Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2012   #281
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

They are going to stay on Brooks with the weight.
Well it's not working so far, he's definitely off to a bad start.
Whether he's a big guy or more of an average size for his position, an issue with weight control/management obviously indicates a lack of discipline which is a real bad indicator for an NFL rookie, especially one they will basically be forced to carry on the active roster.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #282
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From SI:

Posted: Tuesday June 12, 2012 4:50 PM
Rookie Brooks a big presence on Houston o-line

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP) - Listed at 346 pounds, Houston rookie guard Brandon Brooks outweighs anyone else on the team and is the heaviest player to ever suit up for the Texans.

Houston normally favors offensive linemen who are a bit smaller than the third-round pick, though they have said they don't see his size as a hindrance and insist he can do everything they want him to do.

Still, coach Gary Kubiak was unhappy with the player after he showed up to Tuesday's minicamp heavier than he was in their last workout.

"I did not like what I saw today,'' Kubiak said. "He's overweight and he's got to get down. But he's got a chance to be a good player.''

Some outsiders questioned Houston's decision to draft the Miami, Ohio, star because most of the Texans' linemen weigh closer to 300 pounds than 350.

"With his size and stuff, there's been talk about that he's not our type of guy,'' Kubiak said. "That's bull ... he may not look like some of the guys we've played with before, but he's just as athletic, so he's done a good job.''

Brooks knows he has to think about his waistline and said he's trying to eat more salads instead of "eating junk food all the time.''

"I've got to make sure I stay under control with my weight,'' he said. "I don't want it to get too high.''

He believes that if he plays the right way, pretty soon people will stop worrying about his weight.

"I just make sure that the angles I take to make my blocks are proper and I think by focusing on my technique that will eliminate how heavy I am,'' he said. "I can still get (to my blocks).''

The Texans are counting on Brooks to develop quickly with the loss of veteran offensive linemen Eric Winston and Mike Brisiel in free agency. Antoine Caldwell is penciled in as the starting right guard to replace Brisiel, who started 13 games for the Texans in 2011 before signing with the Raiders this offseason. But Brooks has already worked with the first team some and will certainly push Caldwell, who appeared in just five games last season.

"I see flashes that he's capable of being a starter in this League,'' Kubiak said of Brooks. "He's got a great opportunity. He's out there going head-to-head with (Caldwell) every day. It will be interesting to see how he does once we put the pads on.''

Though Brooks weighs a lot, he carries it better than some players of his size because of his muscular 6-foot-5 frame. He's always been interested in weight lifting and staying in shape in part because his father Robert Brooks was a bodybuilder when the younger Brooks was a child.

"Growing up every boy wants to be just like their dad and I started lifting weights from an early age and it continues to help me to this day,'' he said, adding that he began lifting weights at age seven or eight.

When he was younger, his father's fitness level seemed normal to him, but looking back the things he was doing probably shaped his approach to fitness.

"(He was) just like any other father except that he's curling close to 225,'' Brooks said with a smile. "That's what I was used to seeing.''

The transition to the NFL has been easier for Brooks because he played in a zone blocking scheme similar to the one Houston uses in college. But his head has still been swimming as he's tried to learn his new playbook.

"My playbook in college was like a magazine compared to the playbook here,'' he said. "So I've just been spending extra time and getting here an hour or two early to watch film and go over the playbook and that has really helped me out so far.''
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #283
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

The quote from Kubes on Brandon Brooks:

(on G Brandon Brooks) “I did not like what I saw today. He’s overweight and he’s got to get down, but he has a chance to be a good player. Can you send that message to him? (laughs)”

Just think they're going to stay on him as they're counting on him to contribute this year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #284
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
The quote from Kubes on Brandon Brooks:

(on G Brandon Brooks) I did not like what I saw today. Hes overweight and hes got to get down, but he has a chance to be a good player. Can you send that message to him? (laughs)

