Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-20-2012   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Kubiak: extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Through what I perceive as McNair's perspective, Kubiak has earned an extension with an AFCS title and playoff win at Reliant.

I've got no problem with it. Not my money. Just keep winning!
But there was no parade in H-Town.

You should expect more, like me, the Uberfan.

JiC
Old 02-20-2012   #42
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
But there was no parade in H-Town.

You should expect more, like me, the Uberfan.

JiC
Like I said, "Through what I perceive as McNair's perspective...".

My perspective is let him coach a lame duck season and see how it plays out. He's a big boy, he can handle it.

But McNair's M.O. is likely to give him an extension before the 2012 season.
Old 02-20-2012   #43
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Like I said, "Through what I perceive as McNair's perspective...".

My perspective is let him coach a lame duck season and see how it plays out. He's a big boy, he can handle it.

But McNair's M.O. is likely to give him an extension before the 2012 season.
I'd be fine with this as well. Does anyone know how coaches salaries fare in to the salary cap, if at all? That would really solidify my stance on letting him coach on a lame duck contract. We'd need that money to sign key FA's.
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I'd be fine with this as well. Does anyone know how coaches salaries fare in to the salary cap, if at all? That would really solidify my stance on letting him coach on a lame duck contract. We'd need that money to sign key FA's.
Coaches salaries are not counted at all to the cap.

However, the longer the contract, the longer McNair actually has to pay him if he was released prematurely. Depending on contract details of course.
Old 02-20-2012   #45
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
He's already the highest paid D co isn't he? Not 100% sure on that but seem to remember reading it.

For me, I don't want Bob to extend Kubes this season, give him the pressure to succeed again next season and don't set yourself up for a fall.

That said, I think he probably will get extended, and I won't be that upset if he does, but if next season is a big step back, it'll be a huge disappointment to me.
I have read that as well, but I don't believe it. He makes 700k a year according to Kuharsky:

Quote:
A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

From a 2005 article:

Quote:
Top agents estimate about 15 coordinators will earn $1 million or more this season. In 2001, according to a survey by the NFL Coaches Association (NFLCA), the average pay for coordinators was less than $350,000.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...fl-notes_x.htm

I can't find public numbers for coordinators, but I have a hard time believing that every DC and OC around the league is making under 700k, when head coaches are making anywhere from 2-8 million a year. Their salaries don't count against the salary cap, so it shouldn't be difficult to pay great coordinators 1-2 million a year to make them happy and prevent them from getting poached. It's really quite a small amount when you consider most teams spent 110-120 million on their players last year. Plus, the Texans merchandise sales rocketed upwards last year, I'm sure they could afford giving Wade 1 mill a year over the next 3 years.
Old 02-20-2012   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Back in the day, Gregg Williams got $7.8M for 3 years. I'm trying to find numbers on his Saints' contract... Wade was hired when Williams was with the Saints & it was reported then, that Wade was the highest paid DC at that time.
Old 02-20-2012   #47
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would sign him to a better deal. Our offense has always been great, it was always the defense with him. Now our defense is great and we have a great DC, no reason NOT to sign him to a better deal.
Old 02-20-2012   #48
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I wish I could get in McNair's mind. I hope the Texans success has raised the bar, meaning no more mediocre crap from this particular coach.
McNair has said, on more than one occasion, that he wants an organization/team like the Steelers. What that means is stability with the coaches and players. Build a winning team through the draft. Don't sign too many FA's unless they're your own. Hire good coaches and keep them if possible. Not saying that he has made all the right moves but I think that's what he wants to do. Remember, McNair didn't have an NFL background when he got the team. He's learned on the job, just like Kubes.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wouldn't free agents want to know the long term situation of a coach they were to play for? I would have thought an announcement on a new contract would be very soon.
And it could be announced soon. As DocBar suggested, I think the Texas will re-sign their own free agents prior to the beginning of the free agency period (as they are allowed). I don't think Kubiak wants the players to have the perception that he's getting his money first. Though, one really has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
What is wrong with producing another winning season to get an extension?
I don't have a problem with that. I just know that McNair would. And to be honest, Kubiak doesn't come across as a guy who thrive in a pressure situation such as coaching for a contract. To me, it's a foregone conclusion that he's extended.
Old 02-20-2012   #50
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Shouldn't the more proper question be?

Wade: extension??

You guys got the wrong coach.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I have read that as well, but I don't believe it. He makes 700k a year according to Kuharsky:
Seen that link before and I think Kuharsky misspoke and it was a deal which averaged $2.1 mil over 3 years. I can see someone turning down a $3 millish job for $2.1, not for $700k. Plus the other reported factors of highest paid DC, etc.
Old 02-21-2012   #52
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seen that link before and I think Kuharsky misspoke and it was a deal which averaged $2.1 mil over 3 years. I can see someone turning down a $3 millish job for $2.1, not for $700k. Plus the other reported factors of highest paid DC, etc.
The last time this came up I hunted several things down and it was obvious that it was miswritten by Kuharsky, but for some reason has been repeated by several sites/authors. One of those included someone who listed $700,000 Wade as highest paid coordinator and the later said the average coordinator made over $800,000.
Old 05-07-2012   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob McNair plans to give contract extensions to Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith

Texans chairman and CEO Bob McNair said Tuesday that he plans to start working on contract extensions for head coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith, whose contracts expire after the 2012 season.

