Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2012   #1
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gary Kubiak criticizes Texans' practice effort

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ractice-effort

Quote:
ďI took their helmets off today and gave them a little bone, so to speak, and they didnít respond to it,Ē Kubiak said in a post-practice interview session. ďLast yearís team responded to it very well. This yearís team's first chance wasnít very good. I told them Iíll give them one more chance tomorrow and there wonít be any more (if itís not better).
Old 06-06-2012   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak criticizes Texans' practice effort

He let them go without helmets today, and wasn't satisfied with the way they responded to the reward.

Lesson to be learned: Don't give rewards out too early. Duh.

Kids will take a mile if you give them an inch, Gary.
Old 06-06-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a psychological ploy.
Old 06-06-2012   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Agreed, but a little foot in the ass never hurts once in a while.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would call it a poor decision on two accounts: 1. Rewarding them before they had accomplished something, then 2. getting onto them when they took the reward and ran with it..err, uh...walked with it.

He gave them an afternoon off from weights, IIRC, when the two field goal kickers made their kicks. Everyone cheered, rightfully so, and the reward came AFTER an accomplishment on the field. This time, he rewarded them up-front and then they dogged it a little...how else did he expect human nature to react to an up-front reward? LOL.

For the record, I don't think Kubiak is crazy or dumb. I think this particular idea of his ended up biting him in the ass and now he's biting them in the ass for it. All in all, he's at least saying "You aren't pulling anything over on me."

We have to remember he's got an all-rookie pool of WRs out there with AJ and Walter out, a second-year QB, a lot of youngsters on the OL too. He's making sure they all understand their place in the world.
Old 06-06-2012   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 165286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems like a "how mature are you guys?" measurement to me. If they pass muster, you're proud. If they fail, you got ammo to justify putting the boot up their backsides.

Parenting 101.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 232779 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

This could make or break the season.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2012   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 165286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #9
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 4027 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I would call it a poor decision on two accounts
Really? Just two?
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would call it a poor decision on two accounts: 1. Rewarding them before they had accomplished something, then 2. getting onto them when they took the reward and ran with it..err, uh...walked with it.

He gave them an afternoon off from weights, IIRC, when the two field goal kickers made their kicks. Everyone cheered, rightfully so, and the reward came AFTER an accomplishment on the field. This time, he rewarded them up-front and then they dogged it a little...how else did he expect human nature to react to an up-front reward? LOL.

For the record, I don't think Kubiak is crazy or dumb. I think this particular idea of his ended up biting him in the ass and now he's biting them in the ass for it. All in all, he's at least saying "You aren't pulling anything over on me."

We have to remember he's got an all-rookie pool of WRs out there with AJ and Walter out, a second-year QB, a lot of youngsters on the OL too. He's making sure they all understand their place in the world.
GP, taking this in the full context of what GK said I'm not so sure I follow. He did the same thing with last year's team and they responded well. These guys din't. Thus he challenged them again.

I wasn't in the locker room after practice so I have nothing concrete to base on, but my bet is that there was some missing buttock when the players left and they have one more opportunity to prove themselves or the kid gloves are off.

Reference the video TC posted prior.

Again, just a guess/hunch on my part. We'll see if it ends differently tomorrow.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
GP, taking this in the full context of what GK said I'm not so sure I follow. He did the same thing with last year's team and they responded well. These guys din't. Thus he challenged them again.

I wasn't in the locker room after practice so I have nothing concrete to base on, but my bet is that there was some missing buttock when the players left and they have one more opportunity to prove themselves or the kid gloves are off.

Again, just a guess/hunch on my part. We'll see if it ends differently tomorrow.
I like this from Gary actually. Get after their asses!!!
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I like this from Gary actually. Get after their asses!!!
Absolutely.... Expectations for this season are even higher than last year.
Old 06-06-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gp, the team is full of players that were here last year and apparently handled it well. And you're saying they didn't earn it and you have no idea what you're talking about.