Just think they're going to stay on him as they're counting on him to contribute this year.
They are stuck with him on their active roster whether they like him or not. They can't move him to the practice squad because as a third-round pick somebody would snatch him up - probably somebody who runs an Oline with power-schemes where this big boy belongs. Texans better hope they weren't too cute by half on this pick ?
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #285
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
They are stuck with him on their active roster whether they like him or not. They can't move him to the practice squad because as a third-round pick somebody would snatch him up - probably somebody who runs an Oline with power-schemes where this big boy belongs. Texans better hope they weren't too cute by half on this pick ?
Dont worry Brooks will be starting at one of the OG spots by the end of the yr. Just because he's big doesn't mean he cant move well enough to be effective in the ZBS. Brooks ran a 4.99 40 and had great 10-20 splits and BP'ed 225 Lbs 32 times if I remember correctly.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #286
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Dont worry Brooks will be starting at one of the OG spots by the end of the yr. Just because he's big doesn't mean he cant move well enough to be effective in the ZBS. Brooks ran a 4.99 40 and had great 10-20 splits and BP'ed 225 Lbs 32 times if I remember correctly.
From what Ive heard .... and my sources are as bad as John McLaim's (all his are in Hillbilly Holler) .... the bold has a very good chance of being truth.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #287
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
From what Ive heard .... and my sources are as bad as John McLaim's (all his are in Hillbilly Holler) .... the bold has a very good chance of being truth.
I've got trained spy pigeons who told me this is part of the process for a rookie who they really like .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2012   #288
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
All you have to do is watch the tape. He moves like a man 50-60 pounds lighter.

People need to screw the measurements, and just trust what they see on the field.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #289
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
SBT........Why are you so mean?..............he benched 36...........next thing, you're going to spread the lie that I only benched 39!
Old 06-12-2012   #290
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
SBT........Why are you so mean?..............he benched 36...........next thing, you're going to spread the lie that I only benched 39!
You're the only man I know that can bench press twice your weight 39 times. LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #291
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're the only man I know that can bench press twice your weight 39 times. LOL
Lies, I say! They're all lies!
Old 06-12-2012   #292
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't seem like Brooks is too concerned, basically brushing it off and saying my play will make you forget my weight.

Could get sticky.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #293
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 245168 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Doesn't seem like Brooks is too concerned, basically brushing it off and saying my play will make you forget my weight.

Could get sticky.
Has Brooks signed a rookie contract? If so, I wonder if that weight bogey is in there as an incentive...?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #294
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans are counting on Brooks contributing this year thus they're getting on him about his weight because they have such high hopes for him. They care about him thus they're getting on him, if they didn't care then they wouldn't care about how big he got. I can see him getting playing time at both LG and RG spots and then taking Smiths place at LG in 2013 permanantly when we cut Smith at the end of the year to save some money for salary.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #295
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think the Texans are counting on Brooks contributing this year thus they're getting on him about his weight because they have such high hopes for him. They care about him thus they're getting on him, if they didn't care then they wouldn't care about how big he got. I can see him getting playing time at both LG and RG spots and then taking Smiths place at LG in 2013 permanantly when we cut Smith at the end of the year to save some money for salary.
If he ultimately demonstrates good mobility, it wouldn't surprise me to see him eventually tried at RT also.
Old 06-13-2012   #296
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not real sure how Brooks can just be overweight in less than a week, but it appears he has
The discovery of Tex-Mex.
Old 06-13-2012   #297
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak on rookie G Brandon Brooks: "I did not like what I saw today. He was overweight. I'm not real happy with him right now

Quote:
Stephanie Stradley‏@StephStradley
Kubiak: Brandon Brooks last weigh in not acceptable. Was doing good before.
From these quotes, I'm not necessarily taking that he has gained weight, but that he has not lost weight to a level (and on a schedule) that Kubiak feel comfortable with. During the draft, everyone was projecting him for a power line. And it was said many times that if he were taken by a ZBS team, he would need to drop some weight. Kubiak himself has said so much. He and Brooks disagree on his ideal playing weight............not a smart challenge on the part of Brooks.
Old 06-13-2012   #298
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87623 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
From these quotes, I'm not necessarily taking that he has gained weight, but that he has not lost weight to a level (and on a schedule) that Kubiak feel comfortable with. During the draft, everyone was projecting him for a power line. And it was said many times that if he were taken by a ZBS team, he would need to drop some weight. Kubiak himself has said so much. He and Brooks disagree on his ideal playing weight............not a smart challenge on the part of Brooks.
Darn right it wasn't. Now every reporter under the sun will be hounding him forever about his weight. Ah well, there's really only one way to learn something, and that's the hard way.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #299
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's getting long in the tooth, but I'm excited to see what Moran Norris can still do. He seemed to block pretty well for Frank Gore these past few years. Hopefully he sticks.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #300
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131856 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
The discovery of Tex-Mex.
Elvis Presley Memorial Combo at Chuy's.....godlike.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read