Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-07-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lawrence Vickers shocked Texans let him go

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...voeQoiaKumEES4

Quote:
June, 7, 2012
Jun 7
2:10
PM CT
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Now that we've gotten over the ants-in-the-pants episode with Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers, we can focus on why the Cowboys signed him and the Houston Texans let him go.

Texans running back Arian Foster rushed for 1,224 yards and 10 touchdowns last season behind starting fullback Vickers. Foster had seven games with over 100 rushing yards and three games with 30 or more carries. Foster is an elite running back, having rushed for 2,840 yards with 26 touchdowns the last two seasons.

Vickers was released by Houston when the season was over. It was an interesting decision by the Texans, given they signed Vickers to a two-year deal after the 2010 season. But salary-cap concerns forced the franchise to make hard decisions, which also included letting star linebacker Mario Williams go in free agency.

"It was a shocker, I was shocked," Vickers said. "I was shocked. Then by Foster getting his (new) deal I would think thereís more reason you got somebody thatís going to protect him. I guess they just didnít value the position. I guess thatís what it is."

It's not like Vickers is a one-hit wonder, either. As Cleveland's fullback in 2010, he led the way for Peyton Hillis to rush for a career-high 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns.

But Vickers hit the free-agent market and signed with Houston for the two-year deal.

After 2011 ended, Vickers was placed on the open market and sought a team that valued the fullback position. Enter the Cowboys, who have always employed a fullback on the roster. When DeMarco Murray emerged as a talented force at running back last season, he praised the work of then-fullback Tony Fiammetta.

There was a thought Fiammetta would return to the Cowboys, but that changed when Vickers became available.

"That's why I'm here, because they value the position," Vickers said.

With Felix Jones, Phillip Tanner and Murray as the running backs, Vickers said he has to adjust his game for them and not the other way around. Developing a chemistry with the running back is key to any successful running game when a fullback is involved. Vickers said he has to see the holes just like the running back does, or create one when there's a wall.

"It's just the same approach, even if I was going to be with the same guy," Vickers said. "You approach it the same way, every year. So it never changes, always approach each year the same way as if weíre just meeting each other and we've got to get on the right page. Chemistry is a must, even being with somebody two or three years, chemistry is still the same. You're going to have different linemen and you're going to be going against different defenses (with) different things going on."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lawrence Vickers shocked Texans let him go

Leach was twice the blocker and could actually catch a pass and they let him go. What's shocking about the release of a FULLBACK who didn't run, didn't catch, wasn't a contributor to special teams and oh yeah wasn't like the greatest FB of all time?

I'll tell you, it shocked me when they didn't cut him the play after he dropped that TD.

Arian Foster has yet to be awesome because of the guy in front of him. We learned that because of Vickers' play. He was no Leach but Foster continued on.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #3
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

It shocks me that he doesn't understand "it's just a business," when they regurgitate that line all the time.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #4
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

It's because he got ants in his pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #5
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not surprised that they let him walk, but I am surprised that we lost a starting FB, 2nd string Tight End and we're counting on Casey to replace them both? I just figured we'd sign someone to fill the void of one of those guys leaving. Graham better be ready to step up this year, and if Casey gets hurt then we're screwed. The kid they're moving from defense isn't a viable option for giving us any PT this year.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ProFootballFocus 2011 ratings of FB for blocking:

1. Jed Collins
2. Vonta Leach

4. Lawrence Vickers

27. James Casey

...out of 29 total FBs who tooks at least 25% of their team's rush snaps. If you include all rush snaps, Vickers drops to ~12/55. Casey stays at the lows.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #7
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 58527 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Leach was twice the blocker and could actually catch a pass and they let him go. What's shocking about the release of a FULLBACK who didn't run, didn't catch, wasn't a contributor to special teams and oh yeah wasn't like the greatest FB of all time?

I'll tell you, it shocked me when they didn't cut him the play after he dropped that TD.

Arian Foster has yet to be awesome because of the guy in front of him. We learned that because of Vickers' play. He was no Leach but Foster continued on.
Yeah, no joke. I was at that game. I told my wife right then that that would bite us in the ass. It did.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2012   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah, no joke. I was at that game.
Wasn't just at that game, I thought for a split second that ball was being thrown to me. It was on a direct line to our seats.
Old 06-07-2012   #9
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year was all about getting over Leach and Vickers was just our rebound. I mean c'mon, the guy wasn't even good enough to play for Cleveland.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah, no joke. I was at that game. I told my wife right then that that would bite us in the ass. It did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wasn't just at that game, I thought for a split second that ball was being thrown to me. It was on a direct line to our seats.
Me too, except I was 2nd tier and on the other side of the field. I saw the play developing well before the defense caught on to the FB leak.

Clang Clang Clang with the trolly hands.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read