Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Wolf6151

All Pro
I know it's a bit early but what do you think our team needs will be in the 2013 draft? Take into account players reaching FA, expensive players about to reach FA, salary cap casualties, needs not addressed in 2012 draft, under performing players, etc... I can forcast the needs being:

DE, I think Antonio Smith is a salary cap casualty and depending on value may be replaced early unless Crick just becomes a beast.
DT/NT, I think Sean Cody is a salary cap casualty and a new rotation at NT will be Mitchell and 2013 draft pick unless Fangupo becomes a beast from UDFA.
CB, you can never have to many good CB's and next season we'll see what we have in Jackson, Carmichael, and Harris. If someone lets us down this could be an early pick.
RB, Tate will be a FA after 2013 season so we may look for a replacement a year early depending on value on the board and trade Tate after next season, like the Pats do, unless he agrees to a very team friendly extension which isn't likely.
OT, Butler will be a FA after next season and thus will become quite expensive unless we're sure he's the future of the RT position and we extend him in mid season for a team friendly price.
WR, regardless of the 2012 draft we probably still have a big hole at #2 WR.
QB, we had a thread devoted to the possible trade up in 2013 draft for a future franchise QB unless we see alot of improvement in Yates next season.
TE, OD is getting more expensive and he's just not as good as he was 2-3 yrs. ago.

Opinions?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I know it's a bit early but what do you think our team needs will be in the 2013 draft? Take into account players reaching FA, expensive players about to reach FA, salary cap casualties, needs not addressed in 2012 draft, under performing players, etc... I can forcast the needs being:

DE, I think Antonio Smith is a salary cap casualty and depending on value may be replaced early unless Crick just becomes a beast.
DT/NT, I think Sean Cody is a salary cap casualty and a new rotation at NT will be Mitchell and 2013 draft pick unless Fangupo becomes a beast from UDFA.
CB, you can never have to many good CB's and next season we'll see what we have in Jackson, Carmichael, and Harris. If someone lets us down this could be an early pick.
RB, Tate will be a FA after 2013 season so we may look for a replacement a year early depending on value on the board and trade Tate after next season, like the Pats do, unless he agrees to a very team friendly extension which isn't likely.
OT, Butler will be a FA after next season and thus will become quite expensive unless we're sure he's the future of the RT position and we extend him in mid season for a team friendly price.
WR, regardless of the 2012 draft we probably still have a big hole at #2 WR.
QB, we had a thread devoted to the possible trade up in 2013 draft for a future franchise QB unless we see alot of improvement in Yates next season.
TE, OD is getting more expensive and he's just not as good as he was 2-3 yrs. ago.

Opinions?
Kareem Jackson, CB position pays out big time. with other contracts needing addressed doubt they will extend his contract & just let it run it's course.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm working on 2013 mock now. I think QB is the primary position of concern but I also feel optimistic that Yates will prove sufficient especially if Matt can make it through this next season. Qb does not have to be stellar just accurate with decent release & able to play the pocket. Yates should be able to do that 2012 & even better '13. QB not on my board now.
Posey or not we still need another WR to eventually be WR1.

I anticipate Barwin in his last contract year in a position set to get him sacks will also make himself a tighty bit of change on his next team as a FA. Not able to play 4-3 DE like Mario he is younger and shoud be gone. OLB again will be a high pick.

A CB and RB & perhaps an ILB should give us top 5 picks. I wished I had better idea what comp picks will be. Thought I read on some thread a 2nd, 3rd & 5th. If anyone has good info please shoot me a PM. I was google searching earlier today & caught a virus on my other computer so be careful.

Wolf6151

All Pro
Maybe Matt will be traded and keep Barwin.
Matt will be a FA after this next season, he's not tradeable. Schaub is the major lynch pin here, does he stay or go? If 2012 is his last season as a Texan then I hope the Texans at least give Yates a real chance at the starting position, at least give him the 2013 season. Then if he sucks we'll probably have a high draft pick and be ripe for taking a 1st round QB in 2014.

BB, what sources are you using for a 2013 mock?

I'm working on 2013 mock now. I think QB is the primary position of concern but I also feel optimistic that Yates will prove sufficient especially if Matt can make it through this next season. Qb does not have to be stellar just accurate with decent release & able to play the pocket. Yates should be able to do that 2012 & even better '13. QB not on my board now.
Posey or not we still need another WR to eventually be WR1.

I anticipate Barwin in his last contract year in a position set to get him sacks will also make himself a tighty bit of change on his next team as a FA. Not able to play 4-3 DE like Mario he is younger and shoud be gone. OLB again will be a high pick.

A CB and RB & perhaps an ILB should give us top 5 picks. I wished I had better idea what comp picks will be. Thought I read on some thread a 2nd, 3rd & 5th. If anyone has good info please shoot me a PM. I was google searching earlier today & caught a virus on my other computer so be careful.
highest you can get from a comp pick is round 3

gary

Hall of Fame
Matt will be a FA after this next season, he's not tradeable. Schaub is the major lynch pin here, does he stay or go? If 2012 is his last season as a Texan then I hope the Texans at least give Yates a real chance at the starting position, at least give him the 2013 season. Then if he sucks we'll probably have a high draft pick and be ripe for taking a 1st round QB in 2014.

