Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-25-2012   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I Know It's a Bleacher Report, But..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im not concerned about Butler at RT as he filled in very well for Brown when he was suspended.

Im not so sure Antoine Caldwell holds off Brandon Brooks at RG .... Caldwell wasnt very good when Briesel was out ....

The big question becomes , who's the swing tackle now that Butler is the starter .... that was a huge luxury to have a guy like that as depth. Behind Brown and Butler they have Newton and Gardner. Having one of those two protect Schaubs blind side is a scarry thought.
I have to give Caldwell the benefit of the doubt, as he was playing on ankles both being affected with high sprains. Most of us would have trouble just walking up hill with that type of injury. I have no doubt that his performance was directly negatively related to these injuries.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I have to give Caldwell the benefit of the doubt, as he was playing on ankles both being affected with high sprains. Most of us would have trouble just walking up hill with that type of injury.
What does that say about Briesel .... what were his injuries ? I think he'll be missed .... I dont doubt that between Caldwell and Rookie Brooks , they will hold down the fort tho.

As I said above , the big questionmark becomes the swing tackle.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What does that say about Briesel .... what were his injuries ? I think he'll be missed .... I dont doubt that between Caldwell and Rookie Brooks , they will hold down the fort tho.
Brisiel had a broken leg and played the second half on it.

Quote:
As I said above , the big questionmark becomes the swing tackle.
Newton, who I think is going to push Butler for the RT spot and I think Butler is good.

Prior to the draft, I wasn't worried about RT because between Butler and Newton, I think we're golden. My fear was at Guard. Learning about Caldwell's ankle sprains made me feel better. But Brooks? Brooks might not just push Caldwell for RG, he might push Butler and Newton for RT.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Brisiel had a broken leg and played the second half on it.
What I was getting at was how tough the guy is playing on a broken leg. He's a throw back type player from a different era of NFL football.

I dont know if you can replace that kind of toughness.

Quote:
Newton, who I think is going to push Butler for the RT spot and I think Butler is good.

Prior to the draft, I wasn't worried about RT because between Butler and Newton, I think we're golden. My fear was at Guard. Learning about Caldwell's ankle sprains made me feel better. But Brooks? Brooks might not just push Caldwell for RG, he might push Butler and Newton for RT.
What I saw of Newton last season didnt impress me , the drop off from Butler to Newton is significant IMO ..... which is why the swing tackle spot is my biggest concern.

I dont see Brooks pushing Butler .... But he could end up the starting RG , I almost expect that he does at some point this season supplant Caldwell.

Old 05-25-2012   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My logic may not be taut but I am going with it. We have only 3 weak positions imo kicker (resolved by Bullock), WR2 (resolution pending) and right guard. The latter may be corrected by a healed ankle on Caldwell and/or Brandon Brookes. The thing we should be concerned with is depth. Our Oline held together very well considering Briesel's broken leg and Caldwell's ankle. On defense Manning missed 3 games before returning to practice. The backups despite being average {if that} players did not hurt the team. However, we would be fortunate to have same priority type players out and expect our now back ups to do as well with exception of Yates.

While AJ & Matt did miss time, I look at them like basketball, if we can just get to the playoffs and both are healthy during that "new season" we will be in excellent shape. If Schaub and Johnson lose a step, these wily vets will make up for it with game knowledge.

The biggest plus for team and coaches is confidence. They know what they did last season with Rome burning around them. No one has touched on the biggest change I expect to see this season..both Wade Phillips and Kubiak will go deeper into their playbooks. We ain't seen nothing yet.
Old 05-25-2012   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The biggest plus for team and coaches is confidence. They know what they did last season with Rome burning around them. No one has touched on the biggest change I expect to see this season..both Wade Phillips and Kubiak will go deeper into their playbooks. We ain't seen nothing yet.
An exceedingly good point.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
An exceedingly good point.
Yes it is .... and one I didnt really consider , especially on the offensive side where they were down to a rookie 5th round QB and a brain dead reciever. They were likely at least somewhat limited because of that.

I believe twards the end of the season we saw the defense play to its potential tho as they were relatively healthy outside of MW who's now in Barffalo.

Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2012   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My logic may not be taut but I am going with it. We have only 3 weak positions imo kicker (resolved by Bullock), WR2 (resolution pending) and right guard. The latter may be corrected by a healed ankle on Caldwell and/or Brandon Brookes. The thing we should be concerned with is depth. Our Oline held together very well considering Briesel's broken leg and Caldwell's ankle. On defense Manning missed 3 games before returning to practice. The backups despite being average {if that} players did not hurt the team. However, we would be fortunate to have same priority type players out and expect our now back ups to do as well with exception of Yates.

