Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-21-2012   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky blog: 2013 Cap Carnage...A. Smith and K. Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im not sold on those numbers. The cap is rumored to rise significantly over the next few years with the new TV deal.

Read an article last night stating the Texans would have roughly $24.8m in cap space for next season while the Dolts would have a league high $43m.

Here's a link by John Clayton discussing the cap space of each team. Clayton does state that the cap may not rise by much over the next three seasons.
Corrosion, I keep getting both sides also. The increases ares upposedly minimal however, the new TV deal is bringing in bunches for each team. If the cap is based upon total revenues and said revenue (include radio) goes up like $2 billion over the contract, why is cap only nufged upwards? Lots of confusion and probably misinformation.
Old 06-21-2012   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I don't see that happening OMT. I, like many others here, just can't see Gary going into battle with AJ and 4 rooks being thrown into the fire ah-la Kareem'esque. I really hope LaStar Jean comes on quickly. At least he has a couple of years in the system and it really made my ears hard when the DBs were making statements like "he's unecoverable". That sounds legit coming from team mates and then TC made comments about her observations which backed up what the players said. How sweet it would be to have another 'diamond in the rough' ferreted out by Rick Smith. Because we all know he's clueless and a worthless POS.

Last line is obviously
It has been suggested Jean could be the eventual replacement for AJ. That would be huge if true. If he could become #2 in deed not just name that would be fantastic in itself. That would allow coaches time to work with Posier. i would love to erase WR as my #1 need in 2013 draft.
Old 06-21-2012   #43
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It has been suggested Jean could be the eventual replacement for AJ. That would be huge if true. If he could become #2 in deed not just name that would be fantastic in itself. That would allow coaches time to work with Posier. i would love to erase WR as my #1 need in 2013 draft.
Me too on the bolded. Hopefully Posey just needs to 'knock the rust off'. Think he'll be able to do that in camp and PS?

Still the consensus is it takes receivers a couple of years to acclimate to the speed of the game in the NFL plus learning the route tree well enough to execute without thinking which would slow anyone down.

That said, it didn't seem like K-Mart was having that problem.

COME ON JULY 27TH!!!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
It has been suggested Jean could be the eventual replacement for AJ.
By whom? - where and when?
Old 06-21-2012   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Crazy people.

There is no replacing a HOFer. You just enjoy watching them until they are gone. When its over ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Come on Icak. I expect better from you. You are just disagreeing with everything I say. Sure it's boring but can you not find another game to play? I am not saying Jean can replace the skills of AJ or even his stats but he or someone will replace AJ someday as the WR1 and you know that. There have been posts here on this MB that Jean has the size , speed and skills to be a WR 1 in the future and replace AJ. That has been on radio programs also. If you have not heard it that's not my fault.
Old 06-21-2012   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Crazy people.

There is no replacing a HOFer. You just enjoy watching them until they are gone. When its over ....
Hall of famers are replaced when they cannot cut it anymore. Their position is filled by another player. The replacement may or may not have same skills but all players are eventually replaced on the field although maybe not in a fan's heart. Also, it is just possible that by the time AJ's career is over another player might step up and be as good or wow even better.
Old 06-22-2012   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Come on Icak. I expect better from you. You are just disagreeing with everything I say. Sure it's boring but can you not find another game to play?
I do so love when people throw down the martyr card.

But pardon me for asking for clarification if you were speaking of coaches, players, pundits or couch potatoes.

As for what you hear on radio from callers that is about as selective as saying somewhere in Houston there is a person who believes the world actually did end when the new millennium hit and we are now all living in the matrix. From the radio I can say "some say..." freaking anything. You are more discerning than that. Don't get bent over one comment about draft derangement.
Old 06-22-2012   #49
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Better question: Why NOT Jean?
A.J. will retire one day. Probably within the next 3-4 years. If Jean is still here, why not him?

