Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2012   #361
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Who is this kid? I see that he is the son of Keith Browner, and played LB/DE at Cal, but is he simply an UDFA? Did he even get any draft buzz?
There isn't much out there about Browner Jr. But here is an August 2010 San Franscisco Chronicle article about him and his well known football family. He is not only an UDFA, but he is LAST year's UDFA. He had a rather lackluster USC career. He has always been a tweener DE/OLB. Pretty tall and lanky at 6' 6" and 250 pounds. I noted that he listed on the Texans roster on all the regular websites EXCEPT HT.COM.

Football is Keith Browner Jr.'s family business
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #362
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone heard anything about Fangupo-NT since he came back from his minor injury at the beginning of OTA's? Just wondering how he looks on the field and if he has real possibility of making the roster.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #363
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Fangupo-NT since he came back from his minor injury at the beginning of OTA's? Just wondering how he looks on the field and if he has real possibility of making the roster.
Fangupo never returned to action before OTAs finished up.
Old 06-21-2012   #364
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That does not sound good. Weren't they original saying he'd only be out for a few days? I guess we kind of knew this coming in though with his history.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #365
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1876 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate this time of offseason. After the Super Bowl it is talking about free agency the cap and then it is on to actual free agency (the most stressful time of year for a fan). Then you have all the draft talk. Then the draft. Then you have some time to talk about the draft and get to know some of your players. Then you start with OTA's and minicamps and get too see some football. And finally you have now. No draft free agency TC battles Preseason battles nothing. No news is good news for your team but you want news because it is so boring. I hate this time of year.
/rant over.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #366
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't seen this posted:

Quote:
Coming off a season in which he showed the Texans flashes of superstar ability, Watt shouldn't have much to regret. Watt had a pick six of Andy Dalton in the wild-card playoffs to help lead Houston to its first-ever postseason victory. The following week, he finished with 2.5 sacks and nine tackles in a divisional-round loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

With the offseason departures of Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans, Watt will be asked to become a consistent force on Wade Phillips' defense. The unit finished second in the league last season, and Watt knows the expectations are far higher heading into 2012.

"We're definitely aware of expectations, and I think they're even higher in our room than they are on the outside world," he said. "Last year, I believed we finished No. 2 in overall defense, this year we want to be No. 1. It takes a lot of hard work and it's not going to be easy, but it's our goal and we expect nothing less."

The Texans raised eyebrows by trading linebacker DeMeco Ryans to the Philadelphia Eagles, but Watt believes the defense won't skip a beat.

"I think initially there was a little bit of a shock factor, but now that we've been through the OTAs and Bradie James has come in and really filled that role as well as he possibly could," he said. "We're going to be just fine. We're going to have no issues from that.

"DeMeco's a great guy and he's going to have a heck of a career in Philly, but we're going to be just fine."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #367
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He practiced with the team during minicamp. Here's a quote from Kubiak on the first day of minicamp:

Quote:
(on the health of the team) “No, we’re good. Loni (Hebron Fangupo) is back on the field today, that’s important. He’s way behind. Other than that, we’re fine.
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2012   #368
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG 365 View Post
He practiced with the team during minicamp. Here's a quote from Kubiak on the first day of minicamp:
Thanks. From what I heard he did not actually "practice" with the team on Wednesday and Thursday.
Old 06-21-2012   #369
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nah, he was out there during minicamps practicing. Kubiak says he's behind, which is understandable given he missed time with his knee.

I'm not sure if he is going to be fit enough to survive the Texans camp.
Old 06-21-2012   #370
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So anyway TC, tell us what your thoughts of our jumbo 3rd round rookie Olineman are ? Oh I know he's real big, what I want to know is how does he move ? Does he appear to be athletic, move with a decent amount of foot speed instead of being slow and clumsy ?
Hard to tell in shorts. No real pass rush.

Always been sort of a wonder whether a large sized guy could survive the heat of the Texans training camp. Not a ton of them have come through the organization.

IIRC, final day of minicamp, Brooks had to leave practice near the end because he puked while lined up in his stance. Left to be treated for heat issues, and Kubiak said he was fine.

It is not unusual for the rookies in particular to be shocked by the pace of Texans practice in that sort of heat.

