Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Percy Harvin

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He's asking to be traded according to PFT.

Would you trade for him an what would you be willing to give up for him.

I would give up next yrs #1 for him.

Picking 32nd you will not find a player as good as Harvin at that spot. Harvin would solve the WR/KR/PR problems. The Texans would have to clear cap room. But Harvin is worth it. IMHO

Dude's as about as injury prone as it gets. Unless it's a 3rd day pick we're trading....heck no

Dude's as about as injury prone as it gets. Unless it's a 3rd day pick we're trading....heck no

Right here. Yes he's explosive, but he's also injury prone and too many concussions so unless it's a trade for a lower pick no thanks..

If they trade him it'll be after this season, not before. Just doesn't make sense to trade him away with 2 years left on the cheap and no other strong recieving option.

I'd love to trade for him. I don't think the Vikings will though. There's no rule saying you have to trade a player that requests a trade.

Two statements...

No and HELL NO.

Sorry, but the last thing we need is a injury prone team cancer, I'd rather roll with the unproven young talent that we have... and he isn't a complete player either.

This guy has a history of problems from college to the NFL. No way would Smith get a guy with this kind of history. Injury prone yes, but the major problem is he wants a new contract that we can't give.

Two statements...

No and HELL NO.

Sorry, but the last thing we need is a injury prone team cancer, I'd rather roll with the unproven young talent that we have... and he isn't a complete player either.

Hasn't he missed less time than Andre (not at all knocking on 'Dre) and when has he been a "cancer"? Has he pulled some TO antics or something? I don't remember hearing that. He's not squeaky clean *gasp* but still, if the price is right, I would want to look into it.

I would trade a 2nd for him. Considering we will have numerous compensatory picks next year. I wouldnt give up a first for a 2nd wr as his never gonna be that 6.2ft 220lbs no1 wideout.

I can understand the injury prone thing since he has had some injury issues (even though he's only completely missed three games in his career), but where is this team cancer stuff and problem guy coming from?

Hasn't he missed less time than Andre (not at all knocking on 'Dre) and when has he been a "cancer"? Has he pulled some TO antics or something? I don't remember hearing that. He's not squeaky clean *gasp* but still, if the price is right, I would want to look into it.

It's not about how much time he's missed. With Harvin, if it's not his ribs it's his shoulder. If not his shoulder, it's the migrane headaches and so forth. In short, it's always something with him.

Thats what people refer to when calling him injury prone.

Wow...it's amazing how a player who has missed a total of three games in his three year career can be considered "injury prone", esspecially seeing how one of those games was due to a migraine headache, not an "injury".. if anything he may be "migraine prone"...

Do people just regurgitate everything they hear without verifying its validity?

It's not about how much time he's missed. With Harvin, if it's not his ribs it's his shoulder. If not his shoulder, it's the migrane headaches and so forth. In short, it's always something with him.

Thats what people refer to when calling him injury prone.

You just described every player in the NFL...mario williams, brian cushing, arian foster, matt schaub (who was already banged up before going out), TJ Yates...AJ... Every player...

Harvin being injury prone is a myth...he's an NFL player, never 100% healthy...

As for the Texans trading for him? I'm not all for that...

Since his rookie season he's only completely missed 3 games...

Dont let the facts get in the way of posters 1st impressions. Just another case of people talking out of their A**es.

BTW, Harvin has issues with migranes, not concussions. Migranes are why Harvin smokes pot. Pot gives him relief from them. He would be the most dynamic WR2 in Texans history. On 2nd thought, no the Texans couldn't use a guy like that.

Trindon Holliday shined in OTA's, not saying he is Percy but could offer substantially more bang for the buck without giving up anything but a roster spot :barman:

Two statements...

No and HELL NO.

Where did you get this info?

Harvin may mot be a complete player. (If he was he wouldn't be available in trade. If he is available.) However he would be the best WR2/PR/KR in team history. There is this other little thingy. (He scores alot of TD's on a bad offense)

Trindon Holliday shined in OTA's, not saying he is Percy but could offer substantially more bang for the buck without giving up anything but a roster spot :barman:

Joking or not, *hits you with chair*

KurtAngle-ChairShot.gif

Will never happen.

