Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2012   #21
BaylorTXN
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 BaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respectedBaylorTXN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans GM Emotionally Detached????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Who cares? He hasn't done squat for this team since he's been here anyway.. IMHO. SURE, we went to the playoffs for the first time last year, but, how much did RS really have to do with that?! Nearly EVERYONE on this board has given Wade the credit for that!!

You guys can delude yourselves all you want about that man. We would NOT have been in cap hell in the first place if it wasn't for him, so, using that as an excuse for the stup*d moves he's made this off season is just lubicrous! JMO! I have zero faith in his ability as a GM. ZERO!!!! Wish he was GONE!!!
You're right! JoJo, Manning, and Foster were horrible signings that cost us our entire future as a relevant franchise. Fire him now! Seriously? He's had his helping of poor signings, but come on. JMHO.
BaylorTXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #22
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Chris Brown was here for a short amount of time...I'm not even sure what your point is with him. Green was signed to a big contract and we didn't have a lot of options at that time. Jacoby was kubiak's project and they wanted to give him time to develop. Everyone hires coaches they are familiar with. That's not an example of anything.
Those were all decisions that a GM okays. Whether you want to believe that or not is your perogative. Those were all mistake players who the GM decided to sign and keep on the team after poor play in their first season which hurt the team later and became a problem cost games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This off-season they cut ties with Jacoby, Demeco and Winston. Mario went elsewhere Briesel went elsewhere. Those guys were a big part of this team. That's emotional detachment.
Yes he did. That doesn't erase other history as I documented. He also had to make some of those decisions due to a lack of cap room.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #23
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

“One important thing I’ve learned is when your core changes, you’ve got to be willing to change your philosophy too,” Smith tells Peter King of SI.com.

I imagine his philosophy changed when he saw what a new DC could do without two fan-favorite cornerstones on the defense, and what Kubiak did without Schaub. Five years of one philosophy goes out the window when you see that it contributed little to your first playoff breaching season.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
“One important thing I’ve learned is when your core changes, you’ve got to be willing to change your philosophy too,” Smith tells Peter King of SI.com.

I imagine his philosophy changed when he saw what a new DC could do without two fan-favorite cornerstones on the defense, and what Kubiak did without Schaub. Five years of one philosophy goes out the window when you see that it contributed little to your first playoff breaching season.
or he drafted DeMeco and Williams for the 4-3 defense they couldn't make work...so he can live with a better defense of players that Wade picked for him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #25
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
My theory on this is..hes front loaded a butt ton of contracts so he can pay DBrown, BCushing, CBarwin when their contracts come up..
Umm, who exactly did he frontload? We had Mario's 18 mill come of the books this year and still were in a cap crunch. Next year, we will have Demeco's 9 mill off the books, but Andre's cap number is going to be about 6 million higher because of his 2011 restructure. Most of our big guys have salary structures that escalate each year for the next few years, which means we will likely need to cut guys to give Schaub, Barwin and Brown decent contracts.

Our cap casualties next year will certainly be Wade Smith and Antonio Smith as I don't believe either of them will warrant their scheduled salaries. Others may be Owen Daniels and Kevin Walter, depending on their 2012 production. We are still going to have cap issues next year, LTs, OLBs and QBs are 3 of the highest paid positions in football and we need to lock up two at least of them. I'm thinking at this point, that Barwin may be the odd man out of that bunch if Mercilus shows enough potential.
Old 06-04-2012   #26
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

This is a possibility. I could only hope that would be the case considering the success that Wade had with this defense. Only time will tell.
Old 06-04-2012   #27
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
But for the most part you're right. 47-49 is what it is. People can chop those numbers up however they want from season to season, but this team has made it to one post season out of six. Those are horrible numbers.
I think it speaks to the lack of parity in the AFC. Or at least a parity among the Have-Nots. In the last six years, there are six teams that have taken almost 75% of the playoff spots:

Colts (5)
Patriots (5)
Ravens (5)
Steelers (4)
Chargers (4)
Jets (3) (not really consistent at 50%, but the only team with three appearances in the last six years)

So take the remaining 10 teams for a total of 10 playoff spots in the last six years. And only 3 have not made the playoffs in that timeframe:

Bills
Browns
Raiders

That leaves seven teams that have been only once or twice during the time when the Big 6 have been dominating the conference:

Chiefs (2)
Titans (2)
Bengals (2)
Jaguars (1)
Dolphins (1)
Broncos (1)
Texans (1)

Unless you're the GM for one four big market NE teams, had The Forehead or played in the weak AFC West, you're seeing the same results as RS.

