Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Is Goodell good for the game of football?
I HATE him. 3 16.67%
He's just not a good Commish 5 27.78%
I don't know yet.. 4 22.22%
He's alright I guess. 4 22.22%
He is AWESOME. 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rodger Goodell...Good for the game or Not?

Quote:
With respect to the league (NFL) as a business, I think he is doing a great job for them. And this angle is what he seems to have stuck to throughout his time there. He is doing everything to make the league more accessible and attractive to the consumer. He understands what customers want and he gives it to them. He is decisive and seems to always align himself in the best interest of the league first and the customers a close second.

Some things that he has done that make the NFL more accessible to customers:

1. Addressing the concussion issue. To be clear, he only addressed it - nothing more. He hasn't pushed to solve it in a holistic way but he has protected the NFL by addressing it and adding procedures (useful?) by which teams check and deal with concussions. This placates the fans that something is being done to protect the players but isn't so much that it takes away the excitement of the game and in turn the love for the game that the fans have. (Yes, violence is a large part of the reason you watch the NFL - deal with it). Player safety is treated as a secondary issue (at least thats what I see from his actions.)

2. Stiff penalties for coaches and players who break the rules. I would have to do a little research to see if the commissioner's stiff penalties have actually reduced the amount of drugs taken and the number of arrests of NFL players. But more important than that, these penalties signal to the fan that their interests - ie that the game is fair and that they aren't watching an orchestrated event - is very important to the league. Again the commissioner keeps the fans happy and the NFL business growing.

3. Growing the NFL
Goodell has introduced the playing of some games in London and Toronto. All of which have been sold out. He decisively killed off an underperforming product - NFL Europe and now plans for expansion to the rest of the world. I think he really is focussed on growing the NFL pie.

From a player's standpoint, I think he must be hated. It would be hard not to be with the way he puts the player's needs past the NFL's business needs. Anytime he exercises his power, some coach or player usually has to pay the penalty. And a lot of players have publicly commented negatively on the commissioner making more money than they do.

But in the end, when it comes to customer satisfaction with the fans he does a great job because that aligns closely with making the NFL a successful business which seems to be his main goal. And he's doing a pretty job that way.
http://www.quora.com/NFL/Is-Roger-Go...L-commissioner
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rodger Goodell...Good for the game or Not?

I voted "I Don't Know Yet" because I lean toward him being "good" but ultimately I need to see what NFL football looks like 10 years from now.

That's going to be the measure of his tenure, IMO. Will the measures he's set forth today...reap benefits 10 years from now...or will it have reduced the game into something less than what we expect it to be?

Only time will tell. Right now, he's trying--IMO--to protect the game from spiraling into a P.R. debacle of suicidal and stumbling mumbling ex-players who are a shell of their former self.

To me, the concussion issue is THE hardest aspect to control/remedy. There are simply too many players who will sacrifice the long term health for the short term gain of hiding their concussion or coming back from it too early. In the NFL, if you snooze you lose...and that dog-eat-dog mentality is what I think gets players into long term health problems.

They know if they don't perform, they lose their roster spot. And I think that's got to change. They've got to build in some protections for guys who receive concussions--almost like a specialized I.R. situation. From what CnD said, the brain needs time to bounce back from a concussion...if it's given proper time to recover, the player usually benefits in the long run. Rushing back to the field and getting concussed again is a compounding effect that has bad long term results. There's a threshold there that has to be honored.
Old 05-23-2012   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

None of those poll answers represented my feelings so i abstained from doing that, but i do believe he's trying to do what's best for the game and the longevity of its players. I don't think he needs to hold as much power as he does when it comes to disciplining players for fines and suspensions, and I don't think i'm the only one there.

I believe he's doing a good job but we'll have to wait and see how these changes he's making affect the game long term.
Old 05-23-2012   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think he's doing what he's doing because of liability rather than out of some desire to see the players taken care of. But what I really hate him for is the crappy ass rules he's put in place. You cannot exempt the QB position from being hit when you're also making the game as offense oriented as it is. I hate the rules that he's put in that basically make it so the receiver cannot be hit until he's secured the ball. Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater would not be who they were in today's NFL. Mostly, however, I hate the inherent subjectivity that is involved in these types of rules and how he's allowed that to flourish. For the rules that really do have to exist for the safety of the game, make concrete, clearly defined rules that require no subjectivity to enforce.

And if he's really serious about the safety of the game, then he should take a hard stance against PEDs. They make everyone bigger and faster, and Mr. Physics dictates that those things are making the game a helluva lot more brutal than it used to be, even with the rules changes. Sure, we don't need Night Train Lane out there clotheslining people - rules make a difference. But when you have 'roided up giants smashing into each other at faster speeds than ever before, Mr. Physics dictates that things break. Take sensible rules and then get people back down to human being sized players, and the game will be fine.
Old 05-23-2012   #5
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think everything he is doing around player safety is spin and damage control. He is trying to get ahead of the coming surge of lawsuits.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think he's doing what he's doing because of liability rather than out of some desire to see the players taken care of. But what I really hate him for is the crappy ass rules he's put in place. You cannot exempt the QB position from being hit when you're also making the game as offense oriented as it is. I hate the rules that he's put in that basically make it so the receiver cannot be hit until he's secured the ball. Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater would not be who they were in today's NFL. Mostly, however, I hate the inherent subjectivity that is involved in these types of rules and how he's allowed that to flourish. For the rules that really do have to exist for the safety of the game, make concrete, clearly defined rules that require no subjectivity to enforce.

And if he's really serious about the safety of the game, then he should take a hard stance against PEDs. They make everyone bigger and faster, and Mr. Physics dictates that those things are making the game a helluva lot more brutal than it used to be, even with the rules changes. Sure, we don't need Night Train Lane out there clotheslining people - rules make a difference. But when you have 'roided up giants smashing into each other at faster speeds than ever before, Mr. Physics dictates that things break. Take sensible rules and then get people back down to human being sized players, and the game will be fine.
I hear what you're saying and I agree with a lot of it...

I chose that I think he is ok....

I don't like a lot of the rule changes that he's made, but I think he has helped the game to flourish somewhat...Then again, it's football....

It'd probably be a popular sport no matter what. Especially with all the negativie things that have happened in some other sports.

But I do think that the tighter structure and pulling in the reigns some in will be good in the long run...even if it loosens back up in the future...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to be complimentary ..... but he's better than Selig or Stern.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2012   #8
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

eriadoc's view is pretty much where my take on the issue is and it sure saved me a lot of keystrokes.

rep

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read