Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-11-2012   #141
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: The Texans Would Like to Sign Brown, Barwin, Schaub Before the Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
To pay him upwards of 12+ million a year he has to take the team into the playoffs and win some games IMHO. He has to stay healthy, he's missed the following games:

5 in 2007
5 in 2008
6 in 2011

So in short he's missed and entire season out of 5 seasons that we've had him on the roster. Not what I would consider stellar, but again he's putting up numbers but then again so did and here we go: Sage Rosenfels.. so we have to ask ourselves are we a system offense that we plug certain types of players in and ask them not to do just their job?

I'm going to eat some huge crow here, but the more and more I watch Gary come over the hurdles the more and more I have respect for his system on offense, he still doesn't know jack about playing defense though. I think he's probably one of the top offensive minds in the game, but not the best HC.
Please compare injuries to everyone's hall of famer Andre Johnson.
Old 07-11-2012   #142
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: The Texans Would Like to Sign Brown, Barwin, Schaub Before the Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Point taken, but you have to consider that QB's are generally protected. While WR's are out there getting blasted.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #143
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Point taken, but you have to consider that QB's are generally protected. While WR's are out there getting blasted.
I think if you look back on the injuries suffered by Matt, you'd find that he wasn't generally protected. :-) Ironically Andre wasn't touched last season.
Old 07-11-2012   #144
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
I think if you look back on the injuries suffered by Matt, you'd find that he wasn't generally protected. :-) Ironically Andre wasn't touched last season.
That's because one guy is mobile and the other isn't.

It's no mystery why Schaub is continually hurt. AJ has been grinding out 1,000 yard seasons for many years now, it's expected for him to gimp up on his own. Schaub is getting rolled on, stepped on, smacked down, etc...and it's a product of his pocket preference.

Yes, Schaub stares down a blitz. And Yes, he gives every pass play a full effort. But damn almighty he's a glutton for punishment. Thats not out of preference, IMO, that's out of sheer lack of mobility.

We need a more mobile QB. Schaub is our best chance for 2012, but I'd really prefer someone who has wheels and can pass too. This is where I get labeled "Schaub hater," btw. In 3, 2, 1....LOL.
Old 07-11-2012   #145
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Andre Johnson over 8 years has played in 85% of our games
Matt Schaub over 5 years has played in 80% of our games.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #146
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Schaub has been taken out by Haynesworth twice, IIRC.

Once it was the shoulder when Fat Albert was in Tennessee.

Again, this time it was Matt's foot, when Fat Albert was with the Bucs.

Minus Albert Haynesworth, Matt Schaub would have played in a about 10 more games than he has.
Old 07-11-2012   #147
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Andre Johnson over 8 years has played in 85% of our games
Matt Schaub over 5 years has played in 80% of our games.
6 games of which have been due to flagged & fined illegal hits. Take those out and Schaub has played in 86.5%.
Old 07-12-2012   #148
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
6 games of which have been due to flagged & fined illegal hits. Take those out and Schaub has played in 86.5%.
Schaub has always been injury prone, are you trying to talk yourself out of that? He never even played a full 3-4 years in college, and hurt his shoulder even then. I admit the last two years have been better and his ankle kind of a freak accident in some way, but Matt Schaub doesn't seem to be the most durable QB's we've seen.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/n...photo=29827485

Old 07-12-2012   #149
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub has always been injury prone, are you trying to talk yourself out of that?
I'm not trying to talk myself out of anything. I have consistently opposed calling players injury prone when they do not have repetitive injuries of the same type. Getting a concussion from being blind sided in San Diego didn't mean he was any more or less susceptible to having Jared Allen hit his knee twice and neither of them had anything to do with Fat Albert landing just so on his foot. I think injury prone is thrown around far too much in general.
Old 07-12-2012   #150
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok he isnt injury prone. He's just prone to being injured.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #151
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ok he isnt injury prone. He's just prone to being injured.
LOLOLOL

Old 07-12-2012   #152
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey View Post
ok he isnt injury prone. He's just prone to being injured.
LOL.

Msr.
Old 07-12-2012   #153
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub has always been injury prone, are you trying to talk yourself out of that? He never even played a full 3-4 years in college, and hurt his shoulder even then. I admit the last two years have been better and his ankle kind of a freak accident in some way, but Matt Schaub doesn't seem to be the most durable QB's we've seen.

Schaub is not the most durable, but much of the time he has missed is due to defenders intentionally taking him out. People forget about Drayton Florence of the Chargers getting fined for landing a vicious late hit to Schaub's lower back, causing missed games. Or Richard Seymour getting fined a couple of years ago for going for Schaub's knees. And when Allen went for his knees, he did it twice in the same game just to make sure he got the job done. I think defensive coordinators know about Schaub's durability issues, and instruct their guys to exploit it. It's the only way Albert Haynesworth knows how to beat him.

I also think that Rick Smith's reluctance to sign Schaub has less to do with durability than it does with Schaub proving he's the same player post-recovery. I have my own concerns about that, considering that the injury is on his planting foot.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #154
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Schaub is not the most durable, but much of the time he has missed is due to defenders intentionally taking him out. People forget about Drayton Florence of the Chargers getting fined for landing a vicious late hit to Schaub's lower back, causing missed games. Or Richard Seymour getting fined a couple of years ago for going for Schaub's knees. And when Allen went for his knees, he did it twice in the same game just to make sure he got the job done. I think defensive coordinators know about Schaub's durability issues, and instruct their guys to exploit it. It's the only way Albert Haynesworth knows how to beat him.

I also think that Rick Smith's reluctance to sign Schaub has less to do with durability than it does with Schaub proving he's the same player post-recovery. I have my own concerns about that, considering that the injury is on his planting foot.
Kind of has me thinking about the whole Saints Bountygate scandal. You know these other Defenses talk about hitting Schaub hard and trying to "take him out" or "rattle him".
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #155
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If you are not looking at what caused injury, should you not use same criteria when identifying a player as injury prone? AJ and Schaub have missed almost same amount of games. If either is "prone" so is the other. FWIW, imo neither are prone.
Old 07-12-2012   #156
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
He never even played a full 3-4 years in college, and hurt his shoulder even then.
He had one injury in college - the opposite shoulder.
Old 07-13-2012   #157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Texans Content; Wimbley won't fix Titans' pass rush alone

Quote:
BSPN>Kamerion Wimbley, on July 27 he’ll report to Titans training camp with a singular football mission that will require display of the same traits: boost Tennessee's pass rush.
Yes This story belongs in Texans talk... for 2 reasons.
  1. This two time Loser just inked a $35M contract; $13.5 Guaranteed
    Quote:
    After he was a cap casualty in Oakland, the Titans pounced to add Wimbley, signing him to a five-year, $35 million contract with $13.5 million guaranteed.
    So, maybe two time loser is a little strong. But, my point is what's Barwin going to command next offseason?
  2. Why didn't they mention Schaub when Wimbley will be chasing him twice a year.
    Quote:
    Can Wimbley, a healthy Derrick Morgan opposite him on the line, and the coaching of Millard make the Titans’ defense more threatening to passers they’ll face such as Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Matthew Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers?

I know it's BSPN & I'm not the most ardent Schaub fan; but I'm offended.
Old 07-13-2012   #158
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Content; Wimbley won't fix Titans' pass rush alone

Without a solid secondary, the d-line and even linebackers while talented, will have a hard time getting to the QB.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #159
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it a Kuharsky article?
Old 07-13-2012   #160
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
[*]Why didn't they mention Schaub when Wimbley will be chasing him twice a year.
Because of Schaub's break away speed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read