He may have liked the way they had practiced in the days leading up to that day.

They may have done well in meetings. They could have just given extra effort for a practice prior.

Coaches do this stuff all the time. This is fairly insignificant at this point.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Gp, the team is full of players that were here last year and apparently handled it well. And you're saying they didn't earn it and you have no idea what you're talking about.

He may have liked the way they had practiced in the days leading up to that day.

They may have done well in meetings. They could have just given extra effort for a practice prior.

Coaches do this stuff all the time. This is fairly insignificant at this point.
Oh sure, I know full well it is insignificant at this point. But then again what else is there to talk about? I just found it amusing that he rewarded them and then they slacked up a little bit.

When I get rewarded, I tend to think (as most self-serving humans like me do) that it means I have done well enough to maybe slow down and enjoy life a bit more. Admittedly, we work our hardest when we think people are not pleased with us.

I was remarking how Gary was a bit put out with the guys dogging it out there...when in reality, it's freaking OTAs and really none of them need to be rewarded with anything other than proper amounts of drinking water and "good job, guys" from the coaches. If it's a long road to the Super Bowl, what is ANY coach doing with the mindset that OTAs are meant for taking a day off and hitting the paintball field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Well, I couldn't watch the video due to download problems. Will have to try again tonight.

I was going off the text of the quote, which sounded like Gary was shocked that the team isn't Super Bowl-ready right now in OTAs. My suggestion, since I am good at giving unsolicited advice free of charge to those who don't give a ****, is for Gary to stop rewarding and just GATA--Get After Their Asses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
LOL. Absolutely! Our future hinges on this!
Old 06-06-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Totally disagree, as a leader I have used same technique very successfully. Kubiak could care less about this incident. He will use it to remind them later that he tried to do right thing. "Look, I wanted to be nice to you guys but look how you acted way back in OTA's and you went sideways on me. Now the team will motivate itself. He just bound his players even tighter to him. Perfect psychological move.
Old 06-06-2012   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Totally disagree, as a leader I have used same technique very successfully. Kubiak could care less about this incident. He will use it to remind them later that he tried to do right thing. "Look, I wanted to be nice to you guys but look how you acted way back in OTA's and you went sideways on me. Now the team will motivate itself. He just bound his players even tighter to him. Perfect psychological move.
I don't think we disagree all that much, actually.

If anybody can spin things, it's Gary. He'll definitely leverage this incident to help the effort out somewhere down the line. He's had those guys stick it out through the lean years, which means he's got their loyalty, so I think we agree on that. I do.

I'm just saying that OTAs is a bit early for him to reward. He already gave them a reward a few days ago. I think rewards have to be used sparingly or you create a reward-heavy culture whereby it becomes expected that you're going to get rewarded for everything. Make it special. Make it count.
Old 06-06-2012   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a bfd.

They did a lot of different things today and a very very fast tempo. Few drills before they jumped right into two minute drill stuff. It was 86 degrees no wind a lot of young guys.

I'm guessing tomorrow's practice is better.
Old 06-06-2012   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

agree with he is making sure they know their place. I think with this early in the season. He wanted to see how the youngsters responded to some "easy time"

I also agree with TC it is no BFD this early in the season (technically) but I think he is sending a message to the youngsters to be ready when the hitting starts.like my dad says you practice how you are going to play.(granted OTA's cant have hitting...cough *seahawks* cough)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #19
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this strategy and am thinking about incorporating into my managerial style. He is saying you have to deserve any perk I provide you. I can take it away at any moment.

He can add additional perks, minor perks that he can keep in place on a permanent basis as long as the team shows a high level of energy. Further, it keeps the players accountable to each other to maintain that standard.

Contrast this to a single goal which creates a let up when achieved.
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
I just dont like Gary Kubiak , the man can win half a dozen Superbowls in a row and I'll still think he sucks.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read