Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Could this be our vet? Had a restful couple of years in jail and still showed something last year with a pretty pitiful QB. I'm sure McNair would insist that his contract reads, "I promise not to carry a firearm, especially into a bar. But if I do, I promise to wear a bulletproof cup to protect my performance-based testosterone."
NFL Rumors: Will Plaxico Burress End Up With The Houston Texans?

One of the NFL rumors that surfaced Tuesday was that the Houston Texans are interested in Plaxico Burress. The wide receiver needs a job, and the Texans need another wideout.

Burress spent last year with the New York Jets after sitting out of the NFL all together for the 2009-10 seasons due to a two-year prison sentence he received in September 2009 after pleading guilty to one count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon.

The former Super Bowl XLII hero and then-New York Giants teammate Antonio Pierce were at the LQ nightclub in Manhattan late November 2008 when the gun Burress was carrying in his waistband accidentally went off and shot him in the thigh. Pierce drove Burress to the hospital where the incident was not reported to police and two days later Burress turned himself in on charges of criminal possession of a handgun. The handgun was not licensed in New Jersey (where he lived) or New York and his license to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Florida had expired in May of that year. The Giants released Burress in April 2009.

One month following his release from prison in June 2011, Burress said during an interview on the NFL Network:

“When you say Houston, all I can say is ‘Wow,’ ” Burress said. “That’s all I can say, because I give respect where respect is due. And I believe Andre Johnson is the best wide receiver in football. … The way he’s playing down in Houston, they’re getting everything going in the right direction. Matt Schaub has really taken off as an elite quarterback. I think Arian Foster is one of the top-five running backs in this league. I think that team is bound for the playoffs this year and looking forward to great things.”

Currently the Houston Texans have two wide receivers that have caught an NFL pass – Johnson and Kevin Walter. They brought in veteran Mike Sims-Walker for a three-day tryout during mini-camp earlier this month but Sims-Walker did not sign with Houston and is still a free agent.

Burress comes with age (he turns 35 in August) and baggage, but he also has an upside. The Jets finished the 2011 season averaging 206 yards passing per game while Mark Sanchez had a completion percentage of 56.7% and a 78.2 QB rating. Yet Burress had 45 catches for 612 yards and eight touchdowns.

The 6’5” Burress adds a big target and NFL experience to the defending AFC South Champions. With Johnson coming off of arthroscopic knee surgery in May and a very young and inexperienced receiving corps behind him, the upside might be too much for the Texans to pass up.

Well, probably just another media speculation, BUT, if fans can forgive Michael, the dog killer, VICK, then why not Plaxico? If he still has what it takes to get the job done, then bring him on, at least for a tryout. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! JMO!:bubbles:

Well, probably just another media speculation, BUT, if fans can forgive Michael, the dog killer, VICK, then why not Plaxico? If he still has what it takes to get the job done, then bring him on, at least for a tryout. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! JMO!:bubbles:

What did Plax do beside shoot HIMSELF? Nothing for anyone to forgive.

What did Plax do beside shoot HIMSELF? Nothing for anyone to forgive.

He has had domestic disturbance issues and acting like jackass when partying issues throughout his career. that article reads like a dude (well chick) speculating randomly versus a "connected" rumor, but who really knows.

I have wanted him for a vet minimum deal since before free agency started. He warrants coverage across from AJ, and that's really all we need. He would help open up the run game and provide a big target for the QB. I believe he would be a great #3 or 4 WR that could help this team. Give him a chance and drop Dwight Jones off the roster if needed. He has been waiting long enough, I'm sure he will be cheap now.

Gma... BTW, I miss you darlin' through this brutal offseason (missing ALL my beloveds from Blue Crew and/or "the Bull Pen").... EFF it, give it a shot,NO???

I'd be up for this, he's had his issues but what kids don't when you give them millions of dollars, I'd had been in the titty bar 24x7 right with Bill.

He seems to be really confident and motivated listening to a couple of his interviews last week. I don't see it happening based on our team's MO, but I wouldn't be upset about it. He provides a legit red zone threat and should be a lot better than he was last year with a full year to train and get his legs under him.

Would be a great pickup simply because it would give Shaub another big target. He is basically Kevin Walter squared. Would really make a difference in the red zone. Shouldn't cost much either. Really a no loose situation.

This is one of the few times I actually think bringing in a veteran receiver can help. He certainly has the physical abilities and would be good compliment to AJ.

