Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-25-2012   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HOFamer Jim Brown rips Browns top pick Trent Richardson ("an average running back")

In recent years, Joe Namath has held the title of not just the New York Jets' most famous player, but also their most publicized critic.

We're now seeing Jim Brown, who sounded off on the Cleveland Browns this week, take a similar course.
Brown reiterated his belief -- first documented the day of the 2012 NFL Draft -- that Trent Richardson, chosen with the third overall pick, is an average running back. He later took aim at Browns president Mike Holmgren.

"When you think of greatness and the great backs, they all had some individual traits that you can identify -- quickness, balance, power, speed," Brown told ESPNCleveland.com on Wednesday night. "I think the kid is a good working back, and if you've got everything else around him he can play his role. But when it comes to 'outstanding,' I don't see anything outstanding about him.

"It's not said in a cruel manner. He's very efficient, and that's what you
want."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...content_stream
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOFamer Jim Brown rips Browns top pick Trent Richardson ("an average running back

Brown has a serious case of sour grapes. He hates Holmgren and is on very bad terms with the Browns organization. it's pretty embarrassing for Cleveland fans.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOFamer Jim Brown rips Browns top pick Trent Richardson ("an average running back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Brown has a serious case of sour grapes. He hates Holmgren and is on very bad terms with the Browns organization. it's pretty embarrassing for Cleveland fans.
What's his beef with the Browns/Holmgren about ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
What's his beef with the Browns/Holmgren about ?
Jim Brown was some sort of special advisor (think Bagwell with the Astros) and Holmgren relieved (think fired) Brown from that position.
Old 05-25-2012   #5
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Jim Brown was some sort of special advisor (think Bagwell with the Astros) and Holmgren relieved (think fired) Brown from that position.
The letter:

Quote:
Mike,

I would hope that you would take the time to read my agreement with the Clevelend Browns. I had no contract, but I was asked to write a job description so that my duties would be clear.

That job description included two things that I think are important. As Executive Advisor to the owner, my job was to use my intelligence, and my logic to advise Mr. Lerner. The second most important thing to me was a clause in that agreement that stated that I answered to noone except Randy Lerner. These two thing were highly important to me because I truly believed, with my educational background, having been a Cleveland Brown for 9 yrs, and having a pretty good knowledge of football, that I could contibute in a valuable way to the organization.

When you called me for a meeting in your office, there was no conversation about that agreement, no conversation about my duties, no conversation about what I felt, no conversation about my relationship with the players, no conversation about my relationship with the coaches, no conversation about my relationship with the head coach, and no conversation about my community work. Ultimately there was no conversation about anything that I felt was related to my job.

Your ultimatum to me was that you would offer me the opportunity of being that of the greeter, that of a mascot, that of a person that would represent special events by his physical presence, and for those things, I would receive a salary of $100,000. All of those things that you offered me would be controlled by you. . . .

I was able to study your press conference and found your statements to be consistent in the way that you value me, and I observed the comments of the key players that sat by your side, and here was the impression I got: Your most powerful statemnt about me was that, and I must laugh, one monkey don’t stop the show. . .

But in my conclusion, I’ve never danced in the end zone, I always gave the ball to the referee, so you should know I don’t dance. Also Mike, I don’t hang out on the Westside of town. I’m an Eastside guy. I play my golf at Highland Golf Course. I don’t go to the Hall of Fame ceremonies, except on occasions, like when Gene Hickerson was inducted, and I felt very proud to be with Bobby Mitchell and Leroy Kelly in showing our respect for his great contribution, and for helping us become great players. I don’t have any trophies in my home on display. I don’t claim to be the best at anything, and I emphatically do not need validation from any man, so I will not participate in your Ring of Honor. . . .

Mike, there’s only one thing that I control in life, and that’s being a man. So let me end with a little humor, because as you say, one monkey don’t stop the show, and as I say “Willie Lynch missed a few of us”, and there will be no Buck Dancing.

From #32

Monique Brown
Link
Old 05-25-2012   #6
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

That might be the single greatest piece of writing I've seen from a professional athlete.

I'm highly impressed.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #7
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Being a Cleveland Browns fan is embarrassing for Cleveland Browns fans.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Sour grapes or not I agree with his take on Richardson and I said as much before the draft.