A QB is the most important player on the team so unless Keenum or Yates just plays great Matt will stay.

badboy

Hall of Fame

These are my secret links so don't share them ok?:gathering:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2012/OT

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php

I originally had thought comp picks began at end of round three but a post on another thread had indicated we will get a 2nd for Mario. RMartin65 corrected me during an exchange of PMs. For me best scenario is Schaub takes us to SB and then Yates steps in 2013 as starter.

Wolf6151

All Pro
These are my secret links so don't share them ok?:gathering:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2012/OT

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php

I originally had thought comp picks began at end of round three but a post on another thread had indicated we will get a 2nd for Mario. RMartin65 corrected me during an exchange of PMs. For me best scenario is Schaub takes us to SB and then Yates steps in 2013 as starter.

Shhhhhhh, those are my 2 biggest sources as well but I'll try to keep it a secret. RM65 is right comp. picks don't start until the end of the 3rd round. I'm confused about your last sentence though, if Schaub takes us to the SB next season then he would be the starter in 2013 as well. Are you saying Schaub would be too expensive for us after taking us to the SB? I don't think any team has ever lost their starting QB a year after going to the SB.

What do you see as our other team needs in the 2013 draft? When is your 2013 mock going to be posted? My interest is stirred.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Shhhhhhh, those are my 2 biggest sources as well but I'll try to keep it a secret. RM65 is right comp. picks don't start until the end of the 3rd round. I'm confused about your last sentence though, if Schaub takes us to the SB next season then he would be the starter in 2013 as well. Are you saying Schaub would be too expensive for us after taking us to the SB? I don't think any team has ever lost their starting QB a year after going to the SB.

What do you see as our other team needs in the 2013 draft? When is your 2013 mock going to be posted? My interest is stirred.
The Ravens let Dilfer walk and signed Grbac in FA,

badboy

Hall of Fame

Ridiculous we can only get a 3rd for Mario. My mock is ready to post but I am adding comp picks as 3rd for Mario, 5th for Briesel and only doing thru 5th. I need to add the comp pick for Briesel and then I'll post.

Schaub is good but we all know the negatives, regardless if he does well and is healthy (as possible) SB or not he will command a huge salary. We need to re-sign Brown and that will take up all our surplus. No Barwin either. Matt will be a Mario type FA due to position.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
The Ravens let Dilfer walk and signed Grbac in FA,
Dilfer wasn't their chosen starter for the season. Tony Banks was.

I think all of this talk in this and the mock draft thread is silly. Unless Schaub gets injured again or clearly is not his old self they are going to attempt to re-sign him and Schaub has shown every bit of character like AJ that he would rather stay here than make $50 mil instead of $48.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Dilfer wasn't their chosen starter for the season. Tony Banks was.

I think all of this talk in this and the mock draft thread is silly. Unless Schaub gets injured again or clearly is not his old self they are going to attempt to re-sign him and Schaub has shown every bit of character like AJ that he would rather stay here than make $50 mil instead of $48.
Yeah, Banks stunk and he should've taken the beating Carr took in 2002. Dilfer did get them a SB trophy and in appreaition the Ravens cut him. They're still looking a QB that can take them to a championship. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Waiting until the end of this yr to make a decision on Schaub is the smart thing to do. I believe he's a 2nd tier (Top 15) QB. But if he cant get/stay healthy this yr then the Texans should look for his replacement. They are in a tough spot on this one, with the team being ready to win now and Schaub not being able to stay healthy. Do you trade the farm and draft one of the top college QB's? Or do you look for a Matt Flynn type vet? (Who's available)

I'm pretty sure Gary will be making that call and I've got faith in his ability to find the right QB for this team.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Schaub in this system with a healthy Andre Johnson & Arian Foster is pushing top 5. Maybe not as much individually, but in the team concept he fits almost perfectly. So they resign him to a lucrative, yet sensible extension & Texans continue to roll :ant:

Wolf6151

All Pro
We haven't addressed 2013 draft needs in a few months. Now that training camp is all but over and the regular season is just around the corner we should have a better assessment of 2013 draft needs. They certainly have changed from what I thought they'd be when starting this thread back in May, at least the order of need has changed. Here's how I currently see the needs, but with some players on the bubble for 2013 this list is by no means set in stone.

1. WR- I know many feel that Jean and Martin have had a great TC, and they have, I just don't see either of them as a current #2 with potential to be a #1. Also I think Kevin Walter stands a fair chance of being a salary cap casualty in 2013 so we'll need quality and depth at WR. I think WR is a 1st round need.
2. DT/NT- I think Sean Cody will be gone at the end of this season if he even plays and we'll need a new guy to work in rotation with Mitchell who hasn't looked very good in preseason so far. This is a 2nd or 3rd round need.
3. Safety- this need all depends on if we re-sign Glover Quin or not. BB thinks he could be gone in 2013 and I'm thinking he might be on the bubble. He's not a big time play maker so re-signing him shouldn't be terribly expensive but I think his future with the team might depend on how much money we need to re-sign other players. Quin could be a salary cap cut to re-sign Schaub and/or Barwin. This is 50/50 and could go either way. If Quin stays there's no need, if he goes then it's a 2nd or 3rd round need.
4. OT- Butler is gone and we'll need a new swing OT to take Newtons place. 3rd round need.
5. OG- Brooks steps up and takes someones job in 2013, probably Caldwell's due to the money still owed to W. Smith so interior O-line depth will be a need and may be addressed twice in 2013. 3rd - 5th round need.
6. CB- this need will depend on if we re-sign McCain or not. He's not great but he's not bad either and even mediocre CB's can be expensive. With JJ, KJ, and Harris probably taking the nickle spot in 2013 McCain might be gone. I can see CB maybe being a 3rd - 5th round need.
7. ILB- James is probably a one year rental but I think since this isn't a full time spot and we have depth with Dobbins, Alexander, and Louiseau the Texans probably won't address this until the later rounds unless someone great just unexpectedly falls in their lap.
8. FB- this is a 6th or 7th round priority but I sure would like to nail down this position with a real FB that's here to stay.