Bring him in. The Texans organization has matured enough to say to him "one **** up, one ANYTHING, and you're gone."

Make that known, and let's see what he's got.

I would be ecstatic to see this happen. Dude can still be a very good RZ threat, and I think all of his troubles and poor attitude problems are behind him. We wouldn't need him to be a star, and this could potentially really help this receiving core. Please let this be true and get it done Smithinair. :bubbles:

Rumored by whom? Internet blogs? I don't see anything about this on PFT's rumor mill? Is it really a rumor if it's not on Pro Football Talk? I think not.

Bring him in. The Texans organization has matured enough to say to him "one **** up, one ANYTHING, and you're gone."

Make that known, and let's see what he's got.

sounds like something you would say to T.O. or Ocho.. Burress isnt that type of guy..

Bring him in... Being also a Giants fan, I loved the guy there.. he wasn't a problem with them. He wasn't a problem with the Jets either. He shot himself, he paid the price.. damn fool. BUT, put him on the other side of AJ and more so in the red zone, good luck deciding which guy to double.. PB can still get up there and make those plays.
If he wants to come here, I would be more than happy !

Said it last year and I'll say it again this year, heck yes I'd bring him in. It'd be a team friendly contract, which means we could whack him if it doesn't work out

I'm in agreement with those who say he's worth the shot. I can think of one game where had he been there instead of Jacoby it's a W instead of a L. Yes, the Raiders game with 8 ticks left. I have all the confidence in the world that had he been behind the defender instead of #12 we'd have witnessed a fade to the corner a lob and a leap. Red zone completion, touchdown and game over. 11 & 5 instead of 10 & 6.

Sure he made a bad judgment call but who of us haven't? I don't have a bullet hole in my leg but do have a hole in my head. Both results of a bad decision.

From the bidness side though with his accrued seasons in the league puts him in the little less than (or is it 'then':kitten:) a mill a season. Is he worth it for his role and if he is can we afford him? Real question.

I'm in agreement with those who say he's worth the shot. I can think of one game where had he been there instead of Jacoby it's a W instead of a L. Yes, the Raiders game with 8 ticks left. I have all the confidence in the world that had he been behind the defender instead of #12 we'd have witnessed a fade to the corner a lob and a leap. Red zone completion, touchdown and game over. 11 & 5 instead of 10 & 6.

Sure he made a bad judgment call but who of us haven't? I don't have a bullet hole in my leg but do have a hole in my head. Both results of a bad decision.

From the bidness side though with his accrued seasons in the league puts him in the little less than (or is it 'then':kitten:) a mill a season. Is he worth it for his role and if he is can we afford him? Real question.

Pun intended?

:bravo:

He was kind of a knucklehead for a couple of years with the Giants when he was fined every week for something it seems like. But being locked up will change a man. The thing I worry about with him is will he be content with not seeing the ball a lot? We run only so many plays on offense a game. Arian is going to see his 20 plus touches a game, Tate 10, Andre 5-10, OD, Walter, and you also have to get at least 1 or 2 of the young guys some extensive same experience.

If he understands that he may only see 2-5 balls thrown his way a game then I'm all for it. If he thinks he'd be coming here to catch 75 plus passes then it probably won't be a good fit.

Gma... BTW, I miss you darlin' through this brutal offseason (missing ALL my beloveds from Blue Crew and/or "the Bull Pen").... EFF it, give it a shot,NO???

Miss ya too Bill!! This off season has been the worst one so far, IMHO. Hope to see a lot of my Blue Crew boys and gals at TC, if I'm up to going this year. Gettin OLD and this heat takes it's toll! BUT, if they sign PB I'll make a point to be there. For some dumb reason I have a good feeling about him. BUT, I'll believe it when I actually see it!! I hope they give him a shot! :)

Miss ya too Bill!! This off season has been the worst one so far, IMHO. Hope to see a lot of my Blue Crew boys and gals at TC, if I'm up to going this year. Gettin OLD and this heat takes it's toll! BUT, if they sign PB I'll make a point to be there. For some dumb reason I have a good feeling about him. BUT, I'll believe it when I actually see it!! I hope they give him a shot! :)

There's that word again. :D

A troublemaker who was a WR1 that caught the game winning TD in the SB.

Nah, he's not a Rick/Gary kind of guy.

Randy Moss is an example of what happens when good players find ways to limit their own success with new teams.

With the Patriots and Titans, Randy Moss blew it big time.

