Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-23-2012   #21
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans cap space as of June 22

I hate that part of the offseason. I mean ESPN said we have 25 mil then this guys like nope only 3 mil next month someone's gonna write something saying we have 15mil. No one knows its impossible to know. Leave it alone.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Thats a big chunck of change going to those three - and if all they have is $24.8m to spend among them , I dont believe its enough to keep all three.

Who else is in the final year of their deal this year ?! I believe Rashad Butler will also be a FA.

I can see them asking a couple guy's to take pay cuts or extending them to free up space - Antonio Smith ? OD ? Maybe Wade Smith let go ....

The following year you have Cushing coming up as a FA .... Its gonna be costly to keep him.
Butler and Cody.

I don't understand what happened o all the money that was supposedly set aside to go towards Mario Williams if he had wnated to remain a Texan? Was that comprised of players who were gonna be cut and were not? I thought AJ's new renegotiated deal was for $ to be used this season. Even if part of Winston's contract costs towards cap wasn't there a significant savings and also with Jacoby and Demeco? All of Brisiel's 2011 salary slot should be there. This is very confusing.
Old 06-23-2012   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats a big chunck of change going to those three - and if all they have is $24.8m to spend among them , I dont believe its enough to keep all three.

Who else is in the final year of their deal this year ?! I believe Rashad Butler will also be a FA.

I can see them asking a couple guy's to take pay cuts or extending them to free up space - Antonio Smith ? OD ? Maybe Wade Smith let go ....

The following year you have Cushing coming up as a FA .... Its gonna be costly to keep him.

2013 Salaries:

Antonio Smith.....6 mil

Owen Daniels......4 mil

Wade Smith........3 mil

[and if Antoine Caldwell does well, he will become a FA after this year]
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
2013 Salaries:

Antonio Smith.....6 mil

Owen Daniels......4 mil

Wade Smith........3 mil
$13m +current salary should get you Schaub and maybe Barwin. All those savings from Brisiel, Ryans, AJ, JJ, etc should get you D. Brown & maybe Butler.

We would have to draft a TE for sure.
Old 06-24-2012   #25
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason to not roll over your unused money is this: if your salary cap is 120, and you roll over 3, it is 123. Reporters are saying there is a hard cap and it went down this year and may not go up at all next year. So if you spend 123 this year, that means you will just have to make more cuts next year to get back under the cap. It your credit card limit was always 5,000 and one month they raised it to 7,000, you could spend the extra money, but then when it lowers back to 5,000 next month you have to make some sacrifices to pay the bill or be stuck with a bunch of fees
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
The reason to not roll over your unused money is this: if your salary cap is 120, and you roll over 3, it is 123. Reporters are saying there is a hard cap and it went down this year and may not go up at all next year. So if you spend 123 this year, that means you will just have to make more cuts next year to get back under the cap. It your credit card limit was always 5,000 and one month they raised it to 7,000, you could spend the extra money, but then when it lowers back to 5,000 next month you have to make some sacrifices to pay the bill or be stuck with a bunch of fees
The 2011 salary cap was $120.375 million

Jason La Canfora
Salary cap set at $120.6 million for 2012

Quote:
Tigre from "South of the Border" asks about new provisions allowing NFL teams to carry over unused salary-cap space to future years. He wonders why a team would ever decide against carrying over some of the unused allotment.

Mike Sando: NFL teams have, for years, tried to push unused cap space into future seasons. They previously did this by writing into players' contracts "likely to be earned" incentives that were, despite the label, very unlikely to be achieved. John Clayton explained the practice in detail back in 2004.

The new labor agreement legitimizes how teams carry over unused cap space. Teams simply tell the league how much unused cap space they would like to carry over.

Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt recently explained some of the particulars. Clayton provided numbers as they pertain to the 2012 season in this update.

Any team failing to carry over unused space might appear cheap, but carrying over the maximum would not necessarily make a team less cheap. It would not affect spending, only the amount a team could spend.