I'm not a Jean advocate or anything. But when A.J. retires they won't stop having 2 WRs in our offensive formations. Someone will have to occupy that position. Why not Jean? He has a year on the gaggle of young WRs we have now. And if I'm reading the spy reports from TC correctly, Jean has the early lead for the #3 WR spot, is making good grabs, has a strong work ethic, seems to be the type to keep his mouth shut, head down, and do his job. ....why not Jean?
Old 06-22-2012   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Nope. I asked exactly what I wanted. badboy made an affirmative assertion "it has been suggested" and I wanted clarification on that assertion.

Quote:
A.J. will retire one day. Probably within the next 3-4 years. If Jean is still here, why not him?
Why not? Have you seen me argue against him? But at this point there is absolutely zilch to think he is going to replace AJ's slot much less skill level. I certainly hope every player excels at their position for the Texans.
Old 06-22-2012   #51
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18579 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im not sold on those numbers. The cap is rumored to rise significantly over the next few years with the new TV deal.

Read an article last night stating the Texans would have roughly $24.8m in cap space for next season while the Dolts would have a league high $43m.

Here's a link by John Clayton discussing the cap space of each team. Clayton does state that the cap may not rise by much over the next three seasons.
We probably have 24.8 mill in cap room for next season, because there are a bunch of guys who's contacts expire after the 2012 season. Schaub, Brown, Barwin, etc are probably not included in the 2013 figures.
Old 06-22-2012   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 103323 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a huge "if", don't you think for a UDFA WR who has never caught a NFL pass? Has Lestar Jean become the 2012 Chris Taylor? At least Taylor had a 99 yard effort before he went viral on TexansTalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Schaub, Brown, Barwin, etc are probably not included in the 2013 figures.
That's correct. But if Schaub is re-signed, his 2013 cap number is certain to be below the $11 million+ figure he carries in 2012.

Quote:
As for what you hear on radio from callers that is about as selective as saying somewhere in Houston there is a person who believes the world actually did end when the new millennium hit and we are now all living in the matrix.
Take the blue pill.

Old 06-22-2012   #53
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Corrosion, I keep getting both sides also. The increases ares upposedly minimal however, the new TV deal is bringing in bunches for each team. If the cap is based upon total revenues and said revenue (include radio) goes up like $2 billion over the contract, why is cap only nufged upwards? Lots of confusion and probably misinformation.
The only conclusion I can come to is that the lawyers representing the owners were better than those representing the players. Because the players voted on a deal that would up their income to a higher percentage of the revenue, the revenue has, or will, rise dramatically, and the players aren't going to see it till half of them are out of the league.

Now, the interesting thing is, have we taken enough pain in our moves this offseason to give us a competitive advantage over the next few years, or are we battling to stay under the cap just as much going forward? It'll make or break the coaching regime I think.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
The only conclusion I can come to is that the lawyers representing the owners were better than those representing the players. Because the players voted on a deal that would up their income to a higher percentage of the revenue, the revenue has, or will, rise dramatically, and the players aren't going to see it till half of them are out of the league.
For clarity, the players agreed to a deal with a lower percentage but with a definition of the revenue which iis broader for the calculation.
Old 06-22-2012   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I do so love when people throw down the martyr card.

But pardon me for asking for clarification if you were speaking of coaches, players, pundits or couch potatoes.

As for what you hear on radio from callers that is about as selective as saying somewhere in Houston there is a person who believes the world actually did end when the new millennium hit and we are now all living in the matrix. From the radio I can say "some say..." freaking anything. You are more discerning than that. Don't get bent over one comment about draft derangement.
Be more selective with your questions. I always respond to criticisms, questions etc. "Who, what, when" comes across belligerent rather than asking for sources. I think I am pretty good at providing links when possible. Tthis is a sport forum of fans with opinions, I consider the radio call in programs the same and those callers have an opinion like we do. I believe you have voiced in the past that so called "experts" from ESPN, CBS, etc are little more knowledgeable than you or I.

