Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-05-2012   #61
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans GM Emotionally Detached????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
You know me very well Marcus! BUT, my dislike for our GM started long before the Demeco trade. Yes, I still have the red-a*s over it, but, I'm adjusting. It's all good guys! I'm a big gal, I can take sarcasm! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. Just because I'm relatively OLD and a WOMAN does not mean I don't know or understand how this crazy business works. I also know my limitations. I adore ALL you guys who understand that and put up with me!!

As for being a sentimental old fool, yes, I am that, and not ashamed of it either. Heck, I still get emotional over some of the old Oiler clips. The last time I saw Earl Campbell, which was about 3 yrs ago, I broke down and wept like a baby. I saw a pic of Bum and JJ Watt the other day and wanted to reach out and give that man a hug!! I watch stuff like D. Carr jumping over the goal line at that Jags game, Aaron Glenn snagging an interception and taking it "to the house," Faggins standing on the rale pumping his fist in that red jersey, JJ (as in Jones) doing his THANG, and of course my all time FAVORITE, Billy Miller with his FIRST TD at the Hall of Fame game, and then topping it off with our first win over Dallas, and I smile like a moron on meth, and weep like I've won the flippin lotto! When I cease getting that excited about my team, then I will quit watching the game. I love the emotional attachment, and I don't care to ever give it up.
don't let 'em fool ya, ST... you're not the only one. We're ALL "emotionally attached"...
but don't take my word for it, wait until the season starts and watch the fireworks on the gameday threads
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #62
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I think fans might also be better off if they became more detached, towards Rick Smith.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #63
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, well, my history here has been one of ridiculing Kubiak and Smith both, and I'm not going to back away from history. For now, the posting of Smithiak hate from me is on hiatus because of the position the team currently is in. But make no mistake, I don't trust Smithiak a bit. I think Wade has as much to do with the success of this team as anything else.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #64
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
don't let 'em fool ya, ST... you're not the only one. We're ALL "emotionally attached"...
but don't take my word for it, wait until the season starts and watch the fireworks on the gameday threads
OH, I know how that goes! Having never missed a home game, I get the enjoyment of reading the gameday thread AFTER the fact, and it's always very entertaining! Truthfully, I think there are more "fights" on this MB than you ever see at Reliant! Fans love to hide behind their keyboard! Fact is, we are all passionate about our team or we wouldn't be HERE having this discussion during the off season. That's "emotional" IMHO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #65
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Right, but I don't believe they are so incompetent that they couldn't see the salary cap problems coming for a while. They could have cut/traded those guys a year earlier and opened up cap space. But I don't think they did because they saw them as valuable members of the team and they could afford them.

But when the time came for it, they made the tough decisions and let guys go.
Well as for recent history as in this last off season I would definitely agree that there was no emotional attachment. Looking at the entire picture, I'd say there was before. At least for now and the current future it seems like Smith may not have that same emotional attachment that many felt that he had before. Maybe he has learned and evolved. At least I hope that is the case.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #66
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well as for recent history as in this last off season I would definitely agree that there was no emotional attachment. Looking at the entire picture, I'd say there was before. At least for now and the current future it seems like Smith may not have that same emotional attachment that many felt that he had before. Maybe he has learned and evolved. At least I hope that is the case.
Damn Tex, isn't the proof in the puddin'?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #67
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Damn Tex, isn't the proof in the puddin'?
No it isn't. One off season doesn't prove anything to me. You show me several seasons or off seasons or what not, than I'd say the "proof is in the pudding." What many of you fail to remember is that Smithiak had a big reputation for coddling players and babying them before this off season. That was a stigma amongst many on this board and around Houston. You may not have thought so, but quite a few others including myself did.

One thing I've noticed is that so many people that thought one way before, totally flip their views and their objectives on things, because the Texans have one winning season. I don't do that. I want to see consistency of something, before I flip the switch like that.
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2012   #68
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No it isn't. One off season doesn't prove anything to me. You show me several seasons or off seasons or what not, than I'd say the "proof is in the pudding." What many of you fail to remember is that Smithiak had a big reputation for coddling players and babying them before this off season. That was a stigma amongst many on this board and around Houston. You may not have thought so, but quite a few others including myself did.

One thing I've noticed is that so many people that thought one way before, totally flip their views and their objectives on things, because the Texans have one winning season. I don't do that. I want to see consistency of something, before I flip the switch like that.
You mean people become happy when things get better, so they lay off the constant criticism? I don't consider that to be treason, Tex.