He doesn't suck, but I don't see special when I watch him play.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If Brown has a beef with Holmgrem, he needs to take it up with Holmgrem...

Not use TR, who's a nice young man, an a go between whipping boy. Kinda chickensh!t.

And I disagree with Mr. Brown. I think TR had a chance to be special.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
If Brown has a beef with Holmgrem, he needs to take it up with Holmgrem...

Not use TR, who's a nice young man, an a go between whipping boy. Kinda chickensh!t.

And I disagree with Mr. Brown. I think TR had a chance to be special.
If y'all can prove this is some kind of petty thing with Holmgren fine. Fact is he may have a problem with Holmgren and still honestly believe TR isn't special. This is Jim freaking Brown - a guy who would appear in any top 5 RB's of all time list. He knows a little something about the position. H

He is kind of stating the obvious and he had a unique running style. This comment has nothing to do with Holmgren and is absolutely true:

Quote:
"When you think of greatness and the great backs, they all had some individual traits that you can identify -- quickness, balance, power, speed," Brown told ESPNCleveland.com on Wednesday night. "I think the kid is a good working back, and if you've got everything else around him he can play his role. But when it comes to 'outstanding,' I don't see anything outstanding about him.
Barry had quickness and speed. Emmitt had balance and power (and short space quickness). For an analogy currently in the league I would say he thinks TR will be a Matt Forte - a very serviceable, highly productive RB but not a star.
Old 05-28-2012   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Barry had quickness and speed. Emmitt had balance and power (and short space quickness). For an analogy currently in the league I would say he thinks TR will be a Matt Forte - a very serviceable, highly productive RB but not a star.
It's interesting that you bring up Emmitt Smith, because Brown doesn't believe he was special.

Quote:
“If you look at Emmitt Smith and the kind of blocking he had, I don’t think he’d have close to the career he had (without it),” Brown said. “But if you take a Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson … Earl Campbell, there’s something special there.

“Emmitt was a warrior. But when it comes to the first level of backs, Emmitt would not be in my first level. So when I look at Richardson, I see adequate speed, adequate power, and a good attitude. But I don’t see anything special. And I don’t know if anyone can tell me there’s anything special.”
I'm not understanding Brown's criticism of the pick. Is Richardson the next Sayers, Payton, or Dickerson? Probably not. But Sayers, Payton, nor Dickerson were not in this draft. Richardson was, and was the best offensive player available. And Richardson is a better player and prospect than any WR in this draft.

I would compare Richardson favorably to Maurice Jones-Drew. A complete back with the ability to make big plays. I don't know how anyone (even the greatest RB who ever played) could look at Richardson's resume and not believe he will have success in the NFL.
Old 05-28-2012   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's interesting that you bring up Emmitt Smith, because Brown doesn't believe he was special.
I wasn't commenting on the merits of the comments on TR. Frankly I haven't watched him enough. I obviously disagree with the comments about Emmitt (another RB like Brown I think should be in the conversation for top 5 ever). But doesn't that kind of demonstrate Brown has his own opinion of RB's rather than he is just being sour grapes to the Browns?
Old 05-28-2012   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But doesn't that kind of demonstrate Brown has his own opinion of RB's rather than he is just being sour grapes to the Browns?
Do you think Brown would have commented on Richardson if he had been drafted by Tampa Bay? I don't know. Would he have made the opinions known if still employed by the Browns? Don't know. But it's not a big reach to suggest that Brown has gone out of his way to disparage the selection of Richardson, and thereby criticize Mike Holmgren.

I think Brown has done that, and it's just over the top by Brown to assert that unless a RB is HOF level, he shouldn't be a high draft choice. I don't know if Arian Foster will ever make the HOF and be an all time great. But I would have taken him with the 3rd pick in this draft.
Old 05-28-2012   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not understanding Brown's criticism of the pick. Is Richardson the next Sayers, Payton, or Dickerson? Probably not. But Sayers, Payton, nor Dickerson were not in this draft. Richardson was, and was the best offensive player available. And Richardson is a better player and prospect than any WR in this draft.

