Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2012   #21
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: J.J. Watt aims to be dominant, go to Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm excited to see Watt in beast mode all year. With Smith on the other side playing his ass off in a contract year, our secondary having a full off season and TC in our new system, the addition of Mercilus to give our outstanding LB a quality rotation to keep everyone fresh, and Cushing being Cushing we should be just fine on the defensive side of the ball.
Don't forget about Crick.

If he can stay healthy, he may be the best pickup of the draft.

Monster in the making.
Old 05-30-2012   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Don't forget about Crick.

If he can stay healthy, he may be the best pickup of the draft.

Monster in the making.
I just wonder about his injuries. He dropped in the draft because of concerns about that.

Hopefully he can stay on the field. He's a great fit for Wade's defense.
Old 05-30-2012   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I just wonder about his injuries. He dropped in the draft because of concerns about that.

Hopefully he can stay on the field. He's a great fit for Wade's defense.
InjurY. 1 Injury. A torn pec, just like Mario had last year. From what I can tell, he doesn't have a history of injuries.

His sophomore year, he had 75 tackles and 9.5 sacks. His junior year, he had 70 tackles and 9.5 sacks. His senior year, he tore his pec early and because of that, didn't have recent tape so he dropped.

If he comes out after his junior year (when he was a 2nd team all-american), he's drafted a lot higher. He could end up being a steal.

But it's not like he's fragile like Fangupo is.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
InjurY. 1 Injury. A torn pec, just like Mario had last year. From what I can tell, he doesn't have a history of injuries.

His sophomore year, he had 75 tackles and 9.5 sacks. His junior year, he had 70 tackles and 9.5 sacks. His senior year, he tore his pec early and because of that, didn't have recent tape so he dropped.

If he comes out after his junior year (when he was a 2nd team all-american), he's drafted a lot higher. He could end up being a steal.

I believe Crick also had a knee injury that caused him to miss time.

edit: He missed some time during the off season with a knee injury....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't suprised by the JJW pick. I was expecting that after seeing him swat balls down all season long. What I didn't expect was for him to directly catch it as if the pass was intended for him, gather his feet after jumping for the ball, and then (the best part) have enough speed to avoid the tackle.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Ah. I was only looking at his missed games. Still not worried about his injury history, though.
Old 05-30-2012   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I went and did some digging, this is what I found:

Quote:
Houston Texans — Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska (126th pick overall) — Probably a second-round pick had he not lost a great deal of the 2011 season to injury, but Crick was medically cleared at the scouting combine, and he's a perfect movable chess piece for Wade Phillips' defensive fronts. He has the ability to play five-tech end and some outside end in four-man fronts, and given Phillips' recent preference for putting lighter guys inside as nose tackles in his one-gap concepts, I could see Crick getting some time there as well. Perfect marriage of player and scheme.
Link to above excerpt.

Quote:
04/30/12 - A closer look at the Texans' picks: Round 4/126 - Jared Crick, DE, 6-4, 279, Nebraska...A steal in the fourth round after missing his last seven games with a torn pectoral muscle. He'll play end in the three-man front, then move inside and become part of the rotation in passing situations. - The Sports Xchange

04/26/12 - ROB RANG'S TOP 50 PLAYERS OF THE 2012 NFL DRAFT: 42. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: A sprained knee and torn pectoral muscle limited Crick to just five games in 2011 but the 6-4, 279 pounder entered the season with first round grades from some scouts after having proven during an All-American campaign a year earlier (70 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks) that he wasn't just riding Ndamukong Suh's coat-tails. Crick isn't the fearful pass rusher than his statistics would indicate but does have the size, strength and tenacity that teams operating out of the 3-4 scheme are looking for at the five-technique defensive end position. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

04/19/12 - 04/18 NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska...While Ndamukong Suh was tearing up the Big 12 a few years back, a sophomore defensive tackle right next to him was making his own name for himself. However Jared Crick hasn't had the same type of impact since Suh left Lincoln and there are strong concerns about where he will play at the next level. After missing the second half of the 2011 season with a torn pectoral muscle, Crick looked very average in his pre-draft workouts, especially with the 40-yard dash (4.95) and bench press (26). And at 6-4, 280 pounds with shorter arms (32"), he has a tweener skill-set creates concern about where he will "fit" at the next level. Crick stays balanced and fights with a relentless attitude, but plays too high and isn't a natural bender, losing the leverage battle. Once thought to be a candidate to sneak into the first round, Crick's draft stock is currently moving in the other direction. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

04/19/12 - Unlike a year ago, when the talent pool seemed chock-full of five-technique defensive end possibilities for 3-4 fronts, there aren't a lot of candidates for the 2012 draft. One guy who is getting attention, and who might have worked himself up to the third round, in part because of the thin crop at the position is Jared Crick of Nebraska. The former Cornhuskers' standout has some injury concerns, and at 279 pounds at the combine, isn't nearly as bulky as some teams would prefer as a 3-4 end. But Crick, who ran under five seconds in Indy, is deceptively strong, can hold the point, and really uses his hands well to get rid of blockers. At 6-feet-4 1/4, he might not be able to hold a lot more weight, and a lot of teams project him more as a 4-3 guy who can move inside on third down, but he has some natural 3-4 skills, and is getting play as such. - Len Pasquarelli, The Sports Xchange