He's touchy. And if he's doing dope to cure his migraines (yeah, whatever...I have a sore pinkie so I need to smoke medicinal weed to ease the pain I suppose) he'll never make this Texans team as long as Bob McNair is breathing.

The more I look at our offense, the more I begin to think we don't particularly need dynamic WRs. Sure, having AJ is a major plus...but overall, after AJ, who is it that we really lean upon in the receiving game??? Tight Ends. That's who.

We just need a solid WR2, a guy like KW, who is a possession WR. Catch the ball, hold onto the ball, move the chains on 3rd down.

The RBs and the TEs do the rest.

Will never happen.

He's touchy. And if he's doing dope to cure his migraines (yeah, whatever...I have a sore pinkie so I need to smoke medicinal weed to ease the pain I suppose) he'll never make this Texans team as long as Bob McNair is breathing.

The more I look at our offense, the more I begin to think we don't particularly need dynamic WRs. Sure, having AJ is a major plus...but overall, after AJ, who is it that we really lean upon in the receiving game??? Tight Ends. That's who.

We just need a solid WR2, a guy like KW, who is a possession WR. Catch the ball, hold onto the ball, move the chains on 3rd down.

The RBs and the TEs do the rest.

I don't smoke weed, but I had my first migraine in my entire life last week, and I would take a sore pinkie over that anyday. REAL migraines are extremely painful and dibilitating. When your wife goes, "Oh, I have a migraine" but she's still watching lifetime television, that is very suspect.

McClain on this morning's 610 session said "no way" due to his history of arguing with his college coaches.

Since his rookie season he's only completely missed 3 games...

Eh, don't matter what the stats say. I know he's a boatload of practices and has left games due to something. Migraines, bruised ribs, vomitting, etc.

Like I said, I'll pass unless it's a 3rd day pick.

In the end, this whole discussion is moot. The Vikings have one of the worst WR corps in the league. They'd be nuts to trade him

In the end, this whole discussion is moot. The Vikings have one of the worst WR corps in the league. They'd be nuts to trade him

Well that kind of flies in the face of everything you said prior to this statement.

He has all these problems, but they'd be nuts to trade him?

Seems like they should have been actively trying to replace him for a while now....

They likely won't trade him because he's a good player.

Well that kind of flies in the face of everything you said prior to this statement.

He has all these problems, but they'd be nuts to trade him?

Seems like they should have been actively trying to replace him for a while now....

They likely won't trade him because he's a good player.

Or, it's says a lot about the Vikings WR situation.

He's a really good player, who occasionally argued with his coaches in college. This hasn't been a problem in the pros. Oh by the way Harvin was one of the main reasons that those coaches won a national championship.

Yeah we dont need a playmaker like Harvin on the Texans. He wouldn't help at all. But we could use JJ's of the world.

I say no not because I don't think he could help us, but he's looking for a new contract. Its the same situation as trading for Mike Wallace even though Harvin won't cost as much to sign to a new contract. With having our own players to sign I just don't think you want to add any more to the mix at this point.

Or, it's says a lot about the Vikings WR situation.

Maybe, maybe not.

They haven't made any major attempts to replace a guy who's not worth the trouble though.

And what does it say about our wr corps that he'd be an upgrade over every currently healthy wr on the roster right now?

I say no not because I don't think he could help us, but he's looking for a new contract. Its the same situation as trading for Mike Wallace even though Harvin won't cost as much to sign to a new contract. With having our own players to sign I just don't think you want to add any more to the mix at this point.

I agree with that. Unless you are sending significant salary back in return I dont see how this would be a good situation for him either.

If the Patriots are the only team who will take chances on trouble WR's, they are gonna have a leg up on the competition.

As long as the asking price is reasonable, bring Harvin on over.

When your wife goes, "Oh, I have a migraine" but she's still watching lifetime television, that is very suspect.

Yah, when you have a real bonified migraine you want darkness. You don't want to open your eyes.. i've only had about four migraines ever and they were horrible! I usually sleep with the tube on and had to turn it off... I woke up at 3am moaning. I literally wanted to cry...