You and I both took down our Fire Kubiak sigs last season. Why? Why isn't yours still up and running, if you don't flip flop on issues? Look, I understand the angle you're taking...one good season doesn't outdo the previous mediocre ones. I agree.

But let's have a mediocre season and talk about it afterward. The tipping point was the off-season in 2011, IMO. Either it was a bit of a fluke or we turned that proverbial corner we sought after for so long.

I noticed on the Kelsay/Mario thread you have this same theme of "People loved Mario now they say they can't stand him...too much flip flopping!" stance. People supported him because of his jersey. He had plenty of critics, and he had a few loyalist fan boys and a few hardcore haters. But actually, the vast majority of fans were always virtually in the middle of the spectrum (all things considered) and the majority of fans didn't lose sleep at the prospect of him leaving. If he could stay and let others stay too, then fine...if not, then fine. But everyone knew he was leaving.

Upon leaving, Maria trashed us out. The backlash is due to him for his out-of-touch-with-reality perception that nobody liked him here. Yet he didn't stick around for reasonable money...so what's his gripe? If he loves his record-setting salary...no skin off our backs, so he just cannot expect us to take his twitter tongue lashing and say "May I have another, sir?!?!" My former players turn on me, I'll damn sure turn on THEM. I stay consistent on that topic, for sure.

If Schaub returns to form, which it sounds from TC's reports that he is looking great so far, and we have a better year vs. the injury bug...things should turn out well. I don't see us folding up like lawn chairs like we used to. Who gets the credit within the front office and the coaching staff is not my thang. My thang is I'm gonna enjoy the outcome 100% and hope we go farther and farther. As far as I am concerned, it's a team effort when we suck and it's a team effort when we get better.
Old 06-05-2012   #69
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You mean people become happy when things get better, so they lay off the constant criticism? I don't consider that to be treason, Tex.

You and I both took down our Fire Kubiak sigs last season. Why? Why isn't yours still up and running, if you don't flip flop on issues? Look, I understand the angle you're taking...one good season doesn't outdo the previous mediocre ones. I agree.

But let's have a mediocre season and talk about it afterward. The tipping point was the off-season in 2011, IMO. Either it was a bit of a fluke or we turned that proverbial corner we sought after for so long.

I noticed on the Kelsay/Mario thread you have this same theme of "People loved Mario now they say they can't stand him...too much flip flopping!" stance. People supported him because of his jersey. He had plenty of critics, and he had a few loyalist fan boys and a few hardcore haters. But actually, the vast majority of fans were always virtually in the middle of the spectrum (all things considered) and the majority of fans didn't lose sleep at the prospect of him leaving. If he could stay and let others stay too, then fine...if not, then fine. But everyone knew he was leaving.

Upon leaving, Maria trashed us out. The backlash is due to him for his out-of-touch-with-reality perception that nobody liked him here. Yet he didn't stick around for reasonable money...so what's his gripe? If he loves his record-setting salary...no skin off our backs, so he just cannot expect us to take his twitter tongue lashing and say "May I have another, sir?!?!" My former players turn on me, I'll damn sure turn on THEM. I stay consistent on that topic, for sure.

If Schaub returns to form, which it sounds from TC's reports that he is looking great so far, and we have a better year vs. the injury bug...things should turn out well. I don't see us folding up like lawn chairs like we used to. Who gets the credit within the front office and the coaching staff is not my thang. My thang is I'm gonna enjoy the outcome 100% and hope we go farther and farther. As far as I am concerned, it's a team effort when we suck and it's a team effort when we get better.
A much more succinct retort than I could have hoped to proffer GP, and spot on.

MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #70
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What many of you fail to remember is that Smithiak had a big reputation for coddling players and babying them before this off season. That was a stigma amongst many on this board and around Houston. You may not have thought so, but quite a few others including myself did.
Does this include asking Ahman Green if he was faking his injury?
Or singling out Ben Tate as a player he needs to tough it out and get on the field?
Or the Dunta Robinson situation?
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #71
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Or the Dunta Robinson situation?
Horrible player ... glad to see him go.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #72
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is similar to the case that people make about Kubiak "being soft".... "being a players coach", Kubiak having "no fire or passion"...... See the NFL video on Arian Foster...

Hey Tex, maybe you should re-evaluate your off-season...

This just in Bro.... You don't know everything about everything!!

Peace Bro!!

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 06-05-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Dumbass misspelling of Fosters name!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #73
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

The discussion is about Smith and whether he was detached from emotions with certain players. I don't see why his entire history is something that should be dismissed instead of just his recent history. That is what this discussion is about.