I would compare Richardson favorably to Maurice Jones-Drew. A complete back with the ability to make big plays. I don't know how anyone (even the greatest RB who ever played) could look at Richardson's resume and not believe he will have success in the NFL.
I don't think Brown was being critical of TR at all. When I read what he said it sounds like he thinks TR is just a guy, he was taken too high, and gave reasons for his opinion.

Brown is a HOF'er running back and one of the greatest running backs this game will ever see. A reporter asked for his opinion about a RB that his former team had just drafted and Brown gave it.

I will disagree with Brown about Smith, what had that was special was his tenacity and toughness. (Breaking his arm during a game and continuing to play comes to mind)

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Do you think Brown would have commented on Richardson if he had been drafted by Tampa Bay? I don't know. ...
Neither do I. I am just saying his willingness to criticize the league's all time leading rusher (who had no association with the Browns or Holmgren) shows he'll criticize anyone he wants - rookie or Hall of Famer.
Old 05-28-2012   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes you know you're right and it's still maybe better to shut up.

Of those things I have an opinion about, which I don't know this TR guy from Adam, I don't disagree with anything I've heard of Brown ever saying regarding RBs. Earl Campbell, for instance, over Emmitt Smith? Yeah, I'll go with Earl every time. Payton, Sanders? Yeah. Heck, I might take Tony Dorsett over Emmit, but that might be my childhood fanaticism talking. I do also agree that Emmit was a warrior and deserves respect.

But, I'm just a poster on message board, people don't get all up in arms about everything I say, and I don't have to worry about it. Unlike Brown, I just have to keep my mouth shut when I'm actually at work.

PS-I wonder if he'll ever get around to some comment (good or bad) about Foster.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #17
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Of those things I have an opinion about, which I don't know this TR guy from Adam, I don't disagree with anything I've heard of Brown ever saying regarding RBs.
I really disagree with the notion that everything out of Jim Brown's mouth is gold. Brown once called Maurice Clarett "fantastically talented". Really? I would take Trent Richardson over Maurice Clarett in every aspect, other than felony convictions.

I believe Brown was the greatest runner the NFL has ever seen. But that doesn't make him the final word on who is a good RB. Joe Montana was the greatest QB I've ever seen. But, he sucked at analyzing the sport he dominated. Sucked hard. Performing and analyzing are two different skills.
Old 05-28-2012   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I believe Brown was the greatest runner the NFL has ever seen. But that doesn't make him the final word on who is a good RB. Joe Montana was the greatest QB I've ever seen. But, he sucked at analyzing the sport he dominated. Sucked hard. Performing and analyzing are two different skills.
Totally agree here. I also would pencil Brown in as the greatest runner but that doesn't mean he can evaluate RB's flawlessly. I will listen to him but that doesn't make his word golden.
Old 05-28-2012   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Totally agree here. I also would pencil Brown in as the greatest runner but that doesn't mean he can evaluate RB's flawlessly. I will listen to him but that doesn't make his word golden.
So, to totally take this thread into a tangent, I just don't buy it. When I watch old footage of Jim Brown (he was before my time), I see special, but I don't see SPECIAL. What I remember of Earl from when I was younger, and reinforced by video that is still out there of him, I see SPECIAL. That man did things that I don't think anyone will ever do again. And before anyone brings it up, yes I recognize the longevity argument. Earl was quality over quantity. I have never seen footage of another RB that impresses me as much as Earl's game. He had dancer's feet, defensive back speed, unparalleled balance, and the power of a Mack truck. If longevity is your measuring stick, then fine, I give you that. But no one played RB like Earl.

Jim Brown footage

Earl footage

Watch for yourself. And note how many times you see Earl facing what was arguably the greatest defense in the history of the NFL, the Steel Curtain.
Old 05-28-2012   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So, to totally take this thread into a tangent, I just don't buy it....
Ironically it is kind of what Brown was talking about. You need something which makes you special. It isn't always the same thing. Earl was a bull and that is real exciting to see. I think pure bull and pure dancer RB's get more kind of highlight credit. I guess at the ends of the spectrum you could put Earl and Barry.

As to Brown, he had a size, power, speed and agility which were unknown in his time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read