Not saying that he is a great GM or defending him in any way. Just pointing out with all the parity talk in the NFL compared to the other leagues, it is still just a handful of GM's that are winning and going to the playoffs consistently.

I'm pretty sure that most of these other franchises were Playoff/Super Bowl successful before RS came into his GM position with the Texans.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2012   #28
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a possibility. I could only hope that would be the case considering the success that Wade had with this defense. Only time will tell.
The great thing about Wade being here? The vast improvement on defense.

The bad (and will probably get worse) thing about Wade being here? The Smithiak haters will attribute any and all success for this team to Wade and Wade alone.

This team could win a Super Bowl and some people on this forum would want Gary fired and The Chin brought in.
Old 06-04-2012   #29
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Umm, who exactly did he frontload? We had Mario's 18 mill come of the books this year and still were in a cap crunch. Next year, we will have Demeco's 9 mill off the books, but Andre's cap number is going to be about 6 million higher because of his 2011 restructure. Most of our big guys have salary structures that escalate each year for the next few years, which means we will likely need to cut guys to give Schaub, Barwin and Brown decent contracts.

Our cap casualties next year will certainly be Wade Smith and Antonio Smith as I don't believe either of them will warrant their scheduled salaries. Others may be Owen Daniels and Kevin Walter, depending on their 2012 production. We are still going to have cap issues next year, LTs, OLBs and QBs are 3 of the highest paid positions in football and we need to lock up two at least of them. I'm thinking at this point, that Barwin may be the odd man out of that bunch if Mercilus shows enough potential.
AF is getting paid like 18m this year, no?

Foster, who made $525,000 in 2011, will make $18 million this season and $30 million in first three years of deal.

That's all i based my theory on. I don't like looking into contracts and I don't really trust Spotrac, especially with all the adjustments made. IIRC, Johnson, JJo, and a few others have already tweaked their contract. Will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by Section516; 06-04-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added restructering.
Section516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #30
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
The great thing about Wade being here? The vast improvement on defense.

The bad (and will probably get worse) thing about Wade being here? The Smithiak haters will attribute any and all success for this team to Wade and Wade alone.

This team could win a Super Bowl and some people on this forum would want Gary fired and The Chin brought in.
If we were beating teams mainly on defense while the offense struggled really badly and was under achieving, than yeah I might be one of those people. It would really depend on the circumstances with injuries and what not. I couldn't forsee that really happening though with one of Gary's offenses considering the weapons we have.
Old 06-04-2012   #31
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree with GM need to get rid of old name players if there not livin upto par but other then last year RICK has never done this LOL

i cant prob pull up a dozen of players from 05-10 that had over stayed there welcome here like one off the top of my head

Armaren Green RB
Faggins CB
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #32
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
AF is getting paid like 18m this year, no?

Foster, who made $525,000 in 2011, will make $18 million this season and $30 million in first three years of deal.

That's all i based my theory on. I don't like looking into contracts and I don't really trust Spotrac, especially with all the adjustments made. IIRC, Johnson, JJo, and a few others have already tweaked their contract. Will just have to wait and see.
Well, it doesn't really work like that. He gets a salary of 5.5 million this year, and a 12.5mill signing bonus. So while he makes about 18 mill this year, the cap hit is only the salary of 5.5 mill + 2.5 mill in signing bonus = 8 mill this year. His contract escalates each year, so in the final year he's scheduled to make 9 mill. http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/hou/texans

AJ restructured his deal, which actually doesn't frontload, it backloads the deal over time. It relieves cap space for that year, but pushes that money into later years, thus imbalancing the deal down the road. AJ's deal is ridiculous money now, and guarantees he will be high paid for much longer than he probably should be.

JJo never restructured as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it's not even an option for him because that was the first year of his deal. Antonio Smith and Demeco reportedly restructured their deals so we could sign JJo and Manning. It had to be done in order to sign them, which also goes to show how poorly the cap was managed even in 2011.

Everything that I have seen about Smith shows that he likes to backload deals, and that's why our cap is a mess right now. He gives signing bonuses to guys like Manning, Smith and even freaking Lawrence Vickers, which makes it costly to cut them when the time comes. He wasted the perfect time to frontload deals in the cap-free year, when we resigned guys like AJ and Demeco. If he had been smart and followed the trend of about 15-20 other teams, he would have given guaranteed money as a roster bonus in 2010 instead of prorating it out through signing bonuses. That would have put us in a great position today. Instead we missed out on about 20+ million in free capspace and have lost players due to capspace as a result.
Old 06-04-2012   #33
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well, it doesn't really work like that.
Hmm. You're probably right. Like i said, contracts bore me.

