Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2012   #41
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 12626 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak criticizes Texans' practice effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That said, overpaying for fan favorites is pretty stupid.
So you're saying we're not getting David Anderson back?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #42
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Why I oughtta'......
It was the truth wasnt it ?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Actually, this is the first time I get the feeling he's using the media to talk to his team. That's never been his M.O. before.

But again, we're in uncharted waters, trying to follow up our most successful season to date with an equally successful, if not more successful, season.

I think this season is going to be one heck of a ride.
What??? Every year he sends subtle messages to the players via the media...ESPECIALLY during OTAs and camp.

Where've you been?
Old 06-08-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seriously.....
Quote:
The Man in Black
Truly you have a dizzying intellect

gotta have the pict to go with the quote, TK

I love that movie. Perfectly campy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
What??? Every year he sends subtle messages to the players via the media...ESPECIALLY during OTAs and camp.

Where've you been?
Every year, he tells us about what's going on in Camp..... they did this, we tried that.... they loafed a bit.... etc..

This is the first time I've heard him say, "I threw them a bone, they failed to meet my expectations, I will give them another shot tomorrow... "

He's called a player or two out, sort of, "He has to play big for us this year." " We expect him to take a big leap this year" that kind of thing.

But this is different. Subtle, but different.
Old 06-08-2012   #46
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every year, he tells us about what's going on in Camp..... they did this, we tried that.... they loafed a bit.... etc..

This is the first time I've heard him say, "I threw them a bone, they failed to meet my expectations, I will give them another shot tomorrow... "

He's called a player or two out, sort of, "He has to play big for us this year." " We expect him to take a big leap this year" that kind of thing.

So in your opinion what does it ultimately mean...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
So in your opinion what does it ultimately mean...
That he knows this is a different situation, that maybe it's time to try to get to the guys through another avenue....

A lot of people here are, "We were 'this' last year" or We had 'that' last year" "So we should be able to do....... 'x' this year"

& it just doesn't work this way. Gary Kubiak's biggest enemy this year is last years success.
Old 06-08-2012   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How is this different? LOL. You're pulling a Bill Clinton semantics on us here. "It depends on what "is" means..." -- Bill Clinton. Furthermore, when he says he'll give them another shot the next day,m it's not like anybody's getting cut and it's not like he's going to make them run to Pasadena and back in full pads. He's simply saying that, obviously, they get another shot to come out the next day and prove him wrong or they'll get another ass chewing from him.

He has chided them as a group, he has chided them individually. He has been subtle. he has been overtly open about his meaning/context.

It took me all of 20 seconds to search for it on Google and I'll post only one of about 2,000 examples that you and I, or anybody else for that matter, could find on this issue. The two quotes are at the end of this post.

Gary Kubiak has called players out, by name, and has said "He needs to get better" or "That kid is good, but he has trouble with consistency out there" I mean, seriously...it's not even up for debate. if anything, Gary has always been a bit grumpy in camp and OTAs. He uses his comments, every year, to motivate the guys individually and as a group.

Gary Kubiak has never been one to skirt the issue(s) of OTAs and camp, whether it is individual players or the group as a whole. I don't see anything different now compared to years' past. It's the same old schtick, different year.

Below are quotes from camp in 2010. He was all over Ben Tate's ass, trying to motivate him. Nothing subtle, and nothing new. Standard operating procedure, actually.

Quote:
(on if he’s happy with RB Ben Tate right now) “He’s up and down right now. He’s every bit the talent that we drafted. He’s learning to be a pro. He has to catch up because he missed a lot time because he missed OTAs. He needs to know to get his motor going when he leaves out of the locker room and not 30 minutes in to practice. He’s working and he’s giving us what he’s got. He could help this team if he continues to grow up.Ouch.
Quote:
(on the play of the defensive line during nine on nine running drills today in practice) “We were really slow to get it going this morning. I didn’t like our energy as a football team. We practiced better after we got going. We’ve been pretty consistent on defense. I’ve been telling you all that quite often through camp. Offensively we need to get more consistent in what we’re doing. It’s a good competition, good end of the practice. It was good competition at both sides of the ball.
Here's the link to Gary Kubiak making not-so-subtle hints at which players are needing to step up.
Old 06-08-2012   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

What happened is this:

1. Last week, the two kickers made kicks, which actually if we put it under scrutiny we find out that Graham missed a lot of kicks...so I don't know what standard Kubiak was using to measure what parameters guaranteed the players an afternoon off from the weight room, but oh well. He gave them an afternoon off. Good for them. The key here is that he rewarded them AFTER practice had concluded, not before practice had begun.

2, Gary then turns around a few days later and allows them to practice without helmets, and he gets angry about their tempo or their effort during that practice. The problem, IMO, is that he rewarded them before they did anything to earn it.

To me, I think Gary is more pissed off at himself for having rewarded them the second time and then it turns out they loafed on him as a result. Lesson to be learned is that you give the reward AFTER practice, not before practice begins.

Anybody here get a bonus at your workplace for a job you haven't done yet? Anybody here give your kid their allowance money BEFORE they did their chores? Rewards come after, not before. Seems to me like it's a basic, elementary function of the reward system. Gary ignored the way the system naturally works, and the result was predictable. Bet he doesn't do it again, though. LOL.