I once thought that DE and TE could be needs in 2013 due to Antonio Smith and OD being possible salary cap cuts but having read on another site about the money still owed them it makes them less likely to be cut. How do yall see our needs now that TC is almost over?

We haven't addressed 2013 draft needs in a few months. Now that training camp is all but over and the regular season is just around the corner we should have a better assessment of 2013 draft needs. They certainly have changed from what I thought they'd be when starting this thread back in May, at least the order of need has changed. Here's how I currently see the needs, but with some players on the bubble for 2013 this list is by no means set in stone.

1. WR- I know many feel that Jean and Martin have had a great TC, and they have, I just don't see either of them as a current #2 with potential to be a #1. Also I think Kevin Walter stands a fair chance of being a salary cap casualty in 2013 so we'll need quality and depth at WR. I think WR is a 1st round need.
2. DT/NT- I think Sean Cody will be gone at the end of this season if he even plays and we'll need a new guy to work in rotation with Mitchell who hasn't looked very good in preseason so far. This is a 2nd or 3rd round need.
3. Safety- this need all depends on if we re-sign Glover Quin or not. BB thinks he could be gone in 2013 and I'm thinking he might be on the bubble. He's not a big time play maker so re-signing him shouldn't be terribly expensive but I think his future with the team might depend on how much money we need to re-sign other players. Quin could be a salary cap cut to re-sign Schaub and/or Barwin. This is 50/50 and could go either way. If Quin stays there's no need, if he goes then it's a 2nd or 3rd round need.
4. OT- Butler is gone and we'll need a new swing OT to take Newtons place. 3rd round need.
5. OG- Brooks steps up and takes someones job in 2013, probably Caldwell's due to the money still owed to W. Smith so interior O-line depth will be a need and may be addressed twice in 2013. 3rd - 5th round need.
6. CB- this need will depend on if we re-sign McCain or not. He's not great but he's not bad either and even mediocre CB's can be expensive. With JJ, KJ, and Harris probably taking the nickle spot in 2013 McCain might be gone. I can see CB maybe being a 3rd - 5th round need.
7. ILB- James is probably a one year rental but I think since this isn't a full time spot and we have depth with Dobbins, Alexander, and Louiseau the Texans probably won't address this until the later rounds unless someone great just unexpectedly falls in their lap.
8. FB- this is a 6th or 7th round priority but I sure would like to nail down this position with a real FB that's here to stay.

I once thought that DE and TE could be needs in 2013 due to Antonio Smith and OD being possible salary cap cuts but having read on another site about the money still owed them it makes them less likely to be cut. How do yall see our needs now that TC is almost over?
Havnt posted in the college forum for a while ... good to be back.

bolded is my biggest areas of concern for the reasons you mentioned.

also im not sure about the money owed on OD but i do feel TE is a must get early. Graham and OD are similar types of TEs we need a real difference maker at the position. the NFL is moving to these large TEs that exploit undersized safeties and not as athletic 'backers.
Going forward with graham as the standard TE, casey who offers versatility and then a large blocking and REDZONE target for a TE would be great for this team.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but OD is around 30 and has some injury issues won't be too long before his stats start to decline.

havnt had a chance to look much at the TE from Notre Dame just a little on youtube what do you guys think of him? ill be keeping an eye on him during the season

Rey

1) NT - Cody is a fine player, but he's no game changer. He does his job so I'm not knocking him. Really taking a player that could play the NT position doesn't mean he's taking Cody's job. We just need more talent at the position and this pick is more because Earl Mitchell hasn't looked all that good and Cody has been struggling with injury issues.

2) DB - If McCain has another good year he may want to go somewhere for a chance to start and more money. You can always use quality players in the secondary.

3) OL - We need more quality players there. Need someone to push Newton and Butler may not be here long.

4) ILB - Bradie James has been kind of not a big deal. The depth behind them isn't all that, and I'm not expecting Sharpton to do anything of significance and wouldn't be surprised if he never plays for us again. Give me a big talented MLB to blow up the playside and let Seek and destroy ball carriers.

5) TE - We just need more talented bodies there. I'd like to have another Casey type player that could play some FB and some TE.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Although my thoughts bounce around a lot between this time of year and the next draft, I still like my most recent mock for 2013. As most I agree that Matt Schaub will be the focal point of what Texans do. I want to go BPA but still address our weaknesses. Here is a link from August 29th on Benton teaching the Oline and being successfull with low in the draft selections. http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/rt-newton-most-recent-testament-to-the-tutelage-of-benton/

He has good record but then I think of Shelley Smith. It is quite possible that OG/RT may not be a high pick as some have indicated.

McCain could leave for a chance at starting plus he should be feeling heat from Brandon Harris. I'd be lying if I said RCB with KJ, Ball and Carmichael does not concern me. This is position I'll be watching this season as I keep up with college corners.

