Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2012   #21
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Situations that may offer Texans another WR option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't disagree here which is why I left that part of your post out of my quote. With the group we have now I think at least one will emerge to be better than JJ.
So you feel comfortable with what we have even considering the injury history of our top 2 receivers?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
So you feel comfortable with what we have even considering the injury history of our top 2 receivers?
Comfortable might be too strong a word. But I would rather gamble on a potential young player than gamble maybe someone isn't over the hill. I don't believe in the just getting "a vet" theory. At this point Schaub, AJ and Walter can provide tons of veteran leadership in the system. We don't need some old WR who hasn't played this system for leadership.
Old 06-13-2012   #23
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Comfortable might be too strong a word. But I would rather gamble on a potential young player than gamble maybe someone isn't over the hill. I don't believe in the just getting "a vet" theory. At this point Schaub, AJ and Walter can provide tons of veteran leadership in the system. We don't need some old WR who hasn't played this system for leadership.
I can understand that. There are only 3 or 4 guys who I would look at to bring in at this point, but I agree for settling for a Bryant Johnson type isn't the right move for the team.
Old 06-13-2012   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

James Jones has 2 years left on a very friendly deal (less than $6 million). He's not going anywhere.
Old 06-13-2012   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I've always felt Jones was a tier above MSW. GB is chock-full loaded with excellent WRs and very high on their young guys coming up.

If you take the (old) QB ranking for QBs throwing to all receivers and sort by receiver, Jone's QB rating when targeted was 3rd in the league in 2011. Makes his QB look good.

Brings more to the table than Derrick Mason/Bryant Johnson types, imo. Don't think we'd have to pay more than a lower pick ... and wouldn't. If we're trolling for castoffs, I just wonder if there's a better option for low compensation -- this being our SB year and all.
Thanks. This is useful info and I appreciate your time and thoughts. I still think we will bring in a vet but no idea who.
Old 06-13-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
All that needs to be said is Jones at age 28 was the Packers #3 WR over Jordy Nelson. Playing in McCarthys WC offense. So yeah, I think he would be an upgrade at WR2.

Considering the Texans need for an upgrade at WR2, I think Jones would be worth a 3rd rd pick. But I dont know if the Texans can afford Jones because of salary cap ramifications. Dutch could probably tell us who would have to be let go to make room for Jones.
Speaking only to the salary situation, we have the $3m from JJ that has not been assigned. That may not be enough but for much more we'd better gett a solid WR.
Old 06-13-2012   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
He was the 6th QB in NFL history to put up 9000 yards in two seasons. I haven't investigated it but I doubt any of the others did it with the league's leading rusher in either of the two years.
Some do not realize how remarkable that was.
Old 06-13-2012   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Some do not realize how remarkable that was.
What is amazing as well is somehow Schaub did it with a WR corps which the common consensus was "they aren't NFL quality other than AJ."
Old 06-14-2012   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was the 6th QB in NFL history to put up 9000 yards in two seasons. I haven't investigated it but I doubt any of the others did it with the league's leading rusher in either of the two years.
Man , Gary's offense sucks .... Bob should fire him.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #30
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

To be honest I think I'm more concerned about our TE situation than I am about our receivers. We can find some capable guys that are out there to come in and play receiver, but there aren't many quality Tight Ends right now on the market. We're banking on Casey and Graham to produce at the position outside of OD.

Hopefully Graham realizes this is his time to really step up and prove and can be a reliable option. Daniel Graham just became available, but I don't think anybody truly wants to see him here. MSW will most likely be signed to come into camp and compete for a roster spot at receiver, so discussing all of the other options probably is a moot point.

Last edited by Texn4life; 06-14-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-14-2012   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Speaking only to the salary situation, we have the $3m from JJ that has not been assigned. That may not be enough but for much more we'd better gett a solid WR.
The problem is there's no one available that I think is really worth bringing in...

Check out this list from WalterFootball....

There's no one of note to be had.

And do we really think someone of note - and "affordable" (I won't say "cheap") - will fall off of some team's roster after preseason?? I have my doubts.

We gotta develop what we've drafted.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #32
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The problem is there's no one available that I think is really worth bringing in...

Check out this list from WalterFootball....

There's no one of note to be had.

And do we really think someone of note - and "affordable" (I won't say "cheap") - will fall off of some team's roster after preseason?? I have my doubts.

We gotta develop what we've drafted.
Hopefully someone will be cut during camp that could come in and help, ala Frank Wychek back in the day.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #33
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't it be a nice situation if oh say Dwight Jones could've pulled it together? Quitting is for quitters though. Just saying, seems like the perfect opportunity for a young guy to step up.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #34
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

T.O.

will come in has a locker room guy to groom the young WR's

&

Line him up with AJ who will teams double cover LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
T.O.

will come in has a locker room guy to groom the young WR's

&

Line him up with AJ who will teams double cover LOL
You just HAD to say it....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #36
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
James Jones has 2 years left on a very friendly deal (less than $6 million). He's not going anywhere.
I might be wrong, but wasn't Jones the one that had a bad case of the dropsies not too long ago?
Old 06-16-2012   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep

But he also made enough big plays to hold off Nelson for the WR3 during the SB yr. That says somethng about Jones talent and ability to get separation.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #38
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

James Jones is way way more reliable than Jacoby Jones and has been a nice player for the Pack. I don't really see why the Packers would choose to re-sign Driver and shop Jones when he's got a friendly deal in place however, we aren't privy to what goes on behind closed doors.

If I'm Rick Smith my top draft pick I can trade for a James Jones is probably a 4th, mostly due to Rick Smith not trading draft picks higher than a 6th for other teams players.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read