Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2012   #81
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Really??????? At 49 years old that's the best you can come up with???

He'll extend him because that will show franchise stability to players, coaches, free agents as well as player agents. Besides money the #1 thing player agents look at is to find a place your player fits the system in and have longer term stability for growth. It just makes perfect sense to extend him and it most likely will be for a minimum of 2 years.
I absolutely hate this argument and it came up last time Kubiak was up for an extension. There is nothing wrong with Kubiak coaching the last year of his contract without an extension. Players might worry about coming to Houston or resigning here if it was the end of Kubiaks 1st contract and he had only been here a few years. Let him coach into the season and see how it goes. Kubiak still has a losing record as a head coach and the argument can be made that Wade Philips is the only reason the Texans made the playoffs even in an aweful AFC south division.

The Eagles let Andy Reid coach his final contract year without an extension and it seems to have worked out just fine for him. Quit the coddling of this man and let him earn the extension. His current record as a head coach is 47-49 and 1-1 in the playoffs. That is mediocre. Most fans of the Texans only want Kubiak as long as he is tied to Wade. Well Wade could bail after the season like he almost did this year and then what. What is wrong with a wait and see approach?

I've linked a couple of articles about giving or not to give Kubiak an extension.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...houston-texans

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...%80%99s-money/
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #82
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I absolutely hate this argument and it came up last time Kubiak was up for an extension. There is nothing wrong with Kubiak coaching the last year of his contract without an extension. Players might worry about coming to Houston or resigning here if it was the end of Kubiaks 1st contract and he had only been here a few years. Let him coach into the season and see how it goes. Kubiak still has a losing record as a head coach and the argument can be made that Wade Philips is the only reason the Texans made the playoffs even in an aweful AFC south division.

The Eagles let Andy Reid coach his final contract year without an extension and it seems to have worked out just fine for him. Quit the coddling of this man and let him earn the extension. His current record as a head coach is 47-49 and 1-1 in the playoffs. That is mediocre. Most fans of the Texans only want Kubiak as long as he is tied to Wade. Well Wade could bail after the season like he almost did this year and then what. What is wrong with a wait and see approach?

I've linked a couple of articles about giving or not to give Kubiak an extension.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...houston-texans

You do stand the risk of Gary going elsewhere & you might be okay with that not everyone is. I don't think we can get a better quality coach for same Gary is making. Of course there is Wade Phillips.
Old 05-09-2012   #83
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You do stand the risk of Gary going elsewhere & you might be okay with that not everyone is. I don't think we can get a better quality coach for same Gary is making. Of course there is Wade Phillips.
There is no fear of Kubiak leaving. He's making 5 million a year right now and nobody is going to outbid us for him. He loves Bob and Rick, and I don't think he would trade them for any team out there besides maybe the Broncos.

If he gets an extension, it will be a reward for the teams success in 2011. Although, I hope they don't give it to him until midway through the season.
Old 05-09-2012   #84
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Oakland as a landing spot?
Old 05-09-2012   #85
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What about Oakland as a landing spot?
You think he would prefer Carson Palmer and Lienart over Schaub and Yates? I think Oakland would have to offer him top dollar, 7+ a year, to entice him to leave Houston. Kubes is about the 10-15th highest paid coach in the league, so it would take a lot to make him leave.
Old 05-09-2012   #86
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You think he would prefer Carson Palmer and Lienart over Schaub and Yates? I think Oakland would have to offer him top dollar, 7+ a year, to entice him to leave Houston. Kubes is about the 10-15th highest paid coach in the league, so it would take a lot to make him leave.
Not predicting just saying, Oakland needs to get back into the game. Daddy rabbit's gone & team needs to spend money & make splash getting attention of a positive nature. Maybe Tyler Wilson from Arkansas and $8m per year? I think Palmer could be traded mid season for a vet to fill another Raider need.
Old 05-10-2012   #87
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Why on Earth would Kubiak leave? He's one of only 32 men on the planet that has a head coaching job in the NFL. In his home town yet. He's not going anywhere unless he forced out.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2012   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

Here is a link from Jeremy Solomon onletting Kubiak go. Quick scanned forum but did not see it posted. From May 8th:

McNair’s challenge is to keep the extensions at a manageable length so that he won’t hesitate to pull the trigger if the time does come that he has to make a move.

What? Are you talking about firing the head coach or general manager after the team just had its best season and made the playoffs for the first time, King?

Well, yeah.

What would you do if the Texans go 8-8 or 6-10 and don’t make the playoffs this season? Well, I know what I would do. I also know what McNair will be reluctant to do after he signs them to huge three- or four-year-extensions

See link above for full article
Old 05-11-2012   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Quote:
JeromeWhat? Are you talking about firing the head coach or general manager after the team just had its best season and made the playoffs for the first time, King?

Well, yeah.

What would you do if the Texans go 8-8 or 6-10 and don’t make the playoffs this season? Well, I know what I would do. I also know what McNair will be reluctant to do after he signs them to huge three- or four-year-extensions
Both the Jets & the Bears were in the NFC championship game, in 2010, both were 8-8 in 2011. Is that because the coaches suck? Or because the teams were dealing with other issues?

& the Bears especially should have known better, seeing how Lovie went 7-9 the year following their Super Bowl appearance.
Old 05-12-2012   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Both the Jets & the Bears were in the NFC championship game, in 2010, both were 8-8 in 2011. Is that because the coaches suck? Or because the teams were dealing with other issues?

