Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2012   #21
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: “I’d absolutely love to stay in Houston”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Nope. The contingency for Brown is the franchise tag. Brooks was not drafted to play LT, and isn't playing the position. Brown will be on the Texans 2013 roster, one way or another.
Could we tag Duane Brown two years straight then? Because he's going to ask a helluva' lot of money after having been the LT on arguably the best offensive line in football.

Duane Brown IS going to be a very rich man when it's all said and done. There's not a team in the league, provided they have the cap space, that won't go after him when he's free to do so.

I think Brooks is best suited for the interior. But my point was that his size is extraordinarily large for a guard--I'm trying to remember the last time we've seen a guard in Houston who was THAT large. "What if" it's his size that was the factor in his selection, coupled with a potential loss of Duane Brown down the road? Not an exact plan, but rather a contingency plan just in case.
Old 06-13-2012   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
The key is to get a deal done before the season ends and not have him franchise tagged and not allow him to get to free agancy. Although I dont disagree with lettting Mario walk, this is not the same situation. Brown plays one of the most important positions in the game. Lock him up during the season.
Agreed. I'm trying to remember the last time the Texans did a long-term deal with a player mid-season. Maybe AJ's deal???

I know a lot of people say we're needing to consider locking up Barwin and Cushing. I don't think we can do anything with anybody until DUANE BROWN is given a new ultra-rich deal here.

From that contract will flow all others, IMO.
Old 06-13-2012   #23
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Think it'll be interesting. I can't see him getting a Joe Thomas deal. Jake Long is going to set the market IMO.

Joe Thomas - The team locked up its steady Pro Bowl left offensive tackle on Monday by reaching agreement with Thomas on a seven-year contract extension. The deal is worth $84 million with roughly $44 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...on-source-says

Jake Long - Long's in a contract year, and he's going to want at least the $92 million over eight seasons that Joe Thomas got from Cleveland. It will be a tough negotiation for the Dolphins as they try to determine 1) Whether the left tackle is worth that kind of coin, and 2) Whether Long's body will hold up. Though he's missed just two games, Long's injuries over the past two seasons include a torn right biceps (surgery), lingering left knee trouble, a lower back issue that cost him a game, and a dislocated left shoulder with a torn labrum (surgery). Jun 3 - 11:23 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long

Duane Brown is a good & solid tackle in a scheme that makes him great. I love me some DB...but i can't see us giving him 92m.
Old 06-13-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Brandon Brooks is the Texans' escape plan if Duane Brown asks for Over The Moon money.

Brooks is big, agile, and will have played here long enough to be veteran enough to handle LT if it comes down to it.

They're determined to not get caught flat-footed again (i.e. Mario Williams leaving). So they drafted Mercilus as a contingency for Barwin, Crick as contingency for Antonio Smith, and Brooks as contingency for Duane Brown.

Sounds plausible, don't it???
Kubiak is concerned about Brooks not maintaining weight.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...walker-norris/

Kubiak also expressed concern about the weight of rookie guard Brandon Brooks, a third-round pick out of Miami (Ohio). Brooks is listed at 346 pounds, heaviest on the team, and Kubiak was displeased with Brooks’ weigh-in this week.

“I did not like what I saw today,” Kubiak said. “He’s overweight, and he’s got to get down. But he has a chance to be a good player.”

Kubiak said Brooks had done well maintaining his weight until the team’s weigh-in on Monday. He didn’t specify how much Brooks currently weighs or at what weight he wants him to be.

“As of yesterday’s weigh-in, (he needs to lose) a lot,” Kubiak said. “It had been pretty good. I’m not real happy with him right now.”
Old 06-13-2012   #25
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Kubiak also expressed concern about the weight of rookie guard Brandon ”
How much does a full time chef cost? Get one, cook all your meals, weight lost..no?
Old 06-13-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
How much does a full time chef cost? Get one, cook all your meals, weight lost..no?
Si pero tu quiero.
Old 06-13-2012   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Si pero tu quiero.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2012   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Oh crap!! I thought I said yes but you have to want it (the chef). Uh, after your post, I think I said "yes, but I desire you." Hope we don't have to move this to the other forum. Conner Barwin I may need your help!!
Old 06-13-2012   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Oh crap!! I thought I said yes but you have to want it (the chef). Uh, after your post, I think I said "yes, but I desire you." Hope we don't have to move this to the other forum. Conner Barwin I may need your help!!
Freudian slip?

Old 06-13-2012   #30
Section516 
Warrior

Quote:
I went pure
Old 06-13-2012   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You did NOT say the bolded.

I think you wanted something along the lines of "Si pero tiene que querer lo" or "Si pero tiene que lo querer." It's been awhile since I tried to learn Spanish.
Old 06-13-2012   #32
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You did NOT say the bolded.

I think you wanted something along the lines of "Si pero tiene que querer lo" or "Si pero tiene que lo querer." It's been awhile since I tried to learn Spanish.
Sí, pero tienes que desea
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Could we tag Duane Brown two years straight then?
Yes.

Quote:
What if" it's his size that was the factor in his selection, coupled with a potential loss of Duane Brown down the road? Not an exact plan, but rather a contingency plan just in case.
Nope.
Old 06-13-2012   #34
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, they all say this lol
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #35
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

You absoueltely have to lock up a top 5 LT long term. That position is too important and when you have a guy of DB's ability, and he is just now starting to peak, this is the ultimate no brainer. Pay the man Rick.
Old 06-14-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yes.
So then after being tagged twice by the Texans, does Duane Brown sail off into the sunset for having been tagged twice instead of given the long-term deal back when he wanted it?

This tag thingy is nice in one way, and it can be bad in another. Depends upon the mindset of the player (Dunta didn't like it, even though he was paid a lot for one year of play). The bad side of it is that Brown could suffer a career-ending injury during that tagged year...

...No long-term deal = lesser money overall, all things considered. Right?
Old 06-14-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
You absoueltely have to lock up a top 5 LT long term. That position is too important and when you have a guy of DB's ability, and he is just now starting to peak, this is the ultimate no brainer. Pay the man Rick.
And we can bet our bibbies that his agent knows exactly that.

The price is going to be the biggest LT contract in history. Can we afford that?
Old 06-14-2012   #38
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Duane will get about 10 million per year for 6 years from the Texans, he's certainly the highest priority next year. We can afford it next offseason, but the team is going to have a tough choice between keeping Matt Schaub and Connor Barwin. I think if they want to keep both, they will have to let Wade Smith and Antonio Smith go to make room.
Old 06-14-2012   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So then after being tagged twice by the Texans, does Duane Brown sail off into the sunset for having been tagged twice instead of given the long-term deal back when he wanted it?

This tag thingy is nice in one way, and it can be bad in another. Depends upon the mindset of the player (Dunta didn't like it, even though he was paid a lot for one year of play). The bad side of it is that Brown could suffer a career-ending injury during that tagged year...

...No long-term deal = lesser money overall, all things considered. Right?
The Seahawks tagged one of their LTs multiple times (iirc) and then finally got a deal done. The rules on the tag amounts have changed since then, though.

Getting tagged usually meant ultimately less money and there was always the chance of career ending injury. With the new franchise tag calculations, I'm not sure how it works out now.
Old 06-14-2012   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Freudian slip?

Hell no just talking in my second foreign language with English being my first foreign language.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read