ILB is an issue but just don't see any ILB that screams "pick me" early rounds that would stand out above my selections. I also am leaning towards Bradie James being re-signed for 2013 IF he is what Wade expects.

FB. I too would like to have a draft pick for about 8 years and why I push for one on last day of 2012 draft.

Insideop

All Pro
OK, we are 5 weeks in to the season and the Texans stand at 5-0. They just lost Cush for the season, picked up Barrett Ruud, and cut Trindon. They will have Martin doing the KR/PR duties and Lestar Jean is coming off a knee scope. So, has everybody's draft needs changed for the Texans or are they still the same? I know I have been wanting them to get an ILB and a NT for awhile now (Since the last draft.) because I thought these 2 areas were thin. Now my concerns are even more so. What say you?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OK, we are 5 weeks in to the season and the Texans stand at 5-0. They just lost Cush for the season, picked up Barrett Ruud, and cut Trindon. They will have Martin doing the KR/PR duties and Lestar Jean is coming off a knee scope. So, has everybody's draft needs changed for the Texans or are they still the same? I know I have been wanting them to get an ILB and a NT for awhile now (Since the last draft.) because I thought these 2 areas were thin. Now my concerns are even more so. What say you?
I'd like to wait till the end of the season, to see where we are, if anything transpired by the trade deadline & how the latest class of FA performed.

With that said, Bradie James needs to be upgraded, WR is still held down by two players over 30, & we're seriously underperforming from an outside pass rushing stand point.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Depending on where the Texans end up drafting.

Rd.1 Jesse Williams NT ALA
Rd.2 Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tenn
Rd.3 Brennan Williams OT North Carolina
Rd.3 D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina
Rd.4 Jake Knott ILB ISU

This draft would make me jump for joy.

Wolf6151

All Pro

My list of 2013 draft needs was made up almost 5 months ago. Most of those listed needs are still the same but a few have changed. Here's how I see it now:

DT/NT, Cody will be gone next season and Mitchell is nothing special. First round need.
OT/OG, BB has faith in Newton and Kubiak and has been trying to convince me as well. Sorry BB I still don't see it. This is a 2nd round need. Even if Newton does work out we'd still get a guy that would add starter quality depth to the O-line or may take W. Smith's spot in 2013 or 2014.
CB, I think McCain will be gone after this season due to FA and we sure could use some high quality upgrades/depth in the secondary.
WR, I like Martin but Jean has shown nothing special and Posey was just a mistake. Walter might be a salary cut and we need someone to be an explosive #2 with #1 potential. This is an opportunity pick based on BPA.
ILB, Cushing will be back next season but the other ILB spot is a 2 down rotational one. James ain't getting it done but I like Dobbins. We still could use some better quality and younger depth here. Mid round 4-5 need, a better DT/NT lessens the need at ILB.
Safety, is a depth only need but Keo should be gone. We could get better in nickle and dime packages and special teams.
P, Donnie Jones is on the wrong side of 30 and could be upgraded. A good young P to hold the position for the next 10-12 yrs. and cheaper as well.
RB, if Rick Smith is smart he trades Tate in the offseason so we may look at RB as an opportunity pick as well, after the 3rd round.

SBT, I like Patterson as well but I have my doubts that he'll go pro in 2013. I think he stays at Tennessee and is a high 1st rounder in 2014. Good beginnings of a mock though.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
1st WR Need to add vetical weapon oppossite AJ to eventually replace AJ
2nd ILB For obvious reasons
3rd NT/DT Better value for position to groom
4th OT/OG More depth, couple free agents to be
5th DB Another CB if McCain leaves or safety help & special teams/returner
6th TE Need a better blocking TE to shade the tackle
7th RB late round steal, Texans may move Tate

:wesmantexanfan:

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.

This looks good. I would add a pass rush specialist and a QB to groom to give us 9 picks, which seems to be the consensus for how many comp picks we will get.

I will say that RB is a need, since I think there is a very good chance that we move Tate at the draft. Practically no chance we re-sign him after next year, might as well get value if we like the RB group in this next draft, or if Meggett looks good on the PS (which I think is possible).

badboy

Hall of Fame
My list of 2013 draft needs was made up almost 5 months ago. Most of those listed needs are still the same but a few have changed. Here's how I see it now:

DT/NT, Cody will be gone next season and Mitchell is nothing special. First round need.
OT/OG, BB has faith in Newton and Kubiak and has been trying to convince me as well. Sorry BB I still don't see it. This is a 2nd round need. Even if Newton does work out we'd still get a guy that would add starter quality depth to the O-line or may take W. Smith's spot in 2013 or 2014.
CB, I think McCain will be gone after this season due to FA and we sure could use some high quality upgrades/depth in the secondary.
WR, I like Martin but Jean has shown nothing special and Posey was just a mistake. Walter might be a salary cut and we need someone to be an explosive #2 with #1 potential. This is an opportunity pick based on BPA.
ILB, Cushing will be back next season but the other ILB spot is a 2 down rotational one. James ain't getting it done but I like Dobbins. We still could use some better quality and younger depth here. Mid round 4-5 need, a better DT/NT lessens the need at ILB.
Safety, is a depth only need but Keo should be gone. We could get better in nickle and dime packages and special teams.
P, Donnie Jones is on the wrong side of 30 and could be upgraded. A good young P to hold the position for the next 10-12 yrs. and cheaper as well.
RB, if Rick Smith is smart he trades Tate in the offseason so we may look at RB as an opportunity pick as well, after the 3rd round.

