Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2012   #321
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We barely if ever rotate OLmen.
I know & that's why I posted what I did. I think most fans are not confident of Oline other than Brown and Myers.
Old 06-14-2012   #322
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
on how G Brandon Brooks responded to the comments about his weight yesterday) “Well he weighed in lighter so I don’t know what he did last night. He can’t play at the weight he was at yesterday, he can’t help the team. I’m trying to teach him a lesson now before we get started.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...5-80fe1ddd9883
Brooks is getting deeper and deeper into Kubiaks dog-house. The HCs comments have a decidedly disgusted tone to them.
WR DeVier Posey) “He’s inconsistent. He missed a year of football, which you can tell. He has to respond to corrections quicker, but the talent is all there. Missing all that ball last year has had an effect on him, so we have to get him caught up.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...5-80fe1ddd9883
And Posey isn't doing very good either. Could we have 2 third-round busts in the same year ?
And third-round picks aren't supposed to be projects, but that's what these guys are looking like.
I know you are not saying they will be busts but voicing caution and concern over players who should be more NFL prepared. I think if we view Brooks & Posey as players we hoped to provide an immediate impact & probable starter material by mid to late season they could be classified as busts at some point after say game 3. However if you feel that third round picks for this roster are player who should and strength to bottom of roster, then this is just a blip. I wonder why Brooks' coach did not place him on a strict diet? A coach should want his players to excel in NFL not be just a draft selection.
Old 06-14-2012   #323
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks could have a health issue which may need medication. They should run all possibility's. I don't envision why the recent weight gain in this hot workout enviroment during OTA's unless he has untreated/diagnosed condition?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #324
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Brooks could have a health issue which may need medication. They should run all possibility's. I don't envision why the recent weight gain in this hot workout enviroment during OTA's unless he has untreated/diagnosed condition?
Kubiak recently followed up that his next weigh in was more acceptable. With such apparent significant changes in such a short perior of time, it almost makes me think that salt intake may be part of his problem. You cannot lose or gain more than 1.5 pounds per day. Any change greater than that is usually due to salt intake with its accompanying water gain or loss. I've seen some of my patients gain or lose 10 to 15 pounds in one day after just a Chinese dinner or a large bag of potato chips or large Ceasar's salad or a couple of Bloody Marys.........all laden with a huge amount of salt. Salt weight gain is most likely a result of water retention. Water is heavy: a gallon weighs 8.34 pounds. In the body, sodium is found in the blood stream, and can be concentrated in the tissues outside of the blood vessels. If sodium becomes too concentrated, water rushes in to lower the concentration. If this occurs in the blood stream, blood pressure goes up. If this occurs in the soft tissues, the result is puffiness, often seen in the fingers and ankles as gravity pushes water to the ground. To eliminate excess sodium and water, sodium intake must be reduced and large amounts of plain water need to be taken in to flush out the system. Large non fat weight swings or inability to lose weight are a consequence of ongoing ignoring of salt. Not good for those who love their buffalo wings and French fries.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #325
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You cannot lose or gain more than 1.5 pounds per day.
That's not entirely true. If I were to weigh myself right now and then eat a couple of pounds of food and re-weigh myself, I'd be 2 pounds heavier.

To your point, it's not "real" weight gain because it's not actual fat or muscle gain but it is "weight". Any single measurement of weight can be pretty misleading as to someone's "actual" weight.

For years, I was almost OCD about weighing myself. I would weigh myself 6-10 times a day. My weight (which was approximately 200 pounds at the time) regularly varied up to 7 pounds during the course of a day. I expected to be at my lightest before breakfast but I was usually at my lightest in the late afternoon/early evening before dinner. Now I just weigh myself once per day right before lunch and having spikes in my weight is not unusual.

Like you said, he probably just got weighed at what was a bad time for him that particular day. He might have had a lot of salt intake, a lot of fluid intake, or he might have needed to use the restroom or something.

