Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-09-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 49rs Fans Brace For Sticker Shock

49ers tickets: Fans must pay $2,000 to buy cheapest tickets in new stadium
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 49rs Fans Brace For Sticker Shock

So now the solution to have any individuals and not just corporations at games is to have a mortgage on the seats? Teams better get ready for lots of blackout games in bad years because ardent individual fans will still attend a 2-14 season. Corporations won't. And the whole vibe of the stadium will be different as well. Two-thirds of the seats around us are corporate and they are largely unenthusiastic and ignorant. (I don't mean someone scamming the IRS by running his tickets through his company and then shows up every week but truly corporate owned seats where someone different shows up each week).

It really is a damn shame it has gotten to the point you are basically spending a pretty nice TV every time you take your family of four to the game.
Old 06-09-2012   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So now the solution to have any individuals and not just corporations at games is to have a mortgage on the seats? Teams better get ready for lots of blackout games in bad years because ardent individual fans will still attend a 2-14 season. Corporations won't. And the whole vibe of the stadium will be different as well. Two-thirds of the seats around us are corporate and they are largely unenthusiastic and ignorant. (I don't mean someone scamming the IRS by running his tickets through his company and then shows up every week but truly corporate owned seats where someone different shows up each week).

It really is a damn shame it has gotten to the point you are basically spending a pretty nice TV every time you take your family of four to the game.
And a large number of these supposed corporate seats are, I'm sure you've noticed, uninhabited during the games, since these mostly disinterested people are using the general facilities higher up to have their social gatherings to shoot the breeze concerning anything but the Texans, eat and drink.
Old 06-09-2012   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
And a large number of these supposed corporate seats are, I'm sure you've noticed, uninhabited during the games, since these mostly disinterested people are using the general facilities higher up to have their social gatherings to shoot the breeze concerning anything but the Texans, eat and drink.
You've been to our seats. For the most part the corporate people stay in them for most of the game. A good example would be the four seats to our right which are owned by Coca-Cola. What happens there is totally random. Many games it is a group that is "meh, what the hell free tickets." A lot of other times it is a group just there to be drunk and rowdy. I think it is a large part of the problem why we have problems with noise on offense. Seats which are handed out to clients and employees at random just aren't gong to provide the same knowledgeable interested fan base. I mean seriously, there was a guy last year who asked why they didn't put Rosenfels in instead of TJ.
Old 06-09-2012   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you see the comments at the bottom? One poster said that they had season tickets since the 40s and in order to keep their seats, they would have to pay over $300,000! Thats shameful.
Old 06-09-2012   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Did you see the comments at the bottom? One poster said that they had season tickets since the 40s and in order to keep their seats, they would have to pay over $300,000! Thats shameful.
$320,000 for four seats to be exact. 80,000 per seat is just absolutely insane. I hope they fail to sell these because if they are successful in extorting this money, bank on these prices to to be the norm at stadiums all over.
Old 06-10-2012   #7
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like PSL's the Texans charge for. Which is also the reason I don't own season tickets.

And everything is more expensive in Cali. A two bedroom 600 sqft house cost $300K there and here you will pay $30K.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2012   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Sounds like PSL's the Texans charge for. Which is also the reason I don't own season tickets.

And everything is more expensive in Cali. A two bedroom 600 sqft house cost $300K there and here you will pay $30K.
In northern California, a loaf of bread goes for about $3.75 in the grocery stores and $4.00 -$5.00 in bakeries/bread stores
Old 06-10-2012   #9
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
In northern California, a loaf of bread goes for about $3.75 in the grocery stores and $4.00 -$5.00 in bakeries/bread stores
And it's not much less up here... that's one thing I miss about Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

It's already happening here in Tampa. From what I am hearing the Bucs used to sell out all the time. Now that the economy is so bad here most can't afford the ridiculous amount of money you have to spend to go to a NFL game. So they get blacked out every home game which doesn't help anyone.

Personally, I think blacking out the game is counter productive to the teams and the NFL. I don't think that causes more people to go to the games. If anything, few get excited about the team because they are not seeing them on TV and will have no desire to go see them in person.

Case in point, since I moved here I started following and watching the Rays because they are on TV here. Because of watching them on TV I now have interest in going to see them live. If they were not televised here I would have no interest in going to one of their games.

The NFL seriously needs to reconsider their stupid blackout rules.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
It's already happening here in Tampa. From what I am hearing the Bucs used to sell out all the time. Now that the economy is so bad here most can't afford the ridiculous amount of money you have to spend to go to a NFL game. So they get blacked out every home game which doesn't help anyone.

Personally, I think blacking out the game is counter productive to the teams and the NFL. I don't think that causes more people to go to the games. If anything, few get excited about the team because they are not seeing them on TV and will have no desire to go see them in person.

Case in point, since I moved here I started following and watching the Rays because they are on TV here. Because of watching them on TV I now have interest in going to see them live. If they were not televised here I would have no interest in going to one of their games.

The NFL seriously needs to reconsider their stupid blackout rules.
I don't know how many games get blacked out, but does it happen all that often?

