Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2012   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I realize everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm beginning to think that Kubiak is damaged goods around here. They could go on to win 5 Super Bowls in a row, and the prevailing thought would be that won them in spite of him.

If I didn't know any better, I swear from all the negativity and cynicism that I'm reading, we finished the season with a 4-12 record.

I mean, this guy deserves not one lick of credit whatsoever? Really?

Like I said earlier, I just don't understand it.
47-49

And wake me up when he wins 5 SB's, and then you can write a post like this. Until than the facts are that Smithiak hasn't even been average, but carry on with the exaggeration and hyperbole that is way over the top as usual Marcus.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #62
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak doesnt have the season or the draft he had last year without Wade. Wade was a difference maker.

But how the locker room stayed together with all the adversity they had was pretty impressive. I put that on a mixture of things, but Kubes did help keep the team together somehow.

If I were to award him with an extension, I would make sure to lock down Wade too. Get him a 20 year old intern or something for the next 5 years. They are a good pair.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #63
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I give Kubiak a lot of credit for keeping us on track with guys dropping like flies left and right. I still don't like him as a head coach, but I wish him continued success.
Old 05-07-2012   #64
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If Gary and Wade win the Superbowl then fans might wonder what his record would be by now if not for Smith and Bush who are not a good DC but he wanted both of them.
Old 05-08-2012   #65
Dash
Rookie

Rep Power: 117 Dash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Contracts in this league don't mean much of anything. People act like we're stuck with the guys if they have contracts with us. If they don't perform up to their contracts, I have no doubt McNair will ditch them.

But you talk about all the talent this team has... where did that come from? The fact that we've grown and developed to a point where we're so talented that we're expected to make the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and at least threaten to go to a SB means something went right. And that's when you extend someone's contract.

The whole thing may come crashing down. And if that happens, they'll get fired.
Likely because a 2nd successful season, one that could potentially lead us to a Super Bowl run, is going to raise the stock of Gary Kubiak significantly especially as a free agent. In this scenario McNair probably wants to lock him up on a "bargain" price. If its a 2 year extension then I can live with it.
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #66
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
If I were to award him with an extension, I would make sure to lock down Wade too.
Can't really "lock down" Wade. If he gets a head coaching offer, he's gone. Doubt that happens though.
Quote:
Did he deserve "credit" for the 6-10 season? One playoff season in six is a poor record. Two in seven will look much better.

Quote:
And that's when you extend someone's contract.
Contract's get extended just before they're about to expire. If Kubiak still had 2 years left, there wouldn't be talk of an extension. McNair's not going to allow Kubiak to coach on a lame duck contract. This extension is more about timing than success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
If its a 2 year extension then I can live with it.
Right. It will likely be a contract that runs through 2014.
Old 05-08-2012   #67
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans had a good year last year, and will again this year because of Wade's defense. Without Wade coming in, the Texans likly would not have had that great of a year last year and Kubiak would be gone by now. Wade is saving the entire organization right now, from top to bottom. When he leaves, and if someone left behind can't take over his defense, then we're right back where we started with Kubiak. Which is extreme Mediocresville.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2012   #68
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Contracts in this league don't mean much of anything. People act like we're stuck with the guys if they have contracts with us. If they don't perform up to their contracts, I have no doubt McNair will ditch them.

But you talk about all the talent this team has... where did that come from? The fact that we've grown and developed to a point where we're so talented that we're expected to make the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and at least threaten to go to a SB means something went right. And that's when you extend someone's contract.

Undoubtedly it was Smithiak that put that talent there, but really, how much better was the talent available last year than the previous 2 or 3 years? We added maybe 4 key starters but lost quite a few through injury.

They didn't make the playoffs in any of those seasons, despite being picked to by the media before the season started.

I give them plenty of credit for their part in the success they've had, its just I want sustained success from my team, not every other year or when the stars align or whatever, and they haven't always got the most out of the talent they've had.

On the side about not being stuck with them just because they're contracted, well I'm not too sure I agree there, would McNair fire these guys next season if he had to pay them 2 years wages as well as whoever he brought in?

I'm not exactly upset about an extension, just a little apprehensive, seems when they're on the hotseat they perform and when they've got a shiny new extension they start planning for the season when they are on the hotseat rather than being in win-now mode all the time.

I hope this post looks really silly in a years time though.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #69
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 60461 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
47-49? Any discussion of an extension is out of line and ridiculous.

44-61 (first 7 years)

This coach should never have been extended either.

Old 05-08-2012   #70
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Kubiak doesnt have the season or the draft he had last year without Wade. Wade was a difference maker.

But how the locker room stayed together with all the adversity they had was pretty impressive. I put that on a mixture of things, but Kubes did help keep the team together somehow.

