Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-19-2012   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kuharsky blog: 2013 Cap Carnage...A. Smith and K. Walter

Texans: Defensive end Antonio Smith has been a key player on the team’s defensive front. I can’t see them parting with him, but I didn’t see the Eric Winston move either. Smith is due $6 million and if fourth-rounder Jared Crick pans out quickly, there could be some strain on Smith. Kevin Walter is due $3.5 million in 2013, and after drafting DeVier Posey and Keshawn Martin the team could be ready to move on at receiver.

Link to full blog entry HERE.

Well, I don't know what the cap savings would be to cut Walter's $3.5 million salary (scheduled for 2013).

What is the cap implications IF he is cut THIS year before reg season begins??? What is the cap implications if he stays this year but is cut at end of 2012 season???

As far as A. Smith goes, yeah...I see a storm brewing if Crick flashes in what limited snaps he gets in 2012. $6 million for A. Smith for 2013? Not gonna' be here in 2013 unless it would only save us a small portion off cap space to cut him--Anybody know his cap hit if he's cut after 2012?
Old 06-19-2012   #2
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky blog: 2013 Cap Carnage...A. Smith and K. Walter

Antonio Smith is my no.1 candidate for next year's cap casualty.
Old 06-19-2012   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith still has $5 million of signing bonus that's not amortized. $2.5 million will count against the 2012 cap, the final $2.5 million against the 2013 cap. Cutting Smith in 2013 would realize a cap savings of $3.5 million. But, you (or Kuharsky) are assuming a 4th round pick will be able to effectively replace Smith. Big assumption. The real question is whether Smith can be replaced for less than $3.5 million in the FA market in 2013. I doubt that, which is why I see Smith getting a back loaded extension in 2013, which will lower his cap value.
Old 06-19-2012   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
...The real question is whether Smith can be replaced for less than $3.5 million in the FA market in 2013. I doubt that, which is why I see Smith getting a back loaded extension in 2013, which will lower his cap value.
So the savings (in terms of cap relief) would not be enough to warrant playing hardball with him nor relying upon his replacement if we went the route of cutting him or pissed him off by our dealings with him.

Is there a Vet Minimum issue with his potential new salary, though? Can it be adjusted however we want or is it rigid in terms of how much of it can be back loaded? Would the Texans be able to land a deal that's good for both him AND the Texans...or will a friendly deal "now" end up being a bit poisonous in the last years of the deal (causing delayed cap hell)?

I know, I'm full of questions. LOL.
Old 06-19-2012   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

I think Kevin Walter is a cut either this year or early 2013.

Granted, my statement is based on his age vs. the youth we're drafting for that position (will likely take at least a WR or two in 2013 draft, IMO). I just don't see him surviving here past this upcoming 2012 season.
Old 06-19-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Granted, my statement is based on his age vs. the youth we're drafting for that position (will likely take at least a WR or two in 2013 draft, IMO). I just don't see him surviving here past this upcoming 2012 season.
I said a while ago that I wouldn't be shocked if he was cut, but I think it'd take some pretty amazing circumstances that aren't likely to happen.

He's the only fully healthy vet on the team right now at wr.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smith still has $5 million of signing bonus that's not amortized. $2.5 million will count against the 2012 cap, the final $2.5 million against the 2013 cap. Cutting Smith in 2013 would realize a cap savings of $3.5 million. But, you (or Kuharsky) are assuming a 4th round pick will be able to effectively replace Smith. Big assumption. The real question is whether Smith can be replaced for less than $3.5 million in the FA market in 2013. I doubt that, which is why I see Smith getting a back loaded extension in 2013, which will lower his cap value.
Why did not Ric Smith try to do that already as we have been in cap hell since signing Manning and Joseph? Seems he could have kept Winston or at least Brisiel & extended Smith. I'm not arguing just bringing it up.
Old 06-19-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know. Kubiak is supposedly enthralled by Walter's good hands and blocking.
Old 06-19-2012   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Seems he could have kept Winston or at least Brisiel & extended Smith. I'm not arguing just bringing it up.
I just don't think the Texans wanted to keep Winston and Brisiel at those prices. Winston had regressed as a pass blocker and Brisiel had injuries the past 3 seasons. Good players, yes. But not $4million+/year players.
Old 06-19-2012   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know. Kubiak is supposedly enthralled by Walter's good hands and blocking.
Year before last Walter lead the NFL in catch percentage Vs targets - catching something like 67% of the balls thrown in his direction.