03/21/12 - 03/20/12 NFL DRAFT SCOUT RISER: Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: Entering the 2011 season, Crick was thought to be a first-round caliber player, but a torn pectoral muscle in October put those projections in doubt. He missed the remainder of his final season in Lincoln and was unable to participate in the Senior Bowl. But Crick looked healthy at the Combine with decent times in the 40-yard dash (4.95), vertical (31.0"), broad jump (8'8), short shuttle (4.40) and 3-cone drill (7.47). He also lifted 26 reps of 225-pounds on the bench press at Nebraska's pro day last week, putting to rest any concerns about his pectoral muscle. Crick might not return to his round one standing he had entering the year, but he has worked his way back from his season-ending injury to show NFL scouts he's at near-full health. He isn't expected to escape the second round because of his natural size and foot quickness. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
Link to above excerpt.

Sprained knee and torn pec in 2011. Could not participate in Senior Bowl. Cleared for combine and did well.

Nick Toon had a 4th round grade, like Crick did. Toon had battled a nagging foot injury that affected his draft ranking.

I think it's fair to say that Crick AND Toon are two players who had solid careers in college but have the injury question upon them. Arian Foster had a injury that had affected his own Pro Day (or Combine, can't remember which) so I think Crick will be just fine. Hopefully.
Old 05-30-2012   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Arian Foster had a injury that had affected his own Pro Day (or Combine, can't remember which)
Both.
Old 05-30-2012   #29
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The interception of Dalton in the wild card game was...amazing.

Will never forget it. It was unreal.

He threw the ball, Watt jumps, and all of a sudden he's racing to the end zone. I had sort of zoned out and wasn't really watching the play when it happened. I just sat there...stunned.
I sat twelve rows away from it, right at the 30. The most memorable live sports occurrence I've ever witnessed. The two drunk dorks in front of me had just left for halftime refills.

And AJ's TD catch happened at almost the same yard marker in the second half.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #30
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I sat twelve rows away from it, right at the 30. The most memorable live sports occurrence I've ever witnessed. The two drunk dorks in front of me had just left for halftime refills.

And AJ's TD catch happened at almost the same yard marker in the second half.
I only get to go to one game a year, 2 if I'm lucky. I was at the game where AJ put a beat down on Cortland innagin. 40yd line, club level, 5 beers in, cheering AJ along with the rest of the stadium as he walked off the field and into the tunnel, best game ever.
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Hes going to be a bust not a first-round bust but a bust in the Hall of Fame, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said after practice Monday. The only players Ive seen that can do what he can do with his intensity can be found in Canton.

Hes powerful, and hes got a great feel for what it takes to play his position, Phillips said. Over the last half of last year, he was fantastic.

He dominated the line of scrimmage against two playoff teams. I think hell continue to go from there because he works so hard at it. He wants to be a great player.
----------------------
I expect J.J. to become a megastar, [Antonio]Smith said. I told him, People are going to be looking for you this year (and), youre not going to surprise them anymore. Theyre going to get up to play because of your reputation.

Hes got a tremendous upside. Ive seen a lot of guys, and I compare him to Howie [Long] in that he has the same quickness to beat (offensive) linemen off the ball. Hes a smart guy who gets it.
----------------------
Hes stronger than Ive ever seen him, [Brooks]Reed said. Hes abnormally fast for a man that size. Hes also strong at the point of attack. He has great eye-hand coordination.

I think he can be better than last year. Hes got unlimited ability.

Hes a good character guy, Reed said. Hes become the spokesperson for the Texans. He is heavily involved in the community.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...training-camp/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a bigger believer in JJ Watt than he, himself when we drafted him.

It was still unbelievable to watch his phenomenal progress.

I thought we're going to get a player that can be as dominant inside as Mario Williams has been on the outside (when he was here - and healthy), but I really didn't expect it so soon.

I just hope the team can stay "relatively" healthy.
This should be a fun season for all, knock on wood.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #33
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64465 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty cool video about Watt.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #34
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Thanks FS!

msr

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post

I think we have our Bagwell and Biggio after 10 years.
Im not looking forward to either of those guy's testing the FA market .... Better get them locked in .... or I fear they will be playing for the next Barfallo Bills team that has a cool hundred million to throw at them.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #36
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64465 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Thanks FS!

msr

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #37
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im not looking forward to either of those guy's testing the FA market .... Better get them locked in .... or I fear they will be playing for the next Barfallo Bills team that has a cool hundred million to throw at them.
Smith would be crazy to let them test the market. Hopefully he locks them up.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #38
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Watt is a second year player who had a good rookie year capped by a great initial playoff game. He's not an All-Pro. He should quit with the sensational quotes and the seeking of media attention and focus on having a good follow through year.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #39
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Watt is a second year player who had a good rookie year capped by a great initial playoff game. He's not an All-Pro. He should quit with the sensational quotes and the seeking of media attention and focus on having a good follow through year.
What "sensational quote" has he made?
Old 08-01-2012   #40
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Yeah? Hide-N-Watch.

Don't be too surprised when he is. JJ Watt is an All Pro talent. He will be recognized as such more likely sooner than later.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read