Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-19-2012   #61
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: The Texans Would Like to Sign Brown, Barwin, Schaub Before the Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I am talking about his continual insistence on being the grammar cop.
I am rarely the grammar cop.

This is a forum. It's a casual atmosphere. There are going to be typos and there are going to be misspellings and there are going to be run-on sentences (like this one) and there are going to be grammatical mistakes. I don't point out 98% of the mistakes I see because I make them myself in my own posts.

But that particular post was not comprehensible. I honestly did not and do not know what Norg was trying to say. I was trying to help Norg understand that and prod him to clarify.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #62
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: The Texans Would Like to Sign Brown, Barwin, Schaub Before the Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCR View Post
And like the previous poster said, and you will replace him with....? There is no better QB on the market right now and it will not be on the next offseason. Too much hate for a QB that can throw for 4500 yds in a couple of seasons.

I'll say get Brown and, like somebody also said, give schaub a 2 year contract IF POSSIBLE ( Schaub is getting older and like Brees he is probably looking for one last big contract ) then go on the 2014 Draft and get your future franchise QB, let him sit one year behind Schaub to learn the system and how to be a pro.

Barwin, I love how he plays and if we have to cut the ninja, its something that we have to consider having Crick AND using a first round pick next year on a DL. Walter will have to go to.

Im more worried about Cushing the following year, with our cap problems how are we going to keep him? He is gonna cost a lot.

Edited to say one more thing, I dont think Rick is going to address any of these contracts this year and we may lose some guys because of this...just a gut feeling.
Dont worry, all teams with above avg FO's keep their 10-12 best players. Barwin and Cushing are in that top 10-12 range.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #63
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yeah, I am hoping Matt leads us to SB then Yates starts 2013.
I agree. I have no doubt Matt will get a huge payday if he does win it all, but hope it isn't from the Texans.

Yates to me as it stands, is the future.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #64
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I really doubt that will be the case. I don't think Schaub fits every scheme out there, nor does he have a rocket arm that most team's covet. The kind of teams that I would expect to go after Schaub would be the Browns, Seahawks, Jags, Rams, Bucs or Vikings. Many of those are dependent on how their QB situation works out this year, and where they end up drafting. Even still, I don't see the bottom dwellers throwing a ton of money at Schaub unless the 90% salary cap floor becomes a factor and they need to drop 14+ million that year. At that price, yeah I think he will be gone.

Another thing to factor in is that Drew Brees is still under the franchise tag. He may be a free agent next year...
Perhaps. It feels crazy to say Schaub will make 14 million or whatever a year but again Flaco and Sanchez, who are both lesser quarterbacks, make 11-12 million. I base my opinion on moves like Tannehill,Ponder,Tebow,Wheeden, etc being 1st round picks. The lack of other quarterbacks in free agency just validates my opinion more I think. Supply and demand. Dont let him test free agency. I dont want to find out if i'm right or wrong.
Old 06-19-2012   #65
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you want to tie up close to $20m/year in your QB? Not me.

THE $100 MILLION QUESTION

There are many details to be worked out in Brees' contract, but the biggest issue is total value. And the biggest question is whether Brees will become the first player in NFL history to average $20 million per season.

Earlier this year the Denver Broncos signed Peyton Manning (another Condon client) to a five-year deal worth $19.2 million per year, the richest in league history. Before that, Manning's 2011 deal with the Indianapolis Colts and Tom Brady's 2010 extension with the New England Patriots each averaged $18 million per year.

As of a few weeks ago, the Saints had been offering Brees around $18.75 million per year, and the Brees camp was seeking around $20.3 million to $20.5 million per year, according to sources and reports. A source confirmed that the Saints made a new offer two weeks ago, but the details have not been disclosed.

Eventually the sides are expected to meet somewhere between $19.2 million and $20 million per year, making Brees the highest-paid player in NFL history.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...rew_brees.html
If Schaub wants Drew Brees or Peyton Manning money then he has to be let go. No freaking way. If he was willing to take a Ryan Fitzpatrick deal (6y, 59m) then I'd do that extension right now, today.
Old 06-19-2012   #66
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If Schaub wants Drew Brees or Peyton Manning money then he has to be let go. No freaking way. If he was willing to take a Ryan Fitzpatrick deal (6y, 59m) then I'd do that extension right now, today.
No way, too long of a deal.
Old 06-19-2012   #67
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown, he should be signed now. The Texans should negotiate hard and get the best deal they can but get it done early. Brown has improved every year, is very good bordering on elite status, and has no injury history. Get it done this summer Rick. A 4 or 5 yrs. deal, no more.

Barwin, if he can be signed now for a reasonable deal then get it done now, again a 4-5 yrs. deal, no more. If he won't sign for a reasonable deal then wait til the end of the season because even though he's very good, he's not elite yet and he's only had 1 yr. of really good productivity. Also with the addition of Mercilus and a 3 man rotation at OLB Barwins stats could likely go down next season.