If I were to award him with an extension, I would make sure to lock down Wade too. Get him a 20 year old intern or something for the next 5 years. They are a good pair.
I don't think that's a good idea, he is an old man and his heart might give out.

Old 05-08-2012   #71
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The fact that we've grown and developed to a point where we're so talented that we're expected to make the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and at least threaten to go to a SB means something went right. And that's when you extend someone's contract.

So, what if we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs with a couple of key injuries, or the changes to the O-line don't gel? I see McNair staying the course if it isn't abject failure. I'd prefer NOT to extend yet, in order to keep those fires burning under Kubiak.

Quote:
I realize everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm beginning to think that Kubiak is damaged goods around here. They could go on to win 5 Super Bowls in a row, and the prevailing thought would be that won them in spite of him.

If I didn't know any better, I swear from all the negativity and cynicism that I'm reading, we finished the season with a 4-12 record.

As previously stated, his overall record isn't that good. He wanted those lousy DCs we had prior to Wade. We've made the playoffs exactly ONCE. I gove Kubiak as much credit for holding it all together last year as I give him for his lousy record. In totality, he's not that good...YET. I'm willing to give him another couple of years to see if he can make it happen again, but extending him now might send the wrong message.
Old 05-08-2012   #72
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

It just makes me ask if Bob said go get Wade.
Old 05-08-2012   #73
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
It just makes me ask if Bob said go get Wade.
I think that 'he did' is pretty much the consensus opinion.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #74
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
So, what if we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs with a couple of key injuries, or the changes to the O-line don't gel? I see McNair staying the course if it isn't abject failure. I'd prefer NOT to extend yet, in order to keep those fires burning under Kubiak.

As previously stated, his overall record isn't that good. He wanted those lousy DCs we had prior to Wade. We've made the playoffs exactly ONCE. I gove Kubiak as much credit for holding it all together last year as I give him for his lousy record. In totality, he's not that good...YET. I'm willing to give him another couple of years to see if he can make it happen again, but extending him now might send the wrong message.
i don't think kubes is the type of person one needs an impending firing or contract to keep him motivated.

and it might be the right message, it takes years to build a Super Bowl team and even more so when its an expansion team.
Continuity is key and i think McNair is doing the right thing.
just my 2cents
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i don't think kubes is the type of person one needs an impending firing or contract to keep him motivated.

and it might be the right message, it takes years to build a Super Bowl team and even more so when its an expansion team.
Continuity is key and i think McNair is doing the right thing.
just my 2cents
Rick/Gary trumpet the 9-7 season, Gary misses the combine for an elective surgery, Rick/Gary select KJ in the draft the Texans finish 6-10. Gary needs to remain on the hot seat.

BoB orderes Wade to be hired, the team has a great defensive draft, the defense goes from historically bad to top 5.

Wade was the main reason for the great draft and the improvement of the Texans. That and the fact that the Divisions starting QB's were Painter/Orlovsky, Gabbert, Elderly Hasslebeck/Locker.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #76
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad to hear that McNair is taking care of Kubes and Smith. I also hope that when the time comes, McNair takes care of Wade too. Combined the trio make a fine front office and coaching staff. One guy can't do it all.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I'm glad to hear that McNair is taking care of Kubes and Smith. I also hope that when the time comes, McNair takes care of Wade too. Combined the trio make a fine front office and coaching staff. One guy can't do it all.
Bob is a smart business man who has to realize he has no "next man up" behind Wade. We saw what we saw when Phillips was out late season.
Old 05-08-2012   #78
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Bob is a smart business man who has to realize he has no "next man up" behind Wade. We saw what we saw when Phillips was out late season.
Yeah.

If Wade's not the highest paid coordinator, he needs to be made the highest paid coordinator. I know he wants to be a head coach somewhere but I want to keep him here as our DC.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

What Bob's expectations are, are a complete mystery to most of us, so let's not go down that road.
Quote:
Why is McNair's perspective on the team "mysterious"??

I've read that a couple of times on this thread, and I don't understand that. He said he wants to build the team like the Steelers, so ...... what's this "mysterious" bit?
I said expectations... not perspective. I don't think anyone's said anything about his perspective.

Quote:

I agree some of the rhetoric we share when discussing Kubiak goes a little far. But it's pretty much the same for all our players, Jacoby... ?? Kareem?

But it's not like it's all one sided, the man has his critics & his fans, those that think he can do no wrong.
Old 05-08-2012   #80
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The Texans had a good year last year, and will again this year because of Wade's defense. Without Wade coming in, the Texans likly would not have had that great of a year last year and Kubiak would be gone by now. Wade is saving the entire organization right now, from top to bottom. When he leaves, and if someone left behind can't take over his defense, then we're right back where we started with Kubiak. Which is extreme Mediocresville.

Thorn- yep! I agree! Without Wade & his D, Kubes ass is canned!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read