Now, I'm not saying migraines are the "only" reason Harvin smokes the stuff, but i've heard from plenty of sources that it does help with migraines... I haven't smoked pot in 15 years (and that was only twice), didn't like it, but if i had some around me while suffering a migraine i'd light up...

We're already dreading the impending cap hell next year, yet you want to trade for a guy that will demand a huge deal?

Harvin is under contract for 2y for $2.5m. That's very friendly for the team that gets him.

We're already dreading the impending cap hell next year, yet you want to trade for a guy that will demand a huge deal?

While my guess is this doesn't happen at all - let alone with the Texans being involved - I would consider it under the condition that Harvin agrees to play out the two years remaining on his contract under the current economic terms. If he can find a another team to give him a big contract in conjunction with a trade, then more power to him. If he'd rather position himself for 2014 free agency as a member of the Vikings offense than the Texans, again - more power to him.

And even then, no way would I give up a first. I'll be shocked if anyone does that.

I'd be interested in Wallace who is reportedly still not happy if we had something to trade to lower his salary costs & a draft pick. Don't see us having a player Steelers would want.

This is just posturing, he wants a new deal. I seriously doubt the Vikings would trade him even for another teams future first rounder. They need more players like Harvin to help out Ponder, why would they want to make this a Blaine Gabbert situation? He would be awesome for us but its beyond a pipe dream. Plus when that new contract comes we probably couldn't afford him anyway.

It certainly depends on the asking price, but his production, despite what some may say, it stellar for a #2 WR. He's everything Jacoby Jones wasn't. Check out his stats:

percyharvinstats.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/player/percyharvin/80425/careerstats

He's obviously a very capable #2 WR, even if Christian Ponder is throwing to him, and he's getting better every year in every category. I love seeing that in any player, steady increases in production show lots of potential. He adds another dimension to any team's run-game due to his speed and ability to turn the corner. His return capability is awesome, he only had 16 returns last year, but still averaged 32.5 ypa. He would be a welcome addition to this team, and I would gladly send one of the rookie WRs and a 3rd in return for him. Or send Lestar Jean if they think highly of him. I don't care, he's better than every WR on this team aside from AJ. Too bad we couldn't have traded Eric Winston for him before the cut deadline. That would have been a nice swap.

Edit: one other thing to consider is that if he is looking for more money, any extension salary he gets now will not hit the cap until 2014 when his rookie deal is finished. He's under contract for 2012 and 2013 for a meager amount. The team could prorate a signing bonus to earlier years as part of spreading it out, but his new salary will not have any impact until 2014. That gives us a lot of flexibility.

Well, according ot an NFL.com article:

Should Harvin maximize the remaining escalation available, he'll have a base salary of $3,343,750 in 2013 that would bring his earnings (base salary plus workout bonuses) over these next two seasons to $4,313,750. That's still a bargain for the Vikings, who have been reluctant to pay Harvin given their concerns over his ability to remain healthy. If Harvin reports on time and produces at a high level, the team may be inclined to rework his contract next offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829fbc2e/article/percy-harvin-hit-incentives-on-2013-vikings-salary

The article explains all the contract escalators, but the bottom line is that over the next two seasons, he will cost AT LEAST 4.3 million. He's worth every penny and more.

Only on TexansTalk can I have my words used against me on such a regular basis. LOL.

Look, apparently WEED cures everything. My comments were not meant to say migraines do not hurt. DUH. They hurt like hell. I've had only one in my lifetime, and it made me sick to my stomach, I had to be in complete darkness, and I wanted to do anything to make it stop.

My comments were along the lines that somebody who smokes WEED for migraines most likely smoked WEED before they had migraines and will still smoke WEED after migraines are gone or subside. So why take on a guy who might get popped by the NFL's testing policy??? And for all those on here who smoke weed, don't get your undies in a bunch because I honestly could care less if you light up every five minutes...I care when it's one of MY Texans players lighting up (who then might get caught and suspended). So let's see how these words get twisted, I'm sure it will be attempted.