SBT, I like Patterson as well but I have my doubts that he'll go pro in 2013. I think he stays at Tennessee and is a high 1st rounder in 2014. Good beginnings of a mock though.
To clarify our PMs, Newton is a 6th so not sure Gary goes high with OT +reputation of our Oline coach turning average guys into quality starters. I posted somewhere in last few days that right side is doing very well in blocking for run & entire line is very good at protecting Schaub. If Newton simply holds his own and Harris continues to improve, we are set. OG is much more of a concern for me but Jone has been ok and we'll see Caldwell back against GB.

I like Patterson but think he might remain in school.
I agree on McCain and discovered yesterday that a neighbor of mine graduated high school with him. Martin just got a big break with TH being cut. Posey still has no clue what he is doing but I think Kubes gives him another season. I still have WR but later round.

I awakened during the night thinking Quin will re-sign so I'll probably take Micah Hyde off my current mock. I am hoping Tate for a late first/early second to be used for LSU's Minter ILB. I may go with two ILBs on next mock as we have basically nothing after Dobbins and he needs to be what some of you guys say he is. I can see James & Alexander gone.

I see no reason to replace Jones, Donnie. Punters can be good well into 30s & a vet that does not rattle is worth the extra cost.

Keo is already gone as the Eagles sang.

Insideop

All Pro

Good post!

NT I agree with some of what you're saying. We do need a NT early on in the draft and I would be good with sbt's pick of Williams in the 1st.

ILB I would like to pick up an ILB sooner than what you have because I'm not sure when Sharpton and Cush will be back and how they will perform. Maybe in the 2nd to 3rd round and I have been hearing/reading about a kid from Western Kentucky named, of all things, Andrew Jackson. Also, James, Ruud, and Dobbins are all getting "long in the tooth" so I think we are pretty thin in this area.

OT/OG May not be as high on my list. I think Newton just needs a little more time to develop and, although Harris is still somewhat of a ?, he has been doing OK and could be our "swing tackle" for now. As for OG, I think we will draft another one. I'm just not sure how late in the draft. I guess it all depends on the development of Brooks and Jones, and how long Caldwell and Wade Smith hold up.

CB/S I think we will resign McCain and GQ and hold what we have, although I know Rick Smith likes to get a DB or 2 somewhere in the draft. And with us hopefully having extra picks I think we will probably get at least 1 DB in the draft. Just not sure where, but probably late for depth.

WR/TE I think it's too early to give up on Jean, Martin, and Posey. I'm hoping, now that Jean will be playing again and K-Mart will be doing KR/PR, that Kubes will start using all 3 a little more in the passing game. They do need to step up. One area I was hoping to draft high in (1st or 2nd) was at TE. I want a "Gronk" clone. And right now we only have 2 listed TE's on our roster (OD and Graham) and OD will be 30 soon.

P They will probably keep D. Jones, but we had the "good young P" you were talking about last year. His name was Hartmann. Wish they could've kept him somehow because he had a strong leg, and if I'm not mistaken, they used him for kickoffs.

RB I could see them letting Tate go and getting a back late in the draft or UDFA.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A playmaking WR that can beat 1 on 1 coverage is a must. IMHO

AJ isn't getting any younger.

My 2 top prospects to fill this need are Aaron Dobson and Cordarrelle Patterson. What do y'all think of these guys and what do they go in?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Good post!

NT I agree with some of what you're saying. We do need a NT early on in the draft and I would be good with sbt's pick of Williams in the 1st.

ILB I would like to pick up an ILB sooner than what you have because I'm not sure when Sharpton and Cush will be back and how they will perform. Maybe in the 2nd to 3rd round and I have been hearing/reading about a kid from Western Kentucky named, of all things, Andrew Jackson. Also, James, Ruud, and Dobbins are all getting "long in the tooth" so I think we are pretty thin in this area.

OT/OG May not be as high on my list. I think Newton just needs a little more time to develop and, although Harris is still somewhat of a ?, he has been doing OK and could be our "swing tackle" for now. As for OG, I think we will draft another one. I'm just not sure how late in the draft. I guess it all depends on the development of Brooks and Jones, and how long Caldwell and Wade Smith hold up.

CB/S I think we will resign McCain and GQ and hold what we have, although I know Rick Smith likes to get a DB or 2 somewhere in the draft. And with us hopefully having extra picks I think we will probably get at least 1 DB in the draft. Just not sure where, but probably late for depth.

WR/TE I think it's too early to give up on Jean, Martin, and Posey. I'm hoping, now that Jean will be playing again and K-Mart will be doing KR/PR, that Kubes will start using all 3 a little more in the passing game. They do need to step up. One area I was hoping to draft high in (1st or 2nd) was at TE. I want a "Gronk" clone. And right now we only have 2 listed TE's on our roster (OD and Graham) and OD will be 30 soon.

P They will probably keep D. Jones, but we had the "good young P" you were talking about last year. His name was Hartmann. Wish they could've kept him somehow because he had a strong leg, and if I'm not mistaken, they used him for kickoffs.

RB I could see them letting Tate go and getting a back late in the draft or UDFA.
RMartin65 & I have been tooting Andrew Jackson horn. Not great in coverage but monster against run.

badboy

Hall of Fame
A playmaking WR that can beat 1 on 1 coverage is a must. IMHO

AJ isn't getting any younger.

