Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2012   #301
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
He's getting long in the tooth, but I'm excited to see what Moran Norris can still do. He seemed to block pretty well for Frank Gore these past few years. Hopefully he sticks.
Used to be one of my favorites when he was with us.

Quote:
HoustonTexans Rapid Reports

FB Norris: 'I just know my role'
June 12, 2012 2:34 p.m. - by Brandon Williams

FB Moran Norris, in for a tryout with the team he played with from 2002-05, on embracing the position: "I've been doing it for a while. I mean, I just know my role. I know I'm not going to catch 100 balls or run the ball 50 times. But what I'm gonna try to do is make all my blocks and catch all the balls that are thrown at me."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #302
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard on the radio that Jarred Crick got overheated .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #303
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Has Brooks signed a rookie contract? If so, I wonder if that weight bogey is in there as an incentive...?
It will. He needs to stay away from the junk food he mentions. He can still eat tasty food but not the crap.
Old 06-13-2012   #304
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I heard on the radio that Jarred Crick got overheated .
It was hot as bleep out there.

I'm not much of a person who sweats but it was hella hot out there. No clouds. Haze. No breeze at all.

A lot of guys were having issues. They put Crick next to the portable fans.

Takes a while to get acclimated to heat. Kubiak is trying to prepare the players for the longer practices during training camp. Those practices start at 8 instead of 9:50 but the start temps end up being the same, and often by July, there's no breeze like we've had for some of OTAs.

They need to stay on Brooks to be in good condition. Weight has always been the number 1 concern with him so they are going to be on him like a hawk. Offensive linemen don't tap out of the game. So they have to be in great condition. Run blocking in particular with what the Texans do means a lot of running for linemen in the second level.
Old 06-13-2012   #305
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am hopefull we can go with a decent rotation to allow fresher 4th quarters from Oline.
Old 06-13-2012   #306
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am hopefull we can go with a decent rotation to allow fresher 4th quarters from Oline.
We barely if ever rotate OLmen.
Old 06-13-2012   #307
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We barely if ever rotate OLmen.
Yep, and most teams don't rotate Olinemen.

And the Texans Olinemen are supposed to be "athletic" - Code for can move.

Even though run blocking is supposed to be easier because you are going forward instead of defending, the linemen will tell you that run blocking will get you exhausted because of how downfield you are getting.

That's what makes Duane Brown fun to watch--even in OTAs, he goes way down field.

Kubiak is trying to get Brooks into that kind of shape.
Old 06-13-2012   #308
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

on how G Brandon Brooks responded to the comments about his weight yesterday) “Well he weighed in lighter so I don’t know what he did last night. He can’t play at the weight he was at yesterday, he can’t help the team. I’m trying to teach him a lesson now before we get started.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...5-80fe1ddd9883
Brooks is getting deeper and deeper into Kubiaks dog-house. The HCs comments have a decidedly disgusted tone to them.
WR DeVier Posey) “He’s inconsistent. He missed a year of football, which you can tell. He has to respond to corrections quicker, but the talent is all there. Missing all that ball last year has had an effect on him, so we have to get him caught up.”
And Posey isn't doing very good either. Could we have 2 third-round busts in the same year ?
And third-round picks aren't supposed to be projects, but that's what these guys are looking like.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #309
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Could we have 2 third-round busts in the same year ?
LOL, let's not "bust" them before training camp.

Brooks will be fine. Not unexpected that Posey is rusty. Coach just lighting their tail-feathers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #310
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
on how G Brandon Brooks responded to the comments about his weight yesterday) ďWell he weighed in lighter so I donít know what he did last night. He canít play at the weight he was at yesterday, he canít help the team. Iím trying to teach him a lesson now before we get started.Ē
Brooks is getting deeper and deeper into Kubiaks dog-house. The HCs comments have a decidedly disgusted tone to them.
WR DeVier Posey) ďHeís inconsistent. He missed a year of football, which you can tell. He has to respond to corrections quicker, but the talent is all there. Missing all that ball last year has had an effect on him, so we have to get him caught up.Ē
And Posey isn't doing very good either. Could we have 2 third-round busts in the same year ?
And third-round picks aren't supposed to be projects, but that's what these guys are looking like.
Just mind games to get them prepared for the season . It's up to them to respond in a positive manner .

ps ... I bet neither Dad is there so that's a good sign .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #311
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
LOL, let's not "bust" them before training camp.

Brooks will be fine. Not unexpected that Posey is rusty. Coach just lighting their tail-feathers.
Yeah , lets see them on the field against real competition before we lable them busted.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #312
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Yep, he's scaring them now to get ready for camp.

