Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2012   #41
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 80974 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

All roads lead to re-signing Cushing. He is Smith's #1 resume' bullet.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #42
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: The Texans Would Like to Sign Brown, Barwin, Schaub Before the Season

why pay schaub ....???? is my question
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: The Texans Would Like to Sign Brown, Barwin, Schaub Before the Season

Defense will carry this team not the offense that is were the focus of investment needs to be. A solid OL & star RB is enough to carry even a marginal QB to the Superbowl

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
why pay schaub ....???? is my question
After reading this post, I have no idea what your question is. This is why grammar is important. The ellipses indicate a pause or a trailing off of your voice and that forces the second part to be "??? is my question" But do the "????" mean that you're incredulous about the original words or does it mean that you're asking the original phrase as a question or does it mean that the question is your question? I don't know.

Do you mean: Why pay Schaub? Are you kidding?

Or do you mean: Why pay Schaub? That's my question.

But when I try to parse your message, I'm not sure which way you're going.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #45
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Defense will carry this team not the offense that is were the focus of investment needs to be. A solid OL & star RB is enough to carry even a marginal QB to the Superbowl
Why, because Brad Johnson and Dilfer won a title with historic defenses? That is the exception.. not the rule. You need a very good QB to win a title. Just pull up past SB winners and look at their signal callers.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
We're spoiled.

If it weren't for the offense last season, we'd have been the Jacksonville Jaguars.

If it weren't for Matt Schaub.. who is better than "marginal" we'd have been the Jaguars or the 8-8 Broncos.
Old 06-19-2012   #47
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well by all means then tell us who?
Joe Flacco
Brian Hoyer
Jason Campbell (borderline)
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2012   #48
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCR View Post
And like the previous poster said, and you will replace him with....?
First choice to replace him? Yates.
Old 06-19-2012   #49
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
After reading this post, I have no idea what your question is. This is why grammar is important. The ellipses indicate a pause or a trailing off of your voice and that forces the second part to be "??? is my question" But do the "????" mean that you're incredulous about the original words or does it mean that you're asking the original phrase as a question or does it mean that the question is your question? I don't know.

Do you mean: Why pay Schaub? Are you kidding?

Or do you mean: Why pay Schaub? That's my question.

But when I try to parse your message, I'm not sure which way you're going.
Your trying to seem like you have a grasp of the English language is laughable, and annoying.

Just sayin.
Old 06-19-2012   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm not worried about Cushing at all. The MLB position's average salary has been slightly decreasing the past couple years as teams move more towards coverage heavy schemes to combat the vast amount of passing. I think if you threw Cushing in the mix this offseason, he would get the least per year of the 4, but would be retained. If Antonio stays on the team through the year, his 8 million cap hit is more than enough to pay Cushing. At worst, we franchise Cushing in 2013 and he's stuck negotiating with Rick, which we know is every player's dream...

Some other LBs for comps:

So now, here are the top five contracts for inside linebackers:

1. Patrick Willis, San Francisco: seven years, $53.51 million, $29 million guaranteed.

2. Jon Beason, Carolina: six years, $51.3 million, $25 million guaranteed.

3. Jerod Mayo, New England: seven years,$49.85 million, $25 million guaranteed.

4. D’Qwell Jackson, Cleveland: five years, $ 42.5 million, $19.5 million guaranteed.

5. David Harris, New York Jets: four years, $36 million, $29.5 million guaranteed.

Stephen Tulloch got five-year contract worth $25.5 million, with $11.25 million guaranteed.

Ahmad Brooks to a six-year, $44.5 million contract with $17.5 million of it guaranteed

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons...s-free-agency/

I think at most we are looking at 8 mill per year for Cushing, and he may get that, unless he gets tagged. Then he will probably settle for 6-8 per. He's not a huge caphit due to his position, but he is important. Clay Matthews will also be vying for a new deal from the Packers that year, so we may get lucky if he settles for 6-7 before we sign Cushing.
If I am the agent for either of these former teammates, I hold out for 5 year $50m and $30m guaranteed with at least $10m upfront bonus. I really would not care what other LBs got because these two are best now & I think I can get it from some team. Same with D. Brown.
Old 06-19-2012   #51
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Your trying to seem like you have a grasp of the English language is laughable, and annoying.

Just sayin.
Everything he said made sense..
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Ummmm....

This talk about not bringing back Schaub at this point is ridunkulous.

I don't care if you think Schaub is an A+, A-,B+ or B-....You don't let any of those guys go without a replacement coming in that you have absolute confidence in.

