Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2012   #101
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some Offseason Love for TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Just a quibble but technically, Keenum wasn't a "pick."
In the spirit of "quibbling"
he was selected, right?
we called him after the draft, right...?
so, in a manner of speaking, he was "picked".

I like quibbling much better than squabbling
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #102
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226908 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
In the spirit of "quibbling"
he was selected, right?
we called him after the draft, right...?
so, in a manner of speaking, he was "picked".

I like quibbling much better than squabbling
No.

It's probably the other way around. Keenum selected us.

More than one team almost definitely called him and he chose us for one reason or another. Just like multiple teams contacted Arian and we got him because we offered a bigger contract.

There is the possibility that we're the only team that contacted him, but I doubt it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #103
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seriously? After his junior year Schaub was in the discussion for the Heisman. Then he got injured, missed some games and fell to the 3rd round. Do you really not understand that?
Your missing the whole point of this thread which it give "some off season love for TJ Yates."

Seriously, part really irks me so I must respond. Schaub had difficulty holding down the starting job as a Virginia Cavalier. First year (Freshman) red-shirted. Then he couldn't beat out fellow red-shirted freshman (Where is Waldo candidate) Bryson Spinner. Next year (red-shirt sophmore) they split QB duties evenly, guess Schaub was developing & gaining ground. So 2002 Spinner transferred leaving starting QB position vacant for Matt to assume, however redshirt freshman Marques Hagans briefly won the starting role beginning of season, why I wonder? It must have really motivated Matt because from that point on in his Junior season he excelled & became mentioned as a possible Heisman candidate. Funny thing happened on the way to New York to collect his hardware, well actually first game of Senior season, Matt Schaub suffered a shoulder injury (I remember seeing Schaub walking to the sideline slumped as a Texan from similar shoulder condition). Even with red-shirting, splitting/sharing snaps with other QB's Matt still holds most of Virginia passing marks 7,502 yards, attempts 1,069, completions 716, TD's 56 & 67% completion average just to name a few.

But wait, TJ also holds some records of his own, lets see how they stack up. Yates threw for over 9,000 yards, 9,377 yards to exact in his Tar Heel career. 1277 attempts with 795 completions, 58 TD's with 62.3% completion avg. for a total QB rating of 131.7. Hardly chopped liver or over matched when compared to Matt.

Comparing two as back-ups Matt had two starts in three years with other reps sprinkled in to push his total yardage over 1,000 yards (1033) with 6 TD's. His rookie year included one start, in 6 games he was 33 of 70 for 330 yards, one TD & a QB rating of 42.0.

Yates also saw action in 6 games his rookie campaign, but started 5 (not counting playoffs). He was 82 of 134 for 949 yards & three TD's with QB rating of 80.7. TJ then went on to lead the Texans to their first playoff win in team history & despite having trouble the following game against a veteran Baltimore Raven defense, played undaunted or deterred & pressed the attack against formidable odds, accepting defeat with grace & determination to exact revenge next opportunity he gets (well that's a little over the top but I'm just a Texan fan getting ready for this season).

It's not always who looks prettiest or has all the accolades & statistics, in a fight its usually the last man standing

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #104
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Your missing the whole point of this thread which it give "some off season love for TJ Yates."
OK I guess I did miss that the entire point of this thread was to schlob TJ's knob. I'll leave yanking the man handle to you.

People are really showing their football acumen on this subject. To argue TJ is currently within the same ball park as Schaub is insane.
Old 07-19-2012   #105
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates had one year of HS ball; Schaub was a 3-yr starter.

Both Red-shirted.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #106
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates then threw 18 Ints in his first yr in college; Schaub only one.

Wait, Yates had a gazillion attemptsto bring the ratio of INT/per pass attemptsto less than 5% while Schaub lone INT represent 12.5%

It doesn't matter the number, Schaub was on the bench and Yates was slinging, despite limited experience in HS.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #107
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Well actually, the whole point of the thread was just poking fun at Yates....

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2012   #108
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
OK I guess I did miss that the entire point of this thread was to schlob TJ's knob. I'll leave yanking the man handle to you.

People are really showing their football acumen on this subject. To argue TJ is currently within the same ball park as Schaub is insane.
Other than the post you replied to, no one else put him in the same ball-park as Schaub, and then that was really compare g their college careers. Yates was being compared to other rookie Qbs for the majority of this thread.

Schuab's the starter, gives this team the best chance to win, most everyone Agrees on that.
Old 07-19-2012   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

But since we're talking about Schuab, should he have started over Michael Vick in Atlanta?
Old 07-19-2012   #110
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226908 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
But since we're talking about Schuab, should he have started over Michael Vick in Atlanta?
That depends entirely on your offensive philosophy.

You shouldn't draft a guy like Vick unless your offensive philosophy is going to be built around what that sort of guy can do. And if you're going to do that, then you should draft a guy with a similar skill-set to be your backup.

Atlanta made a huge mistake, imo, in selecting two guys with polar opposite abilities and skills.

I prefer the Schaub type of QB to the Vick type of QB. So, if it had been my team, I wouldn't have drafted Vick in the first place. Stuck with the two of them, I would have traded Vick and gone with Schaub.
Old 07-19-2012   #111
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Vick is a better player than Schaub and I think if he was on this team in this offense we'd be super explosive and pretty much unstoppable.

