Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-10-2012   #21
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What can I expect from jacoby Jones?

Look up the 63 page "Jacoby's Got To Go" thread on here and you will have all the information about him you will ever need.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #22
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21536 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

And running sideline to sidline and not north/south.
I still don't understand how you can tackle a guy that doesn't have his hands on the ball......

The coverage guys knew he muffed it yet he out right tackled him.

Doesn't change a dumb ass decision though.......
Old 06-10-2012   #23
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I still don't understand how you can tackle a guy that doesn't have his hands on the ball......

The coverage guys knew he muffed it yet he out right tackled him.

Doesn't change a dumb ass decision though.......
While agree Jacoby was stupid I was also wondering how there wasn't a flag on the Ravens there.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
While agree Jacoby was stupid I was also wondering how there wasn't a flag on the Ravens there.
I have wondered that as well. Once he muffs the ball doesn't that tackle become a block in the back?
Old 06-10-2012   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Wondering what you guys think of him.
Just get behind him and hope he overcomes and achieves. Sometimes a change of environment makes all the difference.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I have wondered that as well. Once he muffs the ball doesn't that tackle become a block in the back?
Make that unanimous.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #27
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Forgive me for not remembering the details but,

There was a game against the Titans in Tennessee about 2 years ago and late in the 4th quarter Jacoby coughed up the ball on a punt that he fielded around the 5 yard line and Tennessee recovered. Due to some weird rule that nobody knew about at the time the Texans maintained possession and won the game.

Jacoby avoided catastrophe.

In a 2011 regular season Texans game Jacoby fielded a punt off the bounce around the 15 yard line and had a very nice return. Again forgive me for not remembering the exact game but I remember cursing him for fielding the ball in the first place even though he had a good return.

Jacoby avoided catastrophe again.

In the playoffs he made the same mistake he has made over and over. This time it hurt us enough to get rid of him and I couldn't be happier. There is a reason we all held our breath when Jones returned a punt.

As a receiver I think Jones is extremely limited. Like everyone says, he might make a big play or two but he will also drop passes and disappear completely at times.
Old 06-10-2012   #28
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ reminds me of a little kid in a man's body. One that hasn't learned how to focus, and has an attention span of about 3 sec. IF he ever grows up he just MIGHT be a decent player. Unfortuately, he'll be much to old when that day comes!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
People are correctly identifying problems but being overly harsh IMO. He is a very good open field runner whether it be on punt returns or after a catch. He is a danger to take one all the way at any time. He has problems making catches. He has problems not just accepting he is going to be tackled at times and taking what he can get (applies to both returns and passes) so you will get some stupid looking -3 yard returns and then he will bust one for 50 yards when you thought he was going to be nailed for 3. He is a poor route runner - rounds them off and seems to have issues with depth as in break at 10 v. break at 13 leaving the QB looking like he threw a bad pass. He is an above average run blocker.

He has all the physical ability to be a star but can't seem to put it together and I know from someone close Andre Johnson has put a lot of effort into trying to get JJ to put it together. Not sure y'all have someone who can be a better mentor than AJ and make it click for JJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think he's the perfect #3 for you guys. You have Boldin, you have Smith, no one is going to be expecting Jacoby to be your #1 receiver. But he'll do his job, get open, attract attention away from Boldin & Smith, help out your vertical game, & block downfield, helping to spring some big runs.

I wouldn't be looking to put him on my fantasy team, he's a #3, no more, no less.
These two assessments are as close to objective as you'll get around here. Many Texans fans think he SINGLE-HANDEDLY cost us the playoff game against you guys. While Jones' early game screw up certainly didn't help us, I think that's a really weak excuse [three INTs!!]. But that's a totally different conversation. I only bring it up to let you know that those viewpoints are the reason you may not get an objective assessment on Jones from most of my MB buddies.

Now, having said that, my earlier post still stands.

He's had his shot here. It's time for us to upgrade.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #30
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Make that unanimous.
I guess that's what we all figured.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #31
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After my last post I read yours. Wasn't the decision in the Titans game I talked about that you could not interfere with the returner until the ball hit the ground?

Seems contradictory what happened in the Ravens game and what happened in Titans game I mentioned.
Old 06-10-2012   #32
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=CloakNNNdagger;1967021]

Exhibit A ... Jacoby has hands the size of a Garo Yeprimian .
Old 06-10-2012   #33
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Still a little sour about it.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #34
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

When plays like that happen, I've always looked at it like when a pass is tipped, and a defender is given clearance to lay anyone out near the ball because it's been touched.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #35
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Honoring Earl 34;1967053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Exhibit A ... Jacoby has hands the size of a Garo Yeprimian .
yup, he's got those hands from the burger king commercial. i guess that's what happens when you grow from 5'7" to 6'2" in college...

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #36
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
After my last post I read yours. Wasn't the decision in the Titans game I talked about that you could not interfere with the returner until the ball hit the ground?

Seems contradictory what happened in the Ravens game and what happened in Titans game I mentioned.
In the Titan's game he called for fair catch, which gives him rights to the ball until it touches the ground.

In the Raven's game he did not call for a fair catch.
Old 06-10-2012   #37
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
In the Titan's game he called for fair catch, which gives him rights to the ball until it touches the ground.

In the Raven's game he did not call for a fair catch.
Ah, thank you for that. He still muffed the punt badly in the Titans game though.
Old 06-10-2012   #38
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No as original contact is made after the bobble and resulted in him not catching it at all .... if he's a reciever trying to catch it you do the same thing. Good play IMO.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No as original contact is made after the bobble and resulted in him not catching it at all .... if he's a reciever trying to catch it you do the same thing. Good play IMO.
I realize possession was not established yet but gunners and other ST members are not allowed to just run down field and tackle people. He got outright tackled and from the rear. That dude full on wrap tackled JJ. There's a reason you don't see that all over the field on kicks/punts.
Old 06-10-2012   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I realize possession was not established yet but gunners and other ST members are not allowed to just run down field and tackle people. He got outright tackled and from the rear. That dude full on wrap tackled JJ. There's a reason you don't see that all over the field on kicks/punts.
The defender hesitated giving him opportunity to make the catch , the bobble comes a split second before contact .... I think its a good play on the defenders part.

You have to take into consideration that the defenders job is to tackle the guy with the ball .... For all he knows , JJ caught it and he's tackling him. Kind of a heat of the moment thing , you cant really make a call like that.

JJ had no business catching that ball .... not even a fair catch at that point the defender was on top of him.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read