Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-20-2012   #121
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2723 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some Offseason Love for TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Just a quibble but technically, Keenum wasn't a "pick."
ok....I'll accept that since obviously you enjoy overreacting......and following your logic, disagree with you by saying technically he is a pick.....he wasn't a "draft choice".....he was an a draft eligible player who was not selected in the draft, thereby leaving him eligible to be 'pick'ed up after the draft by a team wishing to add him to their roster.....which is what the texans did. Please stop creating an argument where there isn't one.
Old 07-20-2012   #122
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290332 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
ok....I'll accept that since obviously you enjoy overreacting......and following your logic, disagree with you by saying technically he is a pick.....he wasn't a "draft choice".....he was an a draft eligible player who was not selected in the draft, thereby leaving him eligible to be 'pick'ed up after the draft by a team wishing to add him to their roster.....which is what the texans did. Please stop creating an argument where there isn't one.
The selections a team makes in the draft are their draft picks. The undrafted players they sign after that are not their draft picks.

When a player is not picked in the draft, that player sometimes has their own pick of the team they want to go to. So the "picker" stops being the team and starts being the player.

I've never, ever heard anyone use the term "pick" to refer to an undrafted player and I think you're using the term incorrectly. But like I said, it's just a quibble. No biggie.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #123
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2723 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The selections a team makes in the draft are their draft picks. The undrafted players they sign after that are not their draft picks.

When a player is not picked in the draft, that player sometimes has their own pick of the team they want to go to. So the "picker" stops being the team and starts being the player.

I've never, ever heard anyone use the term "pick" to refer to an undrafted player and I think you're using the term incorrectly. But like I said, it's just a quibble. No biggie.
Your interpretation is noted and I'm fine with allowing your accountability for it. I apologize for misleading you by using the word pick in a way that is foreign to you.
Old 07-20-2012   #124
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It proves that starting QBs don't always make it. Whether they were first rounders, or undrafted.

RG III will be a starting NFL QB in a few weeks. What's he done that Tj hasn't?
I'd like to respond even though I'm not in the conversation.....

RGIII has consistently shown preparedness at the level at which he's played at that particular time throughout college. If polled, a majority....probably a vast majority of respondents ranging from the casual observer to the expert would indicate that they consider RGIII a starting quality NFL quarterback lacking in experience but likely to develop at starting quality expectations. I don't feel confident that the same can be said of TJ and I believe that reflects on his production on the field. If you are confident with that, fine. I'd just rather not make bold statements like that today. I'd actually like to keep my perceptions timely and realistic in the hopes that going out on a limb doesn't become the measure of my contribution to this forum.
Old 07-20-2012   #125
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It proves that starting QBs don't always make it. Whether they were first rounders, or undrafted.

RG III will be a starting NFL QB in a few weeks. What's he done that Tj hasn't?
In the off chance that was a serious and not a rhetorical question...
Quote:
Yates....
Yates played quarterback for the North Carolina Tar Heels at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from 2007 to 2010. Yates currently holds the school records for total career passing yards, single-season passing yards and single-season total offense, having broken records set by predecessors Darian Durant and Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice during his time at North Carolina.[2] He is a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.
Quote:
RGIII
2011 Heisman Trophy winner
2011 Associated Press College Football Player of the Year winner
2011 Davey O'Brien Award winner
2011 Manning Award winner
2011 Consensus All-American
2011 First Team Academic All-Big 12
2011 Finalist for Walter Campbell Player of the Year
2011 Finalist for Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
2011 Finalist for Wuerffel Trophy
2011 Semifinalist for Maxwell Award
and that's just for 2011...

Now Yates does have NFL starting experience and a playoff win on his resume'. And I'll grant you that it's unlikely - but not impossible - that RGIII will add an NFL playoff win to his own resume' in 2012.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #126
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seriously what are you arguing at this point? Is it every single college QB has proven nothing in the NFL and so they are all equal? I mean what is your point? TJ did a barely acceptable job on an excellent team and now people are comparing him to Brees.
It wasn't me. But I believe they were saying he was more a Brees type, than a Schaub type of QB. Not that he's anywhere near Brees' level.

I haven't seen Keenum play in the NFL. I don't know if he's ready or not. I've seen Gabert..... I don't believe he is ready at all. I've seen Ponder. I think he's ready, just like Tj. Who knows how either are going to turn out? They both have room for growth.

I wouldn't start RG III from day one, or Luck for that matter. I think that would be a mistake. I haven't seen either of them in OTAs or anything, but I would be cautious with both of them. Throw a tackling dummy out there until I'm sure the kid can handle the pressure. If he can remain cool under fire, make good decisions with the football, & not lose the game, then he's ready to see live fire (to start).
Old 07-20-2012   #127
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, I think Tj is a starting NFL QB in as much as Dalton, Stafford, Bradford, Moore, Sanchez, Tavaris, Alex Smith, McCoy, Gabbert, Kolb, & Ponder are.

Some of those guys are going to be the guys we talk about for years to come. Most of them won't. But someone, somewhere thought enough of them to put them out there & see what they got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What the flying squirrel are you smoking? Stafford had over 5000 yds last year with a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio. I hope he develops and all but WTF makes you think TJ will ever hit that level other than the fact there is a Texan logo on his uniform? I don't expect most of the others you mention to make it as starting QBs for long - so what does that prove?
Cak, to the bolded. I see Dalton & Bradford to be the most likely to be able to step up at some point. Perhaps sooner than later. Perhaps even Ponder if the Vikes can get him a supporting cast.

If you were to cherry pick from these guys, who would you choose to have the best chance to succeed?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2012   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think you're saying "if we were to REDRAFT..." which is not what anyone else is talking about. Schaub's draft stock isn't a present tense thing, it's a past tense thing. His stock was high, then he got injured, and his stock fell. No one really knew if he was going to recover from that or if he was going to be injury prone or what.

You're looking at it in hindsight and the Cak is talking about what actually happened.
He was a Heisman candidate pre injury. Non throwing shoulder too correct? Right now, we think Matt is the best QB in the division, Lis Frank & all.

I understand it happens.... someone mentioned Jared Crick earlier. I'm just saying I don't understand why it happens. In Schaub's case, I think the correct answer would be that he had one good year & no one knew if he'd be able to repeat. That's most likely what scouts were expecting his senior season (this is just me guessing).

Lienart was "projected" to be the #1 overall pick, had a great senior season & slid to 10. I just think sometimes these "slots" are so finicky, that it doesn't make sense. One day, they're considering Schuab for the Heisman. Three months later & he's a 3rd round pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read