Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

OTA thread

My observations from today at my blog.

Houston Texans OTAs 2012 – My thoughts and yours

I'm planning to go to all of these. If you have any particular questions/comments, let me know on the blog. It's hard to put all the observations down due to life time constraints + well, it's practice. But it is easier to respond to particular questions.

Also, I will try to Tweet new of the day post-OTA. During OTAs they don't allow Tweeting, but after practice I can.

Is Cushing looking less jacked?

thumb.php

I think they should let an old lady just stand there and watch! What damage could I do? I need a FOOTBALL FIX REAL BAD!!!!:shetexan:

LOL, me too! It would be sooooo much nicer weather wise to let us watch now instead of training camp! :hot:

I think they should let an old lady just stand there and watch! What damage could I do? I need a FOOTBALL FIX REAL BAD!!!!:shetexan:

Same here.

With Louiseau, and the 90, it wasn't like that though. I thought, "cool, I hope he makes it."

My first thought seeing Loiseau was "Damn. He looks big." But that picture was him beside some smaller guys; DBs, I think. I saw him next to Mercilus and it was like... Oh, OK. Not so big, then.

This year feels so much different than last year because of the lockout. All we were hearing about this time last year was about negotiations. I think everyone is locked into the off-season workouts more than any year ever because of that missed time and how guys are developing. I know for a fact I've never EVER checked in to see how the first day of OTA's went.

I was looking through them and then thought .. hey, that's not Demeco! Not enough time or distance yet :(

I feel the same way! I just don't like it, not yet! It'll take some getting use to and I'm just not ready. I think he didn't take #90 cause he was afraid of being compared to Mario. Kinda chicken S on his part. JMO!

I feel the same way! I just don't like it, not yet! It'll take some getting use to and I'm just not ready. I think he didn't take #90 cause he was afraid of being compared to Mario. Kinda chicken S on his part. JMO!

He's a linebacker. They usually take numbers in the 50's. Linemen usually take numbers in the 90's. The UDFA linebacker Loiseau got the 90 because he's probably not making the team.

He's a linebacker. They usually take numbers in the 50's. Linemen usually take numbers in the 90's. The UDFA linebacker Loiseau got the 90 because he's probably not making the team.

I don't think his likelihood to make the team had anything to do with him taking #90...

There are no other 50 numbers available...

I don't think his likelihood to make the team had anything to do with him taking #90...

There are no other 50 numbers available...

Yeah. I wasn't clear with what I was trying to say.

Mercilus took 59 because it's the linebacker number and there were no others available and he had first choice.

Loiseau took 90 because he's a linebacker but as a UDFA, he had to take whatever was left.

There are probably going to be some guys wearing some numbers for other positions during TC.

Not a fan of Mercilus wearing #59. Just looks awkward.

But I get it: Numbers are numbers and there's a helluva' lot of linebackers in the 34 defense.

Whoever made the slideshow had a caption on Bullock/Graham/Weeks and put that Shayne Graham was a punter. LOL. Quality work at the Chronicle, as usual.

JJ Watt walking down those steps (in the slideshow) looks huge. He dwarfs everything, even stairs.

Unfortunately you better get used to it.

That's the way NFL works players fungible commidity. Hate to say it but being a fan of the team winning takes precedence over any fandom of players. As it should be. IMHO You very rarely get to have it both ways.

But I do understand where you are coming from.

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Kubiak: Fangupo hope to be back next week. Holding out Sharpton right now, will be ready for camp. #TexansOTA

he always looks less jacked in practice, he is like iron man though, once he puts on the suit/pads he looks like the hulk. Weird transformation :roast:

no, no, no...
he's Captain America...
Texans-As-The-Avengers-Via-@Northside_Mike-407x600.png

...now if we could just turn Case Keenum into Hawkeye...
:)

That's an awesome picture but I disagree with the characters. JJ Watt is the prototypical Captain America, his celebration is even a salute. Cushing is The Hulk because he pretty much acts like him on the field. Brooks is Thor for obvious reasons. Barwin can be Iron Man due to his versatility and being able to throw out a bunch of pass rush moves.

Wow!!! Still spazzing? Mariwho??? Demecwho?

Ryans was a much bigger part of this team, and he will be sorely missed, but we have to move on from jersey numbers. There's only one Texan (or former Texan) who is a potential HOF'er right now. And that is iffy as hell.

Wade: “Yeah, Whit, I think it’s not too big for him[Mercilus], so that’s the first thing you look for in rookies. Sometimes they get overrun. He hasn’t had that problem. He rushed real well today, and that’s what we’re looking for him to do in the defense, and he had a good day rushing the passer.”