Just so you will know, I considered the "draft derangement" comment hilarious. Did not bother me in the slightest and neither have most of your other comments towards me. Nor was I offended by I think it was Hou-Tex a couple posts later; but you seem to have gone on the attack as if just waiting to unleash the dogs.
Old 06-22-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I'm not a Jean advocate or anything. But when A.J. retires they won't stop having 2 WRs in our offensive formations. Someone will have to occupy that position. Why not Jean? He has a year on the gaggle of young WRs we have now. And if I'm reading the spy reports from TC correctly, Jean has the early lead for the #3 WR spot, is making good grabs, has a strong work ethic, seems to be the type to keep his mouth shut, head down, and do his job. ....why not Jean?
Exactly why I posted. My understanding is Jean has the physicals to be a future WR1. I believe it was in the Chronicle that I read he has been playing Andre's role at OTAs and looking good. I am pretty sure that was also discussed on this MB.
Old 06-22-2012   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's a huge "if", don't you think for a UDFA WR who has never caught a NFL pass? Has Lestar Jean become the 2012 Chris Taylor? At least Taylor had a 99 yard effort before he went viral on TexansTalk.

That's correct. But if Schaub is re-signed, his 2013 cap number is certain to be below the $11 million+ figure he carries in 2012.

Take the blue pill.

At this time of year, Texans and Rockets fans are doing the "what if" roster game. Considering Jean, the fact that Kubes did not draft a WR in first or second is an indicator he has high hopes for what is already on his roster. It wasn't that long ago that posters were "what if undrafted Adrian Foster could play?"
Old 06-22-2012   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

Now, the interesting thing is, have we taken enough pain in our moves this offseason to give us a competitive advantage over the next few years, or are we battling to stay under the cap just as much going forward? It'll make or break the coaching regime I think.
Ok but does not clarify where the new money is going. The percentage for players is less but from a larger pie so it seems that they would get at least as much as under old CBA to split. Now if the new CBA says NFL can take some of the new money from TV/radio and not add it to later years of cap, that is an answer. All the examples I see have only slight increases annually for life of contract and that dooes not compute.
Old 06-22-2012   #59
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok but does not clarify where the new money is going. The percentage for players is less but from a larger pie so it seems that they would get at least as much as under old CBA to split. Now if the new CBA says NFL can take some of the new money from TV/radio and not add it to later years of cap, that is an answer. All the examples I see have only slight increases annually for life of contract and that dooes not compute.
It's just really really confusing. The best I can understand is, yes, the new TV deal is huge and a great thing for the NFL. However, the revenue that that the NFL gets from it will increase gradually over the 9 year agreement. Most people are siting the average annual increase in revenue but that's far from painting an accurate picture on the salary cap over the next few years.

Annual revenue doesn't all of a sudden jump from $1.9 billion per year to the $3 billion level that is being discussed. Revenue from CBS, NBC and Fox to the NFL will likely increase incrementally, with more significant payments towards the end of the contract (just like a players' salary). Aside from the actual revenue from the TV deal, the NFL/Teams will likely have to pay taxes, fees, among an assortment of other hidden costs like a 1.5% stadium and player retirement benefits. That would likely be discussed in the new CBA.

So the first few years of the TV deal will likely be fairly similar to what the revenue is now. There may be a small increase in the % allocated to the players but that % would be AFTER taxes, fees, benefits, credits, etc.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #60
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope. I asked exactly what I wanted. badboy made an affirmative assertion "it has been suggested" and I wanted clarification on that assertion.

Why not? Have you seen me argue against him? But at this point there is absolutely zilch to think he is going to replace AJ's slot much less skill level. I certainly hope every player excels at their position for the Texans.
There's where the assumption - whether you meant it to be there or not - comes thru in your question. That whoever takes the #1 WR position will be or should be of A.J. quality.

I submit that somebody will get that job when A.J. decides he's ready to retire. So why not Jean?

However, having said that, I further submit that no one will ever "take A.J.'s place". Because I seriously doubt we will see his like - in temperment, talent, physicality, and work ethic (at WR) all in one package - ever again wearing a Texans uniform. At least not in my lifetime.

Now if this discussion is about usurping A.J.'s position - i.e., someone, anyone, coming in and beating out A.J. for his job while he still has the health and the mindset to play, then I agree; that ain't gonna happen.
And I'm sorry for interrupting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read