Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-21-2012   #1
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com poll: Texans are the best team in Texas

Like there was ever any doubt.

http://www.facebook.com/HoustonTexans
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #2
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 17283 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com poll: Texans are the best team in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Like there was ever any doubt.

http://www.facebook.com/HoustonTexans
Lots of butt-hurt Cowboy fans commenting on it too, lol. Wish we could play them every year though.
Old 06-22-2012   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw when they asked that question the other night, but didn't get to see the results. I'm actually surprised that we won the vote. I know we are the better team, but the Cowboys have a much larger following and they are somehow still managing to ride the coat tails of their former success.
Old 06-22-2012   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I saw when they asked that question the other night, but didn't get to see the results. I'm actually surprised that we won the vote. I know we are the better team, but the Cowboys have a much larger following and they are somehow still managing to ride the coat tails of their former success.
The Cowboys do have a much larger following...when the team is winning. Otherwise, their massive bandwagon fanbase does not bother to watch and certainly would not even know about this poll as a result.
Old 06-22-2012   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
But the times; they are a changin'. 'Bout time too.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #6
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Cowboys do have a much larger following...when the team is winning. Otherwise, their massive bandwagon fanbase does not bother to watch and certainly would not even know about this poll as a result.
Most of their bandwagon fans outside of TX are now Green Bay fans.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Whoís A Better Team, Houston Texans or Dallas Cowboys?

They must finally be getting good information reading this MB.

Quote:
Published: About an hour ago
by Chris Shelton
RANT It!
courtesy of NFL.com

Who is the best football team in Texas? 78% of fans say the Houston Texans are better than the Dallas Cowboys, according to an NFL.com poll.

I am sure that Jerry Jones is not to happy about that. His team is his baby, sometimes to The Cowboys detriment. Itís tough for one person to be owner and General Manager.

Thatís not a surprising result though, given how the two teams finished last season.

The Texans had their best year ever, winning 10 games in the regular season and playoff game. They also competed well against the Baltimore Ravens with a trip to the AFC Championship on the line without their starting Quarterback on the field.

The Cowboys were just disappointing. Dallas failed to make the playoffs in a year where 9-7 won the Division. The Philadelphia Eagles took a step back and the Washington Redskins were terrible.

So now the dynamic of expectations have changed for these two Texas franchises.

The Texans are expected to be SuperBowl contenders. For sure capturing the AFC South seems almost like a given. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts have only taken marginal steps forward, in terms of talent and leadership. The Colts drafted Andrew Luck but his presence will not make them contenders in his first year. The Jaguars donít have the requisite talent to win enough games to compete for a playoff berth.

And the Tennessee Titans are still a long way away from contention. The Texans were better than the Titans with their third string QB.

For the Cowboys, their division is in a totally different situation. The Eagles can and should be better, given Michael Vickís injury situation. Thatís a big if though. Vick has been injury prone for a good part of his career to this point. And the New York Giants are current SuperBowl champions. Naturally they are the favorite to win the NFC East.

The Texans are in an easier division and have more recent playoff success. That bodes well for them.

For once, the expectations are more lofty for the Texans than their big brothers up I45, Iím not sure who that is better for. Maybe Dallas will flourish as underdogs. Maybe itís a good thing for the Cowboys to be out of the limelight.

From a Texans perspective, they now have believers. They will be a sexy SuperBowl pick.

Can they handle the expectations?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2012   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

OOPS!.........But never hurts when it's such great news.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a link to the actual poll on NFL.com?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I've lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth are for over 10 years. Those people up there could care less about being compared to the team "down south". They look at the Texans about the same way as they look at the city of Houston in general, face down.

As far as expectations go, the higher they are, the harder the fall.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I've lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth are for over 10 years. Those people up there could care less about being compared to the team "down south". They look at the Texans about the same way as they look at the city of Houston in general, face down.

As far as expectations go, the higher they are, the harder the fall.
Yeah, I think that's the general consensus. Did Cowboy fans ever hate Houston when the Oilers were around? I wasn't here, so I don't know, but I never got the feeling there was a rivalry between the two.

Anyways, I do think some people take this perceived rivalry too far. I went to the Texans/Browns game last year with some friends and on the way into the stadium we saw a guy wearing a Texans jersey that had the name "DUCK FALLAS" on the back instead of a player. He was holding the hand of his little 8 year old girl too. I really wish I had taken a picture of it, but I just couldn't believe someone would actually make a jersey that said that. What a waste, but we sure did laugh about it.
Old 06-22-2012   #12
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted a pic of this on my FB before the results were released on NFL Network. I had a couple of Cowboy fans comment, but when I would rebute, they wouldn't comment. It's nice that we finally are getting recognition over the team up north.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #13
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 25361 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Compared to the last couple of years, the Texans are the best team in Texas, simply the truth. I don't understand the concept that many refer to Cowboys now having bandwagon fans. Usually bandwagon fans follow winners, and the Cowboys have had too many seasons to weed those out. Once we become an excellent team again, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers grow from where they are now. Personally, any success or super bowl would be a great experience for me because I have remained constant through the years.

