Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith given extensions

Emotions have cooled & it has been 2 weeks since last post (I could find). We had a great run despite major injuries especially to our offense. Like him or not, do you think Gary gets an extension before next season? I say yes & probably more than one year. This should also help in keeping, Myers & Briesel and later Schaub. Your thoughts?
Old 02-18-2012   #2
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9534 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: extension?

As long as Wade Phillps is our defensive coordinator then Gary Kubiak will be the head coach for a long time. He's done a great job with the offense over the years. This is a Kubiak and Wade relationship: Which is going to result in great things for the Texans.
Old 02-19-2012   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak will get an extension this offseason. They may be waiting until free agency is over, as not to distract from that process. But, there's not a chance in hell McNair lets Kubiak coach on a lame duck contract.
Old 02-19-2012   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't get rid of him now....period. Having said that our head coach is a weak link on this team.
Old 02-19-2012   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Emotions have cooled & it has been 2 weeks since last post (I could find). We had a great run despite major injuries especially to our offense. Like him or not, do you think Gary gets an extension before next season? I say yes & probably more than one year. This should also help in keeping, Myers & Briesel and later Schaub. Your thoughts?
I understand this is just a formality & doesn't really mean that much. If McNair extends Kubiak for one year, through the 2013 season, he's still toast if he drastically under performs Bob's expectations.

What Bob's expectations are, are a complete mystery to most of us, so let's not go down that road.

The length of the extension is the only thing that means anything to anybody. The longer the extension, the greater Bob's exposure.

I personally don't believe Kubiak has earned anything more than a year. But we'll see how close Kubiak got to McNair's expectations soon enough.

I think Kubiak is probably the best locker room coach in the league short of The Hoody or Coughlin.... but he leaves a lot to be desired on the sideline. I think he is improving & I would have been perfectly fine with a real extension had he handled the Baltimore game the way he handled every game since Carolina..... cautious, safe, taking calculated Risks.... but Baltimore in the divisional round he was too cavalier for me, & I don't understand why.
Old 02-19-2012   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The length of the extension is the only thing that means anything to anybody. The longer the extension, the greater Bob's exposure.
Doesn't mean jack to me. I couldn't care less about McNair's "exposure". If the team wins (which it finally has), keep Kubiak. If the team loses, dump him. The contract is McNair's problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Kubiak is probably the best locker room coach in the league short of The Hoody or Coughlin...
How would you, me, or anyone not in the locker room know this? Or even what value that brings to winning? The only thing that matters is the record. And there are still plenty of head coaches with better records than Gary Kubiak. There are plenty of unknowns, as well. Especially in the AFC South. Hopefully, that will be to Kubiak's, and the Texans', advantage.
Old 02-19-2012   #7
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Kubes and the Texans as I do this country, generally speaking. Think what we could be with a GOOD leader.
Old 02-19-2012   #8
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I see Kubes and the Texans as I do this country, generally speaking. Think what we could be with a GOOD leader.
All the players say Gary is a great leader. We dont see what happens behind closed doors. He has made questionable calls during the game, but for the most part we owe the success of this team to Kubes offense, and Wades defense. Neither can stand alone.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Doesn't mean jack to me. I couldn't care less about McNair's "exposure". If the team wins (which it finally has), keep Kubiak. If the team loses, dump him. The contract is McNair's problem.
Yeah.... maybe I should have been more specific.. McNair would be the anybody.
Quote:
How would you, me, or anyone not in the locker room know this? Or even what value that brings to winning?
The solidarity of the message coming out of the locker room, being told by players, coaches, etc...

Player comments

Player effort

& this year's accomplishments despite the injury issues are reliable locker room metrics to me.

Look at the 2011 Jets... bad locker room, bad affect on winning. Not that it's the only thing, but, imo, the locker room plays into a teams ability to win.
Quote:
The only thing that matters is the record.
Yeah..... sorry, I've never subscribed to that small-minded, short-sighted view. Winning doesn't happen in a vacuum.
Quote:
And there are still plenty of head coaches with better records than Gary Kubiak.
I don't understand this statement. Has anyone questioned this? What does this have to do with Kubiak's merit for getting an extension this year?
Quote:
There are plenty of unknowns, as well. Especially in the AFC South. Hopefully, that will be to Kubiak's, and the Texans', advantage.
Hopefully.

All I'm saying is that Gary is going to get an extension.... we know that. How long will it be? We don't know, however, when we find out, the length of the extension may give us some insight into McNair's perception of Gary Kubiak.....

