Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2012   #1
TexanCR
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

I just heard that Cushing did not participate on today's OTA and he will have an MRI made, this is not good at all!

Anybody knows more about it?
TexanCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Brian Cushing getting an MRI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCR View Post
I just heard that Cushing did not participate on today's OTA and he will have an MRI made, this is not good at all!

Anybody knows more about it?
Hopefully it will be enough to keep him on the bench through the preseason so nothing too serious happens to him.
Old 06-04-2012   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Knee issues

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...i-on-his-knee/

Quote:
Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has had mild knee issues from time to time during his three NFL seasons. His knee is bothering him enough during offseason workouts to merit an MRI.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Monday that the team decided to take a loot at what is going on inside the joint.

“No, just his knee got sore on him; and I’m going to err on that side this time of year, so we sent him down for an MRI,” Kubiak said, via comments distributed by the team. ”He did come out and watch practice, and it gives some other guys a chance to get some reps.”

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a issue every single offseason... am I freaking out if I'm having flashbacks of DD's degenerative knee condition? This is a chronic issue and I smell a microfracture in Cushing's future
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #5
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I'll make my opinion once CND tells us what to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
I'll make my opinion once CND tells us what to think.
Tru dat.
and I ain't playin'
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Look in the OTA thread. CnD has been posting in there on this subject.
Old 06-04-2012   #8
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

This makes me nervous. The guy has battled nagging leg injuries since he was a rookie, hopefully its not results from you know what
Old 06-04-2012   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Thanks. I just checked. Doc brought up an ugly memory but one that could be pertinent.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
This makes me nervous. The guy has battled nagging leg injuries since he was a rookie, hopefully its not results from you know what
I know...Overtrained athletes syndrome is a killer!
Old 06-04-2012   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Linebackers, Linemen take a lot of blows to their legs (aka their knees).

Granted it's the offseason and we need some good fodder, but let's not overreact!! An MRI could simply be precautionary procedure. That said, Cushing is now a veteran and will be treated with "kit gloves", I don't think it's that big of a deal.

While Doc is spot on, there are cases where someone like me has bone on bone in my right knee, and YET I have cat like reflexes!!

Old 06-04-2012   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

For continuity's sake, I am reposting from the OTA thread.:

Hard to tell with so little info. But one thing that would come to mind, if it is his post surgical knee, is patella (knee cap) chondromalacia (softening of the cartilage on the back side of the patella. Before the surgery for a rupture of the patellar tendon, this area can be traumatized The longer the process of rupture developing and being recognized, the more potential trauma probable, since the patella would not move in a stable fashion over the knee joint, and therefore a grinding away of the cartilage of the back of the patella. Once the tendon is repaired, if it is a little to tight or a little too loose, some additional grinding can occur. Even if the tightness is just right following the surgery, it can theoretically loosen to lead to some instability and continue grinding. Then, of course, any previous grinding that has led to wear away of the cartilage can result in a late and chronic arthritis and its accompanying "soreness." Furthermore, the surgical incision itself can be sore for several years, especially if solidly or repeatedly hit.

Besides not being told which knee, we aren't told if there is swelling, redness or ROM (range of motion) problems. Another injury, in either knee, could have occurred somewhere along the line. We are told that this soreness has been noted throughout the offseason workouts. This could also be a result of the injury at the end of the season, where he was temporarily pulled with a "knee injury." Just too many potential variables and not enough details. Sorry. I can't respond in a more affirmative fashion.

BTW, I held back from initially putting forth the potential steroid question............because I was certain someone would bring it up.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #13
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Cush today walk out of the locker room since I had the chance to hangout today and he seemed fine. Walking around just fine and nobody in the locker room seemed concerned about Cush.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
BTW, I held back from initially putting forth the potential steroid question............because I was certain someone would bring it up.
But it is a valid concern, yes?

Frankly I was shocked to see Cushing play as well as he did last year --- and his play was nothing short of inspiring.

I would have been much less surprised to have seen him degrade into a less-than-stellar player and never return to his rookie form.

Unfortunately, I still have that nagging feeling that his brand of play --- sacrificing his body on every down --- means his career will be fleeting.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #15
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1876 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post

Frankly I was shocked to see Cushing play as well as he did last year --- and his play was nothing short of inspiring.

I would have been much less surprised to have seen him degrade into a less-than-stellar player and never return to his rookie form.

Unfortunately, I still have that nagging feeling that his brand of play --- sacrificing his body on every down --- means his career will be fleeting.
Ray Lewis
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak said Cushing's MRI on knee was fine.
LINK
Old 06-05-2012   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post

Yes.
Old 06-05-2012   #18
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
For continuity's sake, I am reposting from the OTA thread.:

Hard to tell with so little info. But one thing that would come to mind, if it is his post surgical knee, is patella (knee cap) chondromalacia (softening of the cartilage on the back side of the patella. Before the surgery for a rupture of the patellar tendon, this area can be traumatized The longer the process of rupture developing and being recognized, the more potential trauma probable, since the patella would not move in a stable fashion over the knee joint, and therefore a grinding away of the cartilage of the back of the patella. Once the tendon is repaired, if it is a little to tight or a little too loose, some additional grinding can occur. Even if the tightness is just right following the surgery, it can theoretically loosen to lead to some instability and continue grinding. Then, of course, any previous grinding that has led to wear away of the cartilage can result in a late and chronic arthritis and its accompanying "soreness." Furthermore, the surgical incision itself can be sore for several years, especially if solidly or repeatedly hit.

Besides not being told which knee, we aren't told if there is swelling, redness or ROM (range of motion) problems. Another injury, in either knee, could have occurred somewhere along the line. We are told that this soreness has been noted throughout the offseason workouts. This could also be a result of the injury at the end of the season, where he was temporarily pulled with a "knee injury." Just too many potential variables and not enough details. Sorry. I can't respond in a more affirmative fashion.

Are there any mesenchymal stem cell treatments out there? Something that generates the chondroblasts and then cartilage in joints?
Old 06-05-2012   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
While Doc is spot on, there are cases where someone like me has bone on bone in my right knee, and YET I have cat like reflexes!!
And cat is a euphemism for ....?

Old 06-05-2012   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Developing patellar chondromalacia may not show up on MRI. But its pain is still real if the condition is present.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read