Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-19-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: SI: Offseason Breakdown - Houston Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
What reason do we have to not be optimistic about next season?
We lost 2/5ths of our starting OL. Our QB is on the wrong side of 30 coming back from major foot injury. Our stud WR is on the wrong side of 30 coming back from leg issues. We lost our stud DE, or field captain at LB, [strikethrough]Jacoby Jones..... [/strikethrough], Foster's done got paid.... Wade's second year Jinx & we still have Smithiak...

honestly, I'm just trying to be pessimistic. You know I've been the kool-aid man for most seasons, but we don't generally do as well as I had hoped.... I thought we were going to be hosting the AFC Championship game in 2010 (remember).

Then when I got worried.... when I wasn't believ'n... they go 10-6 & win a home play-off game despite losing said starting QB, DE, & stud WR for several games.

call me superstituous.
Old 06-19-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Williams didnt play most of the season. Ryans played very little to start with.
In all honesty, the thing that does worry me the most, is our LBs. After Mario got hurt, the Defense was pretty healthy, I mean Sharpton got hurt, but then we replaced him with Demeco... so I don't really count that injury against us.

Barwin... Reed... Cushing... one of those guys go down & we're in deep doo-doo.

It's nice to replace a Mario Williams with a Barwin/Reed. It would have been nice to replace a Cushing with a Demeco.

Next year..... we'll be asking guys to step up who have no business stepping up. More Wishful thinking than anything.
Old 06-19-2012   #23
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In all honesty, the thing that does worry me the most, is our LBs. After Mario got hurt, the Defense was pretty healthy, I mean Sharpton got hurt, but then we replaced him with Demeco... so I don't really count that injury against us.

It's nice to replace a Mario Williams with a Barwin/Reed. It would have been nice to replace a Cushing with a Demeco.

Next year..... we'll be asking guys to step up who have no business stepping up. More Wishful thinking than anything.
To the first bolded: It's the other way around obviously, that's what happened and Cush is still here. 'Meco has feathers now. Case closed.

2nd: What qualification do you have to make that determination? I'm going to believe in the staff that's brought us to this point.

That's just me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mean Sharpton got hurt, but then we replaced him with Demeco... so I don't really count that injury against us.
In what alternate universe did this happen? Ryans started all 16 games last year. Sharpton started none.
Old 06-19-2012   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I definitely feel like the defense will have a strong chance at being better.
I do too... A lot of people have brought up stats about Wade Phillips' drop-off as a second year D-Coordinator. That said, someone said (I think it might've Barwin) that because of the shortened off-season last year that Wade had only installed about 75% of his defense. If true and coupled with the young talent on "D", you're right (and I've said it too), this defense can be even better than last year!!
Old 06-19-2012   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I do too... A lot of people have brought up stats about Wade Phillips' drop-off as a second year D-Coordinator. That said, someone said (I think it might've Barwin) that because of the shortened off-season last year that Wade had only installed about 75% of his defense. If true and coupled with the young talent on "D", you're right (and I've said it too), this defense can be even better than last year!!
Seems eerily reminiscient to the 2010 off-season
Old 06-19-2012   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nah, I'm going to say If Reed or Barwin goes down, Mercilus will step in as did Reed. Now if Cush or Bradie is injured, uh oh. I am much more concerned with AJ going down again.
Old 06-19-2012   #28
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Nah, I'm going to say If Reed or Barwin goes down, Mercilus will step in as did Reed. Now if Cush or Bradie is injured, uh oh. I am much more concerned with AJ going down again.
Look at how many times Jonathan Joseph has played all 16 games in a season.
Old 06-20-2012   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Season predictions this time of year... before T/C or preseason...?

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #30
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless something very weird happens, the Texans will win the AFC South again this year. That part I'm not worried about. What happens after we win the AFC South is what worries me. The football gods have a history of not being kind to Houston pro football teams.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #31
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Unless something very weird happens, the Texans will win the AFC South again this year. That part I'm not worried about. What happens after we win the AFC South is what worries me. The football gods have a history of not being kind to Houston pro football teams.
I think the "football gods" have out so bad for the Houston pro football teams, that it spills over into our basketball and baseball team. How in the world did we go through 5 years of TMac and Yao and not even sniff a championship (yes, I was a fan during the championship years)? Almost 20 years of Biggio and Bags...only one world series appearance. Hey, Atleast the Comets were getting it in.
Old 06-21-2012   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We followed our 7-9 season with 2-14

We followed our 9-7 season with 6-10

Only stands to reason, we'll follow our 10-6 season with 8-8.....

it's simple math
If AJ and Schaub cant stay healthy I could see it.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The defense should be better next yr. Although the stats probably wont reflect this.

Facing Rodgers/Stafford/Cutler/Manning/Flacco isn't going to be easy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning should cure the whinning

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #35
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The defense should be better next yr. Although the stats probably wont reflect this.

Facing Rodgers/Stafford/Cutler/Manning/Flacco isn't going to be easy.
You threw Flacco in there as a joke right?
Old 06-21-2012   #36
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
And didn't mention Brady.
Old 06-22-2012   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Cutler too... I mean, who's gonna keep him upright against Wade's Wild Bunch?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #38
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems eerily reminiscient to the 2010 off-season
DUDE!!! TK, seriously man, we need to get you on some Paxil or Cymbalta.... something!! You're killing my buzz.
Old 06-23-2012   #39
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
By that same token then, what reason do we have to be optimistic about next season?
Because the Texans have one of the best rosters in the NFL and are bringing their starting QB and top WR back healthy. Let's start there.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I cannot fathom all this inward negativity from guys here that work in the draft forums. This is two years in a row Texans have surprised me with the quality & depth of their drafts, I think that is a huge reason to be optimistic moving forward not negative. I still hear 610 talking heads gush 2006 draft as the best, well who among them are still here & how much impact in 2012 will what remains impart? Wade Phillips came in here before 2011 draft & identified a course of action & really it starts with JJ Watt & Brooks Reed. He brought Cushing back to form from rookie season, rebuilt Kareem Jackson's role & has made some savvy free agent recommendations (Manning, Joseph, Bradie). Now add Mercilus to heal loss of Mario, then a cast of capable starting & role players in 2012 there is a lot to be fired up about. Is it Football Season yet

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read