Quote:
There were threads going on for months on how incredible Mario was to this franchise and why he needed to be resigned. The minute that it was apparent that he wasn't going to many of those same folks totally flipped everything around. I wasn't surprised. This seems to be a common theme at times. If you had a question about this, you should have discussed it in the thread. But for the record it does look silly when a person is propped up on a pedastool and then dropped the minute they leave for a lot more money and a great opportunity.

Quote:
That is all very possible. I think the defense will be good enough to carry even a poor offense if that becomes the case. We'll wait and see. I feel really good about our chances if Schaub is healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
This is similar to the case that people make about Kubiak "being soft".... "being a players coach", Kubiak having "no fire or passion"...... See the NFL video on Arian Foster...

Hey Tex, maybe you should re-evaluate your off-season...

This just in Bro.... You don't know everything about everything!!

Peace Bro!!
Opinions that interfere with yours? This is non responsive Bill. Either explain your position or don't bother.
Old 06-06-2012   #74
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What many of you fail to remember is that Smithiak had a big reputation for coddling players and babying them before this off season. That was a stigma amongst many on this board and around Houston. You may not have thought so, but quite a few others including myself did.
Quote:
Opinions that interfere with yours? This is non responsive Bill. Either explain your position or don't bother.
Stigma. Interesting choice of words. I think conjecture would be a better one although I certainly remember that conjecture. I also remember pointing it out as such back to the Sage Rosenfels asking for a panty shield days.

Similarly I think this Smithiak suddenly became Darth Vader stuff is bunk which is mainly fan past perceptions tinted by lack of success contrasted with fan perceptions based on last season's success.

I think Bill's contrast with fan perception of Kubiak is apt. Fan conjecture doesn't equal truth.
Old 06-06-2012   #75
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know if "coddling" is the correct term but Kubiak has always had his "pets". Still does. See Trindon Holliday. Hurt his first year. Really didn't contribute last year. And he's getting a third T/C to make the team... Really?

And John Beck. Something tells me he's a tad more than just a camp arm. He's this year's Matt Leinart; someone other teams have written off but Kubiak is gonna give him a shot to beat out Yates. ...or at least put enough snaps on film to show other teams he'd make a decent backup when the cuts start. But I wouldn't be surprised if we carry three QBs into the season and try to stash Keenum on the P/S.

Of course, I reserve the right to completely flip-flop on this QB prediction after I see who gets the quality snaps during the first two or three preseason games.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #76
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The discussion is about Smith and whether he was detached from emotions with certain players. I don't see why his entire history is something that should be dismissed instead of just his recent history. That is what this discussion is about.
I took from the article/quotes that Rick Smith said he has grown to a level of being a bit detached from emotions. It's been a process. I even think Bob McNair has had to find an inner resolve to detach a bit, as well.

There was a time when we reached for raw players like Amobi and Jacoby, and that came crashing down to the point that both guys are gone and our most recent draft saw no such surprises. They've abandoned a strategy that was part of their "old history."

They also, a bit further back, were not opposed to acquiring the Todd Wades, and the Eric Moulds, and the Ahman Greens of the NFL--the "One Last Payday" crew. This old history, as well, was tanked when McNair and Smith boldly announced that the Texans would no longer be a welcome harbor for aging vets looking for a final payday somewhere.

Another departure from their history is the recent actions of cutting Winston, trading DeMeco, and letting Mario walk completely away. That's not the Texans I knew! The Texans I knew would have kept Winston and Ryans out of pure sentimental reasons. There's nothing like having your back against a wall (cap space) to make you depart from your own history of how we do things. This was not mismanagement of cap space, either, IMO, it was a playoff push mindset in 2011 that was made earlier in 2011 and they waited to pay the bill when it came due in this off-season.

Nobody would have expected the Texans to cut Winston. Nobody would have expected us to trade DeMeco. The half-hearted and maybe even "paltry" offer they made Mario was another sign of how the times are a'changing.

I am definitely including their full history. The recent history looks a lot better than their prior history. And if recent history continues to pay dividends, then they will continue to do business in that "new history" manner until something forces them to change tactics. All in all, we're in the best shape in franchise history...I just think we're so accustomed to being mediocre that we find ourselves distrustful of each new year that greets us.