Schaub, wait til the end of the season for him. He's got an extensive injury history, has never lead this team into the playoffs, he's not a field general that takes command and carries the team, and just doesn't have that undefinable "IT" factor. If he has a great season and leads us deep into the playoffs then re-sign him but no more than 4 yrs. If all else fails trade up in the 1st round of the 2013 draft and get a potentially elite QB.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2012   #68
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob McNair was on 610 earlier today and said that he'd like to work something out with as many guys as possible before the start of the season. He said that he would have preferred to work something out during the offseason last year with some guys but the lockout prevented them from having contact with the players or agents. Didn't go into detail which players he would have liked to re-sign though.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To clarify my post, I was not saying that Matt will want Brees money but responding to another poster's hint that Brees could be a FA next off season & Texans could try to sign him.
Old 06-19-2012   #70
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As many contracts are not guaranteed last 2-3 years could be dropped. I'd do that deal in a split second with caveats for his health and being able to play.
Old 06-19-2012   #71
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Schaub, wait til the end of the season for him. He's got an extensive injury history, has never lead this team into the playoffs, he's not a field general that takes command and carries the team, and just doesn't have that undefinable "IT" factor.
So Schaub orchestrates 7.5 of 10 wins last year and doesn't get credit for leading the team to the playoffs last season? The players universally disagree with your field general comments.

The short deals you are suggesting particularly for Brown and Barwin are going to be a major sticking point.
Old 06-19-2012   #72
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Brown, he should be signed now. The Texans should negotiate hard and get the best deal they can but get it done early. Brown has improved every year, is very good bordering on elite status, and has no injury history. Get it done this summer Rick. A 4 or 5 yrs. deal, no more.

Barwin, if he can be signed now for a reasonable deal then get it done now, again a 4-5 yrs. deal, no more. If he won't sign for a reasonable deal then wait til the end of the season because even though he's very good, he's not elite yet and he's only had 1 yr. of really good productivity. Also with the addition of Mercilus and a 3 man rotation at OLB Barwins stats could likely go down next season.

Schaub, wait til the end of the season for him. He's got an extensive injury history, has never lead this team into the playoffs, he's not a field general that takes command and carries the team, and just doesn't have that undefinable "IT" factor. If he has a great season and leads us deep into the playoffs then re-sign him but no more than 4 yrs. If all else fails trade up in the 1st round of the 2013 draft and get a potentially elite QB.
Wolfe you were going great until you got to Schaub. If you wait too long it tends to piss off the player who may want to go elsewhere to feel "appreciated". The problem with this is there is not a good replacement for Matt. The best is Yates and that may or may not work. There is no elite QB to trade up to get in 2013 at least as it looks today. There is no better free agent QB. You can offer all the contracts you want that are team friendly and the player can say no thanks; just as Mario Williams did PRIOR to signing with Buffalo. I agree Matt should not be signed for more than 3 years of actual playing time but why should Schaub do that? This is his last chance to take care of his future. Much different than Barwin, Foster or Butler who are younger. Even Duane Brown will want to go for the gold.
Old 06-19-2012   #73
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Bob McNair was on 610 earlier today and said that he'd like to work something out with as many guys as possible before the start of the season. He said that he would have preferred to work something out during the offseason last year with some guys but the lockout prevented them from having contact with the players or agents. Didn't go into detail which players he would have liked to re-sign though.
I see this as good news. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-19-2012   #74
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wolfe you were going great until you got to Schaub. If you wait too long it tends to piss off the player who may want to go elsewhere to feel "appreciated". The problem with this is there is not a good replacement for Matt. The best is Yates and that may or may not work. There is no elite QB to trade up to get in 2013 at least as it looks today. There is no better free agent QB. You can offer all the contracts you want that are team friendly and the player can say no thanks; just as Mario Williams did PRIOR to signing with Buffalo. I agree Matt should not be signed for more than 3 years of actual playing time but why should Schaub do that? This is his last chance to take care of his future. Much different than Barwin, Foster or Butler who are younger. Even Duane Brown will want to go for the gold.
Damn, badboy, how much does a future cost? Matt's already made a couple of Gamillion. I know it costs more to raise twins, but how MUCH more?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #75
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see two, maybe three on the list I would take over Matt.

He needs to make a huge statement this year, I hope he does.
I think Kubiak is going to ride with TJ and try and groom Case Keenum to take the starting spot in 2-3 years. IMO of course.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #76
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good thing you are very far away from the Texans FO. Your analysis of QBs is godawful.
Old 06-19-2012   #77
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Longer deals for Brown and for Barwin (who I think solidifies himself this year as an elite pass rusher) but otherwise I think you are on point. If Barwin wants to break the bank I dont see that we can be a player if Mercilus shows to be a good option. Your assesment of Matt is dead-on, but even if he wins the SB I wouldnt offer him more than a two year deal and the absolute outside max would be 10M a year. Too much ongoing injury risk.

Rep.
Old 06-19-2012   #78
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your analysis of QBs is godawful.
I dont know, I called Yates playing by the 10th game last year (missed it by a game) on the other Texans MB. So sometimes I get lucky probably, or maybe know a little bit even if I dont go along with the mass opinion like most.
Old 06-19-2012   #79
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

They could add a Colts/Manning type injury opt-out clause to Schaub's contract if they do decide to resign him this offseason. I don't see them guaranteeing him the kind of money he's going to get w/o seeing how that foot holds up or w/o some kind of insurance.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #80
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont know, I called Yates playing by the 10th game last year (missed it by a game) on the other Texans MB. So sometimes I get lucky probably, or maybe know a little bit even if I dont go along with the mass opinion like most.
Even if that's the case, how does getting lucky predicting the timing of an injury translate to "quarterback analysis"?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read