While AJ & Matt did miss time, I look at them like basketball, if we can just get to the playoffs and both are healthy during that "new season" we will be in excellent shape. If Schaub and Johnson lose a step, these wily vets will make up for it with game knowledge.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the full offseason will end up being the X-factor.
Old 05-26-2012   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

All our opponents will also have a full off-season plus a season's worth of film to look for weaknesses in Wade's defense.

still.... I'm cautiously optimistic
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
All our opponents will also have a full off-season plus a season's worth of film to look for weaknesses in Wade's defense.

still.... I'm cautiously optimistic
Yes but I could care less about other teams off seasons. Trying to remember the offensive player that about 3 years ago said if the team performed each play as designed, ther ZBS could notbe stopped. I want to say it was Eric Winston. DCs have had years to prepare for AJ, Schaub's play action, etc. I truly believe Kubes and Wade will show things not seen before. We could be on the brink of some very good football.

Last edited by badboy; 05-27-2012 at 01:41 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I have to give Caldwell the benefit of the doubt, as he was playing on ankles both being affected with high sprains. Most of us would have trouble just walking up hill with that type of injury. I have no doubt that his performance was directly negatively related to these injuries.
I rewatched the Ravens play-off game yesterday, and Caldwell played in at least two series The one in which we scored our only TD, and a 3-and-out deep in our own end zone (from the 1).

He looked alright so there's always hope for next year (meaning this upcoming season.)
Like I said, I don't think it's a given that Caldwell get beat out of the starting spot.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #32
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I saw of Newton last season didnt impress me , the drop off from Butler to Newton is significant IMO ..... which is why the swing tackle spot is my biggest concern.
The guy was a 7th round rookie last season who played behind Brown, Winston, and Butler.. how much burn did he really get and how many snaps did you get to see him play?

I heard McClain talking on the radio about a week ago about Derek Newton.. he was talking about how the coaches are raving about the progression he's made from year 1 to year 2.. they said he might have the best feet on the team and has really come a long way. He said the coaches feel it's not a given Butler is going to be the starter.. he's going to have to compete for it with Derek Newton. When you have true competition it makes everyone better and strengthens the depth on your team.

As of right now I'm not worried about our swing tackle position, because I trust that Benton knows what he's doing and knows what he has in Newton. The Texans didn't have to cut Eric Winston... they could've made cost saving cuts at other positions over his and the fact that they chose to let him go tells me they're more than confident with the players they had behind him. At one time Butler was Derek Newton and both Butler and Brown are FAs this coming offseason. Newton could be our swing tackle this year and a starter next year.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The guy was a 7th round rookie last season who played behind Brown, Winston, and Butler.. how much burn did he really get and how many snaps did you get to see him play?

I heard McClain talking on the radio about a week ago about Derek Newton.. he was talking about how the coaches are raving about the progression he's made from year 1 to year 2.. they said he might have the best feet on the team and has really come a long way. He said the coaches feel it's not a given Butler is going to be the starter.. he's going to have to compete for it with Derek Newton. When you have true competition it makes everyone better and strengthens the depth on your team.

As of right now I'm not worried about our swing tackle position, because I trust that Benton knows what he's doing and knows what he has in Newton. The Texans didn't have to cut Eric Winston... they could've made cost saving cuts at other positions over his and the fact that they chose to let him go tells me they're more than confident with the players they had behind him. At one time Butler was Derek Newton and both Butler and Brown are FAs this coming offseason. Newton could be our swing tackle this year and a starter next year.
IIRC, Newton had several snaps & I was not impressed. However, like you I am hearing good things about him. It would be great if he could start by 2013 & eliminate having to pay big bucks to re-sign Butler.

We did not get good evals on many players with the shortened off season.
Old 05-27-2012   #34
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IIRC, Newton had several snaps & I was not impressed. However, like you I am hearing good things about him. It would be great if he could start by 2013 & eliminate having to pay big bucks to re-sign Butler.

We did not get good evals on many players with the shortened off season.
Next offseason is going to suck... people thought this year was bad..

Connor Barwin
Brian Cushing
Duane Brown
and
Matt Schaub will all need new contracts.. I'm probably missing a few players as well.
Old 05-27-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Connor Barwin
Brian Cushing
Duane Brown
and
Matt Schaub will all need new contracts.. I'm probably missing a few players as well.
Cushing under contract thru 2013, FYI. I hope Yates replaces Schaub, Brown is re-signed and when Barwin leaves we have Reed and Mercilus + 2012 draft pick. See my 2013 mock.