Burress could come here and fall apart trying to learn the offense and being forced to play within its limits. He could just as easily do really well, though, but still...it's not a lock that the guy comes here and picks up the offense and performs as well as some think.

And nobody knows that his asking price is low all of a sudden. I thought that there was a vet minimum anyways, which means he's not going to be had for a few hundred thousand dollars like rookies are.

Here is really the only input about it. He just made a comment on the Texans. Nothing confirmed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25205/plaxico-burress-like-the-texans

You know the media, take it and run with it......All though I would be all for it!

Not picking on you or anything, but when you said "He just made a comment on the Texans" it might come off to some readers here that he literally JUST made a comment about the Texans.

I thought that very thing, went to the blog entry and saw it was from July 2011.

Going to be hard for the Texans to spend that money on him when we have only $4 million of cap space. We need that money for emergency moves if we need a replacement due to freak injury over the summer or early reg season.

Ummmmm, domestic violence? :thinking:

Hummmmm! That kinda reminds me of someone else who made it BIG in pro-football, even made the HOF! Not gonna mention a name cause just the thought of him makes me want to puke!! BUT, just goes to say that some of these guys with a "troubled/checkered" past can still contribute a lot as a football player.

IF, PB can help take our team to the SB, and help get AJ that coveted RING we all want him to have before he retires, then give the man a chance. He definitley has the experience! JMO!

Not picking on you or anything, but when you said "He just made a comment on the Texans" it might come off to some readers here that he literally JUST made a comment about the Texans.

I thought that very thing, went to the blog entry and saw it was from July 2011.

Going to be hard for the Texans to spend that money on him when we have only $4 million of cap space. We need that money for emergency moves if we need a replacement due to freak injury over the summer or early reg season.

I'm not sure how many years of service he has credited to him in the NFL, but his vet minimum price should be in the 700-900k range. In any case, if he signs for vet minimum, he will only count 540k against the cap + any signing bonus (ex. our new punter got about 60k). 540k isn't bad, but the guy needs to be worth the extra couple 100k for the club to be willing to spend it on him. In contrast, an UDFA only costs 390k, so the caphit difference is somewhat minimal. It's good to pinch pennies, but if he turns out to be a true upgrade, 150k is worth it.

This is all assuming he will take vet min, if he won't I'd pass.

And nobody knows that his asking price is low all of a sudden. I thought that there was a vet minimum anyways, which means he's not going to be had for a few hundred thousand dollars like rookies are.

Vet minimum for him would be about $925k. If he signed for that he would be eligible for a vet exception on the cap which would make his cap hit half that.

This is all assuming he will take vet min, if he won't I'd pass.

/Thread.

He won't' sign for vet minimum. Maybe he will next year, not this year.

Some team is going to panic in camp, and they'll pay him above vet minimum.

IMO a true WR2 of his size is worth a couple million, I'd worry about needing cap for emergency when emergency occurs. WR2 is shakiest spot we have.

Well, this much I know:

If any of us think Kubiak & Co. have NOT looked into adding Burress, either last year or as recently as today, we're fooling ourselves.

1. They've checked into it.

2. They aren't moving on Burress yet. Why?

3. He could be added today, tomorrow, next week, or even the days leading up to reg season. Who knows. Until then, 31 other teams are all discussing whether they need Burress or not....and none of them have signed him.

4. Perhaps he isn't signed yet because he is asking more than teams want to pay him? Maybe teams are waiting. Who knows.

So really this is a dead topic. Yeah, we've discussed it. Some say yes, some say no, others don't know. My only two cents into the discussion is that there has to be a financial reason why none of the 32 teams have this guy on their roster yet. Therefore, this whole idea that he'll take the vet minimum and we can handle that vet minimum amount...it's not a good argument, IMO.

To me, last year when he was throwing out the Texans name in every other comment he made to the media...he had that mindset that the Texans were an ATM...the place where guys like Ahman Green go to get royally rich. He signs with the Jets last year, and now he's not mentioning us NOW is he??? That tells me that he's priced himself out of contention here, and he knows it.

We'll never know if that's true, but if he was that pumped up about the prospects of playing here LAST year...then he would have signed with us already even if for only a 1-year deal. I think he's holding out for as much as he can get PLUS not having to report to a team and do all the team stuff (like sweating in the heat of OTAs!).

If he signs here, it will be because he came off his cloud and took less than he was asking. Or...Kubiak flinched first and felt he needed a vet because the rookies are testing his nerves with so much on the line this year.