My 2 top prospects to fill this need are Aaron Dobson and Cordarrelle Patterson. What do y'all think of these guys and what do they go in?
Dobson from small school and needs better stats imo to wow Texans. C.P is real deal.

Insideop

All Pro
RMartin65 & I have been tooting Andrew Jackson horn. Not great in coverage but monster against run.
Yes he may be only a 2 down ILB but I like what I'm hearing about this kid. This is what WalterFootball had to say about him:

Andrew Jackson*, ILB, Western Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
9/22/12: Jackson has totaled 21 tackles this season. He held his own against Alabama with seven tackles and 1.5 tackles for a loss.

8/31/12: The Lakeland, Fla. product Jackson grew up in Ray Lewis' hometown and has patterned his game after the future Hall of Famer. Jackson had 109 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception and one forced fumble in 2011. The sophomore played well against the better competition with 12 tackles and a sack against Kentucky and eight tackles and a sack against LSU.

Jackson is a thumper of a linebacker. He has good instincts and some quickness. Jackson is extremely physical and has real presence on the field with a big-time demeanor. It was his first season of playing time, so the junior has a lot of potential and a high ceiling to get better in 2012 and 2013.

If he's there with the "last pick" :winky: of the 2nd I hope they take him. He probably won't make it to the end of 3rd. If he plays like they say he does I think he would be well worth it in the 2nd. Plus, I'm hoping with the extra picks we get for compensation, that we can package a couple together and move back up in the 2nd rd and maybe get a big/fast TE or maybe WR.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Posey hadn't played football in over a year. I think we'll see a different guy come December/January.

That said, I don't think he'll threaten to replace Andre, which I think is where we need to be looking for a WR, 1st or 2nd round.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Posey hadn't played football in over a year. I think we'll see a different guy come December/January.

That said, I don't think he'll threaten to replace Andre, which I think is where we need to be looking for a WR, 1st or 2nd round.
Did you see how Posey chased down Joe McKnight on that return?

That guy ran a 4.40 at the combine.
Posey came from across the field and was still able to catch up to him.
He didn't complete the tackle, but that was some serious speed he got there.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Did you see how Posey chased down Joe McKnight on that return?

That guy ran a 4.40 at the combine.
Posey came from across the field and was still able to catch up to him.
He didn't complete the tackle, but that was some serious speed he got there.
I was impressed by that, too. A lot of heart and desire to not give up on the play and some good speed to catch up to him.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
There are some things we still need to learn from this season.

1. Is the right side of our o-line going to be OK?
2. Did we have any WRs?
3. Do we have a guy who can challenge Wade Smith for the LG spot?

ILB -- If there is any way in hell we can get Teo, then we get Teo. Otherwise, we need someone to start grooming for the future cause I'm thinking Sharpton ain't the guy.

WR -- If no one steps up out of this WR class, then we need to get someone who will.

RB -- Because we're a run-oriented team. We need as many good young guys coming up through our system as we can get.

DT -- Obviously, Wade doesn't want a classic NT. So let's get a good DT who's better at what Shaun Cody does than either Shaun or Earl are.

CB -- Someone to groom and to learn to do what we need them to do. Can't have too many good CBs.

Insideop

All Pro
DT -- Obviously, Wade doesn't want a classic NT. So let's get a good DT who's better at what Shaun Cody does than either Shaun or Earl are.
The Packers game should have exposed why we need a "classic NT." With a classic NT being the guy that takes 2 O-linemen to block him, that frees up JJ Watt and/or your LB's to make plays. In the GB game Watt was taking the double coverage leaving Cody to make the play. Ain't happening! :smiliepalm: Don't know if Wade will draft a bigger NT, but we definitely need on that will command 2 blockers, so Watt or the LB's can do their thing.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
There are some things we still need to learn from this season.

1. Is the right side of our o-line going to be OK?
2. Did we have any WRs?
3. Do we have a guy who can challenge Wade Smith for the LG spot?

ILB -- If there is any way in hell we can get Teo, then we get Teo. Otherwise, we need someone to start grooming for the future cause I'm thinking Sharpton ain't the guy.

WR -- If no one steps up out of this WR class, then we need to get someone who will.

RB -- Because we're a run-oriented team. We need as many good young guys coming up through our system as we can get.

CB -- Someone to groom and to learn to do what we need them to do. Can't have too many good CBs.
Good assessment of each position that can use and upgrade.

I'm interested to see as the season wears on how Justin Forsett performs because it might mean we can move Tate for an extra pick because I don't forsee another big FA signing this off-season.

I do think 1st round WR and ILB are interchangeable depending on who is available. Would love to see the FO make a move up for someone, I think if there is ever going to be a time to make a move for someone to get us over the hump it's going to be this coming draft.

The only way I go 1st round DT is if you get a Ngata clone.

This is pretty much how I have this draft lined up as of today.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yes he may be only a 2 down ILB but I like what I'm hearing about this kid. This is what WalterFootball had to say about him:

Andrew Jackson*, ILB, Western Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
9/22/12: Jackson has totaled 21 tackles this season. He held his own against Alabama with seven tackles and 1.5 tackles for a loss.

8/31/12: The Lakeland, Fla. product Jackson grew up in Ray Lewis' hometown and has patterned his game after the future Hall of Famer. Jackson had 109 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception and one forced fumble in 2011. The sophomore played well against the better competition with 12 tackles and a sack against Kentucky and eight tackles and a sack against LSU.