& the Bears especially should have known better, seeing how Lovie went 7-9 the year following their Super Bowl appearance.
Interesting that Jets turned down offer to be on the hard knocks program.
Old 05-14-2012   #91
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? Please name one team that would likely go after Kubiak that isn't Denver? ANd give me a legit source for this reasoning or something substantial to suggest that Kubiak could leave, because he is some sort of commodity out there. There has never been any strong interest in Kubiak as a HC anywhere else since he came here other than in Denver for obvious reasons. And Denver wouldn't even hire him right now, as they seem pretty happy with who they got.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #92
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Really? Please name one team that would likely go after Kubiak that isn't Denver? ANd give me a legit source for this reasoning or something substantial to suggest that Kubiak could leave, because he is some sort of commodity out there. There has never been any strong interest in Kubiak as a HC anywhere else since he came here other than in Denver for obvious reasons. And Denver wouldn't even hire him right now, as they seem pretty happy with who they got.
Oakland?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't know. Looking at what we've got in Houston right now, I'd be interested if I were one of the handful of teams that have been on the coaching carousel for years now with nothing to show for it.

Granted, 1 good season does not an organization make, but looking at the Texans, I see a core that should help the team towards many good seasons to come. So if I'm Miami, Cleveland, Oakland, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St Louis, & Buffalo.... if I've got nothing to show at the end of the season, Kubiak may look pretty tempting.

Of course, this is from my perspective. I have no idea what any of those teams are thinking. But asking me to prove there is interest would be like asking you to prove there isn't.

Dom Capers got a second chance. So did Chan Gailey & countless other HCs... many who shouldn't have.
Old 05-14-2012   #94
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know. Looking at what we've got in Houston right now, I'd be interested if I were one of the handful of teams that have been on the coaching carousel for years now with nothing to show for it.

Granted, 1 good season does not an organization make, but looking at the Texans, I see a core that should help the team towards many good seasons to come. So if I'm Miami, Cleveland, Oakland, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St Louis, & Buffalo.... if I've got nothing to show at the end of the season, Kubiak may look pretty tempting.

Of course, this is from my perspective. I have no idea what any of those teams are thinking. But asking me to prove there is interest would be like asking you to prove there isn't.

Dom Capers got a second chance. So did Chan Gailey & countless other HCs... many who shouldn't have.
A different perspective and a legitimate one as well. We all know that McNair is all about not rocking the boat. I think we'll see his perseverance pay off in the long haul, which is what the man is looking for.

Guess we'll find out how steadfast he is willing to be in his approach when we find out what Kube's and Rick Smith's extensions turn out to be.

We should find out shortly.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #95
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'd prefer NOT to extend yet, in order to keep those fires burning under Kubiak.

, but extending him now might send the wrong message.
Just want to address these two statements ....

Gary is one of the hardest working guy's around .... He kinda reminds me of Jeff Van Grumpy. Attention to detail and work ethic are things we need not concern ourselves with when it comes to Gary .... Its just the way he's wired. He's a workaholic .... no other way to describe the man.

He might make some mistakes or poor decisions but .... those fires will be burning until the lights go out.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #96
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Miami or Oakland or how about Colts? Pagano a defensive coach will do nothing for Luck and Arians got run off from Pittsburgh. If I had a team that needed to make a decent turn around especially if I had a QB that needed guidance, Kubiak would be high on my list.

You want a source for my opinion? lol
Old 05-14-2012   #97
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? Please name one team that would likely go after Kubiak that isn't Denver?
Kubiak was a hot name for job openings for years prior to working with the Texans. You might also remember he was pretty selective for whom he intrerviewed.Its misguided to ask what team would hire him now. Its freaking may and all head coaching vacancies are filled.

Sure there are doubts about him as a head coach but few for him as one of the best offensive minds in the game. Thats a rare commodity. You want a list of teams who'd have an interest in him? Check every team with a poor offense.

I wont argue any other team starts a head coach bidding war if we dont extend him, but i will say within a week of being fired he'd hear from a dozen teams trying to hire him in one capacity or another.
Old 05-14-2012   #98
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Would other teams be interested in Gary ? Sure they would ....

But here it is in a nutshell ..... Gary's coaching an NFL team one of only 32 men on the planet with such a job .... Doing it in his hometown is icing on the cake. Name another NFL coach who leads his hometown team ?

He aint leaving till they make him leave.

My best VY impersonation: "Dream Job"

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #99
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Would other teams be interested in Gary ? Sure they would ....

But here it is in a nutshell ..... Gary's coaching an NFL team one of only 32 men on the planet with such a job .... Doing it in his hometown is icing on the cake. Name another NFL coach who leads his hometown team?
The point is he has more value then some people seem willing to believe. When you talk about icing dont forget he surely played a strong role in picking his own Gm.
Old 05-15-2012   #100
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rick/Gary trumpet the 9-7 season, Gary misses the combine for an elective surgery, Rick/Gary select KJ in the draft the Texans finish 6-10. Gary needs to remain on the hot seat.

BoB orderes Wade to be hired, the team has a great defensive draft, the defense goes from historically bad to top 5.

Wade was the main reason for the great draft and the improvement of the Texans. That and the fact that the Divisions starting QB's were Painter/Orlovsky, Gabbert, Elderly Hasslebeck/Locker.
objective as always

not to go back over old ground but where was wade in 09? you know when we picked cushing, barwin, quin, brice mccain (and even troy nolan)? thats a great defensive draft with both impact players and important role players

-2011 draft to date is a beast first rounder, a promising (but to date only decent play-wise) olb and...... oh ya thats it so far

also look at the options available at #20 in 2010 (which looks like a poor draft overall tbh) v the options available at #11 in 2011 where nearly all the top rookies have had awesome first years whereas you'll struggle to find an impact player in the first round after the top 15
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read