Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2012   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Moran Norris signs 1 year deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ck-to-houston/
Old 06-14-2012   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Moran Norris signs 1 year deal

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....??????
Old 06-14-2012   #3
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46286 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

He worked\tried out with the team during the 3 day minicamp and we apparently liked what we saw. Haven't heard anything on Sims-Walker, so I'm guessing we passed.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Some thoughts:

Saw Darrell Smith working some with the 1s last week on short yardage. Asked about him. That's when Kubiak talked about how he had concern at the spot behind James Casey.

I'm thinking with the exit of Joel Dreessen, Casey is going to get more work at TE. He works with the TEs during drills.

And with all that Casey does and his history, you worry a bit about durability, though intrigued with him in a contract year.

With the transition on the right side of the line, and new WRs maybe in the mix, I'm not sure the Texans want a baby fullback too.

Here is Norris from today. Full grown. (Caption: Hey lady take the * picture already because it is * hot. Actually he was very very gracious but my camera work wasn't the quickest).

Old 06-14-2012   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I guess Jason Ford isn't doing well...

Interesting. I think it locks Casey into TE.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #6
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Chick Harris thinks highly of him.
Old 06-14-2012   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

From various interviews, I gather that Kubiak is both uncomfortable with the young talent and impressed with Moran. It seems he'll use him as both a stop gap and a leader.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2012   #8
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, this is a good pick up. I think we need a FB that fits the role as a battering ram. Everything else, running/catching the ball, secondary skills. Leave that to Casey.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not? I know he's moved around a lot, but I thought he played well when he was a Texan before, albeit 6 or 7 years ago. Also, he won't cost that much and he'll be motivated playing in his hometown again..

We'll see.
Old 06-14-2012   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Solid signing. We just signed Arian to that giant contract. It'd be best to give him a known quantity at FB instead of an undrafted rookie.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

When someone asked who would have more TD catches: Walter or Casey....

I said James Casey because he was going to be the next Owen Daniels and Graham was going to be the next Dreessen.

Moran Norris at FB just solidified that. Casey won't see a snap at FB unless we have injuries to Norris and whatever depth is behind Norris.

Folks, Thor is about to be unleashed in full power. He's a matchup nightmare against LBs. Stack him at the end of the line and the possibilities are delicious--He's going to eat up zones like a mad man.
Old 06-14-2012   #12
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Rock and Roll! Touchdown, James Casey!
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
When someone asked who would have more TD catches: Walter or Casey....

I said James Casey because he was going to be the next Owen Daniels and Graham was going to be the next Dreessen.

Moran Norris at FB just solidified that. Casey won't see a snap at FB unless we have injuries to Norris and whatever depth is behind Norris.

Folks, Thor is about to be unleashed in full power. He's a matchup nightmare against LBs. Stack him at the end of the line and the possibilities are delicious--He's going to eat up zones like a mad man.
Disagree... The fact that Casey can line-up as a FB or more accurately an H-Back works out nicely... Bringing Moran (Houstonian) back to the Texans bodes well for the "O" contingent (of course) if he still "has it"

I totally agree with you about "Thor is about to be unleashed", JUST STAY HEALTHY!!! If he can and/or does, he can be devastating!!!!

Joel Dreessen who??? (I don't really mean that)
Old 06-14-2012   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Super bowl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Casey looks really ready.

Even so, I have a hard time thinking he has a consistently big year because of so many options for this offense.

Andre is going to get his because he's Andre and gets things despite coverage.

Foster is going to get his.

Schaub loves throwing to Daniels. You can see it.

So Casey comes in as 2nd TE, and how much do they run that? Dreessen had a very bizarre year getting so many TDs despite not getting targeted much. I don't recall that weird phenomenon happening too much in the offense.

So pluses to Casey having a big season: looks very ready, contract year, with Schaub back they will be able to do the fun things they could do when the offense was Casey complex, Dreessen gone.

Negatives to Casey having a big season
: Offense has too many targets to think the #2 tight end is going to get a ton of consistent targets. He's going to split TE targets with OD. Staying healthy an entire season.

Maybe some fullback when it isn't super short yardage.
Old 06-14-2012   #16
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I think Casey looks really ready.

Even so, I have a hard time thinking he has a consistently big year because of so many options for this offense.

Andre is going to get his because he's Andre and gets things despite coverage.

Foster is going to get his.

Schaub loves throwing to Daniels. You can see it.

So Casey comes in as 2nd TE, and how much do they run that? Dreessen had a very bizarre year getting so many TDs despite not getting targeted much. I don't recall that weird phenomenon happening too much in the offense.

So pluses to Casey having a big season: looks very ready, contract year, with Schaub back they will be able to do the fun things they could do when the offense was Casey complex, Dreessen gone.

Negatives to Casey having a big season
: Offense has too many targets to think the #2 tight end is going to get a ton of consistent targets. He's going to split TE targets with OD. Staying healthy an entire season.

Maybe some fullback when it isn't super short yardage.
I could see Casey becoming a legitimate third passing option to start the season behind AJ and OD, and depending on how he progresses possibly turning into a Dallas Clark type weapon for us.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #17
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this signing for a couple of reasons.

1. It allows Casey to really focus on the TE position and do what he does best. I do think he'll line up at FB at times because it creates mismatches when an LB tries to cover him out of the backfield. Moran is a banger and he'll give us about 15-25 plays a game which he should still have left at this point in his career.

2. This should give us some roster flexibility. With Casey being able to double at TE and FB I would think we'd be able to use the extra roster spot to have someone else active on Game Day. Last year OD, Dreesen, Casey, and Vickers were all active when they were healthy. Now, OD, Casey, and Norris will be active. I saw where Graham was active for 7 games last year. We could definitely have Graham active most game days so we have 3 Tight Ends or we can roll the dice, go with 2 TEs and carry an extra DB when we play someone like Green Bay or NE. I'm sure it will vary on who we play, but I like the flexibility it gives us. Thats the one Big time plus that having a guy like Casey around provides.

Last edited by Texn4life; 06-15-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Why not? I know he's moved around a lot, but I thought he played well when he was a Texan before, albeit 6 or 7 years ago. Also, he won't cost that much and he'll be motivated playing in his hometown again..

We'll see.
He did play very well in his last stint with the Texans , I know many were sad to see him go .... Good signing IMO. Foster has to be happy ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Was Moran Norris around when we had Ron Dayne and Darius Walker running for us? I do know he was around to even help Jonathan Wells get a few 100 yard games.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Happy to see him back! Feeling a little more positive about our O. I've been a HUGE James Casey fan from the get-go, might be because I LOVE TE's, and wasn't real happy when he got moved to FB last year. He just seems to be a NATURAL at the TE position. Stephs analysis pretty much mimics my own also. Let's just hope Moran and James stays healthy and Butler and Caldwell (or whoever) do their part. Arian is our weapon, just make a big enough hole for him and watch that boy have a 2000 yd season!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read