Salary-cap machinations are not always straightforward. A team could conceivably decide against carrying over unused room to accommodate late-hitting incentives, a contract option or the acceleration of guaranteed money.
Still sounds like there is nothing stopping a team from spending their additional carry over unused cap monies without penalty, except for an owner's lightened 2012 wallet.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

I cannot remember what the penalty is if NFL team goes over cap. There is a tax cap in the NBA but many choose to go over & pay the "tax".
Old 06-24-2012   #28
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I cannot remember what the penalty is if NFL team goes over cap. There is a tax cap in the NBA but many choose to go over & pay the "tax".
As was explained to me the NFL has a *hard cap* as in non negotiable. A player has to go, take a pay cut or the contract(s) that put a team over are not ratified by the league. Someone with a better handle on it will explain it better, I'm sure.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #29
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure it would be. The initial year in a long term deal is usually the lowest cap value. $8+ million per player in the first year should easily be enough. Yes, the average of the deals may exceed $8 million/season. But, that would not be an issue in 2013.
Old 06-24-2012   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Most teams are able to keep 10-12 core players.

1. Schaub 2. Foster 3. AJ 4. D.Brown 5. Myers

6. Watt 7. Cush 8. Barwin 9. JoJo 10. Manning

If these players are let go for cap reasons, Rick and whoever the Texans cap guy is should be fired.

Looking at the numbers posted above, the Texans have the cap room to trade for Harvin.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The 2011 salary cap was $120.375 million

Jason La Canfora
Salary cap set at $120.6 million for 2012

Still sounds like there is nothing stopping a team from spending their additional carry over unused cap monies without penalty, except for an owner's lightened 2012 wallet.
So the avg NFL team's escalators are going to be no more than $300,000? Seems silly.
Old 06-24-2012   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
As was explained to me the NFL has a *hard cap* as in non negotiable. A player has to go, take a pay cut or the contract(s) that put a team over are not ratified by the league. Someone with a better handle on it will explain it better, I'm sure.
Yeah, that sound right. i think I got that explanation also, deal not approved by NFL.
Old 06-24-2012   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Looking at the numbers posted above, the Texans have the cap room to trade for Harvin.
Why would the Texans trade for Percy Harvin? He's not a downfield receiver and he's a bad fit for this offense. I'm not even getting into the drug and attitude issues. Makes zero sense.
Old 06-24-2012   #34
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why would the Texans trade for Percy Harvin? He's not a downfield receiver and he's a bad fit for this offense. I'm not even getting into the drug and attitude issues. Makes zero sense.
I disagree he's a bad fit for the offense. They went out and spent a draft pick on Keyshawn Martin and he's basically a poor man's Harvin.

Other issues aside.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #35
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree he's a bad fit for the offense. They went out and spent a draft pick on Keyshawn Martin and he's basically a poor man's Harvin.
Martin is not an outside receiver, either. If the Texans were to trade for a WR (which I don't think they would do), it wouldn't be a slot receiver.
Old 06-25-2012   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Martin is not an outside receiver, either. If the Texans were to trade for a WR (which I don't think they would do), it wouldn't be a slot receiver.
I was responding to the part about him not fitting the offense. That simply isn't true.

And I'm pretty sure Martin will play outside some. If kubiak lines trindon up out wide I think it's safe to assume Martin could see action out there as well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats exactly why he is a good fit for this offense for the most part but rely upon route combinations and crisp route running to create openings.

With Harvin's open field ability and the fact that he would be put in open holes undeneath quite often (Look at OD) giving him many opportunities to make plays after the catch.

Thats not to say I think they will make a trade for him .... just think he would be a really good fit. Also think they could plug him in the slot .... with great success.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #38
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See below.

Yeah , what does that say about the Texans "window of opportunity"?

Its obvious the Tits and Dolts will have the means to close the gap in talent next year while the Texans may take a step back.

It could be this season or bust .... if they cant figure out how to solve the cap issues.
has long has u have a elite QB u can pretty much punch your ticket in for the playoffs

the divison may catch up hell maybe it was already the same level last year but its all about the decesions u make on each offseason each year on if your team will stay on top and health of course
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Most teams are able to keep 10-12 core players.

1. Schaub 2. Foster 3. AJ 4. D.Brown 5. Myers

6. Watt 7. Cush 8. Barwin 9. JoJo 10. Manning

If these players are let go for cap reasons, Rick and whoever the Texans cap guy is should be fired.

depending on how things play out Schaub & manning wont be core players for to much longer
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #40
Lucky

Quote:
Thats exactly why he is a good fit for this offense for the most part but rely upon route combinations and crisp route running to create openings.
How is that Percy Harvin? His average yards per reception in 2011 was 11.1 yards. Harvin's yards after catch was 6.5 yards. That means, on average, Harvin caught the ball 4.6 yards down the field. How crisp can your route be in 4.6 yards? Harvin's forte is the WR screen. And that's not worth trading a draft pick the Texans may one day need to use on an outside WR.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read