Although, Don't we have some cap guru person? Think Olson?
Old 06-04-2012   #34
sandman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i agree with GM need to get rid of old name players if there not livin upto par but other then last year RICK has never done this LOL

i cant prob pull up a dozen of players from 05-10 that had over stayed there welcome here like one off the top of my head

Armaren Green RB
Faggins CB
Interesting that you chose RB and CB for your example, which during that timeframe were the poster children positions for lack of talent. There wasn't exactly "next man up" to step in and take their places and do any better.
Old 06-04-2012   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I disagree with the emotional detachment thing when you consider guys like Chris Brown the RB, Jacoby Jones, Amaan Green, Kubiak, and some of the defensive coaches that were hired before Wade was.
I also disagree with the emotionally detached thing when it comes to letting guys go like Jacoby, Mario, Winston, Demeco, and Dressen.

If not for the salary cap, those guys would most likely still be here.... maybe not Jacoby.

I do agree, that a GM should be emotionally detached, but keeping those guys would not have been for emotion only.

It just makes too much sense to me, to keep Demeco. If Cushing is a better fit for a 3-4 MLB, that's great. But if something were to happen to him, I'd feel much better about moving Demeco over into his spot & filling in with Sharpton or whoever at the other ILB.

I'd feel much better with Winston starting the season on the team in-case Butler isn't all that I remembered him to be, or still requires some pushing. Or if Brisiel's replacement makes it tougher for him.

I'd feel much better with Mario starting at WOLB & Reed & Whitney coming off the bench.

It's not about emotions, this is a deeper team with those guys than it is without & 16 games (19 really) is a long time.
Old 06-04-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those were all decisions that a GM okays. Whether you want to believe that or not is your perogative. Those were all mistake players who the GM decided to sign and keep on the team after poor play in their first season which hurt the team later and became a problem cost games.

I wouldn't say the GM should "ok" those decisions, but he should do a better job of bringing better talent in.

We were in cap hell when he got here though so..... who knows.

Next year will be the kicker. If win another play-off game next year & RS can't get sign us a decent FA at a position of need (provided there is one out there to fill the need that is).... then I'm with SheTexan
Old 06-04-2012   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I really want to like our players. I really, really want to see said players produce up to their contracts.
Old 06-04-2012   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I really want to like our players. I really, really want to see said players produce up to their contracts.
I'm just saying.... with those guys we let go, a healthy Schaub & Andre.... we're easily favored to make it to the AFC Championship game.. or at least one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

Now we've got dang near a new team & unless you've got a lot of faith in Gary Kubiak, we're only slight favorites to win the division.
Old 06-04-2012   #39
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm just saying.... with those guys we let go, a healthy Schaub & Andre.... we're easily favored to make it to the AFC Championship game.. or at least one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

Now we've got dang near a new team & unless you've got a lot of faith in Gary Kubiak, we're only slight favorites to win the division.
BS many non texans fans have called us super bowl contenders even favorites.
We do not have a new team as you say. We lost a backup corner two down linebacker a guy who played 5 games a fullback a backup QB an awful WR and two good olinemen. Also since the ZBS is known for finding good players in later rounds Im not worried. Example: 1st round Duane Brown. 2nd: none. 3rd:Wade Smith 4th none 5th:none 6th: Chris Myers 7th None undrafted Mike Brisiel. So really Bandon Brooks should be as good as Wade smith and Winston.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #40
sandman
Veteran

Quote:
I also disagree with the emotionally detached thing when it comes to letting guys go like Jacoby, Mario, Winston, Demeco, and Dressen.

If not for the salary cap, those guys would most likely still be here.... maybe not Jacoby. .
You rebutted yourself. If you know about the realities of the cap, then playing 'what if' is a moot point. They couldn't keep everyone. A team has success and individual players look to parlay that into something better. It's business on both ends.

Quote:
It just makes too much sense to me, to keep Demeco. If Cushing is a better fit for a 3-4 MLB, that's great. But if something were to happen to him, I'd feel much better about moving Demeco over into his spot & filling in with Sharpton or whoever at the other ILB.
Wade doesn't agree with you. Otherwise, Ryans would still be here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read