Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-27-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bennie Joppru's Curse Continues

A sad continuum of maladies continue to follow Joppru.

Quote:
May 19, 2012 at 1:00 am
Former U-M tight end Bennie Joppru, 32, recovering from stroke

By Angelique S. Chengelis
The Detroit News

Tight end Bennie Joppru celebrates a 43-yard reception in the second quarter of a game during his Michigan career. Recently, he suffered a stroke.
Tight end Bennie Joppru celebrates a 43-yard reception in the second quarter of a game during his Michigan career. Recently, he suffered a stroke. (David Guralnick/Detroit News)

Ann Arbor— The words came so freely, so matter-of-fact, but were so stunning he was asked to repeat.

"I had a stroke last December."

These are not the words you expect to hear from a 32-year-old former Michigan football player. Not from a guy who looks as healthy as ever.

But Bennie Joppru, who just minutes before had been so engaging and humorous during a WTKA radiothon interview Friday as part of a weekend-long fund-raiser for Mott Hospital, made the revelation as he finished adding his signature to a Michigan flag to be auctioned.

Wait. What? A stroke?

"I was brushing my teeth, and my entire right side from my head to my toes went numb," said Joppru, a 2002 team captain who holds Michigan's single-season reception record for a tight end with 53.

He figured it was a pinched nerve in his back but finally thought better of it and went to the hospital, where he spent six days and endured a battery of tests. The results were inconclusive.

During his two seasons with the Seattle Seahawks in 2006 and '07, Joppru suffered from ocular migraines. In contact drills, Joppru said he frequently suffered blackouts.

Initially, neurologists thought he might have brain cancer.

"My vision would go fuzzy," he said of the migraines. "You literally can't see."

Doctors couldn't tell Joppru why he had a stroke.

"They said it could be repetitive-injury related," he said. "They thought it was probably related to that same problem (ocular migraines). The final conclusion was sometimes this happens in healthy 30 year olds."

He referred to it as not "a real big stroke," but big, medium, little — a stroke is a stroke.

"Yeah, I was scared," he said.

Joppru doesn't know if it was the result of his football career. Even so, knowing what he knows about the rigors of the game and what it can do to you physically, like many players ever asked, Joppru said he'd do it all over again.

"Oh, yeah," he said.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy cow. Guy can't catch a break.
Old 06-27-2012   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bennie Joppru's Curse Continues

The thing I like most about Bennie is his name! Just has a certain kind of ring to it that makes ya smile!

I wish him nothing but the best of good health in the future!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW!!Just wow!!! Good luck Bennie and take care of yourself.
Old 06-27-2012   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a stunner !
Take care BJ, you deserve nothing but good fortune from here on out to 90 +.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Poor guy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #7
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Poor guy.
Agreed. I think he was one of the first Michigan players we had on our team and I was rooting for him. Could have been a Pro Bowl player IMO but I guess it was never meant to be.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read