Cody will be allowed to walk.
Old 05-27-2012   #36
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Cushing under contract thru 2013, FYI. I hope Yates replaces Schaub, Brown is re-signed and when Barwin leaves we have Reed and Mercilus + 2012 draft pick. See my 2013 mock.

Oh my bad on Cushing.. that makes me feel a little better. I hope we can re-sign Barwin though.. I think he's just scratching the surface of his potential and can develop into a all pro type of player in this defense. Brown is going to cost us a arm and a leg though.

I'm pretty sure we'll be using our franchise tag on one of these guys next offseason.
Old 05-28-2012   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Connor Barwin
Duane Brown
and
The cap is suppose to go up considerably too .... that may be the thing that saves the Texans from a repeat of this offseason's exodus of players ....

I dont see Schaub going anywhere unless he's injured again and the team decides to go in another direction.

Old 05-28-2012   #38
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Another piece of good news - even if it's only short term - is that if we want and need to, we should be able to use the franchise tag on somebody. With Mario having a prior year salary in excess of $20 Million, and Myer/Brisiel essentially having to be tagged as if they were left tackles, the franchise tag was an option that practically speaking wasn't available to us this past off-season.
Old 05-28-2012   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes we know the window is closing for these 2 players no doubt but my god after seeing ...and i know there is no one like him ..Brett farve play till his 40's matt schaub is a baby ...but i dont see the big deal u know how many other teams have older QB;s and WR quite a few

and BTW reggie wanye is 33 has well

but hes right look at the AFCS all 3 foes will prob be playing rookie QB's agian

Gabbert
Luck
Locker

all 3 of thoes Qb's will prob score 10 points or less aganist this D ....!!! :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Yes we know the window is closing for these 2 players no doubt but my god after seeing ...and i know there is no one like him ..Brett farve play till his 40's matt schaub is a baby ...but i dont see the big deal u know how many other teams have older QB;s and WR quite a few
and BTW reggie wanye is 33 has well

but hes right look at the AFCS all 3 foes will prob be playing rookie QB's agian

Gabbert
Luck
Locker

all 3 of thoes Qb's will prob score 10 points or less aganist this D ....!!! :P

Brett Favre, who had his share of injuries since 1991, did not really sustain a truly non-rehabilitative injury until 2010.

Quote:
1. First-degree left-shoulder separation
Year: 1991

Favre file: Suffered injury against Chicago, led comeback victory over Philadelphia the next week.

Feels like: Soreness of movement when lifting your arm above your head. But otherwise, not so bad -- although a third-degree sprain entails total dislocation of the joint, a first-degree change is minor. "On a [1-10] pain scale, it's probably a 3," says Stuart Yoss, team chiropractor for the Chicago Blackhawks and a former team chiropractor for the Bears.

Standard treatment: Rest, ice and anti-inflammatories. Possibly a sling.

Average recovery time: Two to four weeks.

Weekend warrior impact: Makes sleeping and getting dressed difficult. Solution? Don't sleep or change clothes. In other words, this may be the ideal injury for "Black Ops" addicts.

2. Deep-thigh bruise
Year: 1993

Favre file: Sustained injury against Tampa Bay -- then threw winning touchdown pass on the next play.

Feels like: Potentially very painful -- think the worst charley horse of all time. Standing, walking, using stairs and even sitting can be brutal, in part because sufferers can't always straighten their knees.

Standard treatment: Ice, massage, rest and light stretching. Possibly a few days on crutches. If a collection of blood forms, a needle can be placed in the thigh to remove fluid. Yuck.

Average recovery time: One to six weeks.

Weekend warrior impact: Major impairment -- and unhappiness -- until it heals. "If this happens to a normal person, they'll be limping around and complaining to their [spouse] that they can't do anything," Yoss says.

3. Severely bruised left hip
Year: 1994

Favre file: Suffered injury against Minnesota; enjoyed bye week before playing next game against Chicago.

Feels like: Also known as a hip pointer. "It's very painful due to all the nerves that cross the hip ridge," says Dr. Cindy Trowbridge, clinical education director for the Athletic Training Education Program at the University of Texas at Arlington. "It hurts to breathe, laugh and even sit up." Other than that, Mr. Favre, how did you like the play?

Standard treatment: Requires stretching and occasional injections. Avoid walking on ice.

Average recovery time: One to six weeks.

Weekend warrior impact: Joint pounding and body-twisting activities -- such as running and golf -- are out. And since laughing is painful, you're better off avoiding free to read Page 2 during your office lunch break.

