Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2013   #1
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cushing Gets Extension

Reports on Twitter are saying Cush has agreed to a long term extension.

YESSSS!!!!

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2m
ILB Brian Cushing has reached an agreement on a long-term contract extension with the Texans.
Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 2m
ILB Brian Cushing reaches an agreement on an extension with the Texans. He was in the final year of his contract.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #2
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing Gets Extension

Quote:
adam schefter ‏@adamschefter 18s
texans lb brian cushing is going to sign a 6 year extension today.
boom!!!

Old 09-03-2013   #3
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Schefter @ AdamSchefter
Texans LB Brian Cushing is going to sign
a 6 year extension today.

Would have liked to at least go half way to the season to see how his ACL reacts. But anyway, good move.
htowntexans1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #4
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post

Would have liked to at least go half way to the season to see how his ACL reacts. But anyway, good move.
I'm happy we got him before he had a comeback season. He would have then commanded much more money. Plus Cushing is the leader of this defense. Great move.

Old 09-03-2013   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Bye Wade.

Wade Smith that is.
Old 09-03-2013   #6
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Cushing gets 6 years.

Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 3m
Texans ILB Brian Cushing gets a six-year extension.
Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m
The #Texans have reached a long-term extension with LB Brian Cushing, source says.
Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 3m
Cushing has signed a six-year extension.
Quote:
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 2m
Confirmed: The #Texans have reached a long-term contract extension for ILB Brian Cushing.
Quote:
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 2m
It's a six-year extension for Cushing. #Texans

Old 09-03-2013   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post

I wouldn't, it's not like these contracts are guaranteed. Texans hold all of the leverage before Cushing proves he's still a BAMF.

Next on the list... lock up Watt!
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2013   #8
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I wouldn't, it's not like these contracts are guaranteed. Texans hold all of the leverage before Cushing proves he's still a BAMF.

True. Watt will break the bank!! 100 million plus with around 50 guaranteed!!!
Old 09-03-2013   #9
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre restructured his contract.
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #10
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 1m
Texans restructure Andre Johnson contract4 2013. Was 2make $10.5M n salary. Now Johnson will make $5 million n salary w/ $5.5 million bonus
Quote:
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 1m
Spoke to JJ Watt recently. Asked him why this team is any better than the 2012 one. Looked at me like I was crazy. One word. "Cushing".
Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 42s
Texans wanted to get Cushing done cause GM Rick Smith has a policy against contract negotiations during regular season.
Quote:
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 2m
Cushing extension is A Big Deal. #Texans don't like in-season contract negotiations. Have done them right before season w/ a number of guys.
Rick Smith getting work done.

Old 09-03-2013   #11
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Repost*
Old 09-03-2013   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

Lol. Even if we wanted to lock up JJ, no way would his agents agree to an extension at this point. JJ's next contract is going to be so massive our great grandkids will be paying the bills.

As for Cushing...meh. We will see.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a surprise, I would have thought they'd want to see much more from Brian before inking a new deal, I got to think they (the Texans) got him at a discount because they are assuming considerable risk here. We will wait and see what the actual numbers are ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick has been pressing to get this done before the season started, as his policy is no contract negotiations during the season. Glad it worked out.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Lol. Even if we wanted to lock up JJ, no way would his agents agree to an extension at this point. JJ's next contract is going to be so massive our great grandkids will be paying the bills.

As for Cushing...meh. We will see.
Good thing the agent works for Watt, & not the other way around.
Old 09-03-2013   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

This tells me that Texans are ok with Cushing' health & his possible productivity this season far outweighs risks he may not heal and be the Cushing of old. I think I'd have waited a bit longer but if they are convinced it is great to lock him in. Now if Mays or Sharpton or both can have good season another concern of mine is eliminated.
Old 09-03-2013   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good thing the agent works for Watt, & not the other way around.
Uh, either way, it doesn't matter.

Watt is not stupid. He knows how the game works. Even he knows that he'll likely command more money if he waits another year or two to re-do his contract. Other teams would sell everything they owned to get a JJ Watt. Don't think he doesn't know what.

Don't let his "aw shucks" public face fool you. Despite his "nice guy" demeanor, he's shrewd and calculating.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Glad to see this. I have my doubts as to how long it'll take Cushing to get back to form, but I have no doubts that he'll get there.
Old 09-03-2013   #19
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Uh, either way, it doesn't matter.

Watt is not stupid. He knows how the game works. Even he knows that he'll likely command more money if he waits another year or two to re-do his contract. Other teams would sell everything they owned to get a JJ Watt. Don't think he doesn't know what.

Don't let his "aw shucks" public face fool you. Despite his "nice guy" demeanor, he's shrewd and calculating.
There's no guarantee that Watt will have another season anywhere close to what he had in 2012. There's also a big chance that he'll get some kind of injury that will prevent him from ever doing so again....... just getting one year older may hurt his chances.

If the Texans were to offer him an extension today that he felt was fair he'd be silly not to take it.

Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read