Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2012   #21
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derrick Ward gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
1. Foster
2. Tate
3. Doesnt matter ...

Quote:
1. Foster
2. Tate
3. Armageddon Starts (about as predictable as injury)

Just run with the two studs and put in whoever behind them to give them some rest, as for injury ... we cross that bridge when we get there
It matters man, you have to plan ahead. We are just one injury away from Ward, Forsett, or the #3 from being the #2. And with this team's injury history I think your statement is too bold to say #3 doesn't matter. The teams that win in December and January are the ones with the best depth.
Old 06-03-2012   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

To bad, I always liked Ward. I wish him well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #23
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
It matters man, you have to plan ahead. We are just one injury away from Ward, Forsett, or the #3 from being the #2. And with this team's injury history I think your statement is too bold to say #3 doesn't matter. The teams that win in December and January are the ones with the best depth.
If you base decisions off of the team history then we go into this year expecting to lose and not make the playoffs. Look forward, not back. Both our backs are healthy so go out with Foster and Tate and dominate. All I was saying is dont worry about who #3 is right now, it isnt critical. Dont start inventing problems to spend more money on when they arent there. Spend the money where we need it. Not that much cap room. Improve what needs to be improved ... Forsett will do just fine. Good luck to Ward.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #24
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267056 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Ward is not yet signed (although you would expect him to be signed by mid TC), theoretically, should the Texans find out that Forsett is not what they thought he was, they could still choose to sign Ward. I know, many "ifs." It probably wouldn't hurt my feeling if that were to happen.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #25
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans always give players opportunity to catch on early with another team once it becomes clear younger, cheaper players are ready to step-up so it should come to most of you as no big surprise. Still he served the Texans well. Good Luck catching on with another team, maybe back to the Giants.
I agree with the general statement, but this isn't an example of that. His contract expired - he's been able to sign with anyone who wants him since April.
Old 06-03-2012   #26
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you base decisions off of the team history then we go into this year expecting to lose and not make the playoffs. Look forward, not back. Both our backs are healthy so go out with Foster and Tate and dominate. All I was saying is dont worry about who #3 is right now, it isnt critical. Dont start inventing problems to spend more money on when they arent there. Spend the money where we need it. Not that much cap room. Improve what needs to be improved ... Forsett will do just fine. Good luck to Ward.
I am not disputing any of that, I am disputing your statement that #3 RB doesn't matter. With limited roster spots, every spot matters.

No one is looking back expecting to lose, that comment was out of left field dude, I just made a statement that injuries are part of the game plus experience is kind of sorta important. That's not inventing problems, but since we are talking right here right now we need RB's for OTA's and camp, you know so Foster and Tate are not overworked. I said nothing about money, and I know the cap situation.

I am looking forward to Forsett but liked Ward. One thing is for sure if he's not good in pass pro he won't see the field.
Old 06-03-2012   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
gotta go cheap on the rb3 now that we have two starting caliber backs and no cap room and contracts from prominent players coming up.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2012   #28
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
gotta go cheap on the rb3 now that we have two starting caliber backs and no cap room and contracts from prominent players coming up.
Don't disagree, never did.
Old 06-03-2012   #29
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

At this stage in Ward's career he's probably best off getting himself some touches somewhere, its also probably not a bad idea for the Texans to begin trying to develop someone to take over from Tate in a year or 2 because no-way will they be able to afford him unless he has some terrible injury or loss of form which would be bad.

Think Ward was class in his role and would have been one of the better guys we'd trotted out as a starter if it wasn't for Foster & Tate being around at the same time.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the Lions dont sign Ward. They need a vet RB on the cheap and the Texans having to play against Ward on Thanksgiving day isn't a thought I cherish.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #31
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda makes me sad! Odd that he hasn't been picked up already. Maybe he was just waiting to see if he could work something out with us, which makes me believe he truly wanted to stay a Texan. A lot of changes this year, most of them I'm not crazy about, but, we will see what happens come gametime.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #32
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the posts were in response to your statement "it doesn't matter".

It does matter. This is the NFL, spots are limited. Every roster spot matters even if it ends up not mattering, because it very well could have.

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If someone is a Texans fan and he/she doesn't think it matters who the 3rd man is on the roster at ANY position...let alone RB...I seriously wonder if that person really has followed Texans football closely.

TJ Yates was 3rd man up at the tail end of the reg season. To start off the year, Foster missed something like 3 or 4 games where our 2nd and 3rd string RBs had to platoon the RB position while he was out...and this situation was eased by still having Matt Schaub in there at QB to keep the offense as stable as it could be kept while our top gun RB was out for awhile.

Lost Schaub. Lost Leinart. 3rd man, Yates, stepped up and managed decently.

No, I'm afraid that your 3rd stringers in today's NFL just might be the difference between making the playoffs and missing the playoffs. I, like others, felt a calm with Ward as RB3. He wasn't dominating, but when he was in there he moved the chains. He scored TDs.

We've got 2 or 3 guys (Meggett, Grimes, and Forsett) to solidify that RB3 role. it will be interesting to see it in action this camp and preseason. Somebody is going to rise to the occasion.
Old 06-03-2012   #34
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Kinda makes me sad! Odd that he hasn't been picked up already. Maybe he was just waiting to see if he could work something out with us, which makes me believe he truly wanted to stay a Texan. A lot of changes this year, most of them I'm not crazy about, but, we will see what happens come gametime.
I think that there was a max that Ward wanted and he wasn't able to get it from anyone... Of course there's a minimum, and it's still probably a little too much for the Texans... He deserves (and most likely will get) more than the Texans can justifiably spend additionally on the RB position and that's pretty much all there is to it...

The Texans are already paying two RBs starter money, can't go paying a 3rd too much...

I hope Ward gets a good deal somewhere not named Indy...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #35
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Ward is an underrated back in this league. He played well here and made the most of his role when he got his chances. Good luck to him for the future.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Ward is an underrated back in this league. He played well here and made the most of his role when he got his chances. Good luck to him for the future.
He was a 3rd string back for us. For the other 31 guys in the NFL that had that job title last year, I'll bet Ward was better than all of them. Foster, Tate and Ward were a hell of a trio. I hope our new 3rd string back, whoever that ends up being, can live up to what Ward did for us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #37
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
He was a 3rd string back for us. For the other 31 guys in the NFL that had that job title last year, I'll bet Ward was better than all of them. Foster, Tate and Ward were a hell of a trio. I hope our new 3rd string back, whoever that ends up being, can live up to what Ward did for us.
Yeah, I would have liked to have had him back.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #38
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Foster
2. Tate
3. Doesnt matter ...
What a ridiculous comment. Yeah, as if it didn't matter who was third string RB last year when both Foster and Tate were banged up for the first however-long of the season?

Absolute absurdity.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #39
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I liked Ward a lot, but a Vinny says your number 3 guy has to be cheap in this salary cap world. Particularly for us since we are so close to it. Good solid guy both as a player and as a person I wish him well.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267056 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Derrick Ward thinks the Texans don’t know what he can do
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 4, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT

After playing the last two years in Houston, free agent running back Derrick Ward has been told the Texans don’t have any plan to re-sign him. And Ward seems to think that’s the result of the Texans not knowing what he can contribute.

Ward wrote on Twitter today that he was told the Texans didn’t bring him back because he doesn’t play special teams. And Ward would like to point out that during his first four seasons in the NFL, playing special teams was his primary responsibility with the Giants.

“Was just told I didnt get re-signed because I don’t play special teams? Humm check 2004-2007 stats special teams demon. Oh well,” Ward wrote. “Their loss though. Will take some time off now & see what I want to do!”

Ward doesn’t say who told him that special teams are the reason the Texans don’t want him anymore, but from the Texans’ perspective, it’s fair to point out that just because Ward was a good special teams player five years ago, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’d be a good special teams player for the Texans this year. And Ward will turn 32 in August and is coming off a season in which he averaged a career-low 3.4 yards a carry, so it’s easy to see why the Texans don’t think he has much more to contribute to their offense.

After Ward takes time off and sees what he wants to do, there’s a good chance he will come to the conclusion that whether he wants to keep playing in the NFL or not, teams just aren’t interested in his services, no matter how much he still thinks he can contribute on special teams.
Count me as one that doesn't agree with the latter statement or the decision not to resign him.........especially for the ST reason supposedly given.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read