Can't have Brooks coming into camp fat, or Posey think he's owed anything.

Just coaching them up.
Old 06-13-2012   #313
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's better to kick them in the ass now so that they're prepared for TC in August, if there's such a thing as being prepared for August in Houston, than to be shipping them off to the hospital everyday for heatstroke. We drafted a bunch of guys from the midwest and northern states who aren't used to the heat down here. If they think it's hot now, they haven't seen anything yet, wait til August. I hope these guys continue to workout outdoors everyday on their own when minicamp ends and before TC begins.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #314
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't think of a single player who has been singled out in comments by Kubiak (in his doghouse) and not ended up losing his spot on the team. The closest is Foster, but I don't remember him being called out in public comments by Kubiak though he was reportedly in his doghouse early.

Can anyone name a player called out that ultimately became an effective starter?
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #315
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree. First and second round picks you expect to immediately come in and contribute, if not start. Third round picks can go either way, IMO. You take a chance on them because of they're talent and let them develop. Not every pick is going to be polished right off the back.

It's too early to call them busts. It's not even training camp! Let's see how Brooks looks like by that time, if he devotes himself to losing weight and getting better. Same for Posey (except for the losing weight part).

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #316
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yep, he's scaring them now to get ready for camp.

Can't have Brooks coming into camp fat, or Posey think he's owed anything.

Just coaching them up.
You still don't see anything different with how kubiak is talking to the media?

I don't ever remember a time where he's said this many negative things/called players out like this.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #317
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Brooks, come to Jesus.

Devier Posey, come to Jesus.

Who's next on, "You're a proffessional football player now so you damn well better train like it" ??????
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #318
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I disagree. First and second round picks you expect to immediately come in and contribute, if not start. Third round picks can go either way, IMO. You take a chance on them because of they're talent and let them develop. Not every pick is going to be polished right off the back.

It's too early to call them busts. It's not even training camp! Let's see how Brooks looks like by that time, if he devotes himself to losing weight and getting better. Same for Posey (except for the losing weight part).
OK, my choice of "bust" is premature and inappropriate here, but I don't think project is, especially for the Ohio State WR. So far Kubiak seems to be saying he's all about making up for his lost year ? Sounds like a project to me ?
But I'm still trying to figure out the Brooks pick ? The Texans rarely use anything higher than a 4th or 5th round pick on an interior Olineman ? Who else besides Caldwell has this regime made such a decision for a third-round pick, and he had a sterling resume to include multiple years as a starter at SEC-powerhouse and national champ 'Bama. Now they pick this guy who's a dubious fit in their ZB system with minimal experience vs major-league college competition. I don't get it ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #319
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, my choice of "bust" is premature and inappropriate here, but I don't think project is, especially for the Ohio State WR. So far Kubiak seems to be saying he's all about making up for his lost year ? Sounds like a project to me ?
But I'm still trying to figure out the Brooks pick ? The Texans rarely use anything higher than a 4th or 5th round pick on an interior Olineman ? Who else besides Caldwell has this regime made such a decision for a third-round pick, and he had a sterling resume to include multiple years as a starter at SEC-powerhouse and national champ 'Bama. Now they pick this guy who's a dubious fit in their ZB system with minimal experience vs major-league college competition. I don't get it ?
Simple explanation.......It wasn't Wade's pick.
Old 06-14-2012   #320
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Kubiak yesterday at OTAs:

Quote:
(on what makes him think FB Moran Norris can help the team) ďI donít know. Our situation right now, Iím a little bit concerned. Iíve got James (Casey), who plays two spots for me. He is filling a tight end role as well as a fullback role. Iíve got a young kid Iím trying to convert, who is a defensive football player. Itís a little hairy conversion. Can we get there by September? I wanted to get a guy with some experience. Moran (Norris) has played well. He played well in San Francisco and has done some good things. I think heís an 11-year guy; heís been around for awhile. Itís an opportunity for him if itís still in his tank to help this team. I was impressed with him. To be honest with you, I heard him on some radio show driving home from work one day and I listened to him talk and I called (Executive Vice President/General Manager) Rick (Smith) and said, ĎLetís bring him in for a tryout.í Iíve been impressed, heís looked good.Ē

(on how the team was today)
ďNot good today. We wouldíve got beat today. We went a little longer today. We just werenít very sharp on both sides of the ball and I tried to let them know what is going to be expected of them a month from now. We have to send a message and get it sent here quick. Today wasnít good enough.Ē

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read