I don't think it's really an issue.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #326
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
A health issue ? I think maybe they call it the "KFC-Affinity-Syndrome".
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #327
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Water is heavy: a gallon weighs 8.34 pounds. In the body, sodium is found in the blood stream, and can be concentrated in the tissues outside of the blood vessels. If sodium becomes too concentrated, water rushes in to lower the concentration. If this occurs in the blood stream, blood pressure goes up. If this occurs in the soft tissues, the result is puffiness, often seen in the fingers and ankles as gravity pushes water to the ground. To eliminate excess sodium and water, sodium intake must be reduced and large amounts of plain water need to be taken in to flush out the system. Large non fat weight swings or inability to lose weight are a consequence of ongoing ignoring of salt. Not good for those who love their buffalo wings and French fries.
I imagine the weight swing is a much broader range if you weight nearly 350 lbs. It could easily be 5 lbs per day in either direction, especially with all the water being consumed because of the heat.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2012   #328
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...I've seen some of my patients gain or lose 10 to 15 pounds in one day after just a Chinese dinner or a large bag of potato chips or large Ceasar's salad or a couple of Bloody Marys.........all laden with a huge amount of salt.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #329
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You still don't see anything different with how kubiak is talking to the media?

I don't ever remember a time where he's said this many negative things/called players out like this.
I agree with you. It's different than the past couple years.

When was the last time Kubiak flat out said "We would have got beaten today."? He's going to serve up an ass chewing of epic proportions if they don't mesh and get it going in the direction he wants. I think Kubiak the Volcano is beginning to show signs of an eruption, IMO.

He's working with fresh faces and knows they have to be ready...due to departures of Winston, Brisiel, Dreessen, Jacoby Jones. He's not scared, he's just wanting them to understand they have no time for coming along slowly. All hands on deck. Man your battle stations.
Old 06-14-2012   #330
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I know & that's why I posted what I did. I think most fans are not confident of Oline other than Brown and Myers.
This is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am hopefull we can go with a decent rotation to allow fresher 4th quarters from Oline.
What the hell does fan confidence have to do with anything? NFL teams rarely rotate OLmen. They certainly aren't going to change their standard practices for fan confidence.
Old 06-14-2012   #331
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like we signed 2 of the 4 that tried out. No Sims-Walker signing as of now

Quote:
Houston Texans‏@HoustonTexans

The Texans signed FB Moran Norris and DE Keith Browner, who both participated in Houston’s three-day mini-camp on a tryout basis.
Old 06-14-2012   #332
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Shayne Graham was crushing the ball in Texans practice making all of his 50+yarders with plenty of room to spare. Randy Bullock struggled.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #333
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Shayne Graham was crushing the ball in Texans practice making all of his 50+yarders with plenty of room to spare. Randy Bullock struggled.
Yep. If the kicks were in Reliant, there were no net in the Bull Pen, the ball would land approximately Row H. He will killing it.

All of this was at the end of practice in front of team.Kubiak said competition will continue but whoa, it wasn't even close today.

Brandon Brooks had some heat issues and had to leave during a series. Kubiak said he was fine.

It was hot today. Not as hot as yesterday when there wasn't any breeze at all. Practice was better. (Less presnap issues).
Old 06-14-2012   #334
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans wrap up mini-camp with whirlwind Thursday

Posted 1 hour ago

By Nick Scurfield

Quote:
How busy was it at Reliant Stadium and the Methodist Training Center on Thursday? Let us count the ways:

1. The Texans signed first-round draft pick Whitney Mercilus in the morning.

2. The Texans had their final practice of mini-camp at the Methodist Training Center.

3. The Texans announced contract extensions for head coach Gary Kubiak and general manager/executive vice president Rick Smith, through 2014 for Kubiak and 2016 for Smith.

4. The Texans signed fullback Moran Norris and defensive end Kenneth Browner, two of four players to try out during mini-camp.

It was such a whirlwind day that the final practice of mini-camp, which was also the Texans’ final practice until training camp in late July, was almost an afterthought.

Thursday's practice marked the end of three days of practice for young players and reserves, and 10 practices during organized team activities (OTAs) in the three previous weeks.

“I think it’s been good,” Kubiak said. “I was frustrated yesterday, y’all know. I had the young guys out here for the last three days, but I think we’ve made a lot of progress. The core of our football team and the veteran guys, I feel very good about.

"I think a big key to our season this year is do we find four or five more guys out of that group that just left the field that become big-time contributors to our team. That’s going to be the key, so we have really got to demand that some of these young guys grow up very, very fast. So we’re going to stay on them. We’re going go to coach the heck out of them.

"I’ve always promised y’all this team will work hard and play hard, and (we have) big challenges ahead, but we’re looking forward to having a good team.”

Smith, who along with Kubiak is entering his seventh season with the Texans, said he was pleased with what he saw in OTAs and mini-camp.