He looks like he holds weight well. Calling him out during minicamp was the best thing. He's trying to scare the rookies into not doing nonsense in this vacation gap of time before training camp.
Old 06-21-2012   #371
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Hard to tell in shorts. No real pass rush.

Always been sort of a wonder whether a large sized guy could survive the heat of the Texans training camp. Not a ton of them have come through the organization.

IIRC, final day of minicamp, Brooks had to leave practice near the end because he puked while lined up in his stance. Left to be treated for heat issues, and Kubiak said he was fine.

It is not unusual for the rookies in particular to be shocked by the pace of Texans practice in that sort of heat.

He looks like he holds weight well. Calling him out during minicamp was the best thing. He's trying to scare the rookies into not doing nonsense in this vacation gap of time before training camp.
I sure hope it takes. As a third rounder he needs to do whatever he needs to do to earn a spot. I'm sure Kubes will keep riding him like a two bit fair pony if he needs to to get his point across. It's been proven that spending some time in the HC's 'doghouse' has straightened up at least one rookie.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #372
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Nah, he was out there during minicamps practicing. Kubiak says he's behind, which is understandable given he missed time with his knee.

I'm not sure if he is going to be fit enough to survive the Texans camp.
Sounds like a candidate for the IR if he cant get healthy in time.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #373
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is what you said:

What the hell does fan confidence have to do with anything? NFL teams rarely rotate OLmen. They certainly aren't going to change their standard practices for fan confidence.
What the hell (see I can say that also) does me saying fans have confidence in only two Olinemen and me hoping our Oline will be deep enough to allow a rotation? Just because most NFL teams don't use a rotation doesn't mean Texans have to follow that. It is possible teams don't use a rotation because their depth is not strong enough to allow that. I think it is possible if Butler had been healthy last season we could have seen him used in a rotation at RT. Some have posted that Winston had an off year so it is very plausible that Butler could have gotten a good look there especially knowing now he replaced Winston.
Old 06-22-2012   #374
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What the hell (see I can say that also) does me saying fans have confidence in only two Olinemen and me hoping our Oline will be deep enough to allow a rotation? Just because most NFL teams don't use a rotation doesn't mean Texans have to follow that. It is possible teams don't use a rotation because their depth is not strong enough to allow that. I think it is possible if Butler had been healthy last season we could have seen him used in a rotation at RT. Some have posted that Winston had an off year so it is very plausible that Butler could have gotten a good look there especially knowing now he replaced Winston.
IMO, there should never be a rotation along the Oline. Especially with a team that runs the ZBS where continuity and synchronization play a huge part in their success. The only reason why a team would have any type of rotation along the oline would be due to injury or because a sure fire starter has yet to step up and take the spot (Brisiel and Caldwell).
Old 06-22-2012   #375
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

What Hou Tex said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What the hell (see I can say that also) does me saying fans have confidence in only two Olinemen and me hoping our Oline will be deep enough to allow a rotation?
Hard to respond to an incomplete question.

Wanting better depth and wanting to rotate are two different issues.

Quote:
Just because most NFL teams don't use a rotation doesn't mean Texans have to follow that. It is possible teams don't use a rotation because their depth is not strong enough to allow that.
Yeah I am sure with 32 teams and all the decades of football, rotation is not common on OL because none have had sufficient depth
Old 06-22-2012   #376
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the way defense is rotating more and more through the last few years it's only a matter of time before o-line starts doing the same thing, more so for zone blocking with the constant sprints to the 2nd level.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #377
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me add except for center position, the timing between QB is just to important for rotation
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #378
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Let me add except for center position, the timing between QB is just to important for rotation
And the timing among the oline doesn't matter? The entire ZBS relies on timing and sychronicity along the oline. Come on peeps
Old 06-22-2012   #379
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
I think the way defense is rotating more and more through the last few years it's only a matter of time before o-line starts doing the same thing, more so for zone blocking with the constant sprints to the 2nd level.
I think that they are two different animals.

Apples to oranges....

While continuity is key to both sides of the ball, it's much more key on the O-line. Those guys block in tandem and you all know the ZBS scheme is like a dance.
Old 06-22-2012   #380
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Generally you want 5 guys that are good enough to not rotate, but teams have rotated o linemen. We've rotated o linemen before. It's much more common in lower levels of football, but it does happen occasionally in the pro's.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read