McNair said he does not have a timetable for completing the extensions. He will likely meet with Kubiak first and Smith second.

“We’ll start working on that,” McNair said at the Texans’ 10th annual Charity Golf Classic. “I think they’ve done an outstanding job. I’m pleased with ‘em, and if that wasn’t the case, we wouldn’t be extending ‘em.”

Kubiak and Smith have both been with the Texans since 2006. Kubiak signed a two-year extension after the 2010 season. Smith signed a four-year extension in 2008.

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #54
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Really, atleast your thinking outside the box.

What's Garys record?

What's Gary's record without Wade?

Does he really deserve an extention based on his W/L record?

Like I said before if BoB's proven one thing he wont buy out a HC with yrs remaining on his contract. Regardless of what the paying customers want. For this reason I would wait and make Gary prove himself again next yr.

Of course I would have fired Gary after the 2009 season. BoB didn't because he had just given Gary a contract extention.
Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

Your kidding yourself if you dont think FA is about mostly $$$$. Why do you think the Texans defense improved last yr? BoB finally stepped up and gave Manning and Joseph the best deals they could find on the market. Your kidding yourself if you think that continuity/stability and all of that other crap that you're spewing mattered. 2 things matter to FA's 1. $$$$ 2. Winning. Luclily for the Texans Wade decided to sign/stay with the Texans so that helps mask Garys gameday gaffes. As long as Wade stay the Texans will have a winning org and Houston will become a desireable place for FA's to play.

If Wade leaves I full expect Gary to return to the same old Gary. Gary has learned on the Job. But my qeustion to you is why did it take him 6 yrs to learn and why did he suddenly become some great mind/HC after Wade joined the staff? Does Gary have a learning disability? 6 yrs really?
This! But as you also said, gary will get the extension, then we will be stuck with him win or lose for eternity....
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be nice if McNair could just keep adding one year in a roll over. IIRC, there was a famous college coach that was extended that way. Hard to find one to agree when they can go easily other teams with good pay.
Old 05-07-2012   #56
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is McNair's perspective on the team "mysterious"??

I've read that a couple of times on this thread, and I don't understand that. He said he wants to build the team like the Steelers, so ...... what's this "mysterious" bit?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #57
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As confident I am going into next season, I really don't like the idea of McNair giving Smithiak another 2 years (making them contracted for the next 3).

A deep playoff run next season is expected, the talent they have, the coaching they have on D, it makes it a minimum, so why sign them up again before they've achieved it?

Also, we can't be 100% sure how well they've handled the cap just yet, I'm sure McNair has a better idea from his position, but if they fail on the field this season, and it turns out that all our top talent is going to walk over the next year or two due to poor cap management, hows that extension going to look then?

On the other hand am I right in thinking being a coach in the last year of your contract in the NFL kind of puts you in a weak position in the locker room?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #58
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
As confident I am going into next season, I really don't like the idea of McNair giving Smithiak another 2 years (making them contracted for the next 3).

A deep playoff run next season is expected, the talent they have, the coaching they have on D, it makes it a minimum, so why sign them up again before they've achieved it?

Also, we can't be 100% sure how well they've handled the cap just yet, I'm sure McNair has a better idea from his position, but if they fail on the field this season, and it turns out that all our top talent is going to walk over the next year or two due to poor cap management, hows that extension going to look then?

On the other hand am I right in thinking being a coach in the last year of your contract in the NFL kind of puts you in a weak position in the locker room?
Contracts in this league don't mean much of anything. People act like we're stuck with the guys if they have contracts with us. If they don't perform up to their contracts, I have no doubt McNair will ditch them.

But you talk about all the talent this team has... where did that come from? The fact that we've grown and developed to a point where we're so talented that we're expected to make the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and at least threaten to go to a SB means something went right. And that's when you extend someone's contract.

The whole thing may come crashing down. And if that happens, they'll get fired.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #59
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I understand this is just a formality & doesn't really mean that much. If McNair extends Kubiak for one year, through the 2013 season, he's still toast if he drastically under performs Bob's expectations.

What Bob's expectations are, are a complete mystery to most of us, so let's not go down that road.

The length of the extension is the only thing that means anything to anybody. The longer the extension, the greater Bob's exposure.

I personally don't believe Kubiak has earned anything more than a year. But we'll see how close Kubiak got to McNair's expectations soon enough.

I think Kubiak is probably the best locker room coach in the league short of The Hoody or Coughlin.... but he leaves a lot to be desired on the sideline. I think he is improving & I would have been perfectly fine with a real extension had he handled the Baltimore game the way he handled every game since Carolina..... cautious, safe, taking calculated Risks.... but Baltimore in the divisional round he was too cavalier for me, & I don't understand why.
You must not remember the sideline walking dead we had in Capers. Atleast Kubiak will scream and show some emotion, see him up in a refs face a few times.
Old 05-07-2012   #60
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I realize everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm beginning to think that Kubiak is damaged goods around here. They could go on to win 5 Super Bowls in a row, and the prevailing thought would be that won them in spite of him.

If I didn't know any better, I swear from all the negativity and cynicism that I'm reading, we finished the season with a 4-12 record.

I mean, this guy deserves not one lick of credit whatsoever? Really?

Like I said earlier, I just don't understand it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read