Is Yates that guy? I honestly don't know. I need to see more, myself.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I really doubt that will be the case. I don't think Schaub fits every scheme out there, nor does he have a rocket arm that most team's covet. The kind of teams that I would expect to go after Schaub would be the Browns, Seahawks, Jags, Rams, Bucs or Vikings. Many of those are dependent on how their QB situation works out this year, and where they end up drafting. Even still, I don't see the bottom dwellers throwing a ton of money at Schaub unless the 90% salary cap floor becomes a factor and they need to drop 14+ million that year. At that price, yeah I think he will be gone.

Another thing to factor in is that Drew Brees is still under the franchise tag. He may be a free agent next year...
So you want to tie up close to $20m/year in your QB? Not me.

THE $100 MILLION QUESTION

There are many details to be worked out in Brees' contract, but the biggest issue is total value. And the biggest question is whether Brees will become the first player in NFL history to average $20 million per season.

Earlier this year the Denver Broncos signed Peyton Manning (another Condon client) to a five-year deal worth $19.2 million per year, the richest in league history. Before that, Manning's 2011 deal with the Indianapolis Colts and Tom Brady's 2010 extension with the New England Patriots each averaged $18 million per year.

As of a few weeks ago, the Saints had been offering Brees around $18.75 million per year, and the Brees camp was seeking around $20.3 million to $20.5 million per year, according to sources and reports. A source confirmed that the Saints made a new offer two weeks ago, but the details have not been disclosed.

Eventually the sides are expected to meet somewhere between $19.2 million and $20 million per year, making Brees the highest-paid player in NFL history.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...rew_brees.html
Old 06-19-2012   #54
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Everything he said made sense..
I am talking about his continual insistence on being the grammar cop.
Old 06-19-2012   #55
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Is Yates that guy? I honestly don't know. I need to see more, myself.
I would also like to see a little more, but was very impressed with what he did under the type of pressure he was under as a rookie last year. Obviously he made his mistakes, but i think he really showed he has potential, and isn't that far away from being able to realize that potential if given the opportunity.

That being said, this is Matts year. Hope he takes advantage of it.
Old 06-19-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I would also like to see a little more, but was very impressed with what he did under the type of pressure he was under as a rookie last year. Obviously he made his mistakes, but i think he really showed he has potential, and isn't that far away from being able to realize that potential if given the opportunity.

That being said, this is Matts year. Hope he takes advantage of it.
Yeah, I am hoping Matt leads us to SB then Yates starts 2013.
Old 06-19-2012   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If I am the agent for either of these former teammates, I hold out for 5 year $50m and $30m guaranteed with at least $10m upfront bonus. I really would not care what other LBs got because these two are best now & I think I can get it from some team. Same with D. Brown.
What are you talking about former teammates? Of course what other players make at the position is a consideration.

There is no way 1 time pro-bowler Cushing can expect a 33% pay increase over 5 time pro-bowler, 4 time first team All-Pro Willis.
Old 06-19-2012   #58
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just sayin.
Reading a post that is incomprehensible is annoying.

Not sayin, just sayin.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #59
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Well, Foster certainly had a case for being at least a top 3 RB in the league going into this offseason, but look at the RB salary landscape before he signed:

Quote:
1. Adrian Peterson -- 7 years, 96 million. 36 million guaranteed (13.7apy).
2. Darren McFadden -- 6 years, 60 million. 26 million guaranteed (10apy).
3. Chris Johnson -- 6 years, 55 million. 30 million guaranteed (9.17apy).
4. DeAngelo Williams -- 5 years, 43 million. 21 million guaranteed (8.6apy).
5. Steven Jackson -- 6 years, 44.8 million. 20.5 million guaranteed (7.47apy).
6. Frank Gore -- 4 years, 25.9 million. 13.5 million guaranteed (6.48apy).
7. Maurice Jones-Drew -- 5 years, 31 million. 17.5 million guaranteed (6.2apy).
8. Michael Turner -- 6 years, 34.5 million. 15 million guaranteed. (5.75apy).
9. C.J. Spiller -- 5 years, 25 million. 20.8 million guaranteed (5apy).
10. Jamaal Charles -- 6 years, 28 million. 10 million guaranteed (4.67apy).
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...ck-market?pg=1

Foster is getting slightly less money than Deangelo Williams, so these things do tend to play a role in the negotiation process. Foster may have given the Texans a discount too, so that may be the reason he was such a great deal. But do you think another team is going to offer Foster 9 million + per year? I don't.

I think Cushing will re-sign with the Texans, one way or another, but I don't think he will break our bank.
Old 06-19-2012   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What are you talking about former teammates? Of course what other players make at the position is a consideration.

There is no way 1 time pro-bowler Cushing can expect a 33% pay increase over 5 time pro-bowler, 4 time first team All-Pro Willis.
Just seeing if you were paying attention. You are like my spell check & I want to keep you alert.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read