Just sayin ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Which frankly he has. The question on Walter is why they don't throw the ball to him. He catches a very, very high percentage of balls thrown his way. So is he not getting open? Does the scheme call for him to run screen plays for the other guys? What? I really hope Walter stays through this season if only to see the All-22 film that's being offered this year and answer those questions.
Old 06-19-2012   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Which frankly he has. The question on Walter is why they don't throw the ball to him. He catches a very, very high percentage of balls thrown his way. So is he not getting open? Does the scheme call for him to run screen plays for the other guys? What? I really hope Walter stays through this season if only to see the All-22 film that's being offered this year and answer those questions.
He's been playing injured, at least last season and possibly the one before. IIRC, that injury is decreasing his ability to get separation so he's not getting open and the QBs aren't expecting him to get open so they're looking elsewhere.

I'm reporting that as what I've heard (and surmised from that) and not claiming that it's accurate or true.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
I just don't think the Texans wanted to keep Winston and Brisiel at those prices. Winston had regressed as a pass blocker and Brisiel had injuries the past 3 seasons. Good players, yes. But not $4million+/year players.
Which begs the question...is Walter a $3.5 million-per-year WR?

That number is awfully close to Winston/Brisiel money.
Old 06-19-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Which frankly he has. The question on Walter is why they don't throw the ball to him. He catches a very, very high percentage of balls thrown his way. So is he not getting open?
Walter does not draw double coverage but I think Kubiak often designs plays for him to clear open zones and then block which is why we see the TE's with nobody around them so often. For a spitballing example - AJ drags a couple defenders with him up the left sideline, Walter pushes the CB up the right to right where he feels the transition in the zone is and then slants to the interior forcing the transition decision of either the CB following him or the safety taking him while OD comes off a block and leaks out into the flat where Walter and the CB had been. So now OD is 8 yards wide open and heading down field building up steam to hit the safety for another 5 yards of gain. The design of the play is for OD to be the first read with a second read on Walter if the transition is blown. He gets open, runs precise routes and has crisp cuts but I just think they use him more strategically to create mismatches rather than just a go out there and beat your guy on this route type of WR.
Old 06-19-2012   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Antonio Smith is my no.1 candidate for next year's cap casualty.
surprised no mention of OD. He needs a big year or he is number 1 IMO.
Old 06-20-2012   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
surprised no mention of OD. He needs a big year or he is number 1 IMO.
KW is gone next year... or, he'll do a favorable restructure. A.Smith will be interesting.

My understanding is that the cap will take a significant jump next season. The Texans clearly made tough decisions this year in preparation for next season and all the contracts coming due... Remember, Quin, Butler, McCain, Cody are all free agents as well. I know those aren't "A" list players, but they aren't guys that can simply be replaced with mid round rookies or unwanted veteran free agents either.

It appears the Texans front office has a grasp on the situation. If they are able to re-sign a couple key guys before this year, it will make their franchise tag more valuable and give them more bargaining power heading into 2013. So, I think getting a couple guys signed now is a huge key... Remember that guys like Barwin, Quin, McCain are all playing from pretty small rookie deals. So, tearing up the last year of those deals and giving them a multiple million dollar signing bonus is going to be attractive to those guys.
Old 06-20-2012   #17
Lucky

Quote:
Which begs the question...is Walter a $3.5 million-per-year WR?

That number is awfully close to Winston/Brisiel money.
If Walter doesn't put up numbers this year, he'll be asked to take another pay cut. His 2012 salary was reduced from $3.5 million to $2 million.
Old 06-20-2012   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
My understanding is that the cap will take a significant jump next season.
You might want to re-think your understanding.

Quote:
The salary cap slightly increased to $120.6 million from $120.37 last season. Several team management officials said it's not projected to jump much in 2013, prompting one general manager to say there could be "carnage" for some big-contract players
LINK

There's a difference of opinion between owners and players on where the salary cap will be next year (and 2014 for that matter), but the owners are claiming between the artificially propped up cap for 2011 and 2012, and the increase in benefits that will be paid, the salary number will be basically flat next season. I'm thinking in this issue, the owners are very probably right, and the players are very probably in for a disappointment.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 06-20-2012 at 02:27 AM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Walter does not draw double coverage but I think Kubiak often designs plays for him to clear open zones and then block which is why we see the TE's with nobody around them so often. For a spitballing example - AJ drags a couple defenders with him up the left sideline, Walter pushes the CB up the right to right where he feels the transition in the zone is and then slants to the interior forcing the transition decision of either the CB following him or the safety taking him while OD comes off a block and leaks out into the flat where Walter and the CB had been. So now OD is 8 yards wide open and heading down field building up steam to hit the safety for another 5 yards of gain. The design of the play is for OD to be the first read with a second read on Walter if the transition is blown. He gets open, runs precise routes and has crisp cuts but I just think they use him more strategically to create mismatches rather than just a go out there and beat your guy on this route type of WR.
Very good point!
Old 06-20-2012   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Walter doesn't put up numbers this year, he'll be asked to take another pay cut. His 2012 salary was reduced from $3.5 million to $2 million.
Yeah... I thought he'd already taken a paycut...

Is any of that guaranteed money?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read