Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2012   #161
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith given extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
That's my feelings as well. I'm sure we can get worse head coaches, because we already have. But there are much better head coaches out there. I have faith this team will be a good one with BOTH Kubiak and Wade calling the shots. I don't really want Wade as head coach, because he hasn't proven himself there anymore that Kubiak has. But togeather, they are very good. Take someone out of the picture, and it begins to fall apart.
I certainly do not disagree with your takes here, but just wanted to mention that the better head coaches out there are locked up with other teams.

So what we have to choose from are either untested coordinators or HC retreads that nobody wants around here.

If it's either Kubiak or the available choices, I'll take Kubiak and go with what we know and hope for some consistent continuity from last season.

(And before Cowher's name comes up, I do not think he wants to get back into coaching given the fact that he has turned down every interview offer from a variety of teams.)
Old 06-15-2012   #162
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I certainly do not disagree with your takes here, but just wanted to mention that the better head coaches out there are locked up with other teams.

So what we have to choose from are either untested coordinators or HC retreads that nobody wants around here.

If it's either Kubiak or the available choices, I'll take Kubiak and go with what we know and hope for some consistent continuity from last season.

(And before Cowher's name comes up, I do not think he wants to get back into coaching given the fact that he has turned down every interview offer from a variety of teams.)
I'm for keeping Gary.

But better HC's include

Cowher
Gruden
Billick

HC's that have accomplished 10 win seasons in the last 3 yrs that have been fired

Fisher
Haley
Morris
Wade
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #163
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary and Rick can thank Wade Phillips for helping to keep their jobs and now for this extension. Good lord, what a joke. One winning season out of six?? (THe Pats laid down for the Texans so I hardly count that 9-7 season that was the worst coaching season from Kubiak in his entire tenure here.) Not surprised though. 47-49 equals winning in Bob's world as long as he is selling tickets in one of the best football markets in the country. Bob should have waited for at least one more winning season out of Smithiak before extending these guys.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #164
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Gary and Rick can thank Wade Phillips for helping to keep their jobs and now for this extension. Good lord, what a joke. One winning season out of six?? (THe Pats laid down for the Texans so I hardly count that 9-7 season that was the worst coaching season from Kubiak in his entire tenure here.) Not surprised though. 47-49 equals winning in Bob's world as long as he is selling tickets in one of the best football markets in the country. Bob should have waited for at least one more winning season out of Smithiak before extending these guys.
Damn Tex, you're getting slow!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #165
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Damn Tex, you're getting slow!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #166
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Hang in there man, they're getting it. Granted it's taken a while but I think McNair's patience paid off and I thought it would.

Smith's put some good drafts together, with input of coarse. Kubiak seems like a different coach to me this year. Some have sensed this as well while others say not so much. Guess we'll see what happens in camp.

I guess I just wanna be excited about this season. Go Texans!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #167
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Hang in there man, they're getting it. Granted it's taken a while but I think McNair's patience paid off and I thought it would.
How close are the Browns?

That's really the only team the Texans can be compared to, considering the rules they came in with & the competition already established.

Our first ten years vs theirs, which would you rather have? At least it looks like we've built something of substance in that time. They're rebuilding again & if the wipe the slate clean at the end of this season, they still have zip to build on & they had a 4 year head-start.
Old 06-15-2012   #168
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How close are the Browns?

That's really the only team the Texans can be compared to, considering the rules they came in with & the competition already established.

Our first ten years vs theirs, which would you rather have? At least it looks like we've built something of substance in that time. They're rebuilding again & if the wipe the slate clean at the end of this season, they still have zip to build on & they had a 4 year head-start.
I know what you are saying...really I do, but it just strikes me as funny that after all this ...what we can say is.... "At least we are better than the Browns"... Wow! That right there is high praise I'll tell ya... LOL
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #169
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: extension?

Why are people acting like Kubiak's extension is apart of the salary cap or is even worrisome if he doesn't perform? Nobody cares about how much or how long coaches are paid for because as soon as they don't perform they can be out on their butts with no monetary ramifications to the salary cap.

Whether Bob does this or not is something else, but Bob McNair's unhealthy obsession with Kubiak is certainly not as high on the list of things I am concerned about the Texas as WR depth, or the right side of the O-line.
Old 06-16-2012   #170
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Why are people acting like Kubiak's extension is apart of the salary cap or is even worrisome if he doesn't perform? Nobody cares about how much or how long coaches are paid for because as soon as they don't perform they can be out on their butts with no monetary ramifications to the salary cap.

Whether Bob does this or not is something else, but Bob McNair's unhealthy obsession with Kubiak is certainly not as high on the list of things I am concerned about the Texas as WR depth, or the right side of the O-line.
The right side of the OL will be OK.

The WR corps is a reason for worry. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
I know what you are saying...really I do, but it just strikes me as funny that after all this ...what we can say is.... "At least we are better than the Browns"... Wow! That right there is high praise I'll tell ya... LOL
Gotta start somewhere. If we had a similar talent pool that the Jags & Panthers had when they came into the league, then it would have been feasible to compete with the best teams early.

But we didn't. & while I'm no Kubiak fan some people are blaming him for the first 4 years.
Old 06-16-2012   #172
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem with Gary getting an extension.. offense wasn't a problem it was Gary wanting Frank Bush and Richard Smith on the defensive side. I know that was who Gary thought that would get the job done, but we know how that turned out...
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #173
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I have no problem with Gary getting an extension.. offense wasn't a problem it was Gary wanting Frank Bush and Richard Smith on the defensive side. I know that was who Gary thought that would get the job done, but we know how that turned out...
Man, I wanted Bush too. Really liked his attitude and the way he played. Was I ever mistaken -- dude couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #174
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Man, I wanted Bush too. Really liked his attitude and the way he played. Was I ever mistaken -- dude couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
So how do you explain 2009?
Old 06-17-2012   #175
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else see this:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/6/...ch-gary-kubiak

Quote:
For those who like making comparisons, Bill Belichick had a 41-55 record at this point in his career while also going 1-1 in the playoffs. In his seventh coaching season, Belichick led New England to a Super Bowl championship. I’m not saying, but I’m just saying
Must mean Schaub goes down week 6 and TJ leads us to 3 Superbowls.

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #176
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Anyone else see this:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/6/...ch-gary-kubiak

Must mean Schaub goes down week 6 and TJ leads us to 3 Superbowls.

Thanks for making my fathers day dude! Now nobody burst my bubble for the rest of the day. NO Debbie downers!!!!!!
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read