& that McNair can extend him for 4 years, but fire him next year if that's what he chooses to do.
Old 02-19-2012   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

At this point you keep him and then once Wade exits you replace him with the next best person.
Old 02-19-2012   #11
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be a tall order not to extend Kubiak, especially after last season. Yes wade helped get us to where we were going but, Also look at the upgrades the defense had compared to 2010. JoJo, Manning, Watt, Reed, Barwin, Demeco.

Some want to say all this teams success is because of Wade. I say B.S, sure having his scheme helped but it is not all because of him.

Kubiak had a 5th round rookie QB, and No AJ for damn near half the season. And he managed to do just enough to win. Some say he is a coach who has trouble making adjustments, well he did a pretty damn good job to me last season.

With Schaub and AJ for the whole season i have no doubt we would of had a 1st round bye, and home field advantage. That would of changed things a lot. We will see next season. Hopefully the injury bug goes elsewhere.
Old 02-19-2012   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't extend Gary

BoB will extend Gary.

Gary is BoBs illegitimate son.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Will Gary hire an outside DC to replace Wade or just give the job to an assistant? We have all seen that before?
Old 02-19-2012   #14
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 848 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I wouldn't extend Gary

BoB will extend Gary.

Gary is BoBs illegitimate son.
Really??????? At 49 years old that's the best you can come up with???

He'll extend him because that will show franchise stability to players, coaches, free agents as well as player agents. Besides money the #1 thing player agents look at is to find a place your player fits the system in and have longer term stability for growth. It just makes perfect sense to extend him and it most likely will be for a minimum of 2 years.
Old 02-19-2012   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind giving Kubiak and extension of 3 years, but they better give Wade a 2 year extension to match. Both under contract through 2015 ought to be fine. Wade's should also include a bump in salary to help prevent him from being lured away next offseason.
Old 02-19-2012   #16
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't mind giving Kubiak and extension of 3 years, but they better give Wade a 2 year extension to match. Both under contract through 2015 ought to be fine. Wade's should also include a bump in salary to help prevent him from being lured away next offseason.
He's already the highest paid D co isn't he? Not 100% sure on that but seem to remember reading it.

For me, I don't want Bob to extend Kubes this season, give him the pressure to succeed again next season and don't set yourself up for a fall.

That said, I think he probably will get extended, and I won't be that upset if he does, but if next season is a big step back, it'll be a huge disappointment to me.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Really??????? At 49 years old that's the best you can come up with???

He'll extend him because that will show franchise stability to players, coaches, free agents as well as player agents. Besides money the #1 thing player agents look at is to find a place your player fits the system in and have longer term stability for growth. It just makes perfect sense to extend him and it most likely will be for a minimum of 2 years.
Really, atleast your thinking outside the box.

What's Garys record?

What's Gary's record without Wade?

Does he really deserve an extention based on his W/L record?

Like I said before if BoB's proven one thing he wont buy out a HC with yrs remaining on his contract. Regardless of what the paying customers want. For this reason I would wait and make Gary prove himself again next yr.

Of course I would have fired Gary after the 2009 season. BoB didn't because he had just given Gary a contract extention. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

Your kidding yourself if you dont think FA is about mostly $$$$. Why do you think the Texans defense improved last yr? BoB finally stepped up and gave Manning and Joseph the best deals they could find on the market. Your kidding yourself if you think that continuity/stability and all of that other crap that you're spewing mattered. 2 things matter to FA's 1. $$$$ 2. Winning. Luclily for the Texans Wade decided to sign/stay with the Texans so that helps mask Garys gameday gaffes. As long as Wade stay the Texans will have a winning org and Houston will become a desireable place for FA's to play.

If Wade leaves I full expect Gary to return to the same old Gary. Gary has learned on the Job. But my qeustion to you is why did it take him 6 yrs to learn and why did he suddenly become some great mind/HC after Wade joined the staff? Does Gary have a learning disability? 6 yrs really?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Gary without Wade bad.
Gary with Wade good.
END THEAD.
Old 02-19-2012   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Kubiak: extension?

47-49? Any discussion of an extension is out of line and ridiculous.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Of course I would have fired Gary after the 2009 season. BoB didn't because he had just given Gary a contract extention. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.
After their first winning season ever?

This goes back to winning doesn't happen in a vacuum. Some of you guys act like we were the Patriots coming off back to back Super Bowl victories.

We were three years removed from our worst season ever.

I think it was also the second biggest roster turnover as well.

It's the same as any organized sport, you look at returning players & experience & you base your expectations on that. If you're involved in youth sports, you'll know as the parents & coaches try to keep the same teams together as long as they can, because it increases their chances of winning. They also know once they move up in competition, say go from 10U to 12U, they're going to struggle that first year & most likely not win a lot of games. But you've got to play the year anyway. You focus on fundamentals & quality play. That way when you're a senior team in the league, you'll mop up with all the freshman teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read