I was talking to a fellow fan yesterday about a comment that I read once about Texans fan that wished the Cowboys would move to Oklahoma. Of course, with the new stadium being in Texas that won't happen, but if we still had Texas Stadium and some of the issues that other teams have experienced, would it truly matter to the fan base the geographical location. If the fan base was typically north Texas vs. south Texas, I think the competition for fans would be greater, especially if we were in the same conference.
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, I think that's the general consensus. Did Cowboy fans ever hate Houston when the Oilers were around?
I grew up in Richardson, a Dallas suburb, and the answer is Dallas fans either ignored the Oilers or rooted for them as a second team.
Old 06-22-2012   #15
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Note to Jerruh from Dr. Phil....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, I think that's the general consensus. Did Cowboy fans ever hate Houston when the Oilers were around? I wasn't here, so I don't know, but I never got the feeling there was a rivalry between the two.

Anyways, I do think some people take this perceived rivalry too far. I went to the Texans/Browns game last year with some friends and on the way into the stadium we saw a guy wearing a Texans jersey that had the name "DUCK FALLAS" on the back instead of a player. He was holding the hand of his little 8 year old girl too. I really wish I had taken a picture of it, but I just couldn't believe someone would actually make a jersey that said that. What a waste, but we sure did laugh about it.
The non-existent "rivalry" is in the minds of Houston football fans.

During the Luv Ya Blue days, the Oilers always came up short, while the Cowboys went to multiple Super Bowls and won a couple of them. Naturally, lots of folks jumped on that bandwagon, even many Houstonians. This caused resentment (and maybe some envy) in many Houston loyalists, so the seeds of hatred were planted.

In addition, NFL Films ran with the "America's Team" label (which was the result of a sports writer casually commenting on tv ratings), which was then embraced by the Cowboys front office. This fertilized the little seed of hate in many fans across the country, and when coupled to Houston fans "little brother" complex, grew a tree that is now multi-generational in it's hatred for the Cowboys. I should know, having lived it and being raised on one of those branches.

Now I'm ambivalent about the Cowboys, but I still never root for them...well, with one exception, of course - when the play the Titans! And that's the thing, I developed a real disgust at Bud Adams and his franchise for obvious reasons, and that just eclipsed any brainwashed hatred that I had for Dallas.

It's really just fun entertainment, though. I don't take any of this stuff seriously.
Old 06-23-2012   #17
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree wholeheartedly with those who don't think there is any rivalry from the Cowboy fans point of view. I lived in Dallas for 13 years before moving away a couple of years ago, and the general consensus of the Cowboy fans towards the Texans is indifference. When they find out you're a Texans fan, they will likely wish you good luck because the Texans are another team from Texas. I also think it's important to differentiate Cowboy fans from Dallas from the bandwagon idiots from around the country, including Houston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Like DB said, this whole Oilers/Texans-Cowboys thing doesn't really qualify as a rivalry.

A lot of hardcore Oiler/Texan fans HATE the Cowboys but for it to be a rivalry, the Cowboy fans would have to hate us back. Very few Cowboy fans hate the Oilers/Texans and whatever bad feeling some of them have toward us, it pales in comparison to how they feel about the Redskins, Giants, and Eagles. We don't register to them. We're not that important. And many of them consider us a second team to root for.

I know when I walk around in my Texans gear here in Dallas, I haven't ever met with any animosity.

OTOH, Cowboy fans IN Houston sometimes have a different attitude but that could come from being surrounded by people who hate the Cowboys.

And there's always the Troll factor. Some Cowboy fans don't really hate the Texans/Oilers but they know that we hate them. Cowboy fans are used to being hated by the fans of other teams. And so they'll poke fun at fans of other teams just to get them riled up.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I never have understood the "rivalry" between the Cowboys and Oilers or Texans with just being in the same state.

It is one thing to be in the same division and playing each other (aka Raiders/Chargers) ,but hell we aren't in same division or hell even in the same conference.

reminds me of the Astros/Rangers thing, well until after this season.

but if they jab at the Texans, I will throw out the fact that since the Texans have come into existence, They have the same amount of playoff wins as the Cowboys ..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #20
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

For me it's just because I've never liked the Cowboys and have always disliked them. Not because they are Dallas, but that doesn't help, I'm HOUSTON all the way and generally despise other professional Texas teams no matter the sport, but because they are the Cowboys. I rooted for Baltimore in SB V because they were the only team not named 'Cowboys'.

I've hated their way. They were flashy, Hollywood (no pun on Thomas), arrogant, and in Texas. True, I was always green with envy at their success, but by the time they had their success I'd been a hater for quite some time. I just don't like them for who and what they are, even if they were poster boys for a failed franchise I would hate them.

The Rangers are the same. They did some pretty low ball things in the past dating all the way back to when the Houston Colt .45's were born. Long and detailed story so I won't bother with details.

A buddy of mine from high school, a lifelong Houstonian, is a Cowboy fan and caught wind of this poll. Now his FB page is a rage of hate towards the Texans. I mean picture after picture of Cowboy love and Texans hate. (I thought Cowboy fans were above that).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read