give us how you know the other ten players quit on him because they didn't believe in him. Give us anything to support your stupid conjecture..
Old 06-29-2012   #52
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanna know why it's PLAYERS only throwing sessions. Why can't I go throw the ball around. I'm not even a girl or anything (no, this is not debatable).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I wanna know why it's PLAYERS only throwing sessions. Why can't I go throw the ball around. I'm not even a girl or anything (no, this is not debatable).
I doubt if anyone wants to debate whether that is debatable.
Old 06-29-2012   #54
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I am interested to hear how everyone defines leadership, whether it be their personal experience playing ball or in biz life.
KT, interesting question. I define leadership by what guys do that other guys look up to. I don't think you necessarily have to be super-demonstrative like Ray Lewis (and applies to Cushing), although that works. There's also guys like AJ and even Schaub to a certain degree who are (for lack of a better description) are quiet, but are still able to get it done on the field. Then, there are rare leaders that do it on the field but are not the normal professional athlete and of course I mean Arian Foster (and potentially Watt, Barwin on defense, Braman on special teams). There are also guys like Duane Brown.
Old 06-29-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

To me, leadership is being able to instill in your team that you'll walk to hell & back to make them successful.

2009, when Andre was rolling people over, dragging DBs 7-8 yards, fighting for every yard... I can't imagine another guy on that team not trying to play as hard. If he's going to do that, so that I can win a game.... well, what am I going to do.

I think that was a special year, even though we only went 9-7. That's the first time I saw that kind of leadership from the teams leaders. Nothing wrong with quietly doing your job & being an example in the gym. But we need people on the field to get the point across, "this isn't just a game, this is important, & it means something, & I didn't come here to lose."

That year, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that Matt Schaub would've walked through fire to make his team winners for the first time.

Remember little Stevie Slaton (not 2009 of course). When he just wouldn't go down. He'd stay up as long as he could, then the rest of the team would push the pile forward.

Domanic Davis had that in him too..... to bad about them knees.

Dunta Robinson..... before the injury.

But they've got to feel that you're doing it for them. I don't know how you get them to believe that, other than genuinely thinking about the team before yourself.
Old 06-29-2012   #56
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What the heck is it you are asserting you know? Right now you look argumentative for no reason. If you think you have some source then stop dancing and put it out there.
I'm not asserting anything. The original poster actually made a pretty broad sweeping assertion. All I asked was how he knew.

If you have an issue with unsubstantiated assertions, ask him.
Old 06-29-2012   #57
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not asserting anything. The original poster actually made a pretty broad sweeping assertion. All I asked was how he knew.

If you have an issue with unsubstantiated assertions, ask him.
Are you CKHouston posting under two names? Because Cak was talking to CKHouston, not you.

My broad, sweeping assertions were that:
1) Different people respond to different kinds of leaders and that some people respond to rah-rah guys and some people don't.
2) No one who's posting here knows if Schaub is a good leader or not because you'd have to be on the team to know.

CKHouston disagrees with point #2 and believes that you can see leadership on a TV screen or from the stands. Cak was asking him, not you, to back up his statement that he could divine whether Schaub was a leader by things he could see from a distance.
Old 06-29-2012   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
To me, leadership is being able to instill in your team that you'll walk to hell & back to make them successful.
To answer KT's question I think you illustrate two facets of leadership.

Quote:
2009, when Andre was rolling people over, dragging DBs 7-8 yards, fighting for every yard.
Quote:
That year, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that Matt Schaub would've walked through fire to make his team winners for the first time.

Remember little Stevie Slaton (not 2009 of course). When he just wouldn't go down. He'd stay up as long as he could, then the rest of the team would push the pile forward.
Quote:
But they've got to feel that you're doing it for them. I don't know how you get them to believe that, other than genuinely thinking about the team before yourself.
I think the team knows Schaub will do his absolute best and he does everything to lead them to inspire their best. Then there is individual achievement. Nobody wants to let Dre down. It isn't just fans who know they need to get Dre into the game, into the hall. Dre is an overall inspiration, an aspirational one. Schaub inspires day to day, calling people, holding work-outs, being first in and last out. Sometimes just having faith in someone is leadership. I've told the story in the NSZ that I sent someone off to jail - when he got back I gave him the pig and he turned into a great gunner. He wasn't individually a leader but in his performance he was an inspiration. Little f#$ker was half the size of Texan Bill.
Old 06-30-2012   #59
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Pony up big dog. You are making the assertion. Give all the examples you can of Schaub being a poor leader. Give us all your insight on what he said in the huddle. Give us what you know about his demeanor. Give us how you know the other ten players quit on him because they didn't believe in him. Give us anything to support your stupid conjecture..
Watch the games.

If you cant see it, there is nothing I can do to educate you.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #60
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Watch the games.

If you cant see it, there is nothing I can do to educate you.
Agree. In sports, not only is leadership visible, it is apparent. There is one natural leader on our team in my opinion, and that is Brian Cushing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read