Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Situations that may offer Texans another WR option...

There's been plenty of chatter that the Texans will try to add a veteran WR for the 2012 season, so I thought I'd consolidate some potentials in a seperate thread.

This one caught my eye (and prompted this topic):

Ramifications Of Donald Driver Deal Are Clear

Receiver Donald Driver is going to be on the Green Bay Packers roster in 2012.

How do we know this? The team gave him $1.2 million guaranteed as part of his recently-renegotiated contract, according to Rob Demovsky. He’ll make $1.1 million in base salary on the deal, which expires after this season.

There are quite a few ramifications to consider here.

1. The roster spot
The Packers wouldn’t have guaranteed Driver $1.2 million if they thought they might release him...

2. The young guys
With Driver taking up a roster spot, the Packers are going to lose one of their promising, young practice squad receivers. That is, unless they decide to do something out of character like trade James Jones. We’re talking about Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel, of course. Both will push for a roster spot this season. Both were offered active roster spots with other teams last season. Both have huge upside. The Packers have traditionally kept only five receivers under Mike McCarthy. This year, they’ll have to keep six just to keep Driver and Borel or Gurley on the team. If the Packers can’t trade the odd man out, he’s sure to sign with another team. Either way, Borel or Gurley are playing elsewhere this season. Which is too bad because…

Any interest in James Jones here ... ?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Situations that may offer Texans another WR option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
There's been plenty of chatter that the Texans will try to add a veteran WR for the 2012 season, so I thought I'd consolidate some potentials in a seperate thread.

How do we know this? The team gave him $1.2 million guaranteed as part of his recently-renegotiated contract, according to Rob Demovsky. He’ll make $1.1 million in base salary on the deal, which expires after this season.

1. The roster spot
The Packers wouldn’t have guaranteed Driver $1.2 million if they thought they might release him...

2. The young guys
With Driver taking up a roster spot, the Packers are going to lose one of their promising, young practice squad receivers. That is, unless they decide to do something out of character like trade James Jones. We’re talking about Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel, of course. Both will push for a roster spot this season. Both were offered active roster spots with other teams last season. Both have huge upside. The Packers have traditionally kept only five receivers under Mike McCarthy. This year, they’ll have to keep six just to keep Driver and Borel or Gurley on the team. If the Packers can’t trade the odd man out, he’s sure to sign with another team. Either way, Borel or Gurley are playing elsewhere this season. Which is too bad because…

Could be but I think Rick Smith loathes sending anything other than late round picks to other teams for players.
Old 06-12-2012   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

James Jones would be a great fit in this offense at the right price. Mike Sims Walker is still an option too according to an article I read over the weekend. Its a huge red flag though that 2 receiver thirsty teams had him on their roster last year and decided to pass on him. If the Rams and Jags don't want u then something is wrong with the guy.

Last edited by Texn4life; 06-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Could be but I think Rick Smith loathes sending anything other than late round picks to other teams for players.
Do you really think James Jones is going to garner a high draft choice?
Old 06-12-2012   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Do you really think James Jones is going to garner a high draft choice?
Probably a mid round pick. 4th rounder or maybe a 4th and a 5th. He's only 28 and he's been pretty productive.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

1. The roster spot

2. The young guys

Don't know him. Can you provide info like size, skills, stats,age, experience?
Old 06-12-2012   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Don't know him. Can you provide info like size, skills, stats,age, experience?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=James+Jones+NFL

I've always wanted to use that.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2012   #8
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans bring in Sims-Walker during Minicamp
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=James+Jones+NFL

I've always wanted to use that.
If I wanted to do the research I would have. I expect folks to put some work into their suggestions. Anyone can throw up a name such as this 28 YOA nothing player. Give me some details on why you (O.P.) think he would be a good pickup.
Old 06-12-2012   #10
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Why waste a draft pick? We are not a passing team.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #11
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Why waste a draft pick? We are not a passing team.
With the comp picks we should be getting next year, a late round pick really shouldn't be as valuable to us next year. If you ask me if I'd rather have MSW or James Jones. I take James Jones every day of the week. I wouldn't think he'd command more than a 5th or 6th round pick. The Packers have probably the deepest receiving core in the league, but I'm not sure that they want to part with him right now anyway.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are not a passing team.
Yeah 'cuz you see non-passing teams ripping off consecutive 4000+ yard passing seasons so often - Schaub was on pace for his third consecutive 4000+ yard season.