Quote:
There were threads going on for months on how incredible Mario was to this franchise and why he needed to be resigned. The minute that it was apparent that he wasn't going to many of those same folks totally flipped everything around. I wasn't surprised. This seems to be a common theme at times. If you had a question about this, you should have discussed it in the thread. But for the record it does look silly when a person is propped up on a pedastool and then dropped the minute they leave for a lot more money and a great opportunity.
Hang on a sec, I still maintain that there was nowhere near the level of Mario Love that you're projecting here. And I won't go and research it either...hell, it takes long enough for me to write my own thoughts on topics, let alone research thousands of posts and do an essay on it. And nobody wants me to, either. I'm thinking about asking for the Dragon talk-to-text software because my posts are so long. LOL.

The point here is that people saw a bit of talent in Mario that made it nonsense to dismiss the guy completely. His value to this team was that he was probably the most talented guy on what had been a really bad defense for a really long time. He was the star on a sub-standard defense, he made his sacks and he made his run tackles, etc., and there's no way we could lump him in with guys like Travis Johnson and Amobi Okoye. He was, IMO, a sort of stabilizer and not a game changing force on a consistent basis. When we paid him chump change compared to what a Houston texans-Reggie Bush would have looked like, everybody should have known that he was going to play that contract out and IF he survived the MW-VY-RB nuclear war then Mario was going to make sure he got rewarded handsomely for it.

Nobody here felt he was worth his asking price, but IF he could stay then that would be fine. The battle lines I think you are referring to, IMO, exist between the small faction of Mario Lovers and Mario Haters who took an extreme partisan slant on the issue. The majority of people here, from what I gathered in looking at the threads AND participating in the threads too, felt that while he was valued he shouldn't be THE guy on what has become a defense of collective ass-kickers. I don't see that situation containing much flip-flopping, actually. If a few posters reversed their position, then so what? But it's definitely not like everyone rooted for the Confederacy one day and then welcomed the Union forces with open arms the next. Not the way I remember it, at least.
Old 06-06-2012   #77
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I took from the article/quotes that Rick Smith said he has grown to a level of being a bit detached from emotions. It's been a process. I even think Bob McNair has had to find an inner resolve to detach a bit, as well.

There was a time when we reached for raw players like Amobi and Jacoby, and that came crashing down to the point that both guys are gone and our most recent draft saw no such surprises. They've abandoned a strategy that was part of their "old history."

They also, a bit further back, were not opposed to acquiring the Todd Wades, and the Eric Moulds, and the Ahman Greens of the NFL--the "One Last Payday" crew. This old history, as well, was tanked when McNair and Smith boldly announced that the Texans would no longer be a welcome harbor for aging vets looking for a final payday somewhere.

That may or may not be the case. Only time will tell from this point forward. I hope that you're right, but I look at an entire picture of history instead of just the recent history that seems a bit better.

Quote:
Another departure from their history is the recent actions of cutting Winston, trading DeMeco, and letting Mario walk completely away. That's not the Texans I knew! The Texans I knew would have kept Winston and Ryans out of pure sentimental reasons. There's nothing like having your back against a wall (cap space) to make you depart from your own history of how we do things. This was not mismanagement of cap space, either, IMO, it was a playoff push mindset in 2011 that was made earlier in 2011 and they waited to pay the bill when it came due in this off-season.

Nobody would have expected the Texans to cut Winston. Nobody would have expected us to trade DeMeco. The half-hearted and maybe even "paltry" offer they made Mario was another sign of how the times are a'changing.
Yes, these are strong signs that the emotional attachment may not be there as many believed it was before. But again, I'd like to see some consistency of several years to believe that this has happened in full.

Quote:
I am definitely including their full history. The recent history looks a lot better than their prior history. And if recent history continues to pay dividends, then they will continue to do business in that "new history" manner until something forces them to change tactics. All in all, we're in the best shape in franchise history...I just think we're so accustomed to being mediocre that we find ourselves distrustful of each new year that greets us.
Well sure. When you look back on the history of how Bob has handled this franchise and how Smithiak has in their first 5 or 6 seasons, it's only natural to remain skeptical and a little distrustful. They're having to earn back that trust from fans that don't just buy in because they want to believe in something or because they root for a team. You look at some of the epic failures that took place early on for several years, than you've got to understand some of the skepticism when it comes to subjects like these regarding management. Show me a consistent level of these practices, than myself and others will probably gain more confidence in what management says or in what their actions are.

Quote:
Hang on a sec, I still maintain that there was nowhere near the level of Mario Love that you're projecting here. And I won't go and research it either...hell, it takes long enough for me to write my own thoughts on topics, let alone research thousands of posts and do an essay on it. And nobody wants me to, either. I'm thinking about asking for the Dragon talk-to-text software because my posts are so long. LOL.

