Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2012   #141
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Hold onto whatever illusions you like. Guys 5'5 169 lbs or in the same mold are more injury prone. PERIOD.
What is your beef with Holliday? QUESTION MARK?

Nobody is saying he is going to be a star, but if he can give us 10 plays or so, he has game breaking speed and can really help the team. PERIOD.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #142
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Nobody is saying he is going to be a star, but if he can give us 10 plays or so, he has game breaking speed and can really help the team.
I would love to see that as well. I WANT him to succeed. Out of all the people named I think we forgot one...

Trindon Holliday injury status - injured reserve - 16 games + playoffs ! (exclimation point)
Old 06-01-2012   #143
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Welker injury status probable/questionable/IR -30 career games

woodhead injury status IR/questionable/probable - 27 career games

Danny Amedola injury status IR/questionable/doubtfull - 19 career games

Julian Edelman injury status questionable/OUT/probable/doubtfull -25 career games

desean jackson injury status probable/questionable/out -12 career games

Darren sproles injury status questionable/IR -26 career games
perfect example that everybody gets injured eventually in football, though several of those injuries had nothing to do with size or impact. wes welker's knee giving out without being touched for example. mario williams is just about a perfect physical specimen in football and always had a nagging injury, andre's not far behind. sure you dont want little guys being your wedge busters or taking a 5 yard cross against a cover 2, but that's common sense - similar actions are taken at every position to protect from major and unseen hits. obviously leading him blindly into patrick willis is going to hurt holliday a lot more than it would brandon marshall, but that's why coaches try to be smart about these guys (such as limiting snaps). given that, i'm no more concerned about the odds of holliday getting hurt than i would be anyone else on the team.

Quote:
Trindon Holliday injury status - injured reserve - 16 games + playoffs
kinda hard to hold that one against him, as i understand it was a relatively minor thumb injury that was enough to allow him on IR instead of using a space on the practice squad.

i get what you're saying, but at only 5'5" there's proportionately plenty of muscle on the kid. i dont think he's going to make it because of the fear about his size as well as how specialized his role would have to be, but he's definitely fun for me to root for because of being that elusive waterbug with world class speed. get him the ball and see what he can create.
Old 06-01-2012   #144
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trindon Holliday injury status - injured reserve - 16 games + playoffs ! (exclimation point)
Trindon was not on the injured reserve last year. He was on the practice squad and was even called up for 1 game in which he didn't get the chance to do anything other than fair catch.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #145
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Trindon was not on the injured reserve last year. He was on the practice squad and was even called up for 1 game in which he didn't get the chance to do anything other than fair catch.
he was IR'd his rookie season with a thumb injury.
Old 06-01-2012   #146
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

ooops. Yup 2011. A season nonetheless. I actually want to see him make it as a kick returner. Just dont think he's gonna hold up. Doesnt k martin do kick offs and punt return duties?
Old 06-01-2012   #147
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thread with somebody ripping on Holliday. Lord, help me.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2012   #148
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
he was IR'd his rookie season with a thumb injury.
I know that.
Old 06-01-2012   #149
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
It's the offseason...what did you expect?
Old 06-01-2012   #150
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Trinidon has had to deal with size issues from when he was just a youngster. He has always been labelled as too good to be true. Yet he has, at least to this point, been able to run with the big boys.

Quote:
Issues with size

Holliday returns a kickoff in the second half against South Carolina on September 22, 2007.Holliday had a difficult time getting started in football. His mother held him out of football until 7th grade, because she was afraid he would get hurt. After several years of performing at a high level, his high school coaches finally let him start as a running back during his junior year. In his senior year he accumulated over 2,000 yards and over 30 touchdowns, leading Northeast High to back-to-back State Semi-Final appearances.

Fearing that college recruiters would not believe Holliday's actual running times, his high school coaches added to his recorded times before sending them in. Despite his speed records, several schools, including Duke and Louisiana-Lafayette, rejected Holliday due to his small size.

Holliday was never scheduled to appear at LSU's camp. LSU was interested in another Northeast player, (WR Aaron Brown) but that player didn't want to go to the camp alone. So David Masterson, Holliday's high school coach, took Holliday along also. After initial workouts, Holliday ran the 40 in 4.28 seconds wearing high top basketball shoes. The time was so outrageous that the LSU coaches began arguing if they had started their stopwatches on time. "They asked me if Trindon could run it again," Masterson said. "He didn't even get in a track stance. He ran the second 40 in 4.27. He's one of those little freaks of nature." Despite this, LSU coach Les Miles still considered canceling Holliday's scholarship offer until holdover offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher convinced Miles that Holliday could play at a college level.
Reported in one source I've read to be ~4.20 (He went on to run an NFL Combine 40 in 4.21).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #151
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Holliday has world class speed, that much is certain. I won't say he'll ever amount to anything on the Texans, but that speed will allow him to hang on with teams - whether that's on the playing roster or practice squad - for the next few years barring leg injuries.

I would love for the Texans to spend an entire drive during preseason getting the ball in Holiday's hands. Just one drive. Whether it's deep balls, bubble screens, toss plays as a running back even. Anything to see if he's capable of making a play or two during the regular season.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #152
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Old 06-01-2012   #153
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes I think kubes really talks up some of the players that deserve to get a chance, wether it's from good attitude or talent. I am talking about players that are going to have a tough time making the team due to numbers. It would not surprise me that his name keeps coming up all the way to the day he is let go, for the sole reason of helping him find another team.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #154
Rey
Hall of Fame

Sproles is about an inch taller and about 15-20 lbs heavier.

Not a HUGE difference, but I think if Sproles can survive in the land of the Giants Holiday has a good shot at doing so.
Old 06-01-2012   #155
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Sometimes I think kubes really talks up some of the players that deserve to get a chance, wether it's from good attitude or talent. I am talking about players that are going to have a tough time making the team due to numbers. It would not surprise me that his name keeps coming up all the way to the day he is let go, for the sole reason of helping him find another team.
bingo... im reminded of last yr (maybe two) when he was continually praising that DT(edit: Malcolm sheppard) that the titans ended up signing off our practice squad
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #156
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
that's an unfortunate truth that i hadnt thought of. kubiak does tend to talk up guys, especially fringe players, who will be looking to get onto another team in the near future.
Old 06-01-2012   #157
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
that's an unfortunate truth that i hadnt thought of. kubiak does tend to talk up guys, especially fringe players, who will be looking to get onto another team in the near future.
Ive wondered if he does it on fringe players who either have a weak ego or need to be pushed. He knows they see everything he says.
Old 06-01-2012   #158
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ive wondered if he does it on fringe players who either have a weak ego or need to be pushed. He knows they see everything he says.
Players probably pay $100 per compliment. So kubes is just getting a little offseason beer money
Old 06-01-2012   #159
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Players probably pay $100 per compliment. So kubes is just getting a little offseason beer money
I like pirbrokes theory. Kubiak was a player. If they're handing out beer money i'll say nice things to!
Old 06-01-2012   #160
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
somebody mention beer

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read