Cush does not look in football shape; He needs to have blood dripping!!

Interesting comments on Derek Newton & I hope LZ is correct. Would be nice for him to replace Butler in 2013.

Cush does not look in football shape; He needs to have blood dripping!!

Interesting comments on Derek Newton & I hope LZ is correct. Would be nice for him to replace Butler in 2013.

Suggest checking out this picture

I took this picture so people could see the relative sizes of the legs of Brooks, Butler and Newton. Hard to tell in just shorts, but Brooks is an impressive physical guy in person. Thick. Not fat. His legs are so much thicker than Butler's. Hope he plays to his size.

Newton looks fairly beastly too, and has plenty of reps in the offense. You could watch Imax movies on Newton's backside.

Wow!!! Still spazzing? Mariwho??? Demecwho?

Ryans was a much bigger part of this team, and he will be sorely missed, but we have to move on from jersey numbers. There's only one Texan (or former Texan) who is a potential HOF'er right now. And that is iffy as hell.

Nope! Not spazzin, just still irritated. I accept the fact that I'm a sentimenal old fool, BUT, I'm not stup*d! I understand the reasons behind the trade, I just think RS is a slimball for doing things the way he did with Meco. He was in kahoots with the Eagles GM for weeks prior to the trade, (they are very good friends) and from what I've read, and heard, Demeco had no idea they were planning to ax him. Truthfully, I think Wade Phillips wanted Bradie James, so Meco had to go. Who's to say a healthy Meco couldn't adjust? I'm not trying to argue, that's pointless, just venting my opinion.

...Demeco had no idea they were planning to ax him. Truthfully, I think Wade Phillips wanted Bradie James, so Meco had to go. Who's to say a healthy Meco couldn't adjust? I'm not trying to argue, that's pointless, just venting my opinion.

"Demeco saw writing on the wall" thread

...“My feelings weren’t hurt,” Ryans said over the weekend at his golf tournament in Alabama, via the Tuscaloosa News. “I saw the road changing during the season last year. I kind of start[ed] seeing that, maybe this can’t go on for too long. So when the move came, I was OK with it.”...

Suggest checking out this picture

I took this picture so people could see the relative sizes of the legs of Brooks, Butler and Newton. Hard to tell in just shorts, but Brooks is an impressive physical guy in person. Thick. Not fat. His legs are so much thicker than Butler's. Hope he plays to his size.

Newton looks fairly beastly too, and has plenty of reps in the offense. You could watch Imax movies on Newton's backside.

Dont worry about Brooks, He is a stud that will be starting some time next yr.

Best Texans draft pick IMHO

Texans Chick, could you give us an update and or opinion on Ben Jones-C, Dwight Jones-WR, Jared Crick-DE, and Brandon Harris-CB? I'd like to know how more of our newbies are coming along. Thanks.

Texans Chick, could you give us an update and or opinion on Ben Jones-C, Dwight Jones-WR, Jared Crick-DE, and Brandon Harris-CB? I'd like to know how more of our newbies are coming along. Thanks.

Haven't been watching much of the corners other than when they've been doing team stuff against the WR. Very much paying attention to WR. None of the corners have really made you go, "ugh" but then again, it isn't like they are going one on one on Andre Johnson.

Jones/Crick look the parts but until they have more than just shorts on hard to say.

Physically, Jones looks more like a Andre Johnson body type and Posey looks like more of a Kevin Walter body type just when you see them standing together. Both Jones and Posey really haven't had a ton of targets in team stuff. Jones looks very physically impressive though. Posey I noticed a few times just because it looked like he had soft hands--looked very fluid catching the ball.

So early yet. I'm going back out today. Earliest I will be doing the Twitter thing will be about 11:40ish with any new of day, interesting pictures. (Can't Tweet during OTAs) If there is anything in particular you want me to birddog, please send comments/questions to @StephStradley

When people have asked me, I've said he's the Texans rookie to watch.

He reminds me a bit like Eric Winston his rookie year--when he is with the 2s, he just looks like he should be with the 1s instead. Kind of like the Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the others." He's just beastly looking.

When people have asked me, I've said he's the Texans rookie to watch.

He reminds me a bit like Eric Winston his rookie year--when he is with the 2s, he just looks like he should be with the 1s instead. Kind of like the Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the others." He's just beastly looking.

Men that big , fast , and strong can't be held back unless they have Ferdinand syndrome or can't learn the playbook . I read he scored a 22 on his Wundelich .

Back