“First of all, you see right away that our guys are far along in the systems and schemes,” Smith said. “The other thing that just jumps out, and this has been pretty consistent over the last few years, is the effort. Guys are working hard. It’s hot out here, and that’s a part of what makes our football team because we are well-conditioned. I have seen the group of men that are working and coming together. I see a lot of belief in what they’re doing and in each other and that’s important, so I’m excited about the season.”

Up next, players will be on vacation for six weeks until the start of training camp. Injured players like Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Darryl Sharpton and Brett Hartmann will continue to rehab at Reliant Stadium, but the team facility will otherwise be a veritable ghost town.

Kubiak was asked what concerns he has about the players being on their own.

“It’s a self-motivation deal,” he said. “That’s all you can do is preach to them. I think last year is a great example. I think our guys really handled their business very well, and guys don’t know what you’ve been doing until you show up on the 27th (of July). I think we’ve got the right guys and they’ll continue to work, and we’ve got some players that have got ground to make up like Schaub and Johnson and people like that, so it’s a very, very important time for them.”
Old 06-14-2012   #335
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Coach speak:

Quote:
(on the play of kickers Randy Bullock and Shayne Graham throughout OTAs and mini-camp) “They’re both very capable of being our kicker, so it’ll be interesting to see who wins the job, but it’ll be very competitive.”
Old 06-14-2012   #336
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Outside linebacker/defensive end Keith Browner was also signed today.

Sorry, this was already reported above.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 06-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2012   #337
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yep. If the kicks were in Reliant, in the Bull Pen, the ball would land approximately Row H. He will killing it.

All of this was at the end of practice in front of team.Kubiak said competition will continue but whoa, it wasn't even close today.

Brandon Brooks had some heat issues and had to leave during a series. Kubiak said he was fine.

It was hot today. Not as hot as yesterday when there wasn't any breeze at all. Practice was better. (Less presnap issues).
Grammar much?? Or is this after the red wine was flowing?? I kid!! Love ya Steph!!
Old 06-14-2012   #338
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“I think it’s been good,” Kubiak said. “I was frustrated yesterday, y’all know. I had the young guys out here for the last three days, but I think we’ve made a lot of progress. The core of our football team and the veteran guys, I feel very good about.

"I think a big key to our season this year is do we find four or five more guys out of that group that just left the field that become big-time contributors to our team. That’s going to be the key, so we have really got to demand that some of these young guys grow up very, very fast. So we’re going to stay on them. We’re going go to coach the heck out of them.

"I’ve always promised y’all this team will work hard and play hard, and (we have) big challenges ahead, but we’re looking forward to having a good team.”

Seems along the lines of what I said earlier today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I agree with you. It's different than the past couple years.

When was the last time Kubiak flat out said "We would have got beaten today."? He's going to serve up an ass chewing of epic proportions if they don't mesh and get it going in the direction he wants. I think Kubiak the Volcano is beginning to show signs of an eruption, IMO.

He's working with fresh faces and knows they have to be ready...due to departures of Winston, Brisiel, Dreessen, Jacoby Jones. He's not scared, he's just wanting them to understand they have no time for coming along slowly. All hands on deck. Man your battle stations.
Kubiak is making sure those four or five rookies ("the young guys") realize that they have no room for dogging it. Not in the film room, the weight room, the practice field, the lifestyle choices (such as food choices), and everything else.

You can sense that this year Kubiak is trying to transform the playoff team to a Super Bowl team. It's not like years past. You can see it in Kubiak's remarks, he's going the extra mile to push this team to greatness.

BTW, interesting that the GM gets an extension through 2016 and the HC gets an extension through 2014. Is there a reason for the difference in years of both deals?
Old 06-14-2012   #339
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Grammar much?? Or is this after the red wine was flowing?? I kid!! Love ya Steph!!
Hey man, I woke up this morning at 4:30am. Takes me three hours after camp to feel normal and I'm not even running around in the heat.

Dog ate my homework too.
Old 06-14-2012   #340
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Seems along the lines of what I said earlier today...

Kubiak is making sure those four or five rookies ("the young guys") realize that they have no room for dogging it. Not in the film room, the weight room, the practice field, the lifestyle choices (such as food choices), and everything else.

You can sense that this year Kubiak is trying to transform the playoff team to a Super Bowl team. It's not like years past. You can see it in Kubiak's remarks, he's going the extra mile to push this team to greatness.

BTW, interesting that the GM gets an extension through 2016 and the HC gets an extension through 2014. Is there a reason for the difference in years of both deals?
Kubiak negotiated his own contract. Could have had a longer term but suggested he'd earn more money this way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read