Gary's a good dad. He won't reward his kids too early the rest of the way.
Old 06-08-2012   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2, Gary then turns around a few days later and allows them to practice without helmets, and he gets angry about their tempo or their effort during that practice. The problem, IMO, is that he rewarded them before they did anything to earn it.
What makes you keep saying the reward was before? Why couldn't it have been for the performance up to that day? Is there a quote somewhere?
Old 06-08-2012   #51
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What happened is this:

1. Last week, the two kickers made kicks, which actually if we put it under scrutiny we find out that Graham missed a lot of kicks...so I don't know what standard Kubiak was using to measure what parameters guaranteed the players an afternoon off from the weight room, but oh well. He gave them an afternoon off. Good for them. The key here is that he rewarded them AFTER practice had concluded, not before practice had begun.

To me, I think Gary is more pissed off at himself for having rewarded them the second time and then it turns out they loafed on him as a result. Lesson to be learned is that you give the reward AFTER practice, not before practice begins.

Anybody here get a bonus at your workplace for a job you haven't done yet? Anybody here give your kid their allowance money BEFORE they did their chores? Rewards come after, not before. Seems to me like it's a basic, elementary function of the reward system. Gary ignored the way the system naturally works, and the result was predictable. Bet he doesn't do it again, though. LOL.

Gary's a good dad. He won't reward his kids too early the rest of the way.
What?

They were on week 3 of OTAs. The hottest day of OTAs they go without helmets and do a lot of new things they hadn't done the rest of OTAs at a very very fast pace, and Kubiak didn't how they responded and said so.

And then on the next super hot day at a very very fast tempo, they went without helmets and did better.

It is not a bfd.
Old 06-09-2012   #52
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
What?

They were on week 3 of OTAs. The hottest day of OTAs they go without helmets and do a lot of new things they hadn't done the rest of OTAs at a very very fast pace, and Kubiak didn't how they responded and said so.

And then on the next super hot day at a very very fast tempo, they went without helmets and did better.

It is not a bfd.
Well, not everybody gets to attend like you do. So to you, it's not a bfd...but to us, we just have nothing but each other to sit around and talk to.

So we argue, like guys like to do. It's for fun. We're bored.
Old 06-09-2012   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sooooo... is training camp going to be open to the fans as it usually is or what? I haven't seen a thing about how to get tickets or anything. Usually there's some info on the mothership site regarding how to sign up by now...

Did I miss a memo?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #54
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, not everybody gets to attend like you do. So to you, it's not a bfd...but to us, we just have nothing but each other to sit around and talk to.

So we argue, like guys like to do. It's for fun. We're bored.
Even if I wasn't there, I'd say it isn't a big deal because Kubiak says this sort of stuff every year. Just basic carrots sticks 101.

Personally, I do not like to argue for argument's sake. I like MB to find out what truths can be found from enthusiastic like-minded peoples.

Besides, I thought guys were not supposed to like to argue. That they didn't like silly drama and speculation based on little evidence. /wink
Old 06-09-2012   #55
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Sooooo... is training camp going to be open to the fans as it usually is or what? I haven't seen a thing about how to get tickets or anything. Usually there's some info on the mothership site regarding how to sign up by now...

Did I miss a memo?
Talked to a few people, they didn't have training camp info yet. I'm sure that some of training camp will be open to the public.
Old 06-09-2012   #56
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Did I miss a memo?
The open training camp practice schedule was announced in early July and late June for 2010 and 2009 respectively. Don't sweat it yet. Because of the lockout, I didn't bother to check when it was announced last year.

Old 06-09-2012   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary, these players were handpicked by Wade and you.

If they are showing lack of effort it's on you.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Besides, I thought guys were not supposed to like to argue. That they didn't like silly drama and speculation based on little evidence.
Whatever you do, don't venture into the NSZ.

I think TT can get a few more pages out of this incident, it being so pivotal & all.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gary Kubiak's biggest enemy this year is last years success.
See, I'm torn on that. I think a lot of the fans have these unreasonable expectations, but if im a member of that team I'm thinking: "what success?"

The fans are excited because we made it to the play offs for the first time and went toe to toe with baltimore without schaub. People figure we should be better this year, but every team in the NFL thinks they'll be better this year.

I just can't imagine a football team thinking like the fans do with regards to last years success.

I don't think this was a big deal at all, but its interesting to see peoples perspectives on kubiak saying this.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #60
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Gary, these players were handpicked by Wade and you.

If they are showing lack of effort it's on you.
Not sure I agree! All Wade and GK know about these players is what they see on film, saw at the combine, and what scouts tell them. They didn't LIVE with these guys for the past 21 years and know all their bad habits.. Sure, they need to be motivated, and that's Wades and GKs job, but, some "kids" just don't "get it" until it's to late. For instance: problems getting up early (not a morning person,) short attention spans, intolerance to the Houston heat, failure to STUDY the playbook, overall laziness, OCHO mentality, attitude that they got drafted so that's good enough, arrogance, bad habits they've lived with all their lives. If a player is showing "lack of effort" and they have been warned, NOTHING and NOONE can change them. That's not WP or GKs fault. JMO. They just can't know EVERYTHING about all these guys. That's what they have OTAs and TC for. LACK of EFFORT players can either get with the program or get cut. NO babysittin allowed!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read