4. Severely sprained left ankle
Year: 1995

Favre file: Suffered injury against Minnesota, then set quarterback rating career high the next week versus Chicago.

Feels like: Very painful, as "severe" indicates complete tearing of the ligaments on the outside of the ankle, which swells badly and can no longer bear weight. On the other hand, "the ankle turns lots of cool colors," Yoss says. Suffer for your body art!

Standard treatment: Rest, ice, elevation and anti-inflammatories. Crutches or a walking boot. Possible brace once you return to normal activities, probable rehab to prevent reinjury.

Average recovery time: Two to three months. Do not skip rehab. "Sprains that are not treated can become chronic and lead to instability of the ankle," says Dr. Gary Brazina, an orthopedic surgeon and team doctor for the Los Angeles Kings and Clippers.

Weekend warrior impact: In the short term, you can kiss rec league hoops goodbye; in the long term, you may have to remake yourself as a long-distance set shooter. "Unfortunately, when an ankle isn't fractured it usually doesn't get treated seriously in the general population," Trowbridge says. "You'll get crutches, an Ace wrap and be told to take Advil. But physical therapy is needed to restore the ankle."

5. Wind knocked out, twice, and coughed up blood

Brett Favre was coughing up blood after this game against Pittsburgh in 1995.
Year: 1995

Favre file: Suffered against Pittsburgh but remained in game and led Green Bay to victory.

Feels like: Getting hit by a baseball bat in your gut. Hard. "It's like you're suffocating and can't catch your breath no matter how hard you try," says Dr. Stephen Hunt, a sports health specialist at Morristown Memorial Hospital in Morristown, N.J.

Standard treatment: Rest -- that is, after you've gone to the hospital and undergone a bunch of costly tests (MRI scan, X-rays, pulmonary function studies). "A potentially serious injury," Brazina says. "More likely than not, it will cause damage to lung tissue. An individual needs to be watched closely to be sure that the lung has not collapsed and bleeding is controlled."

Average recovery time: If blood indicates rib fractures, up to six weeks; if not, a couple of days. "As long as all organs are intact," Yoss adds. Right. That, too.

Weekend warrior impact: Avoid strenuous activity for a few weeks.

6. Sprained right thumb
Year: 1999

Favre file: Suffered during preseason game against Denver and played much of the season with the injury.

Feels like: Ouch. Swelling at the base of the thumb and in the palm. Reduction in grip strength. Coincidentally, a common ski injury.

Standard treatment: Ice, rest, anti-inflammatories. Also, a splint or brace is crucial, because otherwise it's almost impossible to rest the joint and allow it to heal properly.

Average recovery time: Four to six weeks -- unless there's complete instability in the joint, in which case you might need surgery.

Weekend warrior impact: You'll be back in the office the next day. But everything -- from typing to driving to opening jars -- is going to be a literal and figurative pain. "We take our thumb for granted, but his injury brings us back to being an ape," Yoss says. "Without using our opposable thumb, there is not much of a difference."

7. Right-elbow tendinitis
Year(s): 2000, 2010

Favre file: Suffered in 2000 training camp and missed three preseason games.

Feels like: Reduced grip and wrist strength. Typically mild to moderate pain. That said, the more you use the elbow joint -- practically speaking, the more you use your afflicted arm -- the more painful it becomes.

Standard treatment: Ice, anti-inflammatories, possible brace, definite rest. Maybe a cortisone injection. Possible surgery to remove scar tissue.

Average recovery time: Four to 12 weeks. As a general rule, Trowbridge says, it takes two to three times as long to recover from symptoms as it took to develop them.

Weekend warrior impact: Like a sprained thumb, elbow tendinitis -- often called tennis or golfer's elbow -- affects every aspect of daily life. "A lot of people have trouble pouring a cup of coffee," Yoss says. Oh, and no Wii bowling, either.

8. Left mid-foot sprain
Year: 2000

Favre file: Suffered when sacked against Tampa Bay, led Green Bay to victory over Indianapolis the next week.

Feels like: An injury to the arch of the foot. Mild soreness to major pain, depending on the severity of the sprain. Can't bear weight.

Standard treatment: Rest, ice and anti-inflammatories. Possibly crutches or a walking boot.

Average recovery time: One to 12 weeks. Again, depends on the severity.

Weekend warrior impact: No recreational sports for up to three months -- including golf, as rotation of the foot would be difficult.

9. Sprained lateral collateral ligament, left knee
Year: 2002

Favre file: Suffered when sacked against Washington. Recovered during bye week and wore knee brace for most of remaining season games.