Could you imagine Vick's laser arm and speed on those roll outs throwing to Andre Johnson?

And then teams would have to honor his running ability which would make it even easier for Arian....

We'd be sick and I'd take Vick the football player on this team over Schaub all day.

That's in a football vaccum. In real life though I'd take Schaub just because he didn't participate in a brutal dog fighting ring.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #112
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that's kinda of personal big ol' mod

Quote:
Unquestioned, Schaub has about a five or six year head start on TJ. What I'm saying @ paralleled points in their respective careers TJ is surprisingly closer than you think. Kubiak was wise to use a 5th rd. pick on Yates. Even though his final playoff game was less than stellar, I'm not even going to argue for a minute, if Texans had a healthy Schaub they would have beaten Baltimore & advanced with an excellent shot to win the AFC Championship. But still his QB rating was higher than coveted 2nd rd. Bengal QB Andy Dalton (53.8 vs 51.4). That is coincidentally one round before Matt Schaub was selected. I've drafted Matt Schaub two years in a row in our fantasy league & he is a feast or famine FFP. I can't ever see TJ put up big numbers like Schaub but I can see him win more championships, so much for Football Acumen, I plead insanity

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #113
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What Pencil Neck said.

But if you look back, what I said before Schaub was even a rumor for the Texans was Schaub should start with Vick in a dual shotgun formation.
Old 07-19-2012   #114
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
What Pencil Neck said.

But if you look back, what I said before Schaub was even a rumor for the Texans was Schaub should start with Vick in a dual shotgun formation.
So, even though Schaub played behind Vick, he was completely capable of starting for an NFL team? No?

Whether he was better than Vick or not isn't important. Whether he was ready or not, is the question. Kubiak felt good enough about Schaub to give him the Job before spending 2 seconds with him. Somehow, he knew.

I'm sure there were plenty of people thinking the same about Schaub before he got here. They felt he was tough enough to withstand the rigors of an NFL QB, that he had the work ethic required, that he made more good decisions than bad & was capable of limiting those bad decisions even more.

If you (or anyone for that matter) don't believe Tj is ready, that's fine. I think he is. He may still fall on his face if he were to start now, but he won't be the first QB that someone thought was ready to fail.
Old 07-19-2012   #115
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
So, even though Schaub played behind Vick, he was completely capable of starting for an NFL team? No?

Whether he was better than Vick or not isn't important. Whether he was ready or not, is the question. Kubiak felt good enough about Schaub to give him the Job before spending 2 seconds with him. Somehow, he knew.
The point I was making at the time was one of how to effectively use those two QB's. Schaub is a better pocket passer. Vick is a dangerous long ball and running threat. What I advocated was having both in formation with Schaub as the starter at QB. You wouldn't have been able to stack the line because either Schaub or Vick would have diced your secondary. You can't drop everyone or Vick is going to torch the edges.

Quote:
If you (or anyone for that matter) don't believe Tj is ready, that's fine. I think he is. He may still fall on his face if he were to start now, but he won't be the first QB that someone thought was ready to fail.
To clarify, you think TJ is a starting NFL QB right now?
Old 07-19-2012   #116
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
To clarify, you think TJ is a starting NFL QB right now?
Yes, I think Tj is a starting NFL QB in as much as Dalton, Stafford, Bradford, Moore, Sanchez, Tavaris, Alex Smith, McCoy, Gabbert, Kolb, & Ponder are.

Some of those guys are going to be the guys we talk about for years to come. Most of them won't. But someone, somewhere thought enough of them to put them out there & see what they got.
Old 07-19-2012   #117
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I think Tj is a starting NFL QB in as much as Dalton, Stafford, Bradford, Moore, Sanchez, Tavaris, Alex Smith, McCoy, Gabbert, Kolb, & Ponder are.

Some of those guys are going to be the guys we talk about for years to come. Most of them won't. But someone, somewhere thought enough of them to put them out there & see what they got.
What the flying squirrel are you smoking? Stafford had over 5000 yds last year with a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio. I hope he develops and all but WTF makes you think TJ will ever hit that level other than the fact there is a Texan logo on his uniform? I don't expect most of the others you mention to make it as starting QBs for long - so what does that prove?
Old 07-19-2012   #118
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I don't expect most of the others you mention to make it as starting QBs for long - so what does that prove?
It proves that starting QBs don't always make it. Whether they were first rounders, or undrafted.

RG III will be a starting NFL QB in a few weeks. What's he done that Tj hasn't?
Old 07-19-2012   #119
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What the flying squirrel are you smoking?
I'd like to point out that we're supposed to go after the argument and not the poster on this board.

And, yet, most of us have accused TK for smoking something with psychodelic properties at one time or another.

I think we all should tone that back.

I mean, we can all accuse GP of smoking something* and that's OK but we need to lay off TK. He's just expressing his opinion. It's not like he's making up stats and rewriting history.

* Just joking, GP.
Old 07-19-2012   #120
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
It proves that starting QBs don't always make it. Whether they were first rounders, or undrafted.

RG III will be a starting NFL QB in a few weeks. What's he done that Tj hasn't?
Seriously what are you arguing at this point? Is it every single college QB has proven nothing in the NFL and so they are all equal? I mean what is your point? TJ did a barely acceptable job on an excellent team and now people are comparing him to Brees.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read