An interesting recent radio interview:
Plaxico Burress on Team’s Interest in Signing Him: “It’s been there but it’s just getting to the right fit.”
June 19, 2012 – 11:10 am by Chris Fedor

After two years away from the game of football, Plaxico Burress hauled in 45 catches for 645 yards and scored eight touchdowns for the New York Jets last season. However this offseason, Burress has received little to no interest from NFL teams and remains a free agent looking for his next opportunity. While Burress clearly suffered from two seasons away from the game, the 34-year-old receiver showed last year in the Big Apple that he is still a red zone threat because of his size and he still has the ability to do some damage in the passing game in the right situation. When that opportunity presents itself is really anyone’s guess but it looks like the once Super Bowl hero may have to wait for an injury to a wide receiver in a team’s training camp to get his shot, despite his constant begging.

Plaxico Burress joined WFNZ in Charlotte with the Mac Attack to talk about how he feels, whether Carolina would be his preferred destination to play in 2012, why he thinks there has been no interest in him, if he will play with a chip on his shoulder in 2012 given how little interest he has received this offseason, if he thinks he will be better this year than he was last year and what he would say to the people that think he would disrupt the chemistry in a team’s locker room.

How he feels this offseason:

“I feel great. Last year I was really just trying to get my legs under me from the two year layoff and I think people are going to be surprised by the shape I’m in. I got my spring back and I’m just waiting and I think everyone else will see for themselves.”

If Carolina is his preferred destination to play in 2012:

“No doubt about it. My brother lives right there in Charlotte, my cousin lives there in Charlotte and all my family is there in Columbia, South Carolina. It would just be a great situation all the way around and being close to everybody. Not just that but playing with Cam (Newton) who I think is one of the top five quarterbacks in all of football and as long as I can remember Steve Smith has been one of my favorites. I just think it’s a great situation.”

Why he thinks there hasn’t been a strong interest in him this offseason:

“It’s been there but it’s just getting to the right fit. I’ve been around and I understand the game from a mental standpoint, I’m very knowledgeable about the guys out there that are playing. I know what they do well and what they don’t do well and I just want to put myself in a position to go out and have success and to go out and make guys around me better. And obviously play with a quarterback who can really play the position. It’s about me picking my spots and seeing where I’m a good fit. You just look at a situation like Carolina and you can’t come across a better situation than that. Playing with Steve Smith, who is a guy that demands a double team, you look at a guy like Greg Olsen getting up and down the seams and you put a guy like me on the back side and teams have trouble saying ‘who are we going to cover? Who are we going to double?’ I’ve been playing this game for a long time and it comes down to matchups. You put guys in one-on-one situations and guys win. It’s a place that I would love to come play and we will see what happens.”

Whether he will play with a chip on his shoulder this season towards the Panthers if they don’t sign him:

“No it’s not just directed at one team. When you’re a competitor, when you’re a football player, me I challenge myself to prove to myself that I can still go out and play this game at a high level which I know I can. I went out and scored eight touchdowns last year. I’m going to be better than that this year. Teams haven’t seen me, what kind of shape I’m in, haven’t seen me workout and all I keep doing is going and going, I have my legs back and everybody is going to be in for a pleasant surprise when I hit the football field this year.”

If he thinks he can play better than he did last season:

“There’s no doubt about it. I did those things on the football field last year after being out of football for two years and I didn’t have a preseason, I twisted my ankle the first day of camp, played three quarters of football going into the season after being out for two years and there I am starting on Sunday night playing football with four catches and a touchdown so I feel great. I’m just looking for the opportunity to get back on the field and show that I can still do it and do it at a high level.”

What he would say to the people that believe he would disrupt team chemistry:

“When you’re talking about chemistry all I want to do is run up and down the field, catch footballs, score touchdowns, have fun and make an impact, go out and be consistent and help the guys around me. As far as people saying they don’t want me to come there because I’m going to mess things up then everyone is entitled to their opinion. They do what they do for a living and I do what I do for a living. You can ask any of the guys I’ve ever played with about being a guy in the locker room that everybody likes and treated everybody the same, that’s who I am. For the people saying those things, maybe they don’t know me and being their job and what they do, I don’t know them.”

At this point, he just wants a job... and to get paid. I bet you could ask him about every single team out there and he'd be able to give you reasons why he'd be a good fit and why he'd like to be there.

I wouldn't hate having him here because I think he'd give us a better season than several of our young guys. I don't think he'd push KW out of the #2 spot.

Back