Jackson is a thumper of a linebacker. He has good instincts and some quickness. Jackson is extremely physical and has real presence on the field with a big-time demeanor. It was his first season of playing time, so the junior has a lot of potential and a high ceiling to get better in 2012 and 2013.

If he's there with the "last pick" :winky: of the 2nd I hope they take him. He probably won't make it to the end of 3rd. If he plays like they say he does I think he would be well worth it in the 2nd. Plus, I'm hoping with the extra picks we get for compensation, that we can package a couple together and move back up in the 2nd rd and maybe get a big/fast TE or maybe WR.
nfldraftscout.com another source I use does not have Jackson even listed. I know what I see when I watch him. He seems to be in on almost every play. Unbelievable motor.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Packers game should have exposed why we need a "classic NT." With a classic NT being the guy that takes 2 O-linemen to block him, that frees up JJ Watt and/or your LB's to make plays. In the GB game Watt was taking the double coverage leaving Cody to make the play. Ain't happening! :smiliepalm: Don't know if Wade will draft a bigger NT, but we definitely need on that will command 2 blockers, so Watt or the LB's can do their thing.
Agree on bolded.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Good assessment of each position that can use and upgrade.

I'm interested to see as the season wears on how Justin Forsett performs because it might mean we can move Tate for an extra pick because I don't forsee another big FA signing this off-season.

I do think 1st round WR and ILB are interchangeable depending on who is available. Would love to see the FO make a move up for someone, I think if there is ever going to be a time to make a move for someone to get us over the hump it's going to be this coming draft.

The only way I go 1st round DT is if you get a Ngata clone.

This is pretty much how I have this draft lined up as of today.
Forsett signed one year deal so he would have to re-sign and if he has a good year, might go elsewhere.

Nose, Cody probably gone so you better get someone better than Mitchell and that would have to be before our second round selection.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Forsett signed one year deal so he would have to re-sign and if he has a good year, might go elsewhere.

Nose, Cody probably gone so you better get someone better than Mitchell and that would have to be before our second round selection.
Do I think Cody could be upgraded? Definitely, but I don't see him being a big re-sign unless Wade just wants to move on and feels he's going to or has plans to draft.

I think Grimes who I think is still on PS showed good flashes in Pre-season and could step into the 3rd down back position next season if Forsett isn't resigned. I do think it's going to be difficult for him to get a decent number of touches to warrant a huge contract elsewhere.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I think Grimes who I think is still on PS showed good flashes in Pre-season and could step into the 3rd down back position next season if Forsett isn't resigned. I do think it's going to be difficult for him to get a decent number of touches to warrant a huge contract elsewhere.
Signed away by the Jets.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB
No need. Schaub has been extended and Yates is a decent-solid backup option. Keenum is a project 3rd stringer. No real need to add.

RB
Foster has been extended, but Tate is up after 2013 and Forsett is on a one year deal. We have Meggett on PS, but he's not a viable #2 option yet. I've looked at RB quite a bit because I think it's very important for us to have a very good option behind Foster. Some guys that I like...

- Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State
- Giovanni Bernard, North Carolina
- Stephan Taylor, Stanford
- Jonathan Franklin, UCLA
- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

*It looks like a great RB class this year if a few guys come out early.

FB
I really like Casey and he has progressed splendidly. But I would like to see us add a guy here so Casey can play more TE. One guy I really like is Trey Millard from Oklahoma. Guy is an absolute monster. I would jump at the chance to take him in the 4th-5th round. This is more luxury than need.

WR
We really need to add a complementary piece to Andre. Someone who can take over for him in a few years. I love Walter, and he is money on crucial plays (especially 3rd down). But we need to add more playmakers. Adding Martin was a step. I really like Robert Woods (USC), he could come in and be a #2 immediately and take over for Andre down the road. Another guy who could contribute early is Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee), he can really stretch the field and make plays.

TE
Not really a need, but I would like to see us add a FB (to get Casey more TE looks) or add another TE later. Again, this is a luxury.

OL
We need interior help. Badly IMO. A couple guys I would take early shots at are Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, both from Alabama. Both could play OG, and in Jones' case he could play anywhere on the line. We could also take a shot at a mid-round OT like Xavier Nixon (Florida) to replace Butler. If we want to go OT early, Taylor Lewan (Michigan) might still be there.

DEFENSE:
DE
I haven't looked at many DE prospects yet. Sharrif Floyd (Florida) could be a guy to watch though. William Gholston (Michigan State) has worlds of untapped potential, but I don't know if he can put things together.

DT
NT is by far the weak spot up front for us. Many guys think we need to add a massive plugger, but it just seems to me like that's not going to happen. One guy I've loved for over a year now is Kawaan Short (Purdue). The guy is an absolute monster and can rush the passer from the inside. The only issue is if Wade thinks he would be a good fit at NT. Another guy I like is Akeem Spence (Illinois).

OLB
We don't really need an OLB if we re-sign Barwin, but I don't think we will. We didn't draft Mercilus to sit on the bench. If we don't retain him I think it would behoove us to draft another pass rusher. One guy who I absolutely love is Chase Thomas (Stanford).

ILB
Huge need, IMO. The one guy I would like to see us draft over all others is Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), but that just doesn't seem feasible. I really like Shayne Skov from Stanford as a backup option.

