Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012   #21
TexansFanatic
Extremist
 
TexansFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,192
Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Ray Lewis
Is it more reasonable to expect Cushing to succumb to the constant collisions and have a relatively short window of high-level play or to expect him to play at a nearly impossibly high-level for sixteen seasons like the absolute best inside linebacker in NFL history?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,057
Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Are there any mesenchymal stem cell treatments out there? Something that generates the chondroblasts and then cartilage in joints?
Stem cell therapy for cartilage damage and even arthritis is in ongoing research, more advanced in the UK and other European countries (that are less restrictive in research guidelines). It is promissing, however, very much in its infancy. One of the unexplained mysteries that have been encountered in this tool is that some subjects have a very response........and many others have none. Clinical trials are ongoing and are planned for the future to try to answer this and other questions.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #23
Nawzer
Alienz
 
Nawzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 32
Posts: 6,573
Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Stem cell therapy for cartilage damage and even arthritis is in ongoing research, more advanced in the UK and other European countries (that are less restrictive in research guidelines). It is promissing, however, very much in its infancy. One of the unexplained mysteries that have been encountered in this tool is that some subjects have a very response........and many others have none. Clinical trials are ongoing and are planned for the future to try to answer this and other questions.
I'm aware of the regulations on stem cell research here in the States! I was interested as an undergrad to pursue hematopoietic stem cell research due to their multipotent nature, but quickly realized the limitations of such a pursuit during that time. Can't say I made a bad choice working with bacteria though.

Genetic factors play a role in the varied response in patients. I know in the case of rheumatoid arthritis, it was long thought to be a result of normal wear and tear, but now there seems to be a genetic component to it. I don't know how this relates to Brian Cushing, but his knee issue is probably due to football related activity and although it might not be degenerative, you cannot make cartilage and once its gone its gone as far as I understand (lack of blood supply) and you would have to resort to cartilage repair. Hopefully all of this won't happen to Cushing but getting an MRI is not just for fun.
__________________
Fortune favors the brave NOT the stupid!
Nawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #24
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,057
Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I'm aware of the regulations on stem cell research here in the States! I was interested as an undergrad to pursue hematopoietic stem cell research due to their multipotent nature, but quickly realized the limitations of such a pursuit during that time. Can't say I made a bad choice working with bacteria though.

Genetic factors play a role in the varied response in patients. I know in the case of rheumatoid arthritis, it was long thought to be a result of normal wear and tear, but now there seems to be a genetic component to it. I don't know how this relates to Brian Cushing, but his knee issue is probably due to football related activity and although it might not be degenerative, you cannot make cartilage and once its gone its gone as far as I understand (lack of blood supply) and you would have to resort to cartilage repair. Hopefully all of this won't happen to Cushing but getting an MRI is not just for fun.
Even in an elite athlete with money not being an issue, an MRI is not casually obtained without history of acute injury, or significant chronic signs or symptoms. They are not obtained for a "fleeting" symptom "just to be careful." Cushing has evidently been dealing with (at least that is all we are told of his history) "soreness" in his knee during workouts throughout the offseason. "Pain," especially chronic pain, keep in mind is the body's way of telling you that there is damage somewhere. It may be such that it is not demonstrated on MRI....yet. He can obviously function pretty well at this point, and, hopefully, this will continue for many years. We will just have to wait and see how he does when the hitting begins and real knee "stressors" of a football season are unleashed.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #25
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,523
Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Even in an elite athlete with money not being an issue, an MRI is not casually obtained without history of acute injury, or significant chronic signs or symptoms. They are not obtained for a "fleeting" symptom "just to be careful." Cushing has evidently been dealing with (at least that is all we are told of his history) "soreness" in his knee during workouts throughout the offseason. "Pain," especially chronic pain, keep in mind is the body's way of telling you that there is damage somewhere. It may be such that it is not demonstrated on MRI....yet. He can obviously function pretty well at this point, and, hopefully, this will continue for many years. We will just have to wait and see how he does when the hitting begins and real knee "stressors" of a football season are unleashed.
Doc even if he has a somewhat healthy season, would it be smart to draft a replacement to train for that day when he cannot play well? His current contract ends after 2013 and his health may play a big role in re-signing him as it did with Mario and Demeco's move to Philly. Appreciate your thoughts.

Steve
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,057
Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Doc even if he has a somewhat healthy season, would it be smart to draft a replacement to train for that day when he cannot play well? His current contract ends after 2013 and his health may play a big role in re-signing him as it did with Mario and Demeco's move to Philly. Appreciate your thoughts.

Steve
As you point out, health many times determines what a team is willing to do when the time comes for a player to re-sign. Obviously, the closer you get to that date, the better idea you have concerning the player's condition and projection for further longevity. That said, it would be foolish not to at least have a backup on the roster (whether by graduation within the ranks, draft or FA) by the 2013 season that you would feel comfortable in subbing interchangeably with Cushing. In this scheme, the LBs, especially the ILBs will be exposed to an perpetual number of brutal contacts. Lineman experience contact on every play. But it is torque-based rather than velocity-based. The former is forceful, the latter is violent. I would have to say that after 5 years, there are more very good ILBs in a 3-4 that have shown significant downturn in there level of performance for whatever reason or have retired than those that maintain their 3rd year level of performance. Ray Lewis's (16 seasons,) Mike Singletary's (12 seasons), Jack Lambert's(11 seasons) and Dick Butkus's (9 seasons) don't grow on trees. Cushing has a long way to go to meet up with those players. It would be a nice surprise.........but, he still does have a very long hard journey ahead of him. Lewis once said, "My world is a violent world".............and, indeed, it is.......for him AND Cushing....................
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,343
Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
LB Brian Cushing (knee) returned to practice today. Kubiak: "He wanted to end the OTAs with having some work." #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger