Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2012   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com - Bradie James will call plays on Texans' defense

Think this will cause any issues with Cushing? Although Wade explains why, I'm still kind of confused by it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #2
Cush
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161 Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respectedCush is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bradie James will call plays on Texans' defense

I like it

This will free Cushing up to focus on cracking skulls, rather than making sure everyone's in the right spots
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com - Bradie James will call plays on Texans' defense

It takes a great deal of experience to be a "general" in this type of D. To be most effective, calls must almost be reflexive. You don't want this player to be putting a great deal of time into thinking, or not only will it delay the other's preparedness for the play, but it will stunt that player's own response and performance.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

From the article:

Quote:
Rehabbing third-year linebacker Darryl Sharpton might have more upside than James, but the latter clearly has Phillips' trust.
Isn't Sharpton coming back from a torn quad?

I haven't seen a before/after, but his legs are looking a little thinnish.

Wade talked about hoping he came back by the end of OTAs, but don't know.

Will say that Bradie James is a very charismatic guy. Quote sheet doesn't really do him justice--listen or watch him do an interview.
Old 05-30-2012   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Edit: OK, just read Wade's comments in the OTA thread...

Sounds like its a done deal. Bradie James is the caller now. 100%.

In Wade We Trust.
Old 05-30-2012   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

So will James wear the radio receiver in his helmet (green tag)?

I find it hard to believe James will stay in the game in the nickel and dime defenses? What does he bring to the table on passing downs?
Old 05-30-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I find it hard to believe James will stay in the game in the nickel and dime defenses? What does he bring to the table on passing downs?
LOL, I know...I know...

Look, apparently Wade is officially handing it to James. I guess he does such a good job that there's no way BUT to have him do it.

Wade's comments on the OTA thread signal that James is da man.
Old 05-30-2012   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think it's a good thing simply because wade thinks it's a good thing. he's worked with cushing, ryans and james and if he thinks that bradie is the best at calling the plays, especially in audible and hurry situations, that's what is what we should go with. i dont know how much it would "free cushing up", because making those calls helps to orient cushing more into the center of the action, but maybe it will allow him more freedom to wreak havoc.

i hope it doesnt affect cushing being the captain or figurehead of the defense because a lot of our guys feed off of his energy. i also worry that it means james is going to be a 3 down linebacker when he looks more like a 2 (and nowhere near cushing when it comes to rushing and pass coverage), but i dont know him well enough to say he isnt capable of staying in on passing downs.
Old 05-30-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's what I want to know.

None of the scenarios with bradie wearing the Dot seem good to me.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #10
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 629 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure if this is the case here, but we can actually have 2 guys on D with the radio, just only one on the field at a time:

Quote:
One defensive player will wear a helmet similar to what the quarterback is allowed on offense. Should that player leave the game, a teammate can be designated to also have the device. But only one defender with the device can be on the field at a time.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

So it is very possible we could have a nickle only player with a radio to make sure one is on the field. It is also possible that since James will only really be off the field in the nickle D, they could have some sort of signal from the side lines just for those specific plays. Either way, I really doubt Cushing is coming off the field on passing downs for James.

All that aside, I actually think this is a good thing. I love Cush as much as the next guy, but lets face it, at times, he can get a little lost. Every once in awhile I would see 'meco pointing him in the right direction or telling him to change this or that. Even with the radio helmet, it felt like 'meco still controlled the play calls more than Cush did. I vaguely remember 2 years ago when some people said that Cush struggled to help others get the play right and then take care of himself, he did a lot better when they let someone else play MLB and call the shots, and he just played his game.

I would much rather see 100% of Cushing the player, than see his play reduced because he is trying to take care of others. If James knows it backwards and forwards already, let him make the calls. I am sure they can work out a way to get the calls on the field when James is off.
Old 05-31-2012   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I an thinking Cushing will wear the dot, receive and make the play call and then James will be making non-nickle and down audibles which then transfer back to Cushing when James comes out for nickle and dime. Sounds awkward to me but at this point I will trust Wade.
Old 05-31-2012   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

So much for all of the hype about Cushing being a team leader.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From this morning's The Washington Post

Quote:
After trading longtime leader DeMeco Ryans to the Philadelphia Eagles in March, the Texans were looking for a veteran inside linebacker to fill the void. James signed with the team in April after spending 10 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys.

James said his familiarity with Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and linebackers coach Reggie Herring, who both coached him in Dallas, ultimately helped him choose the Texans.

“They tasted success last season and we need to build upon that,” James said. “It was a natural choice because this is a team that can compete for a championship, and it became a no-brainer.”

Many fans didn’t like the team’s decision to trade Ryans and sign James, who experienced a major dip in production last season. James had just 44 tackles and no sacks after leading the Cowboys in tackles for six consecutive seasons from 2004 to 2010. He also ended his five-year streak of seasons with more than 100 tackles.

Herring said he feels that the decline had less to do with James and more to do with the changing of the guard with Dallas’ coaching staff.

“You can talk about his age all you want, but he moves around better than a lot of the 21-year-olds out here,” Herring said. “To be honest with you, he didn’t fit well in Dallas’ scheme because there wasn’t really a place for him, for whatever reason.”

To have James back in Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme has Herring excited about the veteran’s potential this season. Herring said James’ familiarity with the scheme will make him more valuable to a defense that went from third-worst in yards allowed in 2010 to second-best last year.

“We feel like we’ve gained back what we lost with DeMeco leaving and then some,” Herring said. “On top of that, he knows our defense and he knows how to run the show.”

Through the first two weeks of organized team activities, James has competed with the first team, and he is expected to be the starting inside linebacker.

“The guy knows exactly what we’re doing, and he knows how to do it well,” Phillips said. “And above all, he’s a great guy, a great person and the kind of guy you want to be around.”

When James began to see the writing on the wall in Dallas, his charity work was one of his first concerns. James established Foundation 56 in 2007 to raise breast cancer awareness among inner-city women. James’ mother, Etta, died in 2001 when he was playing for LSU, and he later helped fund a resource center in Dallas and mobile units in Dallas and Baton Rouge, La., to provide mammograms.

“I always wanted to do something that would have an impact,” James said. “I wanted to help those underserved women get mammograms and help them out as much as possible.”

Although he now wears No. 53 with the Texans, James is hoping to bring Foundation 56 to Houston.

“He’s been everything Wade and Reggie said he would be,” coach Gary Kubiak said.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I an thinking Cushing will wear the dot, receive and make the play call and then James will be making non-nickle and down audibles which then transfer back to Cushing when James comes out for nickle and dime. Sounds awkward to me but at this point I will trust Wade.
After reading wades comments I think you are mostly right.

Wade mentioned signals though which leads me to believe that james will be looking to the sideline for playcalls.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post

What?
Old 05-31-2012   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Nice dig comment. Not making the audibles doesn't mean someone isn't a leader. He clearly fires the D up and works the sideline. Leadership comes in different forms. Exemplary play, fiery mentality. Then there is quiet leadership like from Aaron Glenn or AJ doing an excellent job and then discussing what is going on with routes and coverage in such small pantomime on the sideline and quiet voices with teammates you are hard pressed to notice it. I hate how some fans think every veteran is should be brought in for a look as a veteran leader and hate how some folks want to leadership only comes in one form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
After reading wades comments I think you are mostly right.

Wade mentioned signals though which leads me to believe that james will be looking to the sideline for playcalls.
I wouldn't doubt them mixing that in at all Wade, James and Herring pre-date and worked together before the green dot for defensive players.
Old 05-31-2012   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nice dig comment. Not making the audibles doesn't mean someone isn't a leader. He clearly fires the D up and works the sideline. Leadership comes in different forms. Exemplary play, fiery mentality. Then there is quiet leadership like from Aaron Glenn or AJ doing an excellent job and then discussing what is going on with routes and coverage in such small pantomime on the sideline and quiet voices with teammates you are hard pressed to notice it. I hate how some fans think every veteran is should be brought in for a look as a veteran leader and hate how some folks want to leadership only comes in one form.
Not knocking his talent, determination, competitiveness, or value to the team as a very good NFL LB.
I was hoping he might step in for DeMeco in terms of a leadership role, but guess not ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I was telling you guys that Sharpton wouldn't start. It ain't even TC yet and they have him running second team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Herring and Wade still love those Cowboys!

Cushing deserves, and wants to be the leader of the D. Hell, Wade went on TV a day or so ago and said Cush was the leader of the D and Cush said he was ready! James is the newbie so WHY should he be the designated leader? I would be P*SSED off if I was Cush!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I was telling you guys that Sharpton wouldn't start. It ain't even TC yet and they have him running second team.
From what I've heard, Sharpton isn't running anything. He's still on the sidelines recovering from injury. At least, that's what I thought I'd read.

I expected Sharpton to be penciled in as the starter with Demeco leaving and it was his job to lose. I thought that signaled that they had faith in him stepping up to fill that void. I was wrong. From the reports I've read, they've lost faith in Sharpton and his name has been erased. Now James' name seems to be written in ink.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read