It doesn't simply matter if we have the funds or the cap capacity to make it work. His whole body of work, which includes more than just on-the-field stuff, will be scrutinized. A great #2 WR isn't worth it if he's always in a mood, or smoking weed for migraines, or wanting a bigger deal somewhere else.

What world do we live in where a guy like Percy Harvin is going to want to come play for the Texans for small money? Not gonna' happen, and the reasons are many.

And if there was some miraculous way that we could obtain Percy Harvin...if the powers-that-be had a way of knowing that Harvin would be a great WR for many years to come here...then I'd be fine with a 2nd round pick.

1st round is too expensive, IMO. He's a #2 WR, not a #1.

I still think this team's offense is predicated around a #1 WR like AJ, then we've got the TEs who see a lot of looks on every pass play, with a #2 WR who is a possession-type WR you go to when you need that 5-yard curl route or quick slant to move the chains.

So I don't think we "need" a guy like Harvin. Kubiak is counting on his own draft picks, guys like Martin and Posey, to be the future #2 WR. Cheaper, younger, and hand-picked by Kubiak.

(Waiting for heads to explode because I dared say we don't "need" Harvin).

And if there was some miraculous way that we could obtain Percy Harvin...if the powers-that-be had a way of knowing that Harvin would be a great WR for many years to come here...then I'd be fine with a 2nd round pick.

I still think this team's offense is predicated around a #1 WR like AJ, then we've got the TEs who see a lot of looks on every pass play, with a #2 WR who is a possession-type WR you go to when you need that 5-yard curl route or quick slant to move the chains.

So I don't think we "need" a guy like Harvin. Kubiak is counting on his own draft picks, guys like Martin and Posey, to be the future #2 WR. Cheaper, younger, and hand-picked by Kubiak.

I don't think we need him either, but he would be great to have.

For comparison's sake, Brandon Marshall was traded from the Dolphins to the Bears for two 3rd round picks. Marshall is a bonafide #1 WR with a lot of attitude issues surrounding him. He had a huge contract too, but he puts up great stats and still didn't fetch a 1st. I think Harvin's value is around there, two 3rds or a 3rd and a player.

The question is, if we were to make the trade, who can we part with that would help the Vikings? Kevin Walter? A rookie WR or Olineman? I dunno, but it's fun to kick around.

Can't believe people would turn their nose up on a guy who would complete our offense. Seriously, this is the missing component and for 2 years paying 2.5 mil? We can worry about cap in 2 years IF we sign him. (in my opinion, these next 2-4 years are our best chance to win a superbowl so I take that chance).

Price would not be anymore than a 2nd (receivers don't command that much in the market ex: Marshall, Boldin, etc). I'd package a 3rd/4th (he is better than anyone will we get at that spot) and give them Posey or Martin.

WHAT?!?!?! What do you mean we don't NEED Harvin. How dare you!? :turtle:

Where did you get this info?

Harvin may mot be a complete player. (If he was he wouldn't be available in trade. If he is available.) However he would be the best WR2/PR/KR in team history. There is this other little thingy. (He scores alot of TD's on a bad offense)

Amongst those heavily mentioned in the article was Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin, who played for Meyer at Florida from 2006-2008:

It was Harvin, more than anyone, who epitomized the climate Meyer created. While former players say Harvin always was treated differently as a member of Meyer’s Circle of Trust, it was the beginning of his sophomore season-after he helped lead the Gators to the 2006 national title-that it became blatant. That's also when it began to contribute negatively toward team chemistry.

At one point during Harvin's time at Florida, he apparently refused to do conditioning drills with the rest of the team and was involved in an altercation with wide receiver's coach Billy Gonzalez, during which Harvin took Gonzalez by the neck and tossed him to the ground.

Harvin was supposedly never disciplined for those actions. When Harvin missed a game in 2008 due to an allegedly failed drug test, Meyer explained it away as an injury, arguably 'creating a divide between the haves and have-nots on the team.'

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minne...in-urban-meyer-florida-football-program-drugs

Yeah, I don't want the guy on my team and I certainly wouldn't give up any assets to get him here either. I'd rather roll with the players that we have, especially since he's a glorified slot receiver. The fact that he's already acting like a brat and demanding trades just highlights his crappy attitude. No thanks.

Back