The point here is that people saw a bit of talent in Mario that made it nonsense to dismiss the guy completely. His value to this team was that he was probably the most talented guy on what had been a really bad defense for a really long time. He was the star on a sub-standard defense, he made his sacks and he made his run tackles, etc., and there's no way we could lump him in with guys like Travis Johnson and Amobi Okoye. He was, IMO, a sort of stabilizer and not a game changing force on a consistent basis. When we paid him chump change compared to what a Houston texans-Reggie Bush would have looked like, everybody should have known that he was going to play that contract out and IF he survived the MW-VY-RB nuclear war then Mario was going to make sure he got rewarded handsomely for it.

Nobody here felt he was worth his asking price, but IF he could stay then that would be fine. The battle lines I think you are referring to, IMO, exist between the small faction of Mario Lovers and Mario Haters who took an extreme partisan slant on the issue. The majority of people here, from what I gathered in looking at the threads AND participating in the threads too, felt that while he was valued he shouldn't be THE guy on what has become a defense of collective ass-kickers. I don't see that situation containing much flip-flopping, actually. If a few posters reversed their position, then so what? But it's definitely not like everyone rooted for the Confederacy one day and then welcomed the Union forces with open arms the next. Not the way I remember it, at least.

Oh there was a ton of smuckness behind Mario Williams for years. Hell, you'd get chastised by many for calling the guy overrated or not as good as advertised. He never was as good as advertised and I never saw it being that likely that he'd resign here considering what he'd get somewhere else on the open market. Sorry, but when I see people clearly overrating a guy and embellishing their value for months while demolishing people who want him gone, only to turn around and act like the guy wasn't that good any way, well it does come off as pretty fraud. You can't act like a guy is so great and valuable, and than turn right around and change that whole stance the minute he is gone and expect to sound like a valid observer. That's like me going on and on about some hot chick and how badly I want to be with her, and than the minute she disses me, I act like she is ugly or something. And people did want to pay practically whatever for Mario. Maybe they didn't realize how high it was going to be and didn't have a strong awareness of what Mario would get from other teams, but Dale gave many illustrations of what he would cost for months. Either way, he is gone and I am glad. He was over paid here and I think that Mercilious is going to be a more impactful player.
Old 06-06-2012   #78
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Stigma. Interesting choice of words. I think conjecture would be a better one although I certainly remember that conjecture. I also remember pointing it out as such back to the Sage Rosenfels asking for a panty shield days.

Similarly I think this Smithiak suddenly became Darth Vader stuff is bunk which is mainly fan past perceptions tinted by lack of success contrasted with fan perceptions based on last season's success.
Sure, it's all fan perception at the end of the day, but it gets derived based off of actions or lack there of by management depending on the situations with different players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think Bill's contrast with fan perception of Kubiak is apt. Fan conjecture doesn't equal truth.
Your post pretty much explains it from one side or the other as far as fan perception goes. Bill's post was a typical "drive by" post without any substance towards the discussion.
Old 06-06-2012   #79
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Our cap casualties next year will certainly be Wade Smith and Antonio Smith as I don't believe either of them will warrant their scheduled salaries
Wade Smith will only make $3 million next year. If he's not capable of starting, yes he will get cut. But if he can still start, then $3 million is a pretty good deal. Antonio will make $6 million. That needs to get reduced or removed but at 31, Antonio might be willing to take the $6 million as a bonus and take a vet minimum salary deal for 2013. A that point, you just revisit the deal in 2014.
Old 06-06-2012   #80
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Wade Smith will only make $3 million next year. If he's not capable of starting, yes he will get cut. But if he can still start, then $3 million is a pretty good deal. Antonio will make $6 million. That needs to get reduced or removed but at 31, Antonio might be willing to take the $6 million as a bonus and take a vet minimum salary deal for 2013. A that point, you just revisit the deal in 2014.
Oh I don't see Antonio Smith going for anything but the BEST he can get. He is way too intense of a personality to take a bonus and then play for a low salary. He'll still think he's being slighted. He is a 100%'er...he thinks if HE gives 100% then the organization better give that 100% right back. I love the guy's effort out there, I truly think he's a role model for the players on defense, but he will not take kindly to getting bonus'd and then playing for a small salary, IMO.

No, I think Antonio Smith and Wade Smith are likely going to be gone. With the way Wade Phillips is expertly throwing together the DL and LB crews...there's a DL guy out there just waiting to become Antonio's replacement....for a rookie's salary that stretches over four years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read