CB
I think we need more CB's. Or better CB's I should say. Ball is not a legitimate option and Carmichael is a ST player. I don't know what to make of Harris at this point. I would take Jonathan Banks (Mississippi State) in a heart beat. I also like Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) and Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State). Both of those guys could be 2nd-3rd round steals.

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB
No need. Schaub has been extended and Yates is a decent-solid backup option. Keenum is a project 3rd stringer. No real need to add.

RB
Foster has been extended, but Tate is up after 2013 and Forsett is on a one year deal. We have Meggett on PS, but he's not a viable #2 option yet. I've looked at RB quite a bit because I think it's very important for us to have a very good option behind Foster. Some guys that I like...

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB
I really like Casey and he has progressed splendidly. But I would like to see us add a guy here so Casey can play more TE. One guy I really like is Trey Millard from Oklahoma. Guy is an absolute monster. I would jump at the chance to take him in the 4th-5th round. This is more luxury than need.

WR
We really need to add a complementary piece to Andre. Someone who can take over for him in a few years. I love Walter, and he is money on crucial plays (especially 3rd down). But we need to add more playmakers. Adding Martin was a step. I really like Robert Woods (USC), he could come in and be a #2 immediately and take over for Andre down the road. Another guy who could contribute early is Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee), he can really stretch the field and make plays.

TE
Not really a need, but I would like to see us add a FB (to get Casey more TE looks) or add another TE later. Again, this is a luxury.

OL
We need interior help. Badly IMO. A couple guys I would take early shots at are Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, both from Alabama. Both could play OG, and in Jones' case he could play anywhere on the line. We could also take a shot at a mid-round OT like Xavier Nixon (Florida) to replace Butler. If we want to go OT early, Taylor Lewan (Michigan) might still be there.

DEFENSE:
DE
I haven't looked at many DE prospects yet. Sharrif Floyd (Florida) could be a guy to watch though. William Gholston (Michigan State) has worlds of untapped potential, but I don't know if he can put things together.

DT
NT is by far the weak spot up front for us. Many guys think we need to add a massive plugger, but it just seems to me like that's not going to happen. One guy I've loved for over a year now is Kawaan Short (Purdue). The guy is an absolute monster and can rush the passer from the inside. The only issue is if Wade thinks he would be a good fit at NT. Another guy I like is Akeem Spence (Illinois).

OLB
We don't really need an OLB if we re-sign Barwin, but I don't think we will. We didn't draft Mercilus to sit on the bench. If we don't retain him I think it would behoove us to draft another pass rusher. One guy who I absolutely love is Chase Thomas (Stanford).

ILB
Huge need, IMO. The one guy I would like to see us draft over all others is Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), but that just doesn't seem feasible. I really like Shayne Skov from Stanford as a backup option.

CB
I think we need more CB's. Or better CB's I should say. Ball is not a legitimate option and Carmichael is a ST player. I don't know what to make of Harris at this point. I would take Jonathan Banks (Mississippi State) in a heart beat. I also like Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) and Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State). Both of those guys could be 2nd-3rd round steals.

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.
must spread rep around, but very good post :barman:

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
Load up on OL (c,rg,rt), ILB, DT, and secondary. That should cover the next draft.

ILB or RT in first round.

badboy

Hall of Fame
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB

RB

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB

WR

TE

OL

DEFENSE:
DE

DT

OLB

ILB

CB

S
Quick comment on RB, need for #2 only a need if Tate is gone as you know so I am not seeing RB as a priority. That gives time for Meggett to develop.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Load up on OL (c,rg,rt), ILB, DT, and secondary. That should cover the next draft.

ILB or RT in first round.
Picking weak areas is half the battle but the easy part. What players do you recommend? Keep in mind we should be drafting no higher than about #28. Please don't just names off another's mock but tell us why you like the guy. I am assuming you watch games and tapes?

badboy

Hall of Fame
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB

RB

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB

WR

TE

OL

DEFENSE:
DE

DT

OLB

ILB

CB

S
I don't mean to be argumentative & do appreciate your post and effort. Which WR is Kubiak giving up on? Posey who has minimal playing time & Gary gave up a second to trade down and select? No. Martin who seemingly is what we expected? No. Lestar Jean who is the only potential to eventually replace AJ? Doubt it. Woods should be gone by our first pick & are you not

concerned by his drops or avg? Patterson is very good but probably returns to Tenn.

TE: 100% agree

OL: I see Dallas taking Barrett Jones as he can play any of their sucky positions. Warmack best OG and gone. Wade Smith is going nowhere unless Brooks vastly improves or Smith's health deteriorates. Jones should be our RG so don't see high pick for OL.

OLB: 100%agree
ILB: You must see something in Skov I don't. I've quit watching him.

CB:Banks should be gone in first, Poyer & Gilbert gone by our second. Would you give your first for either?

S: agree but check out Micah Hyde Iowa 6'1" 190 CB who would be perfect SS replacement if Quin goes and can play corner with 4.43 speed

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Patterson reminds me alot of a young AJ. He has that kind of ability. He will shoot up the draft boards after the combine. Allen will end up as the only WR drafted higher than Patterson. (I think he will come out early.)

Hyde is small for a S. He got in trouble with the law. Doesn't seem like a future Texan to me. Give me Swearinger in the 4th. A CB I really like that could be available later is Tharold Simon from LSU. He's not flashy but he does his job. (3rd/4th rd.