Feels like: Mild to moderate pain, and a feeling of instability in the knee. The good news? Unless you're a skier or involved in full-contact backyard Thanksgiving football games, you're unlikely to suffer a sprained LCL, which usually strikes high school and college athletes.

Standard treatment: Ice, rest and crutches. A hinged knee brace. Rehab only if you ask for it.

Average recovery time: Six to 12 weeks.

Weekend warrior impact: Office and home life are fine, but activities involving running, cutting and jumping are out. In other words: It won't get you out of raking leaves. Bleah.

10. Broken right thumb
Year: 2003

Favre file: Suffered against St. Louis; after bye week, threw three touchdown passes in victory over Minnesota.

Feels like: Moderate pain, but function can be completely impaired depending on the nature of the fracture.

Standard treatment: Arm placed in a cast for four to six weeks, followed by a splint for a few additional weeks. Next comes rehab to improve range of motion and strength. After that, you'll still be sore.

Average recovery time: Six weeks. Four months if surgery is required.

Weekend warrior impact: No sports until fully healed. Cast makes typing difficult. Anything that requires gripping is a no-no.

11. Softball-sized bruise, left hamstring
Year: 2004

Favre file: Suffered against Indianapolis; threw four touchdown passes in a loss.

Feels like: Very painful. Bending knee and flexing hip are difficult. Also, it's visually disconcerting. "Normally, it starts as black and blue from bleeding within the muscle," Yoss says. "Then it will turn yellow and green. What freaks most people out is that gravity starts pulling the blood down towards the feet, and bruising starts to occur in areas lower than where the injury occurred. That means there is some good muscle tearing happening." Um, isn't that bad muscle tearing?

Standard treatment: Rest, ice and compression.

Average recovery time: Seven to 10 days to walk without pain; at least six weeks to return to athletic activity.

Weekend warrior impact: Rising from a chair is tough -- and sadly, the NFL RedZone channel broadcasts for only a half-dozen hours every Sunday.

12. Concussion (described as "mild")
[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/David Stluka
A hit by the Giants' William Joseph knocked Favre out of the game in 2004.

Favre file: Suffered against New York Giants; famously re-entered game and threw a touchdown pass before team forced him to sit.

Feels like: If you're lucky, a headache that lasts for a few days; if you're unlucky, dizziness, sleep loss and emotional changes due to brain bruising.

Standard treatment: Rest; no return to play until all symptoms are gone.

Average recovery time: Days to months. No two concussions are alike.

Weekend warrior impact: Hard to concentrate; light sensitivity; nausea; working on a computer may cause and/or exacerbate a headache. "Some symptoms last for a long time," Trowbridge says. "Slow reaction time, concentration issues and balance issues are often the worst." Decision-making and driving ability also may be impaired.

13. Sprained right hand

Favre file: Suffered against Dallas; led Green Bay to victory.

Feels like: Pretty painful if you're right-handed.

Standard treatment: Ice and a brace to protect the injured hand.

Average recovery time: Two weeks in the brace; about four weeks total.

Weekend warrior impact: Anything you do with your right hand, you'll have to switch to your left. Even mouse-clicking.

14. Injured ulnar nerve, right elbow
Year: 2006

Favre file: Suffered against New England and left game. Lost game next week against Seattle.

Feels like: Repeatedly hitting your funny bone. A tingling, painful sensation up and down the arm. Numbness of the small and ring finger. Can cause arm and hand muscles to become weak. Severe injuries can cause permanent hand paralysis.

Standard treatment: Stretching exercises and avoiding elbow irritation can alleviate the tingling. Splinting the arm during sleep can reduce tension on the nerve. Chronic irritation may require surgery.

Average recovery time: Varies. If surgery is required to release a compressed nerve, add two to three months.

Weekend warrior impact: Similar to tendinitis.

15. Bone spurs, left ankle
Year: 2006

Favre file: Uncertain when Favre first experienced problems; had surgery after 2006-07 NFL season.

Feels like: Very painful if the injury is near nerves or soft tissues such as muscle and tendon. Also counts as chronic, annoying problem -- any time you put the ankle in a particular position, you'll feel pain. Often caused by arthritic degeneration in the joint due to overuse and trauma.

Standard treatment: Avoid the particular position or have surgery to remove the spurs. Painkillers can mask the hurt.

Average recovery time: Six to eight weeks of immobilization after surgery, followed by three to four months of rehab.

Weekend warrior impact: Simply put, you'll be hobbled.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read