Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-26-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brooks Reed is not the player you think

The truth is being recognized.

From NFL.com

Quote:
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
June 26, 2012 at 10:55 a.m.

Reed and Watt were the first rookie duo in 15 years to notch at least five sacks apiece. Reed's pass-rush production fell off with no sacks in his final five regular season, but his playoff success shows why Reed is ready to break out.

Not the player you think

Reed came into the league with a reputation as a potentially dynamic pass rusher that would be weak against the run. That proved to be far from the truth. Reed was solid as a pass rusher as a rookie, but he was arguably better against the run. He has the size and strength to set the edge well lining up as a defensive end or outside linebacker.

"Hes the strongest guy on our team," teammate Connor Barwin said this summer.

We re-watched every snap from Reed against the Ravens in the playoffs. We were impressed by how technically sound, strong, and versatile he was. Reed recorded 13.5 tackles and a forced fumble in the two playoff games mostly due to strength and effort. He lined up all over the field, including at inside linebacker occasionally. He can cover when asked. If Reed hit a rookie wall during the season, it crumbled in January.

The Texans drafted Whitney Mercilus in the first round in part to serve as insurance with Barwin in a contract year. It will take time for Mercilus to get regular snaps playing behind Barwin and Reed.

Reed, a second round pick last year, is a different player than analysts expected coming out of Arizona. He's ready to make a bigger impact than expected starting now.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks Reed is not the player you think

Reed ranked 7th out of 28 3-4 OLBs against the run in 2011 -- ProFootballFocus
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Wade was a bit shocked Reed fell to us in the 2nd round.

What I like about Wade Phillips is that he knows who to target, and he doesn't flinch when he senses he's been given a gift. The selections of Watt and Reed might be the best back-to-back picks in Texans history.
Old 06-26-2012   #4
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

That's obviously an exaggeration if not down right silly, but I'll be serious (even if Barwin won't). I always thought they drafted another edge-rusher in the first-round to play next to Barwin, but maybe the Texans are thinking that their long-term pairing will be Mercilus and Reed because they don't want to pay Barwin
the going rate in free-agency next winter ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #6
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
That's obviously an exaggeration if not down right silly, but I'll be serious (even if Barwin won't). I always thought they drafted another edge-rusher in the first-round to play next to Barwin, but maybe the Texans are thinking that their long-term pairing will be Mercilus and Reed because they don't want to pay Barwin
Teams like the Giants and Steelers draft pass rushers seemingly every year. They use rotations and allow younger players to adjust to the rigors and complexity of the pro game. Then when a passrusher becomes too expensive, they let him walk, go to the next man on the depth chart, and draft another one.

If you do it right, its the right way to go.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Teams like the Giants and Steelers draft pass rushers seemingly every year. They use rotations and allow younger players to adjust to the rigors and complexity of the pro game. Then when a passrusher becomes too expensive, they let him walk, go to the next man on the depth chart, and draft another one.

If you do it right, its the right way to go.
Yep as I mentioned on my 2013 mock, Mercilus could step into a starter role with Reed when Barwin's deal ends.

Reed is exactly who I thought he was. Remember discussing with Beerlover and Rmartin65 that we thought he was a first round guy. We were all extremely excited when he was there round two.
Old 06-26-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think barwin is a much better player than both merci and reed. I think if barwin shines and we let him walk we take a step back with reed and merci.

I'm really hoping merci proves me wrong, but I'm not a huge fan if the pick. And i don't think reed is some kind of under cover star either. I think both of them together make a solid compliment opposite barwin whom I think is a stud.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
IIRC, Wade was a bit shocked Reed fell to us in the 2nd round.

What I like about Wade Phillips is that he knows who to target, and he doesn't flinch when he senses he's been given a gift. The selections of Watt and Reed might be the best back-to-back picks in Texans history.
Cushing and Barwin

Watt and Reed

AJ and whoever was picked in the 2nd rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #10
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario and DeMeco.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Well maybe he meant pound for pound the strongest. All I know is that Barwin is making a strong statement and I'll take his word for it. He is a beast, but for some reason I think Mercilous will have the highest potential out of all of them. We're going to have the best pass rush in the league!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yep as I mentioned on my 2013 mock, Mercilus could step into a starter role with Reed when Barwin's deal ends.

Reed is exactly who I thought he was. Remember discussing with Beerlover and Rmartin65 that we thought he was a first round guy. We were all extremely excited when he was there round two.
I thought for sure he'd be a Patriot.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
AJ and whoever was picked in the 2nd rd.
Bennie Joppru?

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #14
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Bennie Joppru?

Freakin jop. I was cussing at the tv the second I saw the selection.
Old 06-27-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Bennie Joppru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
FYI, I posted this recent piece of Joppru in the National Football League Forum.

Bennie Joppru, 32, recovering from stroke
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Thanks

Asserly
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The selections of Watt and Reed might be the best back-to-back picks in Texans history.

Really? The competition is pretty stiff.

2006: Mario & Demeco. Neither guy is on the team now, but they were the defense from '06-'09

2009: Cushing & Barwin. That's got to be at least comparable to Watt/Reed.

Gots to be.
Old 06-27-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think barwin is a much better player than both merci and reed. I think if barwin shines and we let him walk we take a step back with reed and merci.

I'm really hoping merci proves me wrong, but I'm not a huge fan if the pick. And i don't think reed is some kind of under cover star either. I think both of them together make a solid compliment opposite barwin whom I think is a stud.
Ignoring the cap, I'd agree with you, but there is that little cap thinngy. Barwin is gonna want big bucks that Texans may choose to not give. You cannot say "don't let a stud get away" but not address the other FAs who will also want big money. Schaub, Brown and perhaps Butler come before Barwin as of today. If someone steps up who can replace Rashad then Barwin moves up to third need.
Old 06-27-2012   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ignoring the cap, I'd agree with you, but there is that little cap thinngy. Barwin is gonna want big bucks that Texans may choose to not give.
Not sure where you get Barwin is going to demand a gigantic contract. I like him but his leverage isn't sky high yet. He hasn't made a pro-bowl. He isn't a top 5 pass rusher yet.
Old 06-27-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not sure where you get Barwin is going to demand a gigantic contract. I like him but his leverage isn't sky high yet. He hasn't made a pro-bowl. He isn't a top 5 pass rusher yet.
After 11.5 sacks and 15 (my projection) this season, his leverage will be sky high next offseason. I am really hoping he settles for a team friendly deal but why should he? I think there will be a market for OLB with double digit sacks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read