Of the 10 teams with 4000+ passing yards last season only 2 were in the top 10 for rushing yards. One was New Orleans and the other Philadelphia - neither known as a rushing team by any stretch (without Vick's improvisation, generally on plays called as passes, they would have plummeted to the bottom third of the league). We are a balanced attack not a rushing team.
Old 06-12-2012   #13
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah 'cuz you see non-passing teams ripping off consecutive 4000+ yard passing seasons so often - Schaub was on pace for his third consecutive 4000+ yard season.

Of the 10 teams with 4000+ passing yards last season only 2 were in the top 10 for rushing yards. We are a balanced attack not a rushing team.
Guess I can agree that we are balanced, with a lean toward the run. Yes Matt had a couple of high yardage seasons, but some of those yardage totals are from hitting a couple of long gainers a game because of the defense having to focus on the run, which is our area of expertise.

Just saying at this point I dont think using picks to take a flyer on another teams WR is the way to go. Develop through the draft. As we stand I do not feel we should feel desperate at all about our receiver situation.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guess I can agree that we are balanced, with a lean toward the run. Yes Matt had a couple of high yardage seasons, but some of those yardage totals are from hitting a couple of long gainers a game because of the defense having to focus on the run, which is our area of expertise.
Certainly since the emergence of Foster the passing game has had pressure taken off it but when Schaub was getting close to 5000 yards three years ago we had virtually no rushing attack.

Quote:
Just saying at this point I dont think using picks to take a flyer on another teams WR is the way to go. Develop through the draft. As we stand I do not feel we should feel desperate at all about our receiver situation.
I don't disagree here which is why I left that part of your post out of my quote. With the group we have now I think at least one will emerge to be better than JJ.
Old 06-12-2012   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With the group we have now I think at least one will emerge to be better than JJ.
If you had to throw a dart today, would it be toward Posey or Martin? I think it's almost a conclusion, barring injury, that LaStar Jean is the next man up in the WR corps perhaps pressing KW for playing time.

Slot and returns at this early point seems to trend favoring Martin.

Folks agree/disagree?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Give me some details on why you (O.P.) think he would be a good pickup.
I've always felt Jones was a tier above MSW. GB is chock-full loaded with excellent WRs and very high on their young guys coming up.

If you take the (old) QB ranking for QBs throwing to all receivers and sort by receiver, Jone's QB rating when targeted was 3rd in the league in 2011. Makes his QB look good.

Brings more to the table than Derrick Mason/Bryant Johnson types, imo. Don't think we'd have to pay more than a lower pick ... and wouldn't. If we're trolling for castoffs, I just wonder if there's a better option for low compensation -- this being our SB year and all.
Old 06-12-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I wanted to do the research I would have. I expect folks to put some work into their suggestions. Anyone can throw up a name such as this 28 YOA nothing player. Give me some details on why you (O.P.) think he would be a good pickup.
All that needs to be said is Jones at age 28 was the Packers #3 WR over Jordy Nelson. Playing in McCarthys WC offense. So yeah, I think he would be an upgrade at WR2.

Considering the Texans need for an upgrade at WR2, I think Jones would be worth a 3rd rd pick. But I dont know if the Texans can afford Jones because of salary cap ramifications. Dutch could probably tell us who would have to be let go to make room for Jones.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
...I think Jones would be worth a 3rd rd pick. But I dont know if the Texans can afford Jones because of salary cap ramifications. Dutch could probably tell us who would have to be let go to make room for Jones.
Yeah, I dunno about cap. But I was thinking more 5th rounder. We'll see ... he may suck at blocking?

All I know is I won a few fantasy football games spot starting Jones.
Old 06-13-2012   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Back to back 4500 yard seasons .... I recall not many QB's can say they have done that.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Back to back 4500 yard seasons .... I recall not many QB's can say they have done that.
He was the 6th QB in NFL history to put up 9000 yards in two seasons. I haven't investigated it but I doubt any of the others did it with the league's leading rusher in either of the two years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read