I would think that the NFL agrees with your point and almost uses the threat of a black out as a scare tactic. I could be wrong though as I have no clue about how often they actually do it.

Any jags fans here?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to hope that the old Oiler games would get backed out so I could watch them on TV.
Old 06-11-2012   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like some 49ers fans will be racing to sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket this year.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #14
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I literally live one mile from the new stadium. Since I'm a Texans fan, I could care less. I'm actually trying to convince the wife we should move.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

16 games in 2011. Keep in mind some games were "saved" from blackout by some entity buying out bulk tickets remaining prior to deadlines.

13 2011 NFL Blackouts to Date (December 12)......3 more making a total of 16 were to come before the end of the season

9/11 Lions at Bucs
9/25 49ers at Bengals
9/25 Falcons at Bucs
10/02 Dolphins at Chargers
10/02 Bills at Bengals
10/16 Colts at Bengals
10/16 Saints at Bucs
11/13 Texans at Bucs
11/27 Browns at Bengals
12/04 Panthers at Bucs
12/04 Titans at Bills
12/11 Texans at Bengals
12/11 Bills at Chargers

NFL Blackouts: 16 Games in 2011, NFL Cares 0
Old 06-11-2012   #16
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know how many games get blacked out, but does it happen all that often?

I would think that the NFL agrees with your point and almost uses the threat of a black out as a scare tactic. I could be wrong though as I have no clue about how often they actually do it.

Any jags fans here?
According to what Cloak posted below 5 Bucs games got blacked out. Surprisingly 0 Jags games were blacked out. I think the difference is the Jags buy out the remaining seats to get the games on TV and I was reading that the Glaziers (Bucs) refuse to do that. In 2010 every home Bucs game was blacked out.

BTW, buying the NFL Sunday Ticket doesn't help. My brother in law has the Sunday Ticket and the Bucs games are blacked out there too. However because we are more than an hour away from the stadium bars are allowed to air the games (go figure). So if I would have lived here last year I could have gone to a bar to watch the Texans at Bucs game.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #17
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Yep, football is beginning to price itself out of the market. When I was a kid, I dreamed about being a season ticket holder for the Oilers. My dad and I went to a few games and I loved the experience. I would always tell him the first big purchase I would make (after getting a job) would be season tickets.

When I was in college and grad school, I would make it a point to go to sportsbars every week to watch the Texans. Every year around Christmas, my dad and I would attend a Texans game together. The first game in the inaugural season against Tennessee cost us $35 a piece. The last game we went to (a couple of years ago against the Jags) cost us nearly $75 a piece.

Recently my dad asked me if I was going to get season tickets and I said nope. The tickets are far too expensive. I spent years watching the Texans on crummy bar tvs. I recently bought a 52 inch HD TV for my apartment and with the advent of really good broadcast signals the experience at home is fantastic. Obviously it is not as good, as being at the game, but for a fraction of the cost, its a pretty good substitute.

The NFL has to be careful. It was people like me who grew up wanting to be season ticket holders and now no longer think it is financially worthwhile.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #18
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
According to what Cloak posted below 5 Bucs games got blacked out. Surprisingly 0 Jags games were blacked out. I think the difference is the Jags buy out the remaining seats to get the games on TV and I was reading that the Glaziers (Bucs) refuse to do that. In 2010 every home Bucs game was blacked out.

BTW, buying the NFL Sunday Ticket doesn't help. My brother in law has the Sunday Ticket and the Bucs games are blacked out there too. However because we are more than an hour away from the stadium bars are allowed to air the games (go figure). So if I would have lived here last year I could have gone to a bar to watch the Texans at Bucs game.
And the funny thing is, by blacking out the signal, all the NFL is doing is forcing people to seek out pirated signals. If they allowed the bars to televise the game, they would probably make a decent amount of money of it. Sometimes the NFL is very penny-wise, pound -foolish.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
16 games in 2011. Keep in mind some games were "saved" from blackout by some entity buying out bulk tickets remaining prior to deadlines.

13 2011 NFL Blackouts to Date (December 12)......3 more making a total of 16 were to come before the end of the season

9/11 Lions at Bucs
9/25 49ers at Bengals
9/25 Falcons at Bucs
10/02 Dolphins at Chargers
10/02 Bills at Bengals
10/16 Colts at Bengals
10/16 Saints at Bucs
11/13 Texans at Bucs
11/27 Browns at Bengals
12/04 Panthers at Bucs
12/04 Titans at Bills
12/11 Texans at Bengals
12/11 Bills at Chargers

NFL Blackouts: 16 Games in 2011, NFL Cares 0
Wow, I was way off. I didn't realize it was that much. I guess they actually don't give a damn.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wow, I was way off. I didn't realize it was that much. I guess they actually don't give a damn.
That number would be two or three times higher but the NFL has a couple special provisions to avoid blackouts. They will extend the deadline for selling the tickets. Then I don't know the details but there is a way for the teams to dump tickets at something like 34 cents on the dollar in bulk.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read