Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2005   #21
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what AOL Sports has to say about him:

Quote:
All he does is catch touchdowns. An undrafted free agent in 2001, Rivers impressed the Giants with his size, work ethic, and good hands. In return, they've thrown him a few bones in the red zone. We like his potential as a pass-catcher, but he needs to improve on his blocking.
Sounds an awful lot like Billy Miller...

Last edited by D-ReK; 05-18-2005 at 02:23 PM. Reason: My grammatical skills are laughable
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #22
briptexanfan
Rookie

Default marcellus rivers sign one year deal with texans

saw this on tv just now on espn news
briptexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he can at least get open.

If we go with a two TE set, at least his hands will be better than Bruener's.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #24
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I think this is about the best we could hope for, Franks seems like a knee jerk reaction, there is a reason he hasn't gotten looked at this offseason, either GB will retain him or match an offer or something about him.

Maybe someone's TE will fall out of favor. Jerrmay Stevens in seattle is always an option for that. I'm sorry but with this many lower body injuries i dont see Joppru being in the picture again. he will go on the IR AGAIN. He will be asked to re-struture his deal if he doesn't he will be cut.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #25
THEFUTURE
All Pro

he cant be a worse blocker than billy, i mean billy is bad... so ill take rivers, even if he is just avg blocker. some kind of dual TE threat at least
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #26
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans | Rivers Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 13:06:02 -0700

Updating an earlier story, the Associated Press reports the Houston Texans have signed free agent TE Marcellus Rivers (Giants) to an undisclosed contract.
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #27
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Texans | Rivers Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 13:06:02 -0700

Updating an earlier story, the Associated Press reports the Houston Texans have signed free agent TE Marcellus Rivers (Giants) to an undisclosed contract.
Now, let's see if we can get Boulware!
Old 05-18-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Carter just finished his profile. Looks like he is number 45 for now.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro....php?PRKey=171

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #29
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

I hope rivers will be a complete TE and not 1 sided. commenting on O.G. it looks as if he is in good shape. If we can work something out with him i think he would have a great season and be back to form.... just my specualtion
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #30
KingRat
Rookie

Default curious

what do miller and brueners' contracts look like, stacked up with rivers?

anyone know? <:~ Rat
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #31
outofhnd
All Pro

We dont Need Stellar blocking but he has better size than miller who looks kinda short rivers is 6 5 i think miller is like 6 - 6'2...

Hopefully he can do well enough to be an all around tight end unless bruener's hands have undergone a metamorphsis.
Old 05-19-2005   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
11th round? That's odd, considering the draft only has 7 rounds.
I know it sounds funny but 2001 was the last year they went 12 rounds. here is the link for Rivers selection- http://home.comcast.net/~kenbarrett/.../2001/rd11.htm

it looks funny (check out the names) because its early fantasy drafting, this stuff is classic

oops it was 1992 the last year the NFL draft was 12 rounds. this was strictly a fantasy draft. Riley was undrafted, but if they did have 12 rounds he would have been selected in the 11th just kidding

Last edited by beerlover; 05-19-2005 at 12:47 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

His Texans bio has him as an undrafted FA signed by the Giants in 01
Quote:
PRO: Hard-nosed physical tight end who will challenge for a roster spot…signed by the Texans as an unrestricted free agent on 5/18/05 after spending his first four seasons with the Giants…has 27 career catches for 227 yards (8.4 avg.) and four TDs…can also boast 55 special teams tackles…originally signed by the Giants as an undrafted free agent on 4/27/01.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro....php?PRKey=171

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #34
Human Highlight Reel
Rookie

Default Texans sign TE Marcellus Rivers

What's your opinion on this sign?

Warning to ALL teams, We have D-Rob and PB so please don't throw...
Human Highlight Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #35
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks to me to be a temporary type of player that they hope might work out better than expected.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #36
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope Marcellus doesn't leave our team to make a rap album.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #37
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL
Default He was a UFA in 01

I think that his blocking improved quite a bit since he was in college.
I've seen Rivers play in a couple of games and his blocking looks decent. He's definitely a better blocker than Miller. He's not quite as fast as miller and his hands aren't as good. But, he is much faster than Bruener and his hands are quite better. Pat Kirwan had him rated the #2 TE available behind Cam Cleeland, but, I think Cleeland is as slow as Bruener. I think Cam's hands are better than Bruener's, but he can't block as well. So why would we want another slow TE ? I think out of the choices Rivers was the best choice for us. Unless they went after Bubba Franks, obviously. But, since they didn't sign him, hopefully they are saving that cap room to improve the line.

To tell you the truth, I think that Rivers is a better player right now that Joppru. Rivers has played four years already, and he's a decent red zone target, since 4 of his 27 catches were for touchdowns. 15% isn't too shabby. So he should give Carr another redzone target, wouldn't that be nice.

My predictions for Rivers 38 catches, 336 yards, 5 TDs

I hope I'm wrong and he does better than that.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #38
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
My predictions for Rivers 38 catches, 336 yards, 5 TDs
Honestly, I think that is just a bit too high. His last four years he doesn't even have those totals. I think that Rivers might get about 20 catches, 215 yards, and about 3 TD's. The Texans have some good WR's so I don't think that he will do that good.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #39
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Would anybody like to see a 2 TE formation with Rivers and Miller... That should open up the middle of the field.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #40
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

"SCOUTING REPORT: The Texans were scrambling for tight end depth after losing Bennie Joppru for a third consecutive season and were fortunate to acquire Marcellus Rivers, who spent the past three seasons with the New York Giants. Rivers isn't likely to compete for a starting job, but he does give the team a proven blocker in the running game and decent receiver in the passing game. A solid showing during training camp could put Rivers in position for significant playing time in a rotation that figures to include Mark Bruener, Billy Miller and Matt Murphy." FOXSPORTS

Here's the link http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3633156

So its not just me that thinks, Rivers can block and catch, I don't know about you guys but, I like this guy a lot more that Joppru....Since I've already seen this guy play and he's a reliable weapon in the red zone. Plus he's got some NFL starts, where Joppru didn't even have an NFL snap.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read